270soft Forum
NYrepublican

Net Neutrality

Do you support net neutrality?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support net neutrality?

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:56 AM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

While that is true, its main userbase is American. Aside from you, and our token Austrian, this site essentially American in all but name. Now the new changes to the regulations can make it harder for an American to see this site unless 270soft pays Comcast a special fee(that is not at all a shakedown, or racketeering) so they will not be relegated to the slow lane. Of course, could they(Comcast and other American ISPs) even do that? Regulate the speed and access to foreign websites such as this one, or the BBC? If yes, would putting a site like this in the slow lane-or having its customers pay more to access said site- constitute as a tariff?

(pretends not to be offended that i'm not recognised as the representative of the UK)

6 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

(pretends not to be offended that i'm not recognised as the representative of the UK)

THE representative of the UK? I think a dual is in order when Wolves hears that (I just saw him in the Users Online list earlier today - though he obviously made no post). :P

1 minute ago, Patine said:

THE representative of the UK? I think a dual is in order when Wolves hears that (I just saw him in the Users Online list earlier today - though he obviously made no post). :P

Well, he probably should be the representative then. Primus inter pares.

Someone has to make it clear, if they're going to ramp up charges to single websites, the economy would collapse and we'd have total anarchy.

8 hours ago, Wiw said:

Someone has to make it clear, if they're going to ramp up charges to single websites, the economy would collapse and we'd have total anarchy.

Corporations and pro-corporatist governments don't care about the long-term or realistic viability in the future - only very short-term maximal profit at all costs for the wealthy corporate elite and the politicians whose palms they grease to pass laws to support, even ignoring the will of their own constituents, matters. The corporatists are an extremely myopic, short-sighted, apathetic, even vile, evil, and sociopathic crowd who are a bigger threat to the Western World (where most of them and operate), and the world as a whole, I might add, than Islamist Terrorism, Russian Imperialism, or Chinese Market Insinuation could ever be. They are biggest enemy today, and I find it repugnant how many people in the Western World have been willingly brainwashed into supporting them as a great good and an institution to be defended tooth-and-nail and rallied for MORE powers and less limits given to them...

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Corporations and pro-corporatist governments don't care about the long-term or realistic viability in the future - only very short-term maximal profit at all costs for the wealthy corporate elite and the politicians whose palms they grease to pass laws to support, even ignoring the will of their own constituents, matters. The corporatists are an extremely myopic, short-sighted, apathetic, even vile, evil, and sociopathic crowd who are a bigger threat to the Western World (where most of them and operate), and the world as a whole, I might add, than Islamist Terrorism, Russian Imperialism, or Chinese Market Insinuation could ever be. They are biggest enemy today, and I find it repugnant how many people in the Western World have been willingly brainwashed into supporting them as a great good and an institution to be defended tooth-and-nail and rallied for MORE powers and less limits given to them...

So Target is a bigger threat to humanity than floods apparently?

33 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

So Target is a bigger threat to humanity than floods apparently?

First, mass industry and unregulated use of fossil fuels, which is an endeavour created, exacerbated by, protected by, and which only benefits in the long-term, the mega-corporations, is behind the current round of floods that are considered a real problem (and all the other meteorological issues connected to them). And I will politely ignore the "climate change deniers" because they're denial and the faux evidence behind it are fueled by a campaign of lies and lobbying (read: bribing) of politicians by mega-corporations, who have the most to lose (perhaps the only ones, in the long term, with anything to lose, in fact) from meaningful regulations being put in place.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

First, mass industry and unregulated use of fossil fuels, which is an endeavour created, exacerbated by, protected by, and which only benefits in the long-term, the mega-corporations, is behind the current round of floods that are considered a real problem (and all the other meteorological issues connected to them). And I will politely ignore the "climate change deniers" because they're denial and the faux evidence behind it are fueled by a campaign of lies and lobbying (read: bribing) of politicians by mega-corporations, who have the most to lose (perhaps the only ones, in the long term, with anything to lose, in fact) from meaningful regulations being put in place.

Among respectable scientists the only disagreement is if that warming is human caused or not. Though in the past few years a lot of scientists who don't work in climate science, celebrities and politicians etc. have been ringing the alarm bell  about it to make money or to become famous.

4 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

in the past few years a lot of scientists who don't work in climate science, celebrities and politicians etc. have been ringing the alarm bell  about it to make money or to become famous

I always found it odd that conservatives (though certainly not all) criticize celebrities who advocate liberal policies but almost deify Ronald Reagan who was an actor before ever running for office.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Among respectable scientists the only disagreement is if that warming is human caused or not. Though in the past few years a lot of scientists who don't work in climate science, celebrities and politicians etc. have been ringing the alarm bell  about it to make money or to become famous.

But the big polluters have also been spending a lot of money on faux campaigns saying that climate changes has nothing at all to do with humans - not in the least - and that health issues from pollution are highly overblown (have you visited Beijing or New Delhi lately?), and that (recent one, with Trump has embraced), that it's all a conspiracy by China, which makes so little sense it insults the intelligence, as China's a BIGGER and more unrestrained polluter than the US and has less appetite for binding emissions control legislation. And, these big polluting corporations are basically bribing politicians to support them -but, since the Citizen's United case, the most vile Supreme Court ruling since Dred Scott, EFFECTIVELY legalizes the bribing of elected government officials or those running for office in the United States, it's looking pretty grim. Trump should ask himself one question, if nothing else - what will be left for Barron?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

... since the Citizen's United case, the most vile Supreme Court ruling since Dred Scott, EFFECTIVELY legalizes the bribing of elected government officials or those running for office in the United States, it's looking pretty grim....

Money does amount to speech in many cases. For example, if you give a $500 donation to the (hypothetical) Institute for Weed Legalization in Canada, that is obviously a form of speech. Why should corporate donations be treated differently.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

But the big polluters have also been spending a lot of money on faux campaigns saying that climate changes has nothing at all to do with humans - not in the least - and that health issues from pollution are highly overblown (have you visited Beijing or New Delhi lately?), and that (recent one, with Trump has embraced), that it's all a conspiracy by China, which makes so little sense it insults the intelligence, as China's a BIGGER and more unrestrained polluter than the US and has less appetite for binding emissions control legislation. And, these big polluting corporations are basically bribing politicians to support them... Trump should ask himself one question, if nothing else - what will be left for Barron?

Well americans know next to nothing about their Goverment

49% think the president can just suspend the constitution at will.

38% knew which party controlled the House and the Senate in 2014.

20% think that when the Supreme court decides a case 5-4 the decision is sent to congress for reconsideration

and this is just plainly worrying (especially the bottom one)

pollquestion1.jpg

pollquestion2.jpg

Money does amount to speech in many cases. For example, if you give a $500 donation to the (hypothetical) Institute for Weed Legalization in Canada, that is obviously a form of speech. Why should corporate donations be treated differently.

49% think the president can just suspend the constitution at will.

38% knew which party controlled the House and the Senate in 2014.

20% think that when the Supreme court decides a case 5-4 the decision is sent to congress for reconsideration

and this is just plainly worrying (especially the bottom one)

pollquestion1.jpg

pollquestion2.jpg

As to your first statement, free speech and press are NOT expressed in a constitutional government by paying money. You're confusing and conflating that inappropriate with the free market capitalist principle of "voting with your pocketbook." The two principles are not, ideally and ethically, and in any appropriate manner, inter-compatible. In a constitutional electoral system, an elected officials' primary loyalty should be, above all other things, to their constituents, and, if they are willing to act against the will of their constituents freely because some donors or special interest groups or lobbyists gave them money, they have committed corruption and graft - plain and simple, and SHOULD be punished accordingly.

As for the woeful level of education and knowledge held by so many Americans, there are solutions to that, but American educational and social movements and institutions, regardless of their political leaning, seem unwilling, for the most part, to seriously consider them.

4 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

That's  because education in this country is FUCKED  and that's because the ruling class doesn't want a populace who knows how much they're getting screwed!

6 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Well if you run for office and i come to you and give you millions of dollars in campaign funds on the condition you say try to abolish the EPA or loosen restrictions on my business you'll probably be likely to listen to me than some guy who gives you 500 dollars and asks you "Hey my kids got a disease my insurance wont cover could you try to help me out with reducing the chance i go into bankruptcy trying to save my kid!".

2 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

That's  because education in this country is FUCKED  and that's because the ruling class doesn't want a populace who knows how much they're getting screwed!

We must remember, in George Orwell's novel "1984," one of the principal pillars of Big Brother's power was control, manipulation, and dissemination of information. Historical revisionism, censorship, lies, and what we call "fake news" today were stock and trade of the Government of Oceania in that novel.

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

We must remember, in George Orwell's novel "1984," one of the principal pillars of Big Brother's power was control, manipulation, and dissemination of information. Historical revisionism, censorship, lies, and what we call "fake news" today were stock and trade of the Government of Oceania in that novel.

And worse fake history is taught in class

Among them : the US was minding its own business and never dreamed of an attack by the Japanese., that the emancipation proclamation freed all slaves and was done by Lincoln with the purest of motives(absolutely.not military at all) and more 

Among them : the US was minding its own business and never dreamed of an attack by the Japanese., that the emancipation proclamation freed all slaves and was done by Lincoln with the purest of motives(absolutely.not military at all) and more 

But you missed what I said when I said the solutions to Americans ignorance and lack of knowledge and education are clearly there, but the visions for educational "reform" promoted by politicians of pretty much both major U.S. parties will only exacerbate the situation, and the needed solutions are villainized, denied, downplayed, or decried for fiscal reasons or socio-political agendas. The Canadian educational system has reliably been far superior to the American one since I was in school (and that was back in the '80's).

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

That's not even including private schools teaching that math is a secular hoax!

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/education-creationism-104934

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Well there are still scientists who queation evolutionary theory.

Questioning the exact specifics of the evolutionary course of events as we know it due to discrepancies and "missing links,' that need to be filled in and corrected, perhaps. I've yet to see anyone use a scientific approach through empirical evidence, rigid experimentation, supportable analyses, and answering the inevitable metric tonnes of questions of endless contradictions from scientifically and methodically analyzed, studied, and backed evidence, to outright support creationism as being definitively more likely.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:24 AM, NYrepublican said:

Americans,do you support net neutrality; for non-americans do you support the equivalent measure in your country?

Yes, I support net neutrality. And if ever my country's government is stupid enough to do the same as US is doing now I wouldnt support it. Internet is already slow and expensive as it is in at the moment.

Our freedom and liberties were safer under GWB than they are right now under Trump. And he was the one who put the Patriot Act into motion!

People! If the FCC goes through with this you will lose your internet. All of it! Give them this message: we want our internet - if not, it's all-out war, we riot on the streets!

8 minutes ago, Wiw said:

People! If the FCC goes through with this you will lose your internet. All of it! Give them this message: we want our internet - if not, it's all-out war, we riot on the streets!

I do think definite change in society, policy, administration, governance, and leadership is sorely needed. But I don't think your Che Gueverra tactics will be very productive in a First World country. Even those Americans who believe that violent protest or the Second Amendment holds the U.S. government accountable don't understand that that same government, and it's military, can do things to it's own people that it's own seen doing to other nations' people on the news... :(