270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kieron

1844, 1896, 1920, 1924, 1928, 1932 Any Comments?

'32: :( The candidates are good... however the issues are bad (and poorly worded), and the state percentages are all wrong.

'28: Better. MA and RI should be Smith, I think (Dave Leip's US Election Atlas is down :() Once again: the issues need work.

frenchfisher,

re 1932. It looked alright to me regarding issues. It talked about Smoot/Hawley 1930, Davis Bacon etc. Are you sure you're looking at the right 1932?

re 1928. If memory serves me nothing really went on that year - it was all about prohibition and religion, and as the economy was strong it was pretty much a slam dunk for Hoover from the start?

frenchfisher,

re 1932. It looked alright to me regarding issues. It talked about Smoot/Hawley 1930, Davis Bacon etc. Are you sure you're looking at the right 1932?

re 1928. If memory serves me nothing really went on that year - it was all about prohibition and religion, and as the economy was strong it was pretty much a slam dunk for Hoover from the start?

1932: It's not the actual issues I have problems with, it's the writeup. For instance:

Davis/Bacon Act, CR: We Should be Wary of introducing a Minimum Wage

And the positions themselves aren't that different from each other.

1928: See 1932.

But wasn't DB all about minimum amd prevailing wage rates. At least about government intervention in the wage issue?

Just for the record, how would you have worded it?

thanks guys for the feedback. Any further advice/comments welcome. If you feel like making changed and reposting them then it's fine by me. The more input we have the better the scenarios will be!

By the way, 1932 was based on the original 1932 that was put in a little while back. I just used the state percentages from that. Bad move probably....

By the way, 1932 was based on the original 1932 that was put in a little while back. I just used the state percentages from that. Bad move probably....

Yeah, bad move :(

For instance, SC is 'Hoover Solid'. However, SC happened to be the state where Roosevelt got his highest percentage of vote (98%) :D

Hoover won the following states: PA, DE, CT, VT, NH, ME

Here's a table of the popular vote:

http://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/dat...=national&def=1

Just for the record, how would you have worded it?

Something like this:

L: We need a high minimum wage to protect worker's rights.

CL: We should institute a minimum wage.

C: We should explore creation of a minimum wage.

CR: No minimum wage; it could wreck the economy.

R: A minimum wage would hurt businesses profits!

Thanks again guys. Keep the suggestions coming. It would be a good idea to use the real figures for electorate trends - that didn't occur to me.

I will go through them, make the changes, and repost them!

Tony, I think it would be a good idea if you remove all of my scenarios when you get time. Using the actual results as a base for electorate trends is a sound idea, and I will get working on it. Perhaps you could also hold back on the revised 1920 that I sent in but hasn't yet appeared too?

Any other suggestions for the revised versions still gratefully received!