270soft Forum
LokiLoki22

US Senate RP

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't belong to a political party, and I'm not necessarily a sheepish, party-line voter, and I'm willing to give praise and concession to followers of general political ideologies and parties I'd normally oppose and condemn members of ones I'd normally support if it it's warranted. I've also condemned the destructive effects of political partisan divide in general on modern governance and society on these forums as well, which is, by  definition, NOT a partisan point of view.

Exactly you can run a show entitled "Patine explains why you're wrong"  

24 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Sen.Paterson(R-NY) co-sponsors this bill. To please conservatives he proposes an amendment which amends Title II of the 1964 civil rights act to define private as "a privately run institution which receives no govermental assistance."

Sen Ramsey (I-PA) Co-Sponsors the proposed amendment

senator Stassen supports senator Ramseys "Love Wins Bill" adding a provision for "Freedom to refuse" which allows minister's the right to refuse to marry a couple in biblical pretenses. It also allows privately run businesses to decline to bake cakes for homosexual weddings.

"Under this pretense and only this pretense, I believe my Republican brethren should vote for this, Republicans lecture on government interference in things, but dont care much if people are interfering with someone's right to choose whom they love. This is wrong, we should all be able to choose what we do and do not want to do and how we wish to do it."

Stassen votes against the bill ending the draft

"There is no provision to deal with draft dodgers which comes first"

January 21st

On his first day in Office President James Carter pardons Vietnam Draft dodgers. (As per history)

Sen. Smart introduces a bill that would allow the Alaskan people to have a binding referendum on the status of Alaska.

"The people of Alaska were not given a chance to have a say in their future.  They were forced to accept an outcome rammed through without proper insight from the people.  The people deserved a vote on their future.  They still deserve a vote.  This bill will give the people what they deserve.  It is supported by the governor of Alaska, the at-large Representative from Alaska, and many of the members of the state legislature.  The rising popularity of the Alaskan Independent Party shows the people's support for a referendum.  I urge the Senate to give the go ahead for the Alaskan state government, which is led by the Alaskan Independent Party at the moment, to hold a binding referendum on the status of Alaska.

(Also, historical warning, the Love wins bill can and will cost seats, as much progress as we made, Homosexuality just wasn't talked about in the 1970s, and was deeply taboo for decades)

2 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

(Also, historical warning, the Love wins bill can and will cost seats, as much progress as we made, Homosexuality just wasn't talked about in the 1970s, and was deeply taboo for decades)

OOC: I was thinking that when it was brought up.  If hypothetically passed, it would make the US (in this scenario) the first country to do it.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

OOC: I was thinking that when it was brought up.  If hypothetically passed, it would make the US (in this scenario) the first country to do it.

By 30 years or so.

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

House wouldn't pass it. Every other senator opposes it b/c Gay marriage has about 15% approval in the US at this point, so it would be a death sentence. 

On 7/24/2017 at 3:57 PM, jvikings1 said:

Sen. Smart introduces a bill that would allow the Alaskan people to have a binding referendum on the status of Alaska.

"The people of Alaska were not given a chance to have a say in their future.  They were forced to accept an outcome rammed through without proper insight from the people.  The people deserved a vote on their future.  They still deserve a vote.  This bill will give the people what they deserve.  It is supported by the governor of Alaska, the at-large Representative from Alaska, and many of the members of the state legislature.  The rising popularity of the Alaskan Independent Party shows the people's support for a referendum.  I urge the Senate to give the go ahead for the Alaskan state government, which is led by the Alaskan Independent Party at the moment, to hold a binding referendum on the status of Alaska.

Senator Paterson":Sen.Smart this could have potentially devastating consequences.If we allow Alaska to leave the union by what virtue shall we deny that right to others?"

3 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

House wouldn't pass it. Every other senator opposes it b/c Gay marriage has about 15% approval in the US at this point, so it would be a death sentence. 

Just hire some lobbyists and it will get done.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Senator Patterson":Sen.Smart this could have potentially devastating consequences.If we allow Alaska to leave the union by what virtue shall we deny that right to others?"

Sledge

He has a point though Alaskans and Hawaiians were never given a chance to decide if they want to be American. The other states did. I would support, in the interest of our democratic traditions, a referendum in both states.

@LokiLoki22 then 43% of the U.S believed homosexual relations should be legal so it wouldn't be as much of a death sentence as you're making it out to be.

Trend: Do you think gay or lesbian relations between consenting adults should or should not be legal?

edit:I didn't read the bottom of that photo.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

@LokiLoki22 then 43% of the U.S believed homosexual relations should be legal so it wouldn't be as much of a death sentence as you're making it out to be.

Trend: Do you think gay or lesbian relations between consenting adults should or should not be legal?

Relationships should be legal is different from Marriage, as everyone is keen to tell you.

2 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Relationships should be legal is different from Marriage, as everyone is keen to tell you.

Sorry didn't see the bottom caption on that.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Sorry didn't see the bottom caption on that.

Is cool, that's why Im here

Sen. Smart:

I appreciate Sen. Sledge's support.  I agree that other states, such as Hawaii, should have a binding self-determination if they were not given a voice when the process was shoved through the process.  For this reason, I helped establish a sister party in Hawaii which is pushing for a referendum there as well.  We can give the people a real choice right now.

OOC: Every time I see my character's name, I think of Sister Sledge singing "We are family"

Sen. Ramsey:

I have helped fund Gay Rights Coalitions in major cities throughout the U.S, A love wins campaign. I Believe this has strengthened support slightly for the bill, though I must admit the deep south still does not show support for it I have made a map me and my colleges have put together for support of the bill and I believe if passed it will be a great accomplishment for the history of this congress. And to be the first to do so would be a historical accomplishment 

Green Majority Support

Red Majority Aganist

White 50/50

New Hampshire Was a complete tossup

Capture.PNG

Sen Martino praises Carter's pardon of Vietnam draft dodgers. 

"President Carter has proven once again why the people elected him, people want an honest government who takes in account what everyday people want."

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Seigle (R - NY): I'm from Brooklyn, my colleague Patterson is from Queens, both in New York City. Our city flag is orange and blue. Some of Our parks name's have Dutch origins; same with our waterways and streets. Why? Much like Alaska, we weren't originally English, it was forced upon the Dutch colony to join the crown. Should NY vote to rejoin the Netherlands, or be independent? No. 

I understand the history that Alaska has, an imperfect one, yet you need to understand Senator, it is easier to change within than within out of the United States. The Constitution, in all of its flaws and glory, has an article written for states like yours: states that don't feel  fairly represented. The article I'm talking is about the creation of the legislative branch.  Each state has an equal voice in the Senate: from myself, to you, to the god awful segregationist. Use your equal power to better the state and nation, not weaken it. 

And if you think leaving the largest economy, military, and democracy while being nextdoor to the Soviet Union will better your state than you and I have differing views on what's good for the nation.

Sen Ramsey (I-PA) criticizes Jimmy Carters draft dodging pardons.

"Men died for this country because they were drafted, and these pathetic draft dodgers avoided it, avoided serving our country while others had to die to take there place, pathetic cowards" 

Sen. Paterson(R-NY): To prevent nepotic pardons I introduce the Pardon Oversight act which would allow the congress to override a pardon or clemency within a week of it's signing by the president.

Sen. Martino (I-AZ) speaks passionately about Vietnam standing without his cane on one foot

"I fought in Vietnam, I may not have agreed with alot of the protesters or draft dodgers but when I fought in that war I fought for them to. That's what being a true patriot is. We need to fundamentally protect our civil liberties. If not then our Cold War will be a race to the bottom, that's not what Eisenhower or Kennedy would have wanted... The point is we have to make a decision as a congress of whether we are going to be better than the communists."