270soft Forum
SalmonD88

Editing questions

I have a couple of questions relating to editing.

1. How can I make new states? Like for example, taking southern Oregon and northern California to make the proposed state of Jefferson?

2. Is it possible to change a state from one political column to a different one? I'm modding some scenarios that have less or more states and need to balance the parties.

11 minutes ago, SalmonD88 said:

I have a couple of questions relating to editing.

1. How can I make new states? Like for example, taking southern Oregon and northern California to make the proposed state of Jefferson?

2. Is it possible to change a state fom one political column to a different one? I'm modding some scenarios that have less or more states and need to balance the parties.

1.On the map or in-game?

2.Just change percentages in the regions percentages columns. What scenarios are you making?

1. Both

2. A series of the Union after losing the civil war, going from 1868 to at least 2020. For now, only the otl confederacy is absent from the election maps.

I have an example below.

Anyway, obviously removing the south causes some electoral problems such as one party absolutely dominating the election. Right now I am just doing experimental elections to test this out before it gets more elaborate. Such as ''drafting'' non-otl candidates, bringing in women and minority candidates early, and modding or creating new major political parties (currently researching defunct political parties as well as those of Britain, Japan, Germany, and maybe Sweden and Russia). For now, this for my own amusement but that will change.

Thank you and appreciate all the help

jfkhumphrey60nixonlodge.JPG

@SalmonD88

1.Using a tool like Paint delete the black lines seperating the states and draw a new one. In the editor make a new regions and set the fill to the new region created on the map.

2.Just change the percentages in the remaining states

2 hours ago, SalmonD88 said:

1. Both

2. A series of the Union after losing the civil war, going from 1868 to at least 2020. For now, only the otl confederacy is absent from the election maps.

I have an example below.

Anyway, obviously removing the south causes some electoral problems such as one party absolutely dominating the election. Right now I am just doing experimental elections to test this out before it gets more elaborate. Such as ''drafting'' non-otl candidates, bringing in women and minority candidates early, and modding or creating new major political parties (currently researching defunct political parties as well as those of Britain, Japan, Germany, and maybe Sweden and Russia). For now, this for my own amusement but that will change.

Thank you and appreciate all the help

jfkhumphrey60nixonlodge.JPG

Something to consider (putting aside my personal belief and one based on poignant article I read in a science journal that completely changed my viewpoint from the mainstream view of the viability of predicting or extrapolating from a significant change in the past of alternate history or time travel fiction) is that, if the Union lost the Civil War, they probably wouldn't have had the spare cash up front to outbid the British in buying Alaska from the Russians in 1867 (the U.S. historically outbid the British Empire by one dollar), and thus it's not likely at all that the U.S. would have Alaska either - it'd likely become part of Canada.

5 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

@SalmonD88

1.Using a tool like Paint delete the black lines seperating the states and draw a new one. In the editor make a new regions and set the fill to the new region created on the map.

2.Just change the percentages in the remaining states

So I tried paint and the end result was decent until I imported the map and made changes. But it was utter chaos after that.

I enclosed the map below before it was added to PI.

noreunionmap.bmp

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Something to consider (putting aside my personal belief and one based on poignant article I read in a science journal that completely changed my viewpoint from the mainstream view of the viability of predicting or extrapolating from a significant change in the past of alternate history or time travel fiction) is that, if the Union lost the Civil War, they probably wouldn't have had the spare cash up front to outbid the British in buying Alaska from the Russians in 1867 (the U.S. historically outbid the British Empire by one dollar), and thus it's not likely at all that the U.S. would have Alaska either - it'd likely become part of Canada.

Ah true.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, SalmonD88 said:

So I tried paint and the end result was decent until I imported the map and made changes. But it was utter chaos after that.

I enclosed the map below before it was added to PI.

noreunionmap.bmp

I'll test it soon.

So what other states or territories might not belong to the Union under this premise? So far I've eliminated West Virginia but kept Kentucky and Missouri.

Here's some changes to otl:

13th amendment frees slaves in the north too.
Lincoln barely wins reelection, with Daniel Dickinson as his running mate.
Lincoln still assassinated, Dickinson and his successor bungles things and civil war continues into 1866.
Grant attends Ford's Theater as well and dies when he tackles Booth off the balcony.
South wins independence with a Korean War like armistice, later amended into a lasting peace treaty.
US congress passes Anthony act (an early 19th amendment) in 1878. Ratified in 1880.

I'm going to guess from your "utter chaos" comment that you now have regions overlapping with each other or not included.

In the editor, for the regions tab, there are two sets of x/y coordinates. One is to place the state's label, the other is to "fill" the area in the game map and confine regions to themselves (in other words the black border is used by the game engine to understand where one state ends and another begins). You'll need to make sure when editing regions that none of them have x/y coordinates within the same region (inside those black borders). If that happens, then, yeah "utter chaos" is what you'd get.