270soft Forum
Sunnymentoaddict

Election Day 2017!

It is election day for many parts of the US. NYC will most likely give a Democrat a second term as mayor for the first time since the 80's.Also in the state of New York is the vote on if the state should have a constitution convention. New Jersey and Virginia will be electing their government today( Governor, and State Assembly). Mayoral elections in major cities such as Atlanta, St Paul, and St Petersberg. 

If you live in a community with an election today, how will you be voting?

I'm in NY. Voted for the republican for County Executive (I'm in Westchester; he vetoed sanctuary county legislation over the Summer, so he earned my vote), and a mixture of both major parties for local offices.

We had three propositions (including the convention):

ConCon    Proposal 1    ConCon    Holds a constitutional convention
LRCA    Proposal 2    Gov't Acc    Allows judges to revoke the state pension of a public officer convicted of a felony related to officer's duties
LRCA    Proposal 3    Forests and Parks    Creates a 250-acre land bank to provide forest preserve land for local projects

Voted Yes, Yes, No

1 hour ago, thr33 said:

I'm in NY. Voted for the republican for County Executive (I'm in Westchester; he vetoed sanctuary county legislation over the Summer, so he earned my vote), and a mixture of both major parties for local offices.

We had three propositions (including the convention):

Voted Yes, Yes, No

I would have voted Yes on the 2nd one, but also Yes on the 3rd. I'm not sure how I would vote in regards to the Constitutional Convention, since I don't know what the major issues are with the current one are. 

2 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It is election day for many parts of the US. NYC will most likely give a Democrat a second term as mayor for the first time since the 80's.Also in the state of New York is the vote on if the state should have a constitution convention. New Jersey and Virginia will be electing their government today( Governor, and State Assembly). Mayoral elections in major cities such as Atlanta, St Paul, and St Petersberg. 

If you live in a community with an election today, how will you be voting?

My town has a Council election. The elections are staggered, 2 seats are up now, 3 seats will be up in 2019 following that pattern (5 seats total). The last time we had an election there was 4% turnout, similar to what @Patine described. There is a 15 year incumbent who was actually Deputy Mayor retiring this year so with only one incumbent running we will have a new face in Town Hall. The other candidates, besides the incumbent Councilman is a Field Hockey Coach at the local HS, there is a local Small Business Owner, and an IT manager, I'm excited to see who wins. The Council determine the budget for the local high school among myriad other local concerns, but people don't notice they are up for election because the local HS doesn't even get off to be a polling place. The only place you can vote is in Town Hall, which most don't know. The Council then elects the Mayor and his/her Deputy of my town. It really is sad and I doubt many more will get out to vote than 5% of the population. 

11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

My town has a Council election. The elections are staggered, 2 seats are up now, 3 seats will be up in 2019 following that pattern (5 seats total). The last time we had an election there was 4% turnout, similar to what @Patine described. There is a 15 year incumbent who was actually Deputy Mayor retiring this year so with only one incumbent running we will have a new face in Town Hall. The other candidates, besides the incumbent Councilman is a Field Hockey Coach at the local HS, there is a local Small Business Owner, and an IT manager, I'm excited to see who wins. The Council determine the budget for the local high school among myriad other local concerns, but people don't notice they are up for election because the local HS doesn't even get off to be a polling place. The only place you can vote is in Town Hall, which most don't know. The Council then elects the Mayor and his/her Deputy of my town. It really is sad and I doubt many more will get out to vote than 5% of the population. 

Oh god. I hate the low voter participation in non state/federal elections. My school board superintendent is the poster child for corruption(giving wife a 90K do nothing job, giving all landscaping contracts to his brother's business). However, thanks to low turnout, he won reelection a few months ago. 

I'm in New Jersey. Phil Murphy (aka Mr. Goldman Sachs as I call him) is obviously going to win, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you look at the republican option. I opted to vote for the Green Party candidate instead though. 

36 minutes ago, MysteryKnight said:

I'm in New Jersey. Phil Murphy (aka Mr. Goldman Sachs as I call him) is obviously going to win, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you look at the republican option. I opted to vote for the Green Party candidate instead though. 

In 1997, I actually voted for the Natural Law Party. They were a really good protest vote. But they were exclusively a thing of the '90's in all the (surprisingly many) countries they ran in.

8 minutes ago, Sami said:

It seems that Northam will win in Virginia as he's gaining % every time.

It is closer for the Lt-Governor of Virginia.

only 46% reporting with Northam havign a 2 point lead.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

only 46% reporting with Northam havign a 2 point lead.

Yep, it's a good news for the Republicans

The Democrats suffered a lot in the governorship elections under the Obama years, it seems the Republicans are resisting despite the Trump first year in office.

I predict that Northam will finish between 52 and 54%

Like in 2016, the Democrats begin low and then accentuate their %

It seems it's played for them

The LT governor is also almost elected

The Rep will be between 42 and 46%.

If I had to estimate I would say Northam 53% Gillepsie 46%

For New Jersey it's a bit too let for me :p.

va exit polls show trump was not a factor in the race. lt gov race is tigher would be interseting if the republicans won that  ed was also a never trump who accept his endorsement once he saw his numbers were low.

Just now, Sami said:

I love how the medias are already calling NJ for the Dems.

Like California in 2016 at 11 PM, no need for counting votes.

IT FUCKING RIG JEB! WON IT IN A LANDSLIDE!!!!

1 minute ago, Sami said:

I love how the medias are already calling NJ for the Dems.

Like California in 2016 at 11 PM, no need for counting votes.

We can't do that in Canada. As I mentioned in another post recently, Canadian politics are tumultuous, unpredictable, and with notoriously high turnover rates, to the point that Canada, of all nations that use an FPTP election system, is said to have no "safe seats" and no "reliable solid <insert party> territory."

voted first time for my mayor and town council ((we have 3 people on it and we have 6 people who the ballot you vote for 3)) mines were all for the communist party. joking it was the republicans who color are red for some reason we need to switch the colors back.

Just now, Patine said:

We can't do that in Canada. As I mentioned in another post recently, Canadian politics are tumultuous, unpredictable, and with notoriously high turnover rates, to the point that Canada, of all nations that use an FPTP election system, is said to have no "safe seats" and no "reliable solid <insert party> territory."

Ah you're Canadian!

From where?

The Parti Québécois is offering me a job in Longueuil the next summer (a).