vcczar

Best Recent Losing Nominee Poll

Who was the best recent losing nominee for president? [Major parties only]   24 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best recent losing nominee?

• H Clinton, 2016
    • Romney, 2012
    • McCain, 2008
    • Kerry, 2004
    • Gore, 2000
    • Dole, 1996
    • GHW Bush, 1992
    • Dukakis, 1988
    • Mondale, 1984
    • Carter, 1980

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 posts in this topic

Feel free to comment on who you thought the worst of these was

I think John Kerry, like many of these people on the list, was a terrible candidate, but would have made a good president. I was so disappointed when was the nominee, because he had the charisma of a tombstone maker. I have a more favorable opinion of him now. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think John Kerry, like many of these people on the list, was a terrible candidate, but would have made a good president. I was so disappointed when was the nominee, because he had the charisma of a tombstone maker. I have a more favorable opinion of him now. 

How many tombstone makers do you personally know to judge the charisma of a whole profession? :P

29 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Feel free to comment on who you thought the worst of these was

I chose Dukakis because, on top of thinking he has the best name of all major General Election candidates, winners or losers, from 1980 on (in my opinion), I liked his honesty and modesty (relative to the other major General Election candidates, winners and losers, since 1980, mind, not as an absolute, paramount virtue). It would have probably, sadly and, somewhat cynically, made him a poor President, but it was refreshing.

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

How many tombstone makers do you personally know to judge the charisma of a whole profession? :P

I judging this based off theater and film

In regards to Dukakis, he was very honorable. 

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I chose Dukakis because, on top of thinking he has the best name of all major General Election candidates, winners or losers, from 1980 on (in my opinion), I liked his honesty and modesty (relative to the other major General Election candidates, winners and losers, since 1980, mind, not as an absolute, paramount virtue). It would have probably, sadly and, somewhat cynically, made him a poor President, but it was refreshing.

You reminded of this line

Bernard Shaw:"If Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered would you favor an irrevocable death penalty for the killer?"

Michael Dukakis:"No I don't Bernard,I think you know that I've opposed the death penalty all of my life.I don't see any evidence that it's a deterrent.I think there are better and more effective ways to deal with violent crime,We've done so in my own state and it's one of the reasons we have the biggest drop in crime of any industrial state in America and why we have the lowest murder rate of any industrial state in America." (While not showing any emotion)

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

You reminded of this line

Bernard Shaw:"If Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered would you favor an irrevocable death penalty for the killer?"

Michael Dukakis:"No I don't Bernard,I think you know that I've opposed the death penalty all of my life.I don't see any evidence that it's a deterrent.I think there are better and more effective ways to deal with violent crime,We've done so in my own state and it's one of the reasons we have the biggest drop in crime of any industrial state in America and why we have the lowest murder rate of any industrial state in America." (While not showing any emotion)

That's one of the big quotes I was thinking of. And I agree with Dukakis. Case and point, Mexico and Colombia both still have the death penalty, AND both have the highest murder rates (outside civil war or defending against external invasions) of any sovereign nation in the world today.

@Patine He also has one of the best photos in political history

Image result for michael dukakis tank

Here's a related question. When's the last time a less charismatic candidate in President Infinity terms beat a more charismatic one?

2016 Trump > H. Clinton

2012 Obama > Romney

2008 Obama > McCain

2004 W. Bush > Kerry

2000 W. Bush > Gore

1996 W. Clinton > Dole

1992 W. Clinton > H.W. Bush

1988 H.W. Bush = Dukakis (?)

1984 Reagan > Mondale

1980 Reagan > Carter

1976 Carter = Ford (?)

1972 Nixon < McGovern

!

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Here's a related question. When's the last time a less charismatic candidate in President Infinity terms beat a more charismatic one?

2016 Trump > H. Clinton

2012 Obama > Romney

2008 Obama > McCain

2004 W. Bush > Kerry

2000 W. Bush > Gore

1996 W. Clinton > Dole

1984 Reagan > Mondale

1980 Reagan > Carter

1976 Carter = Ford (?)

1972 Nixon < McGovern

!

1972 apparently, also I love the exclamation mark lol.

7 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

2016 Trump > H. Clinton

2012 Obama > Romney

2008 Obama > McCain

2004 W. Bush > Kerry

2000 W. Bush > Gore

1996 W. Clinton > Dole

1984 Reagan > Mondale

1980 Reagan > Carter

1976 Carter = Ford (?)

1972 Nixon < McGovern

!

I hate to be that guy, but Gore and Hill won the popular vote. Agree on the other ones

My opinions:

Carter 1980: I adore him but he was not well suited to the job.

Mondale 1984: would have been a good President but was also a sacrificial lamb

Dukakis 1988: extremely honorable man who would have been a good President, and probably would have won if not for Atwater

Bush 1992: Good person, but not well suited to campaigning. Bland and boring.

Dole 1996: LOL nominating a 73 year old man who looks like he's already dead to go against a young charismatic incumbent President was not the brightest idea. Would have been a good 1980 nominee.

Gore 2000: I probably love Al more than Tipper does. Would've been a good president

Kerry 2004: Bland man who would have been an OK President; probably would have lost in 2008 had he won Ohio in 2004.

McCain 2008: I respect McCain immensely. I wish he were the 2000 nominee. I prefer Obama though.

Romney 2012: Boring, out of touch rich guy.

Clinton 2016: Would have been a decent President, but made some mistakes that got major press attention (some was deserved, some was not). Almost no charisma, plus Republicans have been dragging her through the mud since 1992. Again, some of the bad things she did really were terrible! But emails were blown out of proportion, deserved maybe a week of attention, not 18 months. Sandernistas didn't help anything either.

Pence 2020: Not my favorite President, though he might have proven himself if given more than 2 years to be President.

3 minutes ago, President Garrett Walker said:

Pence 2020: Not my favorite President, though he might have proven himself if given more than 2 years to be President.

Lol wat

28 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

2016 Trump > H. Clinton

2012 Obama > Romney

2008 Obama > McCain

2004 W. Bush > Kerry

2000 W. Bush > Gore

1996 W. Clinton > Dole

1984 Reagan > Mondale

1980 Reagan > Carter

1976 Carter = Ford (?)

1972 Nixon < McGovern

!

I posted something along these lines a long time ago. Glad you brought it back. Carter was more charismatic than Ford in 1976. In regards to Bush and Dukakis, neither had charisma, but Dukakis was dorky, which put him at a disadvantage to Bush. 

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Lol wat

August 21, 2017:

trump-eclipse.jpg

Trump looks at eclipse without glasses

August 22, 2017:

Trump tweet: "my vision is tremendous, believe me, I'm definitely not blind #fakenews #failingnyt"

November 7, 2017:

Trump trips over covfefe table due to blindness, is hospitalized

May 28, 2018:

Trump resigns. "Dems think I resigned due to 'blindness,' #FAKENEWS #SAD!"

@Reagan04, Bob Dole, REALLY?

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

@Reagan04, Bob Dole, REALLY?

AL GORE, REALLY?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

AL GORE, REALLY?

lol;

I don't agree with his policies, but I saw this as who was the strongest loser.

If it was based on policies, I would probably go with Romney.

lol;

I don't agree with his policies, but I saw this as who was the strongest loser.

If it was based on policies, I would probably go with Romney.

Ah yeah no, this is best losing nominee, So who would I want to have won the most.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Ah yeah no, this is best losing nominee, So who would I want to have won the most.

Best in the sense could go either way: 1. who did the best or 2. who would you have liked to win

But, why would you want Dole?

For me Gore, Dukakis second

But Romney would have been a good Republican President to lead the party toward modernity.

Best in the sense could go either way: 1. who did the best or 2. who would you have liked to win

But, why would you want Dole?

I think he would have been the best for keeping the conservative movement relevant.

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I think he would have been the best for keeping the conservative movement relevant.

In '80, he tried to organize a Stop Reagan campaign

Just now, jvikings1 said:

In '80, he tried to organize a Stop Reagan campaign

Didnt say he was great, just the best on that list, Romney and McCain would have been worse.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Didnt say he was great, just the best on that list, Romney and McCain would have been worse.

McCain would have been worse for sure.  But, Romney's experience in fixing financial disasters would have been useful for economic purposes.

I'd say probably Nixon. I'm not super-familiar with McGovern's speaking style but Nixon seems kind of dry and distant in the clips I've seen and I'm guessing that McGovern was better. 

Though I also don't consider Trump particularly "charismatic." He's more entertaining than Hillary, but not always in a very pleasant way - I'd still pick her in the "would you like to have a beer with them" contest. Hillary might be privately bored and not say anything very interesting, but at least she'd be polite, whereas Trump would probably interrupt about ten seconds into the conversation and then talk about himself for half an hour straight.