270soft Forum
daons

Map creation guide (paint.net)

I thought I would share a quick guide to map making for the 270soft games using paint.net

1. Create a new file in Paint.net with the canvass size set to 501 x 381.

1.png.8be61bf94a7b7758df480dfe3753ab1c.png

Find the image you are going to base the map on and paste on to the blank canvass resizing to fit the image on your canvass.

2.png.cc6f1f47a8a31332da86e1c9c7cff3a6.png

Now you need create a new layer

3.png.c1a7d09e97f859b390402bec0e177d1a.png

Now you have the new layer you need to select the pencil tool and trace the borders, preferably using black but you can use any colour and repaint later. I have used red for this example.

4.png.edde0cf77160e5d709e74a5a4a7e82dd.png

Now you can delete the background layer

5.png.f9b90f0227be63c0119a348ec0527b89.png

Your map should now look like this;

6.png.a5b7992d95d152e88b421671b380af10.png

Now you can start to fill in the map and repaint the outlines but when you do this, make sure the anti-aliasing is set to disabled, this will ensure any colour you fill in will not blur.

7.png.f01b2af3b3de5cb27a63a00a08fe0421.png

I often fill the background with a different colour to see if the map is clean of other unwanted colours and then use the magic wand feature to select the background and delete it again.

Your map should be like this, I use grey for the fill colour as it allows the text to be visible when placing co-ordinates and abbreviations in the PI, PMI editors.

8.png.28719f1a9955deec6db70272601067e2.png

I now paste the default background (main-map-background.bmp) as a new layer and set it to a lower priority to the map

9.png.9f68af08caaeffebd2a62889d864a7c6.png

If all is successful your map will look like this.

10.png.36ef6d77dad82feea094f587daf9fc0f.png

You will need to merge the two layers and then save as a bitmap image (24 bit)

11.png.41905ea393f5a3980238c786380c7d55.png

I would also recommend getting used to the various features/functions of paint.net as this will make it easier and quicker to create and edit maps. (and of course practice)

https://forums.getpaint.net/forum/18-tutorials-publishing-only/

If anyone has other tips/questions I can amend the tutorial.

Thanks

This is handy. I didn't know until now how to get a new map onto the default background without copy and pasting (which can mess the map up a bit).

3 hours ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

This is handy. I didn't know until now how to get a new map onto the default background without copy and pasting (which can mess the map up a bit).

Same.

Very helpful i could make a map of the 30th City Council district ( a ridiculously close race) this way.

16 minutes ago, PoliticalStudent said:

Do you have any alternative for Mac?

I don't know if Mac has any analog or similar program to Paint (which is a program that comes with Windows). You might have to cough up for Photoshop or other full commercial programs.

4 hours ago, PoliticalStudent said:

Gimp or Inkscape will do for Mac and Linux.

5 hours ago, PoliticalStudent said:

Alternativeto.net is a good site for finding alternative apps.

12 hours ago, PoliticalStudent said:

12 hours ago, Patine said:

I don't know if Mac has any analog or similar program to Paint (which is a program that comes with Windows). You might have to cough up for Photoshop or other full commercial programs.

I feel it's important to note that this thread is about Paint.NET, which is different from Microsoft Paint, but which was created in Microsoft code framework (the .NET framework).

As for Mac alternatives, I would second the suggestion of GIMP. It has a little higher learning curve, but it is a great program.