270soft Forum
vcczar

The 1892 Populist Party Platform Poll

The 1892 Populist Party Platform Poll  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Imagine you are yourself as a poor Western farmer-laborer, deeply in debt to state and Eastern banks amid a deep recession. What parts of the 1892 Populist platform would you support?

• Free and unlimited coinage of silver (Causes inflation which would, in theory, allow farmer's to better pay back their massive debts)
    • A graduated income tax, or a progressive tax (decreasing it for the poor by increasing it for the wealthy)
    • Keep taxes and tariffs low, and only high enough to pay for revenue and government expenses
    • Set up postal savings banks for the safe depositing of earnings of the people who do not have access to banks (banks at the local post office).
    • Government should own and operate the railroads for the interest of the people (This keeps the control from the monopolies and Robber Baron's)
    • Telephone, Telegraph, and post-office systems should be government owned and run (Same reason as #5)
    • Western lands should not go to railroad interests, corporations, or to foreigners, but to people settling the West
    • Use of Secret Ballots/Anonymous voting, to prevent voter intimidation, blackmailing, and vote buying. (Voting had been public in some states, sometimes even oral ballots)
    • Increased pensions to Union veterans of the Civil War (most would be between 45 and 75 years old, many of them disabled)
    • Protect labor by restricting immigration and enforcing stronger contract labor laws (aimed primarily at the Chinese in California.)
    • Demand an 8-hour work day, that is enforced under a penalty, for government work (With the hope it would soon spread to non-government work)
    • Abolish the Pinkerton System which is a menace to our liberties (Hired agents, which infiltrated Unions, intimidated workers, broke up strikes and protests, etc.)
    • Introduce initiative and referendum into our political system (Allowing people to vote on or repeal legislation if they gain enough signatures)
    • Limit the president and VP to a single term (This was a jab at Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland, both seeking 2nd terms.)
    • Direct elections of US Senators (They were selected by state legislatures)
    • Abolishing subsidies or any federal aid to corporations (In short, government can only aid the people, and not those wealthy enough to own a corporation)
    • Unofficially support women's suffrage, but refrain from including it in the platform for the sake of our Southern supporters.
    • Unofficially support biracial cooperation in our party, but refrain from including it in the platform for the sake of our Southern supporters.
    • Unofficially support Prohibition, but refrain from including it in the platform for the sake of our German-American, various other supporters.
    • None! I refute this entire Platform, even if I am a poor Western Farmer-Laborer. This platform is no good for the country!
  2. 2. After having attended this 1892 Populist Convention, and learned of their platform, who do you support on election day?

• The Populist Party under Fmr. Union Gen and US Rep. James B. Weaver, with former Confederate officer James Field as VP.
    • The Republican Party under incumbent Pres. Benjamin Harrison, which supported both a gold and silver standard, high tariff, and federal enforcement of voting rights
    • The Democratic Party under Fmr. Pres. Grover Cleveland, who supports a gold standard only, a low tariff, and no federal enforcement of voting rights
    • I would not vote for either of these parties, and leave the decision up to everyone else.
  3. 3. Is the 1892 Populist Party an antecedent to the Conservative Populism of George Wallace or Donald Trump, or is it an antecedent of Progressive Populism like Robert La Follette or Bernie Sanders?

• It has clearly much more in common with Conservative Populism
    • It has clearly much more in common with Progressive Populism
    • It is clearly equally the antecedent of both.
    • It is clearly unrelated to later Populist movements.

Here's a new poll. Please post comments. 

1. Tried answering honestly

2. Republican because of tariffs and gold/silver standard (assuming I understood economics)

3. Progressive Populism

It seems like @Reagan04 likes public voting.

1. Tried answering honestly like @ThePotatoWalrus

2 .Populist party as most of their platform would appeal to me

3.Progressive populism

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Trump probably would have lost under public voting

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

What do you mean?

6 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Trump probably would have lost under public voting

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

What do you mean?

You didn't choose the "use of secret ballots/anonymous voting" option and checked "None! I refute this entire Platform, even if I am a poor Western Farmer-Laborer. This platform is no good for the country!" so I assume you are in favor of public voting

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Agreed.

You didn't choose the "use of secret ballots/anonymous voting" option and checked "None! I refute this entire Platform, even if I am a poor Western Farmer-Laborer. This platform is no good for the country!" so I assum you are in favor of public voting

Ah, honestly I despise the Populist party, I couldnt be brought to support any idea of theirs, unlike the Democrats, I just cant deal with them.

13 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Ah, honestly I despise the Populist party, I couldnt be brought to support any idea of theirs, unlike the Democrats, I just cant deal with them.

Not even Sal Albanese?

Not even Sal Albanese?

I don't think you understand, I can do some Dems, I just despise the impact of the Populists.

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I don't think you understand, I can do some Dems, I just despise the impact of the Populists.

I was just teasing.

27 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@Reagan04, with all due respect, I think you have absolutely no idea what kind of life or hardship it was to be a poor farmer in the Western U.S. in the late 19th Century and just how they were actually exploited, cheated, and institutionally abused by wealthy Democrats AND Republicans in the East, and I'm not sure your resolve would REALLY be that solid if you actually HAD grown up in and had to endure such a background and lifestyle. It's easy to SAY you would have had that conviction from where you sit comfortably now.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

@Reagan04, with all due respect, I think you have absolutely no idea what kind of life or hardship it was to be a poor farmer in the Western U.S. in the late 19th Century and just how they were actually exploited, cheated, and institutionally abused by wealthy Democrats AND Republicans in the East, and I'm not sure your resolve would REALLY be that solid if you actually HAD grown up in and had to endure such a background and lifestyle. It's easy to SAY you would have had that conviction from where you sit comfortably now.

This is 100% correct.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

This is 100% correct.

That response has 50% contradicting the other 50%...

1 minute ago, Patine said:

That response has 50% contradicting the other 50%...

oy vey, and how is that?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

oy vey, and how is that?

Because your agreeing with me in a statement that completely challenges your genuine understanding and empathy with the situation to make your previous comment, but I still think you hold to your previous comment, which makes you come across as uniformed, insincere, detached, and thoughtlessly clinging to your stated ideological line regardless of the context or logic of the issue stated (the latter of which is, in broad application in all political ideological viewpoints, one of the BIGGEST problems in modern politics, and one modern political culture should disabuse itself of entirely, as it does more harm than good).

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Because your agreeing with me in a statement that completely challenges your genuine understanding and empathy with the situation to make your previous comment, but I still think you hold to your previous comment, which makes you come across as uniformed, insincere, detached, and thoughtlessly clinging to your stated ideological line regardless of the context or logic of the issue stated (the latter of which is, in broad application in all political ideological viewpoints, one of the BIGGEST problems in modern politics, and one modern political culture should disabuse itself of entirely, as it does more harm than good).

No, I am simply saying, not you nor I can understand what we would think, and I know that in the end the policies of Populist will wind up hurting farmers, but I can never know if I'd have that foresight, so I stick to my answer, but you are correct, I can't simulate that experience.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

No, I am simply saying, not you nor I can understand what we would think, and I know that in the end the policies of Populist will wind up hurting farmers, but I can never know if I'd have that foresight, so I stick to my answer, but you are correct, I can't simulate that experience.

"Imagine you are yourself as a poor Western farmer-laborer, deeply in debt to state and Eastern banks amid a deep recession. What parts of the 1892 Populist platform would you support?" I am very doubtful of the idea that you'd have that level of foresight.

"Imagine you are yourself as a poor Western farmer-laborer, deeply in debt to state and Eastern banks amid a deep recession. What parts of the 1892 Populist platform would you support?" I am very doubtful of the idea that you'd have that level of foresight.

Yeah I get it, but the Populists were disastrous, though what is the weight of one internet poll you know what I mean, not a huge deal.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Yeah I get it, but the Populists were disastrous, though what is the weight of one internet poll you know what I mean, not a huge deal.

A potential to open your mind just a bit and imagine things from another perspective, even if only through extrapolation and creative empathy. An oppotunity who willfullly missed out on with several coy responses - a typical reaction by many sheltered adolescents on the Intenet, unfortunately. I weep for the future...

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

A potential to open your mind just a bit and imagine things from another perspective, even if only through extrapolation and creative empathy. An oppotunity who willfullly missed out on with several coy responses - a typical reaction by many sheltered adolescents on the Intenet, unfortunately. I weep for the future...

Oh my Lord.... We get it Patine, you like to be condescending. I am trying to have an adult conversation but your churlishness is making it exceedingly hard.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Oh my Lord.... We get it Patine, you like to be condescending. I am trying to have an adult conversation but your churlishness is making it exceedingly hard.

As is your sometimes unrealistic stubborness and lack of desire or willingness to "veer from the script," if you will. We all have our flaws.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

I find it hard to imagine anyone not supporting any part of the platform if they were in the situation described or even in general. I'd weep for the future as well but I think by now I'm at the acceptance stage.

5 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

Damn, I forgot to click this statement. :D 

6 hours ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

I find it hard to imagine anyone not supporting any part of the platform if they were in the situation described or even in general. I'd weep for the future as well but I think by now I'm at the acceptance stage.

I'm not sure that the single term limit would be universally supported by many of us even in that situation, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Even within the beliefs of a debt stricken farmer, I think that it would be not a real concern other than a jab at the past few presidents and not real policy.