Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vcczar

Donald Trump Forum Approval Poll (September)

Donald Trump Forum Approval Poll (September)   24 members have voted

1. 1. Select that parts of Trump's president that you mostly approve of...

• Appointment of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court (following the Merrick Garland nomination episode)
    • Persistent efforts to remove Obama's legacy, even outside of Obamacare.
    • Firing Michael Flynn
    • Firing James Comey
    • Removing Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff, and replacing him with General Kelly
    • Removing Stave Bannon
    • Handling of the media
    • Use of Twitter
    • Handling of immigration
    • Military action in Syria
    • Handling of North Korea
    • Handling of Russia (including revealing classified information with Russia)
    • Handling of the Russia probe/Mueller's probe
    • Handling of the Drug War
    • Handling of the Economy
    • Withdrawing from the Paris Agreement
    • Withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)
    • Handling of Mexico
    • None of these
  2. 2. Part 2 of the above

• Handling of recovery of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma
    • Handling of repeal efforts for Obamacare
    • Handling of Congress, both GOP or Democrat
    • Handling of the LGBT community
    • Handling of racial division (Charlottesville, etc.)
    • Handling of China
    • Handling of potential conflicts of interests
    • Siding with Democrats on the debt ceiling
    • Reviving the Keystone XL and Dakota Pipelines
    • Handling of NAFTA
    • Handling of our European allies
    • Appointment of Rex Tillerson as Sec of State
    • Appointment of Mnuchin for Treasury
    • Appointment of Sessions as Att Gen
    • Appointment of Mattis for Defense
    • Appointment of DeVos for Education
    • Appointment of Perry for Energy
    • Appointment of Carson for HUD
    • None of the above
  3. 3. If Donald Trump's presidency ended today, he would be viewed by most Americans in 50 years as having been a BETTER president than....

• Barack Obama
    • GHW Bush
    • Ronald Reagan
    • Jimmy Carter
    • Richard Nixon
    • LBJ
    • JFK
    • FDR
    • Harding
    • Th Roosevelt
    • Andrew Johnson
    • Lincoln
    • Buchanan
    • Pierce
    • Washington
    • He will be viewed as the worst president in US history in 50 years, even if his presidency ended today.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

65 posts in this topic

Feel free to elaborate on your decision int he comment.

Error in my voting - I misread question 3's responses, and checked off HW Bush (thought it was Bush 43 while skimming). I am no fan of his but I do think that he has a generally positive reputation.

16 minutes ago, thr33 said:

Error in my voting - I misread question 3's responses, and checked off HW Bush (thought it was Bush 43 while skimming). I am no fan of his but I do think that he has a generally positive reputation.

I actually had George W. Bush up there, but I must have accidentally deleted him somehow. 

I think Trump has managed expectations (for him anyway) on the hurricane recovery, and I think his siding with Democrats on the Debt Ceiling shows some ability at crisis management, and potential bipartisanship. Obviously this isn't enough to erase the litany of negative/bad decisions he's made and things he's said, but it allows some hope that these 4 years won't be a total nightmare or a total disaster for America. 

At this rate, he will still be considered a poor and weak president, but maybe he will improve. 

At this point, I can find little argument to say that he's worse than the following presidents:

Tyler, Pierce, Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Harding, GW Bush. Thus, he can already most likely claim to be, at worst, the 7th worst president. Arguments can be made that he's outperformed other weak (i.e. inability to get things done through Congress) presidents, highly corrupt, or one-term presidents, such as JQ Adams, Martin Van Buren, WH Harrison, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, US Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James Garfield, CA Arthur, Herbert Hoover, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter. Which means, at best, he could be the 20th worst, or the back end of mediocre. However, I think placing all these presidents as worse than Trump would be difficult to argue. Personally, I have him at 8th worst, adding Taylor to that first group of presidents, and I could potentially put him above Fillmore. 

Certainly, there is enough time for him to drop or rise. 

Well... I approve of his support for NASA... but that's about it for me. Frankly at this point I think Donald Duck would've been better.

2 hours ago, Wiw said:

Well... I approve of his support for NASA... but that's about it for me. Frankly at this point I think Donald Duck would've been better.

His statement of "support" for NASA sounded like he had been smoking something very strong right before the press release. Did you see the utterly confused look on Aldrich's face as Trump rabbited and meandered on with that nonsensical, incoherent, and rambling speech. In other words, like many things he claims to speak on with authority, he had no idea what the Hell he was even talking and sounded llke an idiot. Kind of like Kim Jong-un's "field guidance" sessions (except horrible executions await saying ANYTHING saying negative about those - if you're in North Korea, at least).

43 minutes ago, Patine said:

His statement of "support" for NASA sounded like he had been smoking something very strong right before the press release. Did you see the utterly confused look on Aldrich's face as Trump rabbited and meandered on with that nonsensical, incoherent, and rambling speech. In other words, like many things he claims to speak on with authority, he had no idea what the Hell he was even talking and sounded llke an idiot. Kind of like Kim Jong-un's "field guidance" sessions (except horrible executions await saying ANYTHING saying negative about those - if you're in North Korea, at least).

Also @Wiw

He also put an anti-Science Oklahoma politician in charge of NASA, the first non-scientist to lead it. 

Oh, well never mind then. Honestly, by the presence of a racist uprising and that malignant cabinet of his, I'm tempted to conclude that he is every bit as a power-hungry, neo-Nazi fascist as people have made him out to be. I beg of you, tell me I'm wrong!

Just now, Wiw said:

Oh, well never mind then. Honestly, by the presence of a racist uprising and that malignant cabinet of his, I'm tempted to conclude that he is every bit as power-hungry, neo-Nazi and a fascist as people have made him out to be. I beg of you, tell me I'm wrong!

I'll at least tell you, I don't think he's as competent politically, or has as much true conviction, drive, or vision (however malign) of the Fascist leaders who came to power in the 1920's to 1940's, if it brings you any comfort. :P

Honestly surprised with how few people call him the worst of the worst Presidents.

4 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Honestly surprised with how few people call him the worst of the worst Presidents.

I find it amazing how many today give that label to George W. Bush, Barack Obama, or Donald Trump, depending, simply on the merit that they were personally alive during their Presidency, and thus completely dsicounting horribly worse Presidents of long ago...

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Also @Wiw

He also put an anti-Science Oklahoma politician in charge of NASA, the first non-scientist to lead it. 

I'd hardly call a 52% or so concensus an objective fact

https://realclimatescience.com/the-52-consensus/

Let me clarify, in regards to racial division his message didn't come out as he wanted to. I am judging from the message I believe he meant.

At times I was toying with the idea that Charlottesville and related violence was abetted by the Beurgeoisie

1 minute ago, EndOfCapitalism said:

At times I was toying with the idea that Charlottesville and related violence was abetted by the Beurgeoisie

Um,OK?

17 minutes ago, EndOfCapitalism said:

All conspiracy theories nowadays, regardless of which ideological branch is milling them out, are so bland, tiresome, predictable, regurgitated, recited, and uninspired, completely unlike the ones I grew up with. Time to step up your game...

1 hour ago, Patine said:

All conspiracy theories nowadays, regardless of which ideological branch is milling them out, are so bland, tiresome, predictable, regurgitated, recited, and uninspired, completely unlike the ones I grew up with. Time to step up your game...

I agree

7 hours ago, Patine said:

bland, tiresome, predictable, regurgitated, recited, and uninspired, 

Like the internet for many years now. (Yeah I use it a lot though; you don't throw out the dirty water if there isn't any clean water.)

I suppose saying we were safer during the Cold War than we are right now under Trump would qualify as a conspiracy theory too?

2 minutes ago, Wiw said:

I suppose saying we were safer during the Cold War than we are right now under Trump would qualify as a conspiracy theory too?

As I said recently on these forums, we currently live in one of the most peaceful periods in recorded world history, relatively speaking. However, the constant, graphic, and sensationalist media coverage, Internet chatter, and politicians' doomsaying and harping would never, remotely, even close, to let you know or realize that...

Just now, Patine said:

As I said recently on these forums, we currently live in one of the most peaceful periods in recorded world history, relatively speaking. However, the constant, graphic, and sensationalist media coverage, Internet chatter, and politicians' doomsaying and harping would never, remotely, even close, to let you know or realize that...

Bring back the Fairness Doctrine!

1 minute ago, Wiw said:

Bring back the Fairness Doctrine!

It would take more than that at this point. A single law, only enforceable in one country (a country where it can theoretically be challenged as "unconstitutional" in it's own courts), in an era where many of the aforementioned politicians, Internet sources chattering, and even international media outlets freely accessible online, are not in the U.S. or subject AT ALL, in any way, to such U.S. laws. The idea many Americans have held dear that just passing laws in Congress only legally binding or valid in American sovereign territory are somehow the answer to international problems, even as they strictly affect Americans, is becoming an outmoded way of thinking. However, since so many American "parrochialists," as well as rising tides of European far-right-wing nationalists, and other "us uber al" groups like hard Israeli Revisionist Zionists, the BJP in India, the Parties of Power in many former Soviet republics, hard Islamist groups, Pan-African groups, and certainly the KWP, believe unilateral answers by a given nation are the only valid answers to all problems, and international cooperation on global problems are anathema because they jump immediately to Orwellian international tyranny blocs overnight, somehow, I fear these, problems will NEVER be resolved and will only become and grow and exacerbated, festering like a cancer, as long as such short-lived, petty-visioned, parochial, nationalist political groups remain powerful and popular.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:50 PM, Patine said:

I find it amazing how many today give that label to George W. Bush, Barack Obama, or Donald Trump, depending, simply on the merit that they were personally alive during their Presidency, and thus completely dsicounting horribly worse Presidents of long ago...

And yet you take issue with me when I say a president's legacy can't be fairly judged until long after their term in office...

13 minutes ago, pilight said:

And yet you take issue with me when I say a president's legacy can't be fairly judged until long after their term in office...

There's a difference. I'm not saying George W. Bush, Barack Obama, or Donald Trump are disqualified from consideration or judgement ENTIRELY, I just think it's wrong-headed to declare one of them the absolute worst in U.S. Presidential history based solely on having lived during their tenure, and dismissing those not in your living memory completely largely for that reason, whether you openly state that as a reason or not - the extraodinarily and suspiciously large number of people declaring one of those three outright worst speaks for itself in that regard.