270soft Forum
LokiLoki22

US Senate RP

Sen. Robert Martino intrudes bill to give draft dodgers immunity from the law. 

"I fought in Vietnam, my father fought in Korea and my Grandfather in World War I and all of us unilaterally agree with the citizens right to protest even in times of war. That's what makes our nation different than others.  Vietnam was also incredibly disastrous after John Kennedy's unfortunate death we were engulfed in a war like no other. So I ask all my fellow members to support this bill to support the full aspect if the first amendment. "

1 minute ago, SeanFKennedy said:

"I fought in Vietnam, my father fought in Korea and my Grandfather in World War I and all of us unilaterally agree with the citizens right to protest even in times of war. That's what makes our nation different than others.  Vietnam was also incredibly disastrous after John Kennedy's unfortunate death we were engulfed in a war like no other. So I ask all my fellow members to support this bill to support the full aspect if the first amendment. "

Can I co-sponsor?

Sledge: I simply cannot support this.

I can't condone dodging the draft. Vietnam was awful and we must put it behind us, but not by setting the dangerous precedent that this bill does. We cannot grant someone immunity simply because they didn't want to serve their country. If we ever, god forbid, need the draft again, we must be able to rely on it, not to have folks moving to Canada hedging their bets that they'll be excused later.

Masters:

This bill is quite honorable, but shows a clear misunderstanding of the powers given by the constitution. I plead with President Carter to use his clout to pardon draft dodgers from Vietnam. I believe it is important that we allow the country to heal from this disaster, however, it is also important that what we write down in law sets a long term precedent. I do not want a law on the books that could be used for anyone who breaks the law during times of war. I do not believe the draft is a fair policy in a democracy as great as ours, but the precedent this bill sets is worrying. I will not vote for it, but I invite my colleagues to sign my petition to the President, urging his pardon.

Sledge:

I simply can't support pardoning those who would rather go to jail than serve their nation. That the draft exists is another issue, but I plead that Mr. Carter keeps the dodgers in jail because, no matter if you support the law or not, they broke the law. We can abolish the draft, but until we do that completely, we can't just go pardoning people who broke the law for no better reason than that the war didn't work out.

Fischer:

Introduces the Draft Abolition Act of 1977. It would abolish the draft, plain and simple.

It would take some convincing for me to support this, Frank. I need to know that should our nation need it, we can call on something extra. 

Masters:

I think Fischer is on to something. It makes no sense that a nation focused on freedom takes that away from civilians in times of war. I believe we should have a volunteer military and end Selective Services and all conscription. If Vietnam taught us anything, it's that war is changing, while our system for carrying it out remains stagnant.

2 hours ago, SeanFKennedy said:

Siegle (R- NY): with all do respect, is disobedience free speech? If we write a law granting clemency towards the draft dodgers, what's to prevent from someone from interpreting this bill to expand to another facet of our life? Freedom of speech for me could be treating every session of the Senate as it's a closed door session, and blab secrets to the ABC cameras. 

Stassen (R-MN)

"Vietnam was a losing battle, the government is to blame for draft dodging, not the people that did it, come on please, It was a war that was that was fought to lose and yeah, I was in World War 2, and my nephew was in korea, and was there draft dodging, yes, was it as prevalent as it was in vietnam, no, I propose an alternative, I cannot condone dodging a draft being a veteran myself, so my thought, anyone that dodged the draft, rather than prison, 6 months of community service, it doesn't show up on their record, if they join the peacetime reserves voluntarily, otherwise they will have misdemeanors on their record. 

Ooc: Stassen will try to be a mediator between the right and the left since as a centrist he identifies with neither.

We should probably set some filibuster guidlines in case it gets ugly....

Zachary Paterson(R-NY):The fact remains that these were draft evaders who knowingly broke the law must be punished.We must not grant pardons to violators because we disagree with the law they violated.

I see the arguments of those who want to limit the draft in the future.Here's my plan(Holds up Draft Oversight act) which institutes that any draft initiated by the president can be overridden by Congress 30 days from the declaration,if it's ignored or upheld during that period it shall immediately take effect.

7 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Siegle (R- NY): with all do respect, is disobedience free speech? If we write a law granting clemency towards the draft dodgers, what's to prevent from someone from interpreting this bill to expand to another facet of our life? Freedom of speech for me could be treating every session of the Senate as it's a closed door session, and blab secrets to the ABC cameras. 

OOC outside comment: Peaceful civil disobedience to protest unfair or authoritarian government policy was called out specifically as a form of free speech by such luminaries as Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, jr. and Nelson Mandela, though, of course, very few U.S. Senators, even as late as 1976, would probably quote such sources.

@NYrepublican

I think I want a Republican and a Democrat running talk radio. Not saying I dont think Patine cant be fair, but I would be more comfortable if I knew it was fair and balanced...

Sen. Martino introduces bill to give funding for research to help veterans struggling with PTSD. 

"I understand that my most recent bill was very radical. Here is the reason... we need to draw attention to this disaster and blemish on American history on many fronts .  A friend of mine who I've known all my life literally saw his older brother get mercilessly killed in front of him by a Viet Cong who used a young child as a human shield. Obviously seeing horrors like this takes it's toll on a person. I ask my fellow members to support this bill." 

Roberts supports Fisher's bill to abolish the draft. States that joining the military should be voluntary. 

Sen Ramsey(I-PA): Backs the Bill

1 hour ago, SeanFKennedy said:

Sen. Martino introduces bill to give funding for research to help veterans struggling with PTSD. 

"I understand that my most recent bill was very radical. Here is the reason... we need to draw attention to this disaster and blemish on American history on many fronts .  A friend of mine who I've known all my life literally saw his older brother get mercilessly killed in front of him by a Viet Cong who used a young child as a human shield. Obviously seeing horrors like this takes it's toll on a person. I ask my fellow members to support this bill." 

Roberts supports Fisher's bill to abolish the draft. States that joining the military should be voluntary. 

"Our Veterans deserve to be able to get help coming out of the war as quickly and easily as possible. I applaud Sen Martino for his introduction of the bill"

55 minutes ago, jdm06ltd said:

@NYrepublican

I think I want a Republican and a Democrat running talk radio. Not saying I dont think Patine cant be fair, but I would be more comfortable if I knew it was fair and balanced...

I don't belong to a political party, and I'm not necessarily a sheepish, party-line voter, and I'm willing to give praise and concession to followers of general political ideologies and parties I'd normally oppose and condemn members of ones I'd normally support if it it's warranted. I've also condemned the destructive effects of political partisan divide in general on modern governance and society on these forums as well, which is, by  definition, NOT a partisan point of view.

Sen Ramsey(I-PA) introduces the "Love wins" Bill.

This would introduce that Gay Marriage to be legalized. 

Senator Ramsey (I-PA) comments on Draft Abolition Bill

@President Garrett Walker "I Cannot support this bill, the USSR is at our necks and we cannot risk having no draft in case of war"

22 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Sen Ramsey(PA-I)introduces the "Love wins" Bill.

This would introduce that Gay Marriage to be legalized. 

Sen.Paterson(R-NY) co-sponsors this bill. To please conservatives he proposes an amendment which amends Title II of the 1964 civil rights act to define private as "a privately run institution which receives no govermental assistance."

Sen. Martino supports Ramsey's "Love Wins" bill.