270soft Forum

1800 Election Update (Historical Scenario Commission)

vcczar

I'll post the updates/improvements to the 1800 scenario here. 

The Historical Scenario Commission consists of @jvikings1 @CalebsParadox @Patine @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @vcczar @NYrepublican @MrPrez @msc123123, all of whom will help in improving historical presidential election at their leisure. We will go in chronological order. 

[Anyone wishing to join the HSC can do so by posting here, and can help by playing through the scenarios to find areas for improvement, providing advice for improvements, and for suggesting events, finding typos or other errors. Suggestions for historical newspapers (for interviews), events, surrogates, fixing inflationary index, etc. can also be helpful. ]

Updates will be edited in the list below as they are made. 

~~~~Updates to the scenario so far have been~~~~

• Issue images set by NYRepublican
  • Money coefficient set to 3 by Patine
  • Endorser support adjusted by VCCzar
  • Relations between candidates set by VCCzar
  • Numerous events added, and some older ones edited by VCCzar
  • Typos fixed by NYRepublican & Conservative Elector 2
  • Adams taken off the ballot in Southern Legislatures (states with no popular vote) that he had zero change of winning in 1800. This stops the game for handing him those EVs randomly since the population is set to "1". Done by VCCzar
  • Playthroughs by Conservative Elector 2, NY Republican, VCCzar, JViking1
  • Changed the candidates on the PA ballot, so that both Adams and Jefferson could win one of the ballot, thus splitting the vote as had happened in real life. Done by VCCzar
  • Candidate goals fixed by JViking1
  • Weakened campaign power of John Jay by VCCzar
  • Vermont ballots fixed by JViking1
  • Delaware ballots fixed by VCCzar
  • Regional issues set by CalebsParadox
  • Burr experience reduced to 3 by CalebsParadox
  • Burr and Pinckney blurbs updated by CalebsParadox
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@vcczar I plan to play through tomorrow.

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar what did I miss in the issue icons? 

You missed nothing in 1800. I'll check the others as I get to each scenario. Good work!

@Patine The money coefficient for this scenario is 4. Does that seem right?

Just now, vcczar said:

You missed nothing in 1800. I'll check the others as I get to each scenario. Good work!

@Patine The money coefficient for this scenario is 4. Does that seem right?

I, myself, wouldn't set it a 4 until after the Panic of 1837 (so, 1840, at the earliest). I'd keep it at 3 for now.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I, myself, wouldn't set it a 4 until after the Panic of 1837 (so, 1840, at the earliest). I'd keep it at 3 for now.

Ok, thanks

Just saying, with the new events I just added, this is going to be a cool election to play. 

6 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

how much more needs to be done for 1800? I can do the beta-testing if you want.

I just need people to play it through to see if they can find errors, unrealstic imbalances, typos in issues and candidate descriptions, suggestions, etc. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I just need people to play it through to see if they can find errors, unrealstic imbalances, typos in issues and candidate descriptions, suggestions, etc. 

I don't know enough about the early years to tell you about unrealistic imbalances but I can check for typos and issue suggestions.

5 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I don't know enough about the early years to tell you about unrealistic imbalances but I can check for typos and issue suggestions.

If you could do that and playthrough the election (and let me know your results), that will be helpful. 

19 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

just e-mail it.

It's yet to arrive to my email yet. Any reason you can't post it here? 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

It's yet to arrive to my email yet. Any reason you can't post it here? 

oh the one online I thought you e-mail me the latest give me a minute to download it (I'm also setting up a poll right now)

oh the one online I thought you e-mail me the latest give me a minute to download it (I'm also setting up a poll right now)

I just need people to play the existing edition, since the mechanics are approximately the same. I haven't changed any of the wording, so any typos that exist have not been fixed. 

list of typos:

On the right's position regarding France, enemy is misspelled.

On the Alien and Sedition acts the right's position, "Increase the alien sedition acts" makes no sense. I think it should be "expand the alien and sedition acts"

On the size of the military issue for the left's position militia is misspelled also the center-right position should be "Dramatically increase the size of the military" not increased.

For taxes the center position should read "Taxes are fine as they are"

for the center-right position on slavery  you forgot to put a space between slavery and is

I'm testing the rest now.

@vcczar

23 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

list of typos:

On the right's position regarding France, enemy is misspelled.

On the Alien and Sedition acts the right's position, "Increase the alien sedition acts" makes no sense. I think it should be "expand the alien and sedition acts"

On the size of the military issue for the left's position militia is misspelled also the center-right position should be "Dramatically increase the size of the military" not increased.

For taxes the center position should read "Taxes are fine as they are"

for the center-right position on slavery  you forgot to put a space between slavery and is

I'm testing the rest now.

@vcczar

Thanks. Changes have been made. 

I did a playthrough (only space-barred through, though) with the version that is getting updated. Adams and Pinckney were elected, with Adams winning by a larger margin than expected. 

I played as jefferson in 1800 and I think I did Ok i still wonder who'd become president and VP in this scenario.Once you apply the changes the scenario should be fine. @vcczar

jefferson1800.JPG.9963611bf2579526b1398ed7458c1edc.JPG

Thanks, that's a realistic result. I just did a 2nd playthrough and got another Adams/Pinckney win. If he wins on the 3rd attempt, then I have to assume my events are favoring Adams and/or hurting Jefferson at the end. 

5 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar who would become president and VP in that scenario?

It would go to the House as it did in real life. They would determine between the two. In real life, both Jefferson and Burr tied. Rep. Bayard of DE decided the election after several house ballots. Hamilton detested Burr so much that he fought for his ideological adversary, and helped convince Bayard to support Jefferson. The controversy was that Burr knew he was supposed to be the VP, and didn't prevent some of his supporters from voting for him, so that Jefferson would have at least one more vote than him. It was fiasco, basically. 

Archived