270soft Forum
vcczar

Historical Scenario Commission Election Updates!

9 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar in late 1975, early 1976 the case about Kosher food in prison was heard and decided. (US vs Kahane)

Ok, remind me of this when I get back to 1976. I'm focused on 1788 right now. 

Also in the 1984 scenario you might want to have an event about Kahane's party winning a Knesset seat considering he was a well known figure in America at the time.

16 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Also in the 1984 scenario you might want to have an event about Kahane's party winning a Knesset seat considering he was a well known figure in America at the time.

Was Israel a big issue in the 1984 election? Were any of the candidates strongly against supporting Israel? Even Jackson just never mentioned it, as I recall, as he was trying to de-emphasize foreign affairs as a whole and make a stated focus on domestic affairs.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Was Israel a big issue in the 1984 election? Were any of the candidates strongly against supporting Israel? Even Jackson just never mentioned it, as I recall, as he was trying to de-emphasize foreign affairs as a whole and make a stated focus on domestic affairs.

I don't think so but Kahane was storngly anti-Jackson (he also didn't like Ford because of the whole general Brown thing).

The 1975 and 1976 events do warrant inclusion as they were a big deal.

5 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

The 1975 and 1976 events do warrant inclusion as they were a big deal.

1975 and 1976? You mean the deaths of Chiang Kai-shek and Mao Zedong within around a year of each other and the marking of the beginning of significant shifts in politics and economics in the Sinosphere (if it's not what you mean, it should definitely be included, too. The long-term ramifications, even if not obvious at the time, would become immense for the whole world).

1 hour ago, Patine said:

1975 and 1976? You mean the deaths of Chiang Kai-shek and Mao Zedong within around a year of each other and the marking of the beginning of significant shifts in politics and economics in the Sinosphere (if it's not what you mean, it should definitely be included, too. The long-term ramifications, even if not obvious at the time, would become immense for the whole world).

I meant the events above but those would be good as well.

5 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

I meant the events above but those would be good as well.

Well, the deaths of Chiang and Mao were definitely more profound in the long term and globally-speaking.

I've just downloaded the 1988 scenario and went through it as an observer - it's good although I saw something I've never seen before: on election night, the New Alliance got negative votes in Virginia (-8,847 to be exact) which is a little odd. 

13 minutes ago, willpaddyg said:

I've just downloaded the 1988 scenario and went through it as an observer - it's good although I saw something I've never seen before: on election night, the New Alliance got negative votes in Virginia (-8,847 to be exact) which is a little odd. 

That was from starting in the primaries, I've just run through the General only and it seems to be alright. I have, however, noticed that Dan Quayle's name is misspelt in the VP list when starting the General Election.

@willpaddyg

Thanks for mentioning this. Did you download the President Infinity version or the President Forever version? 

The primary creator of this scenario is @TheLiberalKitten who can fix the spelling and the error, possibly. I think Quayle error may stem from a typo. In the editor,  Dan Quayle might have a region bonus at "-100" for Virginia. I would check all the VP candidates to make sure none have a region bonus of "-100." I found this error in the 1992 or 1996 scenario, which caused this oddity (Please let me know when you fix these, so I can download it as well). 

I’ve been playing through many of the scenarios and noticed a problem in 2000 and 2004. When I try to add a candidate and or edit their ID, an error pops up about access. However, this isn’t a problem with any of the other scenarios.

1 hour ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

I’ve been playing through many of the scenarios and noticed a problem in 2000 and 2004. When I try to add a candidate and or edit their ID, an error pops up about access. However, this isn’t a problem with any of the other scenarios.

I'm not sure why that happens. I would edit the ID, exit out of the one screen (not out of the entire editor) and then go back in and the change would be made. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I'm not sure why that happens. I would edit the ID, exit out of the one screen (not out of the entire editor) and then go back in and the change would be made. 

When I go in to edit, it says "Access violation at address 004E4EE0 in module 'PI.exe'. Read of address 00000018," and it reverts back to the old ID. I've redownloaded both scenarios, and it still happens. Strangely, it's only those two I've had an issue with.

15 hours ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

When I go in to edit, it says "Access violation at address 004E4EE0 in module 'PI.exe'. Read of address 00000018," and it reverts back to the old ID. I've redownloaded both scenarios, and it still happens. Strangely, it's only those two I've had an issue with.

@admin_270  will have to figure this out. This is beyond my ability to fix it. 

I just received the same error trying to edit candidate IDs through the in-game editor. I was able to add the candidate itself however - the error only read when I edited the ID. The error does not crash the game, either, and the candidate remains. If that's the same for you, michaelsdiamonds, then I would suggest leaving the ID tag alone until a solution has been found - any new candidate you add should still function just fine within the game, it'll just look weird when you open the editor and find that "Joe Smith" is technically "Al_Gore_2".

I will try to see if editing the .xml file directly seems to have any negative results.

((EDIT - Never mind, the error DID crash the game and the candidate DID NOT get added by the editor. However I was able to edit the scenario through the normal .xml method, so if you feel comfortable doing it that way, it still works))

If the problem is somewhere inside the .exe, we won't be able to do anything about it directly since we can't access that part of the code. ((EDIT - and the problem indeed seems to be part of the game's editor not cooperating with the scenario for some reason))

I just wanted to say that everyone involved in this is doing an amazing job! All of the scenarios are well done and play amazingly. And everything is coming along great and ahead of schedule, from what I can see :) Keep up the good work guys. I'm anxious to see how this all looks when everything is done :)

Suggestions I've had for the game so far:

1848 - Silas Wright (Democrat)
1852 - Henry C. Murphy (Democrat)
1928 - William Hale Thompson (Republican)
1996 - Bob Casey Sr. (Democrat)
1996 - Dan Quayle (Republican)

5 hours ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Suggestions I've had for the game so far:

1848 - Silas Wright (Democrat)
1852 - Henry C. Murphy (Democrat)
1928 - William Hale Thompson (Republican)
1996 - Bob Casey Sr. (Democrat)
1996 - Dan Quayle (Republican)

Thanks. If you could post these as comments on the campaign pages in the download section, then that would be really helpful. As I'll definitely check that, but I might not be going back over this thread for every election, as I have way too many threads like this. Alternative, you could bring them up when I start working on 1848 and beyond. I'm still on 1828. 

I know this may be the wrong place to ask, but is there anywhere I can find some maps of Kentucky and Utah? I'm thinking about making a couple of scenarios myself. Senate and gubernatorial stuff.

13 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

I know this may be the wrong place to ask, but is there anywhere I can find some maps of Kentucky and Utah? I'm thinking about making a couple of scenarios myself. Senate and gubernatorial stuff.

@jvikings1 was using a map of Kentucky for a Gubernatorial and a Senatorial scenario he was doing a while back. I THINK there's a Utah map in @Conservative Elector 2's map collection. I can check that one, though I know there are a few States that aren't there.

9 hours ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

I used a map that I got from @Conservative Elector 2.

Although, you can use my KY governor 2015 scenario as a base so you don't have to go put all 120 counties in again.

10 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Although, you can use my KY governor 2015 scenario as a base so you don't have to go put all 120 counties in again.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that :) I wanna work on some senate races, as well as some governor races. I'm mainly interested in covering races that Alben Barkley and Happy Chandler participated in. I'm from Kentucky, and our political figures are seriously under discussed. I'm a huge presidential and presidential election nut and one of my favorite facts is that both the youngest and the oldest people to be elected to the vice presidency were born, raised and died in Kentucky: John C. Breckinridge (35 at election, 36 at inauguration) and Alben W. Barkley (70 at election, 71 at inauguration), respectively.

@Patine Did you ever find out if that map pack had Utah in it or not? If not, that's fine. I only have one race I want to make for that (this year's senate race), and I'm more interested in that for the hypothetical McMullin candidacy than for the actual race. But while I'm on the topic, is there an Alabama map available? That's where I currently live and, like Kentucky, it has a lot of pretty interesting figures and races. The only bad thing about making a campaign for that is I can't do them accurately until a primary run-off feature is made available for the game, but it'd still be good fun to get one ready for such a day :)

There are also a few races I'm interested in making for this year. Once again, I'm more interested in hypothetical stuff, like having Kid Rock run for senate in Michigan, or Jerry Springer for governor in Ohio (those are both pretty silly examples, but you get the idea).  I might make 1990 and 1994 races for Texas, too. But I can't make any promises on that, or any of this really. I may try my hand at campaign creation and decide I hate it, or that it's too time consuming for me personally. Just gonna have to see I guess :)

10 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Thanks man, I really appreciate that :) I wanna work on some senate races, as well as some governor races. I'm mainly interested in covering races that Alben Barkley and Happy Chandler participated in. I'm from Kentucky, and our political figures are seriously under discussed. I'm a huge presidential and presidential election nut and one of my favorite facts is that both the youngest and the oldest people to be elected to the vice presidency were born, raised and died in Kentucky: John C. Breckinridge (35 at election, 36 at inauguration) and Alben W. Barkley (70 at election, 71 at inauguration), respectively.

@Patine Did you ever find out if that map pack had Utah in it or not? If not, that's fine. I only have one race I want to make for that (this year's senate race), and I'm more interested in that for the hypothetical McMullin candidacy than for the actual race. But while I'm on the topic, is there an Alabama map available? That's where I currently live and, like Kentucky, it has a lot of pretty interesting figures and races. The only bad thing about making a campaign for that is I can't do them accurately until a primary run-off feature is made available for the game, but it'd still be good fun to get one ready for such a day :)

There are also a few races I'm interested in making for this year. Once again, I'm more interested in hypothetical stuff, like having Kid Rock run for senate in Michigan, or Jerry Springer for governor in Ohio (those are both pretty silly examples, but you get the idea).  I might make 1990 and 1994 races for Texas, too. But I can't make any promises on that, or any of this really. I may try my hand at campaign creation and decide I hate it, or that it's too time consuming for me personally. Just gonna have to see I guess :)

5 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

I'm going to have a look for it. I myself am from Alberta, and I find the political figures where I live are underdiscussed and even very little known since @LordBeckett and @DisplayName seemed to have stopped actively posting (this @Uberdipper poster seemed to have vanished after one post that looked quite promising). I've read quite a bit about Happy Chandler - he and Henry Clay are big standout Kentucky politicians in my mind, at least. Alben Barkley I don't know nearly as much about, and I'm afraid I'm not a fan at all of John Breckinridge. I've begun a series of electoral scenarios for historical Alberta scenarios, so I wish I you luck and good progress on your Kentucky scenarios - regardless of the nation or other polity, I find myself much more strongly a fan of historical than current or imminently upcoming election scenarios.