Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Presidentinsertname

senator mitt Romney?

Recommended Posts

That probably means that Jon Huntsman won't run. I know Huntsman was tabbed as Ambassador to Russia, but he still hasn't accepted it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please... NO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Please... NO

My main problem with this is that he isn't a full-time Utah resident. I feel like he's just going there because the opening is there. I think Huntsman is a much more preferable Senator anyway. Romney had his time, and he lacks authenticity. He's sort of like a Republican version of Hillary Clinton.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vcczar said:

My main problem with this is that he isn't a full-time Utah resident. I feel like he's just going there because the opening is there. I think Huntsman is a much more preferable Senator anyway. Romney had his time, and he lacks authenticity. He's sort of like a Republican version of Hillary Clinton.  

Some of my thoughts as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, vcczar said:

That probably means that Jon Huntsman won't run. I know Huntsman was tabbed as Ambassador to Russia, but he still hasn't accepted it. 

Here's an interesting question: would you- in theory- accept the position? Ambassador to a nation that's tied to a current investigation and also is hostile to our Western Allies; and the president has a net disapproval rating. Even if the investigation doesn't lead to an impeachment, you'll still have the stench of being "tied to Russia". 

 

Also, I thought Romney was a full time resident of Massachusetts still. 

 

Edit: I think McMullen is eying Hatch's seat as well. So it'll be a crowded field if mitt runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Here's an interesting question: would you- in theory- accept the position? Ambassador to a nation that's tied to a current investigation and also is hostile to our Western Allies; and the president has a net disapproval rating. Even if the investigation doesn't lead to an impeachment, you'll still have the stench of being "tied to Russia". 

 

Also, I thought Romney was a full time resident of Massachusetts still. 

 

Edit: I think McMullen is eying Hatch's seat as well. So it'll be a crowded field if mitt runs.

I would only accepts an Amb. of Russia position to figure out what was really going on. I would expose a president, Republican, Democrat, or Independent, if it turns out the Russians helped any party win the election. I think Huntsman would probably turn Trump in, and honestly, I think it could help him in 2020 if he wanted to run, so long as he didn't participate in any Trump cover up, if there is anything to cover up. He speaks fluent Mandarin and might soon know Russian. He would be a solid candidate. 

Romney has residences in like 4 states

Yeah McMullin might run, but I doubt he gets anywhere if Romney or Huntsman runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Also, I thought Romney was a full time resident of Massachusetts still. 

Of course his principal residence is Massachusetts. But then again, Dick Cheney's principal residence has always been Texas, but that's not what was registered with the electoral authorities in 2000 and 2004.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Of course his principal residence is Massachusetts. But then again, Dick Cheney's principal residence has always been Texas, but that's not what was registered with the electoral authorities in 2000 and 2004.

No it's not. He sold his home in Massachusetts a few years ago. I believe he has a home in New Hampshire, but I'm pretty sure Utah is actually his "principal" residence now, though I'm sure he splits his time in multiple homes in multiple states. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, vcczar said:

My main problem with this is that he isn't a full-time Utah resident. I feel like he's just going there because the opening is there. I think Huntsman is a much more preferable Senator anyway. Romney had his time, and he lacks authenticity. He's sort of like a Republican version of Hillary Clinton.  

Same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Same.

Romney and Hillary Clinton both also had in common going into a Presidential GE that was predicted by a majority of pollsters and pundits as a cakewalk, a certain victory, a coronation parade, and losing in a surprising and, somewhat, embarrassing (by their perspectives and those of their supporters) defeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2017 at 3:58 AM, Patine said:

Romney and Hillary Clinton both also had in common going into a Presidential GE that was predicted by a majority of pollsters and pundits as a cakewalk, a certain victory, a coronation parade, and losing in a surprising and, somewhat, embarrassing (by their perspectives and those of their supporters) defeat.

I always saw a romney victory as being close rather then a cake walk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romney was never a clear favorite once the campaign really got under way. Aside from the hiccup after the first debate, I was mostly confident that Obama would win throughout the last 4-5 months of that election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2017 at 10:37 AM, RI Democrat said:

Romney was never a clear favorite once the campaign really got under way. Aside from the hiccup after the first debate, I was mostly confident that Obama would win throughout the last 4-5 months of that election.

2012 was winnable for romney uptill the debates and then 47% comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

2012 was winnable for romney uptill the debates and then 47% comment.

And the 'folders of women' comment. Don't forget that one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Patine said:

And the 'folders of women' comment. Don't forget that one too.

I'm not sure that was too big a deal outside of a brief flurry of internet memes.

Of course, for me the highlight of that campaign was Biden exclaiming in response to Paul Ryan's BS, "This is a bunch of stuff!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

I'm not sure that was too big a deal outside of a brief flurry of internet memes.

Of course, for me the highlight of that campaign was Biden exclaiming in response to Paul Ryan's BS, "This is a bunch of stuff!" 

The comment I mentioned about Romney, along with a few others, showed how detached and removed he was from the way most Americans lived and worked and even thought in his aristocratic ivory tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

The comment I mentioned about Romney, along with a few others, showed how detached and removed he was from the way most Americans lived and worked and even thought in his aristocratic ivory tower.

Maybe, though I think the reaction was partly to his awkward phrasing - "binders full of women" as if the women were literally inside binders. I remember one of the popular memes was of Patrick Swazye from Dirty Dancing, with the caption, "Nobody puts Baby in a binder."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

I'm not sure that was too big a deal outside of a brief flurry of internet memes.

Of course, for me the highlight of that campaign was Biden exclaiming in response to Paul Ryan's BS, "This is a bunch of stuff!" 

agree the only people who got offend by that shit were the feminist and they werent going to vote for him before anyway. to be fair I hated that election after ron paul was gone by both ads that play to me it look as if both candidates should be in jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

agree the only people who got offend by that shit were the feminist and they werent going to vote for him before anyway. to be fair I hated that election after ron paul was gone by both ads that play to me it look as if both candidates should be in jail.

Do you have any hard voter data that only feminists who might have been GOP-leaning changed their vote after that comment, and absolutely no one else was even moved by it, or is this just a pronouncement based on stereotype with no actual evidence behind it. Also, I've noticed a lot of malignment by Republican (and similar ideologues in other countries' parties with similar ideas) that attack feminism, racial-civil rights groups, and LGBT-rights groups as being evil, destructive, violent, anarchistic, universally pro-Communist, and traitors to the nation, by nature of the movement itself, pointing to a few isolated extreme groups and incidents (representing a minority within these groups) as they're complete evidence of these groups in their entirety. That tactic is nothing more than changing the message to continue support of (or move tthings back to) an untennable, aristocratic, unrepresentive, oppressive, intolerable, and yes, by nature, unconstitutional system of TYRANNY OF THE MINORITY (since the term "tyranny of the majority" has been bandied about a few times lately), and, a social system that obviously didn't work the first time, so, like the AA definition of insanity, the social conservatives are "trying the same thing (in the end goal) that didn't work the first time expecting (or hoping) it'll work this time."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×