270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

1808 Election Update (Historical Scenario Commission)

I'll post the updates/improvements to the 1808 scenario here. 

The Historical Scenario Commission consists of @jvikings1 @CalebsParadox @Patine @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @vcczar @NYrepublican @MrPrez @msc123123, all of whom will help in improving historical presidential election at their leisure. We will go in chronological order. 

[Anyone wishing to join the HSC can do so by posting here, and can help by playing through the scenarios to find areas for improvement, providing advice for improvements, and for suggesting events, finding typos or other errors. Suggestions for historical newspapers (for interviews), events, surrogates, fixing inflationary index, etc. can also be helpful. ]

Updates will be edited in the list below as they are made. 

~~~~Updates to the scenario so far have been~~~~

• Events added by VCCzar
  • A simulation party has been added to watch the election by VCCzar
  • Issue descriptions mentioning Whigs and Democrats are changed to Federalists and Republicans by VCCzar
  • Region issues set by VCCzar
  • Money coefficient set to 3 by Patine
  • Issue images set by NYRepublican
  • Adjusted endorser support by VCCzar
  • Candidate relations set by VCCzar
  • Adjusted ballot access, so that states without Popular vote only support the candidates in which they'd realistically support by VCCzar
  • Adjusted general election bonuses for Federalist candidates by VCCzar
  • "primary delegates" set to take into account the population of the states of 1808 by VCCzar
  • Flags added by Patine
  • Issue descriptions set, including fixing typos in "Slavery," "Rights of the States," "Tariff," "Taxes" by CalebsParadox
  • Charles Cotesworth Pinckney added as an endorser by CalebsParadox
  • Tammany Hall's support for DeWitt Clinton is increased by CalebsParadox
  • Harrison changed from Gen. to Gov by CalebsParadox
  • Candidate abilities slightly altered by CalebsParadox
  • John Jay added as endorser by CalebsParadox
  • Playthrough by VCCzar and CalebsParadox

@NYrepublican @CalebsParadox @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Patine

If you end up playthrough the available 1808 scenario, please note the changes I've made in the internal above. Many of these are fixed based on your advice for the 1804 scenario, and I have credited you for these on here. This one seems close to being ready to upload, but I'd like at least two more playthroughs to check for errors, inaccuracies, typos, suggestions, etc. 

If I can get some testers on this, I might be able to get the scenario up for tonight. I've already done 1812 events today. 

I am not going to be at work until Thursday, so I can put some more time into testing and looking for bugs. 
1808 Election Notes:
Fairly well balanced to end how it did historically. The Federalists can probably win if they play a perfect game, but it's not going to be easy. The closest I managed was 72 EVs. With the VP exploit and ad spamming I'm sure the Feds could win a sweeping victory, but that applies to every scenario and there is just no balancing for it. 

Bug Fixes:
After both conventions but before officially entering the General Election, the tabs for Federalist and Republican primaries still appear but switching to them does not change the map from the general election map.
Two vice leader debates and no leader debates. 

Endorsers:
Tammany Hall should have a higher value for DeWitt Clinton and Aaron Burr. (EDIT: I saw you've updated Endorser support in general)
Gen. William Henry Harrison in OH should be Gov. as he was the territorial governor of Indiana and had not yet reached any military fame. 

Candidate Attributes:
Consider changing Hamilton's stamina from 5 -> 4. 
Consider changing Pres. John Adams experience from 4 -> 5. 
Consider changing Monroe's experience and/or leadership from 4 -> 3. This is mainly due to him unseating Madison when all candidates but Jefferson are on or at least causing a contested convention in every default "on" game I've played so far. 
Alternatively, increase Madison's Command from 4 -> 5 due to being the heir of Jefferson. 
Consider changing Clinton's stamina from 3 -> 2 as he was aging very badly by this point in his life.

Polling: 
No noticeably weird support in any region.

Additions: 
1. Would love to see John Quincy Adams and Rufus King as Federalist options. 
2. All current candidates added as endorsers for contested conventions. 

I will be happy to play test 1812 when the post goes up. 

1 hour ago, CalebsParadox said:

I am not going to be at work until Thursday, so I can put some more time into testing and looking for bugs. 
1808 Election Notes:
Fairly well balanced to end how it did historically. The Federalists can probably win if they play a perfect game, but it's not going to be easy. The closest I managed was 72 EVs. With the VP exploit and ad spamming I'm sure the Feds could win a sweeping victory, but that applies to every scenario and there is just no balancing for it. 

Bug Fixes:
After both conventions but before officially entering the General Election, the tabs for Federalist and Republican primaries still appear but switching to them does not change the map from the general election map.
Two vice leader debates and no leader debates. 

Endorsers:
Tammany Hall should have a higher value for DeWitt Clinton and Aaron Burr. (EDIT: I saw you've updated Endorser support in general)
Gen. William Henry Harrison in OH should be Gov. as he was the territorial governor of Indiana and had not yet reached any military fame. 

Candidate Attributes:
Consider changing Hamilton's stamina from 5 -> 4. 
Consider changing Pres. John Adams experience from 4 -> 5. 
Consider changing Monroe's experience and/or leadership from 4 -> 3. This is mainly due to him unseating Madison when all candidates but Jefferson are on or at least causing a contested convention in every default "on" game I've played so far. 
Alternatively, increase Madison's Command from 4 -> 5 due to being the heir of Jefferson. 
Consider changing Clinton's stamina from 3 -> 2 as he was aging very badly by this point in his life.

Polling: 
No noticeably weird support in any region.

Additions: 
1. Would love to see John Quincy Adams and Rufus King as Federalist options. 
2. All current candidates added as endorsers for contested conventions. 

Thanks!

1. Odd. I'll see if I can figure the weird primary bug out

2. The issue with the 2 VP debates has been changed in the latest internal at some point before I even started this update. 

3. I increased the support for Burr previous to this update, but I did not increase it for DeWitt Clinton, which I should. Thanks for that. 

4. I will changed Harrison to Gov. It was general because he was copied over from 1812. Thanks for noticing that. 

5. Of the candidate attribute changes, I have reduced Hamilton's stamina to 4, Adams experience to 5, Monroe's experience to 3 (but not his leadership, as the Old Republicans were rallying around him as their leader), increased Madison's primary campaign strength, Clinton's stamina to 2. Very good suggestions on the whole. 

6. JQ Adams was a Republican at this point. May add them as candidates in a future update. 

7. Added John Jay as an endorser. The others are there, except for those that would not have voiced an opinion, Hamilton (dead), Marshall (Chief justice)

Thanks!