270soft Forum

Apologies, I don't know that I have the time to commit, and I don't really know a ton about the 88 election. I will follow along if it takes off though. Best of luck.

Problem is both hw and kemp are way more conservative than me.

-stassen enters the race-

"President Reagan was by far the most successful president we have ever had. I am the right man to succeed him as an elder Statesman in the party. I am Harold Stassen and I am running for President"

On 10/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, Presidentinsertname said:

Prediction Harold Stassen is going to win 50 states plus dc landslide.

He is moderate enough....

6 hours ago, jdm06ltd said:

He is moderate enough....

Moderates lose though sooo...

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Are you saying a 50 state plus DC sweep is more likely, or even realistically likely, for a candidate with an extreme platform?

10 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

So do bible thumpers....

19 hours ago, Patine said:

Are you saying a 50 state plus DC sweep is more likely, or even realistically likely, for a candidate with an extreme platform?

Not at all, but Reagan got close with a PRINCIPLED one, the base is what matters

9 hours ago, jdm06ltd said:

So do bible thumpers....

Not true at all, they win more often. Those with an Evangelical base that is.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Not at all, but Reagan got close with a PRINCIPLED one, the base is what matters

Not true at all, they win more often. Those with an Evangelical base that is.

What you don't seem to understand about Reagan's victory is three important things:

1 - Reagan was actually running on quite a moderate campaign platform compared to figures like Cruz, Huckabee, Palin, Perry, or even Paul, if you look at things comparatively.

2 - Mondale was a very weak candidate in 1984.

3 - There were MANY other factors outside of, and unrelated to, Reagan's platform and message directly that led to that massive victory too.

1988: Al Gore launchs his campain for the presidency

Résultat d’images pour al gore 1988

Al Gore: Today I hereby invite all democratic members to join my campain for the next presidency!

The Reagan era will end soon, and the DNC needs someone in the Center, someone from the South to take back a lot of States we loosed since 1976.

America also needs a president that will push forward and end the Cold War. We are able to lead America toward prosperity and stability and also to face the problems which are coming.

Only a moderate Democrat can take back the Center that we loosed in 1984. And our team as myself are the elements our party needs for the presidency!

1988: Bob Dole Announces Presidential Bid

5bWjwK3.jpg

Bob Dole: Today I officially announce my 1988 President Bid!

I highly respect President Reagan's policies, but there are some issues where I feel applying a moderate touch would greatly improve our already flourishing country. We need a President who can carry on the greatness of Reagan's presidency, but make sure it stays strong and in tune with the American people. I would love to use my experience to carry out this job, and I am ready to serve the American people and keep American Prosperity!

Pat1.thumb.PNG.dbbc8829e8e4f96ae08dd8a39c4388eb.PNG

Pat Robertson Announces bid for Presidency in Brooklyn, New York: 1987

Pat Robertson promises to be strong on Morals, Free Enterprise, and putting American Interests first. He is the first to fire up the Old Right, often called Paleoconservatives, in several decades and is sure to ignite Right-Wing and Religious turnout.

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Pat1.thumb.PNG.dbbc8829e8e4f96ae08dd8a39c4388eb.PNG

Pat Robertson Announces bid for Presidency in Brooklyn, New York: 1987

Pat Robertson promises to be strong on Morals, Free Enterprise, and putting American Interests first. He is the first to fire up the Old Right, often called Paleoconservatives, in several decades and is sure to ignite Right-Wing and Religious turnout.

God save us from Pat Robertson! :P

Micheal Dukakis announces bid for the White House!

Mike Dukakis: Today, I shall officially announce my candidacy for the Democratic Nomination for President of the United States. It'll be a long road of primaries and caucuses for us but I believe that together we will overcome whatever challenges may come. I am a capable, pragmatic leader who will bring the Massachusetts Miracle to bear on a national scale. We will move past Reagan's scandals and into the future. As Governor of Massachusetts, I have led a capable administration of that state. I will take this to the national level and undo eight years of failure under Ronald Reagan.

michael-dukakis-1988.jpg