Jump to content
270soft Forum
RP Overlord

1988 Roleplay

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Joshen said:

iirc hw's approval rating spiked up by 20% near the gulf war. maybe if he doesn't get hit by the economy downturn as bad, his approval rating stays pretty high

The Gulf War, to be fair, wasn't much of a "war" to be proud of being President during - it was moreso international bullying, in effect. But you do have a point about the approval rating spike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patine said:

The Gulf War, to be fair, wasn't much of a "war" to be proud of being President during - it was moreso international bullying, in effect. But you do have a point about the approval rating spike.

And Robertson wouldn't be as weakened by Party Disunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

And Robertson wouldn't be as weakened by Party Disunity.

Robertson was more extreme than Reagan or Bush, and a higher percentage of the GOP were "establishment" and not "far-right conservative" back then. I see quite the opposite of that statement, honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Robertson was more extreme than Reagan or Bush, and a higher percentage of the GOP were "establishment" and not "far-right conservative" back then. I see quite the opposite of that statement, honestly.

The biggest form of disunity came unto Bush from his "No New Taxes" in the form of Buchanan. I think with a Grassroots Conservative in office the Party would be rather united.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

The biggest form of disunity came unto Bush from his "No New Taxes" in the form of Buchanan. I think with a Grassroots Conservative in office the Party would be rather united.

I think his extreme policies in other areas would likely cause friction in ways Bush didn't. Robertson was more socially conservative than any U.S. President since arguably Buchanan - in the late 20th Century, the effects of such a President might have caused backlash from various sources, including a few GOP ones, that Bush didn't face. The '80's and early '90's didn't even yet have the social conservative "revival" movement, if you will, that started in the 21st Century - I know this because I was around back then. The far-right social conservatives, while they were certainly there, and quite vocal and prominent, were at somewhat of an ebb in influence compared to today in the United States.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think his extreme policies in other areas would likely cause friction in ways Bush didn't. Robertson was more socially conservative than any U.S. President since arguably Buchanan - in the late 20th Century, the effects of such a President might have caused backlash from various sources, including a few GOP ones, that Bush didn't face. The '80's and early '90's didn't even yet have the social conservative "revival" movement, if you will, that started in the 21st Century - I know this because I was around back then. The far-right social conservatives, while they were certainly there, and quite vocal and prominent, were at somewhat of an ebb in influence compared to today in the United States.

While I agree with that in sentiment, Reagan's sparking of their rebirth in American society, would have in my opinion, been expedited by Robertson and their influence would have been more rapidly asserted by the early 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reagan04 said:

While I agree with that in sentiment, Reagan's sparking of their rebirth in American society, would have in my opinion, been expedited by Robertson and their influence would have been more rapidly asserted by the early 90s.

Reagan didn't win AT ALL on social issues. They were absolutely dwarfed in significance by economic and foreign issues. In fact, the so-called "Reagan Democrats," are probably the biggest single voting bloc of strategic voters in a U.S. Presidential election for decades - the majority of them didn't give a damn about social issues - they wanted Reagan's promises of jobs and economic recovery as a FAR higher priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Reagan didn't win AT ALL on social issues. They were absolutely dwarfed in significance by economic and foreign issues. In fact, the so-called "Reagan Democrats," are probably the biggest single voting bloc of strategic voters in a U.S. Presidential election for decades - the majority of them didn't give a damn about social issues - they wanted Reagan's promises of jobs and economic recovery as a FAR higher priority.

I agree there, but you are missing the point. Reagan was still a social conservative, and it was with the Reagan Revolution that Social and Cultural Conservatives came to rise again in American politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reagan04 said:

I agree there, but you are missing the point. Reagan was still a social conservative, and it was with the Reagan Revolution that Social and Cultural Conservatives came to rise again in American politics.

Not to the degree you're thinking nearly so. The Republican Revolution of 1994 and the founding of the Tea Party Express in 2010 I'll definitely give, but the Reagan Revolution moreso reaffirmed those who already had those beliefs strongly, mostly, with maybe some expansion, but not NEARLY as much the other two events I listed. Also, I remember back in the '80's that a lot less preachers had the incendiary, condemnatory, and "fire-and-brimstone" you often see so prevalently - though again, they did exist. Also, issues like homosexuality, abortion, and such were brought up FAR less by proponents for or against in the '80's - I, myself, didn't know what the word "gay" even meant until I was in Grade 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However if some are interested such as @Joshen and @Patine here are the historical differences with Al Gore

=> The economy is a bit less liberalized than with Bill Clinton (the banking regulation is the only major change)

=> The Liberal economic freedom still happens in the transnational pacts

=> The Palestinian question and the right for a path to a country happens before the era of Clinton

=>The US WILL BE HIGHLY MORE INTERESTED to help Gorbatchev and his democratic reforms than with Bush

=>The civil rights movement act will rise sooner than expected but no major change on abortion (Gore was progressist on gay rights but quite moderate on abortion)

=>No expansion of the state

=>Same intervention than Bush in 1991 as the UN did that

The major changes would have been in 2000 as the real Al Gore said xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

September 23rd 1988

National

Al Gore 47.8%

Pat Robertson 45.6%

California

Al Gore 52%

Pat Robertson 45%

Florida

Pat Robertson 49%

Al Gore 48%

Iowa

Al Gore 49%

Pat Robertson 47%

Minnesota

Al Gore 51%

Pat Robertson 45%

Tennessee

Al Gore 50%

Pat Robertson 47%

Virginia

Pat Robertson 51%

Al Gore 46%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al Gore commandor in chief turns began:

Al Gore HQ:

The Americans love War veterans and soldiers, let's give them the most beautiful picture of Albert Gore.

A national broadcast (my whole turn is in my reply)

Music of the add

3b8d1c0c4885e7f2116ce4ca7c1bd36a.jpg

This man...Albert Gore Jr

From the beginning of his life, served his country with obediance and dignity.

From a proud citizen who became a man.

Al_Gore_wedding.jpg

To a nominee for his party:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-jGm1XQFWYGH4YDGcVAH

Al Gore is one of those who always serve, in good as in bad moments.

He is determined to become the commandor in chief this nation needs to keep.


Then, a meeting of Al Gore appears, still on the add

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn8zhonkai-f9sD77nhLf

With me, there will be NO IRAN CONTRA case, NO high costs in war.

Pres Reagan got a strong and clear leadership during the beginning of the 80's but it's time for America to understand that the money we use in missiles can be used in others things, like education, healthcare, modern security!

What America needs is a modern and adapted foreign policy, ready for the 21st century.

We have to be the ruler of the United Nations, but the wished ruler of these United Nations.

We also have to be the defenders of freedom and liberty

Liberty we gave to the Cubans who crossed the sea to come here in America.

Liberty Abraham Lincoln gave to the colored people by granting them the right to vote!

Liberty the great L.B.Johnson gave to these same persons by finally supporting the Voting act of 1964 and by starting of a massive plan to fight great poverty!

It's time for America to play a key role of mediator, I passed months in Vietnam to follow the events on the military ground, many among you lost a father, a brother, a cousin in this horrible war, it's only by being the watch of the peace with our allies around the globe that we will reach a global and final peace.

Payed by Al Gore for America

Al Gore vision of the evolution of America from unilateralism to multilateralism spread in meeting:

-Nashville Tennesse: add campain

-Miami, Florida: add campain

-Charlote: North Carolina: add campain turn

-lLittlerock: Arkanasas: add campain turn

Missouri: add campain turn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Senate Election Polls

~ incumbent 

California 

Harrison Ford (D) 51%

~Pete Wilson (R) 46%

Connecticut 

Joe Lieberman (D) 51%

~Lowell Weicker Jr. (R) 48%

Florida

Connie Mack III (R) 48%

~Buddy MacKay  (D) 48%

Massachusetts 

~Ted Kennedy (D) 75%

Joe Malone  (R) 23%

Mississippi 

Trent Lott  (R) 58%

~Wayne Dowdy (D) 41%

Texas

~Lloyd Bentsen (D) 49%

Ron Paul (R) 48%

Vermont 

~Jim Jeffords (R) 50%

Bernie Sanders (D) 49%

West Virginia 

Joe Manchin (D) 50%

~Robert Byrd (R) 49%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RP Overlord Debate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Harry Campaigns for Pat in PA-

'Robertson will keep your joba here, Al Gore is an environmentalist, he likes trees and will pick a forest over a factory'

 

Harry campaigns for Pat in St Paul

 

'Minnesotans, are the best kinds of folks, they are of great mixed culter and mixed history, and Al Gore is wrong to represent us, he doesnt represent the family values that Minnesotans hold dear'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jdm06ltd said:

'Minnesotans, are the best kinds of folks, they are of great mixed culter and mixed history, and Al Gore is wrong to represent us, he doesnt represent the family values that Minnesotans hold dear'

OOC: I bet you say that to the people of every State you campaign in... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

OOC: I bet you say that to the people of every State you campaign in... :P

Pretty much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jdm06ltd said:

Pretty much

That was actually a play on old movie cliché that was common in the '50's, where the male lead makes a big, long, drawn-out, romantic, even poetic spiel to the female lead, and she nonchalantly (often after lighting a cigarette or sipping a drink) says, "I bet you tell all the girls that." :P

But since your RP character got started in politics in the '50's, I thought the reference was appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Patine said:

That was actually a play on old movie cliché that was common in the '50's, where the male lead makes a big, long, drawn-out, romantic, even poetic spiel to the female lead, and she nonchalantly (often after lighting a cigarette or sipping a drink) says, "I bet you tell all the girls that." :P

But since your RP character got started in politics in the '50's, I thought the reference was appropriate.

He started in the 40s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jdm06ltd said:

He started in the 40s

Well, he certainly would have been around and in his prime (as politicians go) in the '50's...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdm06ltd said:

He started in the 40s

 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Well, he certainly would have been around and in his prime (as politicians go) in the '50's...

Actually it was the 30s, first being elected Minnesota Governor in 1938.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reagan04 said:

 

Actually it was the 30s, first being elected Minnesota Governor in 1938.

Now you're just quibbling... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre Debate Polls

National

Al Gore 48.3%

Pat Robertson 45.5%

California

Al Gore 52%

Pat Robertson 45%

Colorado

Al Gore 48%

Pat Robertson 48%

Florida

Pat Robertson 48%

Al Gore 47%

Georgia

Pat Robertson 51%

Al Gore 47%

Iowa

Al Gore 48%

Pat Robertson 47%

Kenrucky

Al Gore 49%

Pat Robertson 47%

New Hampshire 

Pat Robertson 49%

Al Gore 47%

Ohio

Al Gore 49%

Pat Robertson 46%

Texas

Pat Robertson 50%

Al Gore 46%

Utah

Pat Robertson 68%

Al Gore 29%

Vermont

Al Gore 49%

Pat Robertson 47%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×