270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LegolasRedbard

The One Party State: Democrats Playthrough 1960 - 2020

Just now, Patine said:

HUMAN HISTORY? Not just U.S. electoral history, but human history? *shakes head sadly and goes back to armchair and dusty old history books the kids have all forgotten about*

It was a parody of two things. The hyper-exaggeration of politicians, and how everyone seems it necessary to say they don't agree with George Wallace

BREAKING: GERALD FORD, SENATE MAJORITY LEADER WINS IOWA CAUCUS FOR REPUBLICANS, UDALL WINS FOR DEMS

BREAKING: GEORGE WALLACE SCORES UPSET IN NORTH CAROLINA, KENNEDY BARELY AHEAD OF CARTER

George Bush has withdrawn from the Republican Primaries

The Democratic National Committee Chairman has announced a proposal to expel George Wallace from the party, saying

"There is no place for such bigotry here."

Wallace's candidacy has been suspended, but there is widespread anger about his expulsion

General Election

Gerald Ford, the Senate Majority Leader, has been nominated narrowly over Spiro Agnew, taking Bob Dole, the conservative, as his running mate. Meanwhile, riots and threats of distancing from the national party by southern state Democratic Parties forced Ted Kennedy to take George Wallace as his running mate. Eugene McCarthy is the main third party challenger. Could this get any stranger?

AS KENNEDY POPULARITY DECLINES, RUMOURS OF RE-OPENING OF CHAPPAQUIDDICK INVESTIGATION FLOAT

Senator Kennedy has won the first debate, completely thrashing the Senate Majority Leader

The State of the Race - October 4th

Despite initial criticism from progressives, Ted Kennedy choosing outspoken Alabama Governor George Wallace as consolation for the south seems like the best strategy for this election

Capture.PNG.4408a22fa0f80e6e8dad1e07638cfa16.PNG

With the next debate on Wednesday, could Ford make inroads in the closest states, and turn his image around?

Just now, LegolasRedbard said:

With the next debate on Wednesday, could Ford make inroads in the closest states, and turn his image around?

No, he could not. He struggled his way through the debate, only to finally hit upon the worst gaffe yet

Kennedy has now extended his lead, and Ford has angered many with the remark

In the Vice Presidential Debate, Senator Bob Dole managed to beat George Wallace reasonably

BREAKING: FINAL PRE-ELECTION POLL PUTS ELECTION TOO CLOSE TO CALL

Hello, and welcome to ANN's coverage of the 1976 Presidential Election, our first projections put Indiana in Ford's column, with Kentucky too close to call

Capture.PNG

With the 7 PM and 7:30 PM polls closed, we can now update the projections

Capture.PNG.172b5e9a0b4a8142f2f15c63afc3a0dc.PNG

This whole race is too close to call, with Ford at 50.4% and Kennedy at 49.3%

We have just updated our projections again. At the moment, no state can be called, considering the results are so close

BREAKING: NEW PROJECTIONS

Capture.PNG.abb493e79204f3aa924d13797cb3d84d.PNG

BREAKING:

The polls were way off, and as the night progressed, it looked less and less likely that Kennedy would win these states. ANN will review their processes for projection in future.

Capture.PNG.77ec5e25697b415890601904f04db14b.PNG

President-Elect Ford, in by the seat of his pants via Mississippi, where he won by less than 9,000 votes. Eugene McCarthy has been slammed by many as the reason for Kennedy's loss. However, Senator Kennedy has demanded a recount in Mississippi...

Popular Vote Tally (before re-count)

Ford: 49%

Kennedy: 52%

Okay, there is no reason why Mississippi would have gone Ford. Wallace being VP and all.. Dumb PI

2 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Okay, there is no reason why Mississippi would have gone Ford. Wallace being VP and all.. Dumb PI

That's why there's a recount going on. They were leading there for the whole campaign

RECOUNT RESULT:

Ted Kennedy has become President by under 500 votes in Mississippi.

He has announced that his goal is to pass a constitutional amendment to abolish the electoral college

1 hour ago, Kingthero said:

Actually, Ford was EXTREMELY popular in Mississippi and nearly took it from Carter in 76 IRL, and took it in the 76 GOP primaries, even when Reagan swept the rest of the South.

48 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

RECOUNT RESULT:

He has announced that his goal is to pass a constitutional amendment to abolish the electoral college

You just don't want to lose your challenge:P

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Actually, Ford was EXTREMELY popular in Mississippi and nearly took it from Carter in 76 IRL, and took it in the 76 GOP primaries, even when Reagan swept the rest of the South.

You just don't want to lose your challenge:P

Again, it was incredibly close.

Anything to hold onto power I suppose. Besides, things are about to go crazy.

13 hours ago, LegolasRedbard said:

RECOUNT RESULT:

Of course, things wouldn't go that way. Just months after his inauguration, allegations of tampering with the recount were spread, with allegations against Mississippi Governor Cliff Finch. Kennedy was further damaged when Massachusetts police re-opened an investigation into the Chappaquiddick incident. President Kennedy delivered a televised address at 9 PM on Friday 6th May 1977, in which he said.

The American people must not believe these baseless rumours and lies about me. It is an attempt from the right to disrupt our transformation of America. Now I want to say this to all of you. I am not a crook. I have not rigged this election, and I have not killed anyone. We must put partisan fighting behind us, and work together.

But worse was yet to come. The Mississippi House of Representatives began impeachment proceedings against Governor Finch, as evidence emerged that ballots had been destroyed and other ballots were added during the recount. The impeachment went ahead, and after a trial by the State Senate, the Governor was impeached. Kennedy was now facing assaults from all sides, with Vice President Wallace looking likely to resign. On Independence Day 1977, Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter was the first to announce he would run against Kennedy in 1980.But would he even be running against Kennedy? Attorney General Mondale, under immense pressure from Republicans and Democrats to do something, and from President Kennedy to clear his name, appointed a special prosecutor to investigate. Their findings were damning. As the House attempted to impeach Kennedy on charges of perjury and rigging the recount. And then it happened

My fellow Americans... From the discussions I have had with Congressional leaders I have come to the conclusion I cannot effectively carry out the duties of this office under the current circumstances. Therefore I shall resign the presidency effective noon tomorrow, and Vice President Wallace will assume the presidency.

It is against all of my instincts to resign at only seven months into my term, but I must put my country before myself

President Kennedy sent his resignation letter to Cyrus Vance, and flew away in a helicopter, becoming the first President in US history to resign, but almost certainly not the last.

George Wallace, at this point aging and in constant pain, wanted to act as a caretaker president, but in 1979 the Iran Hostage Crisis began. Announcing his decision not to run for a term of his own, Wallace spent all his time trying to keep gas prices reasonable and end the hostage crisis.

Election 1980 - Primaries.

Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter is the current Democratic frontrunner by a massive margin, with Jerry Brown and Hugh Carey far behind. Meanwhile, Ronald Reagan has declined to run for the presidency again, citing his age, leaving 1976 nominee (and rightful winner) Gerald Ford as the frontrunner, with former Democratic Texan governor John Connally behind him