270soft Forum
NYrepublican

Net Neutrality

Do you support net neutrality?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support net neutrality?

1 hour ago, pilight said:

Google can be penalized by the Canadian government if they don't comply

And if they did that worldwide the global backlash would be massive.Google's in a lose-lose situation.

54 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

And if they did that worldwide the global backlash would be massive.Google's in a lose-lose situation.

Yeah, that decision could mean the end of search engines, which would make the web far less user friendly

11 minutes ago, pilight said:

Yeah, that decision could mean the end of search engines, which would make the web far less user friendly

or that more people will use non-commercial search engines like maybe some open-source ones.(They mostly have no owner so no one can really order them around.)

6 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Yes, but @Reagan04's view on gun right is quite wonky. He doesn't believe it's just a Constitutional right in a very few countries drafted and enacted by mortal leaders on the Earth, he believes it's a God-given right directly and is not granted, taken away, or enforced by government, but transcends government. The kind of chimeracal thinking that's corrupting the message, true doctrine, and credibility of all the world's major religions across the board.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Yes, but @Reagan04's view on gun right is quite wonky. He doesn't believe it's just a Constitutional right in a very few countries drafted and enacted by mortal leaders on the Earth, he believes it's a God-given right directly and is not granted, taken away, or enforced by government, but transcends government. The kind of chimeracal thinking that's corrupting the message, true doctrine, and credibility of all the world's major religions across the board.

He believes the right to self-defense regardless of tactics is a God-given right which is a fairly reasonable position.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

He believes the right to self-defense regardless of tactics is a God-given right which is a fairly reasonable position.

Maybe in some religions, but in Christian doctrine, properly speaking. Christianity is not doctrinally identically to other Abrahamic religions like Judaism, Islam, and smaller ones like Druze, Samaritanism, Yazhidi, Baha'i, etc. It's doctrines and point of are very distinct, and unlike Judaism and Islam, especially, theocracy (or even purely inspired- and guided-government legislation, or significant entanglements of the church and the state) and religiously-condoned war and violence for any cause (even self-defence) are anathema to proper Christian doctrine, despite the vast number of people who have called themselves Christians in history and today acting in complete reverse to that.

Maybe in some religions, but in Christian doctrine, properly speaking. Christianity is not doctrinally identically to other Abrahamic religions like Judaism, Islam, and smaller ones like Druze, Samaritanism, Yazhidi, Baha'i, etc. It's doctrines and point of are very distinct, and unlike Judaism and Islam, especially, theocracy (or even purely inspired- and guided-government legislation, or significant entanglements of the church and the state) and religiously-condoned war and violence for any cause (even self-defence) are anathema to proper Christian doctrine, despite the vast number of people who have called themselves Christians in history and today acting in complete reverse to that.

Fair enough.

I am speaking from a Jewish perspective though which says that if someone's coming to kill you, you kill him first.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Fair enough.

I am speaking from a Jewish perspective though which says that if someone's coming to kill you, you kill him first.

And that's understandable. But religious debates between @Reagan04 and I always come down to disagreement on Christian doctrine, so I think we can leave it at that until, and if Reagan04 responds.

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

And that's understandable. But religious debates between @Reagan04 and I always come down to disagreement on Christian doctrine, so I think we can leave it at that until, and if Reagan04 responds.

Yes, Holy Wars are against Christian doctrine, self defense never has been and never will be.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yes, Holy Wars are against Christian doctrine, self defense never has been and never will be.

"Turn the other cheek" was an important quote by Christ himself. Plus, many early Christians (prior to the conversion of Emperor Constantine I bringing the Roman government and Legions to the side of the Church) were very well-known for peaceful martyrdom for their cause - if you look at the list Catholic and Orthodox Saints from that early period, it's amazing the very high number who were such martyrs.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

As long as you ignore everything Jesus said and did.  IPeter cuts off the ear of one of the temple guards who came to arrest Jesus.  Christ rebuked Peter for taking that action and healed the man's ear.

Do not envy a man of violence, and do not choose any of his ways.  For the crooked man is an abomination to the Lord.

51 minutes ago, pilight said:

As long as you ignore everything Jesus said and did.  IPeter cuts off the ear of one of the temple guards who came to arrest Jesus.  Christ rebuked Peter for taking that action and healed the man's ear.

Do not envy a man of violence, and do not choose any of his ways.  For the crooked man is an abomination to the Lord.

Thanks greatly for that quote. :)

2 hours ago, Patine said:

"Turn the other cheek" was an important quote by Christ himself. Plus, many early Christians (prior to the conversion of Emperor Constantine I bringing the Roman government and Legions to the side of the Church) were very well-known for peaceful martyrdom for their cause - if you look at the list Catholic and Orthodox Saints from that early period, it's amazing the very high number who were such martyrs.

1 hour ago, pilight said:

Yes, y'all use that alot as a gotcha. You do know Christ was opposed to that retaliation because his mission was to be crucified. He did not come to fight, but to die and to save. That cannot be applied to a thief looking to mug you, pepper spray or a pistol and then running once the assailant is subdued is not unchristian. Now yes, if you are bring persecuted for your faith, you can throw yourself into the arms of God, trust in him. But for a street crime, Jesus does not reach to be sitting ducks.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yes, y'all use that alot as a gotcha. You do know Christ was opposed to that retaliation because his mission was to be crucified. He did not come to fight, but to die and to save. That cannot be applied to a thief looking to mug you, pepper spray or a pistol and then running once the assailant is subdued is not unchristian. Now yes, if you are bring persecuted for your faith, you can throw yourself into the arms of God, trust in him. But for a street crime, Jesus does not reach to be sitting ducks.

Christ personally makes no such distinction in his ministry.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Talking about that today I learned that tigers are female lions.

1 minute ago, Sami said:

Let's pass to something else rather than educating him:

Let's not. I'm not even pushing the play button, here. I'm sorry. I lack a true masochistic streak...

Let's not. I'm not even pushing the play button, here. I'm sorry. I lack a true masochistic streak...

He sings really well! You're lacking a great tune :o 

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Exodus 22 suggests that self defense in the case of thievery is only permissible if you can't contact the proper authorities.  "If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt for his bloodshed."