270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

What would everyone rather see?

3 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

the fact that this is from the city that 9/11 happen in scares me.

It died in the Council.

9 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

It died in the Council.

I still have no trust for paranoid laws depriving or compromisung citizens' freedoms or rights or allowing governments to overstep their bounds, especially in ways not clearly limited or accountable, and more power to freely keep secrets, because of a zeitgeist of fear or threat. A line from a popular movie, despite being fiction, is a good indicator of my feelings, especially the context around the quote and how the storyline in those therefrom.

"I love the Republic. I love democracy. And I will gladly set aside these emergenncy powers when this crisis has been resolved."

-Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, aka Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, Star War, Episiode II, Attack of the Clone

We all know how THAT story went. I don't forsee a happier ending if the U.S. and other Western governments continue to be given such sinister, unaccountable, carte blanche, and ill-defined "emergency powers" by frightened and paranoid voters.

@Patine We don't need any more Crown Heights riots in this city.

You also have the quote slightly wrong, I looked it up and it is "It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy... I love the Republic. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated. And as my first act with this new authority, I will create a Grand Army of the Republic to counter the increasing threats of the Separatists."

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

You also have the quote slightly wrong, I looked it up and it is "It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy... I love the Republic. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated. And as my first act with this new authority, I will create a Grand Army of the Republic to counter the increasing threats of the Separatists."

I pointed that out because they'll be some die-hard star wars fan who will correct you eventually.

@Patine We don't need any more Crown Heights riots in this city.

Pedantic quibbling of specific quote wording that in no way, shape, or form changes the meaning or impression of the quote insofar as I was using it and saying a riot caused moreso by a reaction to living and social in parts of the city rather than a lack of an unnescarily harsh and over-authoraritarian scheme in the first place is your response?

Just now, Patine said:

Pedantic quibbling of specific quote wording that in no way, shape, or form changes the meaning or impression of the quote insofar as I was using it and saying a riot caused moreso by a reaction to living and social in parts of the city rather than a lack of an unnescarily harsh and over-authoraritarian scheme in the first place is your response?

Do you even know what caused the Crown Heights riots? It was all over a traffic accident.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Do you even know what caused the Crown Heights riots? It was all over a traffic accident.

I'm pretty sure there must have been deeper, "powder-keg" factors waiting to be lit. There almost always are with big riots.

Just now, Patine said:

I'm pretty sure there must have been deeper, "powder-keg" factors waiting to be lit. There almost always are with big riots.

Black (or if you prefer,African-American) - Jewish relations were generally bad at that time but you didn't have that kind of thing and that tension was there beginning in the '60's.

Black (or if you prefer,African-American) - Jewish relations were generally bad at that time but you didn't have that kind of thing and that tension was there beginning in the '60's.

But I still don't feel the right solution is police state tactics with no publically available limits, accountability, or probably even recourse for certain types of misconduct or even being targetted unjustly or inappropriately.

Just now, Patine said:

But I still don't feel the right solution is police state tactics with no publically available limits, accountability, or probably even recourse for certain types of misconduct or even being targetted unjustly or inappropriately.

I assume you're referring to "police bias", I'm sorry to inform people who think the police is full of white supremacists but the NYPD is Minority-majority (Since Oct.28,2010)

Just now, NYrepublican said:

I assume you're referring to "police bias", I'm sorry to inform people who think the police is full of white supremacists but the NYPD is Minority-majority (Since Oct.28,2010)

That's not the whole of what I'm talking about, no. But it seems typical of many (NOT ALL) younger people, and some not-so-young people, I myself have spoken to on the Internet and in RL and listened to speak nowadays, to zero in immediately on cliches and stereotypes alone, and not even suspect or acknowedge a broader picture or idea may be being presented, for some reason.