270soft Forum

1788/1789 Election Update

vcczar

I'll post the updates/improvements to the 1788/1789 scenario here. 

The Historical Scenario Commission consists of @jvikings1 @CalebsParadox @Patine @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @vcczar @NYrepublican @MrPrez , all of whom will help in improving historical presidential election at their leisure. We will go in chronological order. 

[Anyone wishing to join the HSC can do so by posting here, and can help by playing through the scenarios to find areas for improvement, providing advice for improvements, and for suggesting events, finding typos or other errors. Suggestions for historical newspapers (for interviews), events, surrogates, fixing inflationary index, etc. can also be helpful. ]

~~~~Updates to the scenario so far have been~~~~

• Several new events have been added by VCCzar
  • A couple more events added by VCCzar
  • Event momentum decreased by VCCzar, as the events were too strong previously 
  • Region issues set (all region issues had been the same) by VCCzar
  • Scenario checked by SeanFKennedy & JViking1
  • Economic co-efficient ok'd by Patine
  • Issue images by NYRepublican
On 7/3/2017 at 5:41 PM, vcczar said:

I'll post the updates/improvements to the 1788/1789 scenario here. 

The Historical Scenario Commission consists of @jvikings1 @CalebsParadox @Patine @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @vcczar @NYrepublican  , all of whom will help in improving historical presidential election at their leisure. We will go in chronological order. 

[Anyone wishing to join the HSC can do so by posting here, and can help by playing through the scenarios to find areas for improvement, providing advice for improvements, and for suggesting events, finding typos or other errors. Suggestions for historical newspapers (for interviews), events, surrogates, fixing inflationary index, etc. can also be helpful. ]

~~~~Updates to the scenario so far have been~~~~

• Several new events have been added by VCCzar

Has anyone played through this scenario yet? I'm going to work on it some more today. I probably won't find all the issues alone. Any suggestions for improvements will be greatly appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Has anyone played through this scenario yet? I'm going to work on it some more today. I probably won't find all the issues alone. Any suggestions for improvements will be greatly appreciated. 

I'm still trying to think of a way to address the money coefficient (or money in general) issue, given it was the only U.S. Presidential Election before the minting of the "long-hair" American dollar.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm still trying to think of a way to address the money coefficient (or money in general) issue, given it was the only U.S. Presidential Election before the minting of the "long-hair" American dollar.

Thanks. I've made a few more changes just now, if you look at the original post. 

@jvikings1 @CalebsParadox @Patine @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @vcczar @NYrepublican 

If you look at the first post, I've edited it to include all the updates I've done. I'll probably go through and change up the bios a bit. After we figure out the money coefficient, I'll upload the updated scenario unless someone finds any other issues, or updates they find necessary. I will appreciate it, if someone can quickly play through the scenario by Thursday night. 

7 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I will probably have time tomorrow to do a play through.

Same.I would like to continue my playthrough of the Spanish civil war scenario for HOI3 though.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Same.I would like to continue my playthrough of the Spanish civil war scenario for HOI3 though.

If you ever want someone to play with/someone to teach the base mechanics of the game to, PM me ;) 

2 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

If you ever want someone to play with/someone to teach the base mechanics of the game to, PM me ;) 

I'm currently figuring it out through trial and error in my czechslovakia playthrough.

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@NYrepublican @CalebsParadox Do any of you play Twilight Struggle? If not, read about it on Steam. It's a cool game. I'm looking for people to place. 

@jvikings1 I look forward to hearing your feedback for the update. 

1. Twilight Struggle seems like it'd be a good game to play, but I'd worry about being too bad at it my first few runs as I pretty much don't ever play board games. 

2. Are you updating the download of the scenario as you make the updates? 

3. Will you be including head-to-head general election polls? (Say, Madison would be a stronger bet than Burr in 1808?)

28 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

1. Twilight Struggle seems like it'd be a good game to play, but I'd worry about being too bad at it my first few runs as I pretty much don't ever play board games. 

2. Are you updating the download of the scenario as you make the updates? 

3. Will you be including head-to-head general election polls? (Say, Madison would be a stronger bet than Burr in 1808?)

1. It's a board game/card game. If you like strategy games, you'll like it. 

2. I will upload the updated scenario when I do the complete update. 

3. That's a good idea. I should probably make some head to head general election polls. The first few elections are all general election, though. 

@vcczar

Alright, from what I can gather, the Continental dollar and the State-issued currencies were inflated to near worthlessness by 1788/1789 (the main reason the first "long-haired" dollars were rushed to be minted and put out by 1791). Colonial currencies of neighbouring areas (British colonial pounds, Spanish colonial dollars, French colonial livres, and Dutch colonial guilders) were popular among merchants, traders, and bankers in the new nation, mainly for stability and backing. My suggestion would be, to maintain sanity, to abstract currency for this one U.S. Presidential election alone.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar

Alright, from what I can gather, the Continental dollar and the State-issued currencies were inflated to near worthlessness by 1788/1789 (the main reason the first "long-haired" dollars were rushed to be minted and put out by 1791). Colonial currencies of neighbouring areas (British colonial pounds, Spanish colonial dollars, French colonial livres, and Dutch colonial guilders) were popular among merchants, traders, and bankers in the new nation, mainly for stability and backing. My suggestion would be, to maintain sanity, to abstract currency for this one U.S. Presidential election alone.

Thanks for this. Maybe, so that I can grasp the economics of this better, how should I adjust the inflationary index? It appears to be set at 4 by default. @jvikings1 @SeanFKennedy didn't notice any problems with the currency set at this number. 

Just now, vcczar said:

Thanks for this. Maybe, so that I can grasp the economics of this better, how should I adjust the inflationary index? It appears to be set at 4 by default. @jvikings1 @SeanFKennedy didn't notice any problems with the currency set at this number. 

I remember when I was making my old 1860 scenario by P4E2008 in the day, someone who had researched that said a monetary co-efficient of 5 (out of 100) was appropriate for that election. So, balancing 1788 being more than 60 years previous, but the monetary situation being very weak, 4 should make a sufficient balance.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I remember when I was making my old 1860 scenario by P4E2008 in the day, someone who had researched that said a monetary co-efficient of 5 (out of 100) was appropriate for that election. So, balancing 1788 being more than 60 years previous, but the monetary situation being very weak, 4 should make a sufficient balance.

Ok thanks!

Archived