270soft Forum
vcczar

2020 Playthrough

I actually am optimistic about this election; the only reason I dislike Harris so much is that the only reason she is popular is that she takes vocal positions on highly debated issues, and it seems every issue that I am most right on she takes the opposite stance. She also has a huge problem with compromise.

2 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

I actually am optimistic about this election; the only reason I dislike Harris so much is that the only reason she is popular is that she takes vocal positions on highly debated issues, and it seems every issue that I am most right on she takes the opposite stance. She also has a huge problem with compromise.

Kind of the same thing, but on the opposite side of the current zeitgeist political spectrum, as Ted Cruz. Do you dislike him? The man who shut down the government to prove a point and as part of a political publicity stunt, essentially (an act he suffered no meaningful sacrifice or loss in his own personal life for - only poor people, the severely handicapped, veterans, and wage-paid federal government employees suffered harshly during the short period, so he can't even take the moral high ground of self-sacrifice or martyrdom for his beliefs).

46 minutes ago, Patine said:

Kind of the same thing, but on the opposite side of the current zeitgeist political spectrum, as Ted Cruz. Do you dislike him? The man who shut down the government to prove a point and as part of a political publicity stunt, essentially (an act he suffered no meaningful sacrifice or loss in his own personal life for - only poor people, the severely handicapped, veterans, and wage-paid federal government employees suffered harshly during the short period, so he can't even take the moral high ground of self-sacrifice or martyrdom for his beliefs).

Ted Cruz is one of those people I don't really have strong beliefs on; his demeanor doesn't click with me well, and I don't really follow his beliefs.

End of March 2020

Democrats are still looking at a landslide victory, but Republicans have somewhat narrowed the gap, as Trump seems unlikely to be renominated. The week is surprisingly drama free. 

John Kasich wins Arizona! 

Jon Huntsman wins Utah!

Kamala Harris wins Alaska!

Martin Heinrich wins Arizona!

Mark Zuckerberg wins Washington! Wins Hawaii!

Andrew Cuomo wins Idaho!

Al Franken wins Utah!

Republican Frontrunner: Kasich 13%, followed by Huntsman 11%, Martinez 10%. Cotton barely leads Kasich in delegates. 

Democratic Frontrunner: Harris 6%, followed by Cuomo, Biden, and Brown, all with 6%. Biden leads in delegates. 

Beginning of April 2020

Heading into April, Ben Sasse is the only candidate to drop out of the race. 

Some great news happens for Pres. Trump as a treaty is signed, ending the Trade War. 

Jon Huntsman wins North Dakota! 

In a surprise move, Democratic frontrunner Kamala Harris drops out of the race! While she was leading in the polls, she was behind Joe Biden in delegates. Meanwhile, Julian Castro drops out and endorses Joe Biden. Steve Bullock also drops out. Gavin Newsom drops out to endorse fellow Californian Tom Steyer. Seth Moulton also drops out and endorses Steyer. Mark Zuckerberg drops out. 

Republican Frontrunner: Kasich 13%, followed by Huntsman 12%. Cotton leads in delegates. 

Democratic Fontrunner: Biden 7%, followed by Cuomo 7% and Brown 6%. Biden leads in delegates. 

Next Week of April 2020

Democrats increase their lead in General Election polls, making it look once again as if it will be an LBJ-style landslide victory. Republicans were under fire for trying to block Trump's nomination of a Supreme Court justice, since all suggested nominees were not conservative enough for Republicans. However, as this is drawing fire from voters, several moderate Republicans announce that they will support Trump's nominee with the majority of the Democrats. Meanwhile Sen. Heinrich proposes to Trump that he renominate Merrick Garland, but Trump ignores the suggestion, and Garland says he would decline the appointment. 

John Kasich wins Wisconsin!

Martin O'Malley wins Wisconsin!

Hillary Clinton wins Wyoming!

After the Wisconsin primary, Lindsey Graham, Rand Paul, Susan Collins drop out of the race. Jon Huntsman, in a surprise move, also drops out of the race, despite a strong showing. 

Cruz and Rubio draw in the Republican debate. 

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 16%, followed by Trump 9% and Martinez 9%. Cotton leads in delegates over Kasich by 2. 

Democratic Frontrunner: Joe Biden 7%, followed by Brown, Cuomo, and Steyer, all with 6%. Biden leads in delegates. 

Another week of April 2020

While both conventions could still be deadlocked, it seems more likely than not that a Biden vs. Kasich matchup will occur in the General Election. 

Meanwhile, Mike Pence, and Jeff Flake drop out of the race. 

Warren wins the Democratic debate, while Steyer has a debate meltdown. 

In a surprise move, Trump, who had threatened to nominate a Democrat or a moderate swing judge, nominates Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court! However, Cruz declines saying, "I will never play a part in that man's legacy." However, Ted Cruz in the same speech, announces he is dropping out of the presidential race. Susana Martinez also drops out. 

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 17%, followed by Trump 11%, Cotton 7%, Rubio 7%, Murkowski 3%, and the rest undecided. 

Democratic Frontrunner: Joe Biden 6%, followed by Brown, Cuomo, Steyer, also with 6%. Many with less than 5%

Final Week of April 2020

John Kasich wins New York! Donald Trump lost by only 2% in a defeat that likely knocked him out of chance for renomination. 

Andrew Cuomo wins New York!

Following these primaries, Pres. Trump nominates his sister, a Federal Judge, to the Supreme Court, amid cries of nepotism. Trump had considered several Democrats, and then offered the job to Ted Cruz, who declined. The selection splits the GOP, as Cruz and Paul move to block the appointment, while Huntsman and Graham support it. Trump claims that Cruz is blocking the appointment only because he regrets not accepting the job the previous week. 

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 18%, followed by Donald Trump 12%. Kasich leads in delegates. 

Democratic Frontrunner: Joe Biden 6%, followed by Sherrod Brown, Andrew Cuomo, and Tom Steyer, all with 6%. Biden leads in delegates. 

Beginning of May 2020

Landslide still looks likely for Democrats. Some good news for Trump, as Congress seems likely to allow Trump's sister's nomination to the Supreme Court. 

John Kasich wins Delaware! Wins Pennsylvania! Wins Rhode Island! Wins Maryland!

Donald Trump wins Connecticut! 

Andrew Cuomo wins Connecticut!

Joe Biden wins Delaware!

Martin O'Malley wins Maryland! Wins Rhode Island! 

Bernie Sanders wins Pennsylvania! 

Following the primaries, information comes out that Trump tried to bribe China to withhold information about their first failed meeting to end the trade deal until after Super Tuesday results came in. 

Tulsi Gabbard drops out of the race. Eric Garcetti drops out of the race. Kirsten Gillibrand drops out. 

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 18%, followed by Donald Trump 12%. Kasich leads in delegates. 

Democratic Frontrunner: Joe Biden 7%, followed by Sherrod Brown 7%. Biden leads in delegates. 

The next week of May 2020

Early in the month Hillary Clinton drops out of the race and endorses Joe Biden. Meanwhile, Chinagate heats up amid discussions of another impeachment attempt against Pres. Trump. 

John Kasich wins Indiana! Donald Trump came in a close second. 

Howard Schultz wins Guam! 

Pete Buttigieg wins Indiana! 

Following the primaries, it is learned that Kim Jong Un has been overthrown by the military. 

John Kasich and Marco Rubio draw in the Republican debate. 

Alan Grayson withdraws from the race. 

Republican Frontrunner; John Kasich 19%, followed by Donald Trump 11%, and Tom Cotton 9%. Kasich leads in delegates, but convention is likely to be deadlocked. 

Democratic Frontunner: Joe Biden 7%, folllowed by Sherrod Brown 7%, Andrew Cuomo 6%, Tom Steyer 6%. Joe Biden leads in delegates, but convention is likely to be deadlocked. 

Third Week May 2020

In a surprise move, the Koch brother endorse Sherrod Brown for president!

In the Democratic debate, Tom Steyer has a meltdown. Elizabeth Warren wins the debate. 

John Kasich wins Nebraska!

Tom Cotton wins West Virginia! 

Howard Schultz wins West Virginia!

Marco Rubio drops out. 

Republican frontrunner: Kasich 19%, followed by Trump 11% and Cotton 9%

Democratic frontrunner: Biden 7%, followed by Brown 7%, Cuomo 6%, and Steyer 6%. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Third Week May 2020

In a surprise move, the Koch brother endorse Sherrod Brown for president!

You must be referring to Bill and Fred, Jr., not even remotely possibly David and Charles...

11 hours ago, Patine said:

You must be referring to Bill and Fred, Jr., not even remotely possibly David and Charles...

As you know, one of the flaws in this game is that endorsers will make unrealistic endorsements occasionally since you can't prevent endorsements in the editor. I think @admin_270 should probably implement something that can prevent the Kochs from endorsing Sherrod Brown or Bernie Sanders. This was even without a player using CP to get the endorsement. I've had Ted Cruz endorse Bernie Sanders before. I'm assuming it would be relatively easy to program. Perhaps if a candidate or a party has blank or a zero in the endorsement points under that endorser, then there is no way that endorser endorses that candidate. For instance, if Koch's are 50 for Republicans and blank for Democrats, then Kochs will never endorse anyone other than Republicans. If you wanted Koch's to rarely endorse Trump, you could put him somewhere between 25 and 1, but if you don't want them to ever endorse Trump, you put a 0 (since you can't blank him, since he is a Republican). Something like this would allow for more realistic endorsers. On another note, I think something should be done to cap party support for some parties in some states. Not like this happened often, but a really good player could probably get Bernie Sanders to win Texas 70% to 30% against Ted Cruz in the 2016 election if they tried hard enough. I think the editor should at least allow the capping of state support, basically a ceiling of possible support. This would also prevent the random occurrence of states sometimes having unrealistic high support for the wrong party in a chaotic election--Alabama going Democrat by like 20%, Oregon going Republican by like 30%, etc. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does sometimes. 

I think a lot of that issue would be resolved by voting blocs without arbitrary blocks. It would feel far too limiting, and voting blocs handle it more dynamically.

Last Week of May 2020

Pope Francis announces that he's retiring as pope, prompting Trump to tweet that he had intimidated the pope into retiring, and that maybe he should be the next Pope. The tweet was posted, but then immediately deleted. 

Tom Cotton wins Oregon! 

Terry McAuliffe wins Virginia!

Martin O'Malley wins Kentucky!

Research comes out that school bullying has been up 800% since Trump took office. In political news, moderate Democrats join together to lambaste the DNC for veering so far left on the issues. With Trump likely to lose renomination, insurgent Republicans are angling themselves to take advantage of the Democratic inter-party fight in order to decrease the supposed likely landslide defeat in November. 

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 19%, followed by Trump 11% and Cotton 10%

Democratic Frontrunner: Sherrod Brown 7%, followed by Biden 7%, Cuomo 6%, Steyer 6%

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

As you know, one of the flaws in this game is that endorsers will make unrealistic endorsements occasionally since you can't prevent endorsements in the editor. I think @admin_270 should probably implement something that can prevent the Kochs from endorsing Sherrod Brown or Bernie Sanders. This was even without a player using CP to get the endorsement. I've had Ted Cruz endorse Bernie Sanders before. I'm assuming it would be relatively easy to program. Perhaps if a candidate or a party has blank or a zero in the endorsement points under that endorser, then there is no way that endorser endorses that candidate. For instance, if Koch's are 50 for Republicans and blank for Democrats, then Kochs will never endorse anyone other than Republicans. If you wanted Koch's to rarely endorse Trump, you could put him somewhere between 25 and 1, but if you don't want them to ever endorse Trump, you put a 0 (since you can't blank him, since he is a Republican). Something like this would allow for more realistic endorsers. On another note, I think something should be done to cap party support for some parties in some states. Not like this happened often, but a really good player could probably get Bernie Sanders to win Texas 70% to 30% against Ted Cruz in the 2016 election if they tried hard enough. I think the editor should at least allow the capping of state support, basically a ceiling of possible support. This would also prevent the random occurrence of states sometimes having unrealistic high support for the wrong party in a chaotic election--Alabama going Democrat by like 20%, Oregon going Republican by like 30%, etc. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does sometimes. 

That I'd be open to.

Early June 2020

At the beginning of the month Cory Book drops out and endorses Joe BIden.

Donald Trump wins Washington!

In other news, the Libertarian Convention opens, unanimously selecting Adam Kokesh, who is on pace to win 1% of the popular vote. Kokesh selects Fmr. Gov. Jesse Ventura as his VP. 

Howard Schultz wins Puerto Rico! 

Sherrod Brown wins the US Virgin Islands!

Lincoln Chafee drops out. Andrew Cuomo drops out. 

Donald Trump wins California! Wins New Mexico!

Al Franken wins California!

John Kasich wins Montana! Wins New Jersey! Wins South Dakota!

Joe BIden wins Montana! Wins North Dakota!

Howard Schultz wins New Jersey!

Martin Heinrich wins New Mexico!

Martin O'Malley wins South Dakota!

As we get to mid-June, a Democratic landslide seems insurmountable

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 21%, followed by Donald Trump 15%. Kasich leads in delegates, but convention will be contested. 

Democratic Frontrunner: Howard Schultz 8%, followed by Al Franken 8%, Joe Biden 7%. Biden leads in delegates, but convention will be contested. 

Tom Cotton drops out. Lisa Murkowski drops out. Tom Steyer drops out. Pete Buttigieg drops out. Amy Klobuchar drops out. 

Sherrod Brown drops despite leading in the polls. He had been down in delegates. 

You know, I'm very surprised your game can handle this without crashing. I've got a pretty hefty build but it still can't handle all candidates turned on for 2020 even in the current version for the public :P 

13 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

You know, I'm very surprised your game can handle this without crashing. I've got a pretty hefty build but it still can't handle all candidates turned on for 2020 even in the current version for the public :P 

Mine used to crash when the game was President Forever. It's been fine since then. I don't even have a fancy laptop. In fact, a lot of high graphic games don't really run on this computer very well. 

Last half of June 2020

As June 15th passes, news is received that Elizabeth Warren has dropped out of the race. 

Howard Schultz wins Washington DC!

Al Franken drops out. Bernie Sanders drops out. John Hickenlooper drops out.

The last couple of weeks were rather calm, with Trump silent on most matters, but Democrats continuing with infighting. 

Republican Frontrunner: John Kasich 21% with Trump 15%

Democratic Frontrunner: Howard Schultz 8% with Biden 7%, McAuliffe 6%, O'Malley 6%

July 2020 and Conventions

Martin Heinrich drops out. 

Bad news arrives with word of a Naval Treaty agreement between Russia and China. A bipartisan group of mostly Republicans push Trump to act on Russia and China's growing alliance. Meanwhile, a smaller bipartisan group blast any sabre-rattling on this issue. 

On July 4th, Trump ignores China and Russia in his address, but mentions that "If not for term limits" he would be president for life, despite being unlikely to win his own renomination. 

Two days after his July 4th speech, President Trump calls in several Senators to the White House to discuss Russia and China. Following the meeting Trump signs an order greatly increasing naval presence in the South China Sea. 

Mark Delany drops out. John Bel Edwards drops out. 

Pres. Trump sends Jon Huntsman back to China. 

Jill Stein is officially the Green Party nominee. Baraka is once again her VP choice. 

Huntsman leaves China, as US ships leave and trade with China resumes. 

REPUBLICAN CONVENTION

Round 1 - No one receives the required number of delegates for nomination. Kasich leads in delegates with 715, followed by Trump 398, and Cotton 351. 

Lisa Murkowski throws her delegates to Susan Collins. 

Round 2 - Kasich leads in delegates with 715, followed by Trump 398, and Cotton 351. 

Lindsey Graham throws his delegates to John Kasich

Round 3 - Kasich leads in delegates with 753, followed by Trump 398, and Cotton 351. 

Rand Paul throws his delegates to Ben Sasse 

Round 4 - Kasich leads in delegates with 753, followed by Trump 398, and Cotton 351.

Ted Cruz throws his delegates to Tom Cotton

Round 5 - Kasich leads in delegates with 753, with Cotton 409 and Trump 398

Jeff Flake throws his delegates to Ben Sasse

Round 6 - Kasich leads in delegates with 753, with Cotton 409 and Trump 398

Susana Martinez throws her delegates to Susan Collins. 

Round 7 - Kasich leads in delegates with 753, with Cotton 409 and Trump 398

Marco Rubio throws his delegates to Tom Cotton

Round 8 - Kasich leads in delegates with 753, with Cotton 539 and Trump 398

Jon Huntsman throws his delegates to John Kasich

Round 9 - Kasich leads in delegates with 897, with Cotton 539 and Trump 398

Mike Pence throws his delegates to Donald Trump

Round 10 - Kasich leads in delegates with 897, with Trump 573 and Cotton 539 

Ben Sasse throws his delegates to Donald Trump

Round 11 - Kasich leads in delegates with 897, with Trump 774, and Cotton 539

Susan Collins throws her delegates to John Kasich 

Round 12 - Kasich leads in delegates with 1159, with Trump 774, and Cotton 539

Tom Cotton decides the nomination when he throws his delegates to John Kasich

Round 13 - John Kasich secures victory over Pres. Donald Trump 1690 to 774

Republican Presidential Nominee John Kasich selected Sen. Richard Burr as his VP nominee. 

DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION

Round 1 - No one secures enough delegates. Biden leads with 764, with Schultz 469 and O'Malley 391

Hillary Clinton throws her delegates to Joe Biden

Round 2 - Biden leads with 782, with Schultz 469 and O'Malley 391

Lincoln Chafee throws his delegates to John Bel Edwards

Round 3 - Biden leads with 782, with Schultz 469 and O'Malley 391

Elizabeth Warren throws her delegates to Sherrod Brown

Round 4 - Biden leads with 782, with Schultz 469 and Brown 450

John Hickenlooper throws his delegates to John Bel Edwards

Round 5 - Biden leads with 782, with Schultz 469 and Brown 450

Tom Steyer throws his delegates to fellow CEO Howard Schultz

Round 6 - Biden leads with 782, with Schultz 553 and Brown 450

Pete Buttigieg throws his delegates to Joe Biden

Round 7 - Biden leads with 874, with Schultz 553 and Brown 450

Amy Klobuchar throws her delegates to Al Franken

Round 8 - Biden leads with 874, with Schultz 553 and Franken 471

Kamala Harris throws her delegates to Howard Schultz

Round 9 - Biden leads with 874, with Schultz 659 and Franken 471

Martin Heinrich throws his delegates to Terry McAuliffe 

Round 10 - Biden leads with 874, with Schultz 659 and Franken 471

Mark Zuckerberg throws his delegates to Howard Schultz

Round 11 - Biden leads with 874, with Schultz 842 and Franken 471

Seth Moulton throws his delegates to Sherrod Brown

Round 12 - Biden leads with 874, with Schultz 842 and Brown 651

Bernie Sanders throws his delegates to Sherrod Brown

Round 13 - Brown leads with 875, with Biden 874 and Schultz 842 

Gavin Newsom throws his delegates to Andrew Cuomo

Round 14 - Brown leads with 875, with Biden 874 and Schultz 842 

John Bel Edwards throws his delegates to Terry McAuliffe

Round 15 - Brown leads with 875, with Biden 874 and Schultz 842 

Martin O'Malley throws his delegates to Terry McAuliffe

Round 16 - McAuliffe leads with 1,067, with Brown 875 and Biden 874 

Al Franken throws his delegates to Sherrod Brown

Round 17 - Brown leads with 1,346, with McAuliffe 1,067 and Biden 874

Andrew Cuomo throws his delegates to Howard Schultz

Round 18 - Schultz leads with 1,478, with Brown 1,346 and McAuliffe 1,067

Joe Biden throws his delegates to Terry McAuliffe

Round 19 - McAuliffe leads with 1,941, with Schultz 1,478, and Brown 1,346

Sherrod Brown decides the nomination when he throws his delegates to Howard Schultz

Round 20 - CEO Howard Schultz defeats Fmr. Gov. Terry McAuliffe 2,824 to 1,941

Democratic presidential nominee Howard Schultz selects Sen. Cory Booker as his VP!

General Election 2020 up to the Day Before Election Day. 

Heading into the General Election, Schulz is looking at a landslide victory over Kasich. This isn't helped as lame duck Pres. Trump continually bashes fellow Republicans, including Kasich. 

VP nominee Richard Burr has been much more active than Kasich in campaigning, which might show that Kasich is resigned to defeat. 

In late August, Libertarians surpass 1% in the polls. 

Kasich and Burr waste time attacking 3rd parties, while Schultz focuses on TV interviews. Richard Burr continues to attack Schultz with mixed results. Booker, Dem VP nominee, has been mostly quiet. 

On August 30, Schultz is hit with a scandal, as his record as Starbuck CEO does not match his recent rhetoric. Kasich exploits the scandals. Yet, the polls don't seem to be changing. 

Meanwhile, Pres. Trump vows to force China and Russia out of their trade deal by the time he ends his term. 

In September, an anonymous leak ties VP nominee Cory Booker to the NJ mafia, which Booker denies. Despite this, Kasich shows only a slight uptick in the polls. 

John Kasich begins campaigning in states with few electoral votes for some reason, attacking Schultz

Bernie Sanders finally endorses Howard Schultz in mid-September. 

Kasich attacks Trump, distancing himself from Trump Republicans, "I am not a continuation of Trump. I've made that clear from the beginning."

Sen. Murkowski bucks her own party to endorse Howard Schultz. 

Republican VP nominee wastes time attacking 3rd parties. 

As October rolls in, Schultz still appears to be on his way to a landslide victory. 

JOHN KASICH WINS THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE! 

Kasich sees an increase in funding. 

JOHN KASICH WINS THE SECOND PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE!

Despite two debate victories and increased fundraising, Kasich drops slightly in the polls. 

Kasich and Schultz both have "Big Mo'" simultaneously! 

Washington Times endorses Kasich

Washington Post endorses Schultz

New York Times endorses Schultz

The Economist endorses Kasich

Kasich sees slight improvement in the polls

JOHN KASICH WINS THE THIRD PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE! (VP Debates never occur)

John Kasich is hit with a major scandal in the last week. 

Pre-Election Day Projection
Schultz/Booker 56% PV 458 EV

Kasich/Burr 38% PV 80 EV

Will the polls be as inaccurate as the were in 2016 or worse?