270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

Top 5 Presidents Of All Time

I know this topic has been done before, but I was interested in seeing if Trumps Presidency has skewed anyone else's opinions on past Presidents like he has for me.

1. Calvin Coolidge

2. Bill Clinton

3. Ronald Reagan

4. FDR/Truman (not a fan of their policies but their historic leadership through the biggest military and economic crisis of the 20th century earns my respect)

5. Donald Trump (probably still in the post-election honeymoon phase, but I approve so far)

Had Trump never become President, I believe the 4th spot would be occupied by Bush, who I somewhat despise now.

46 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I know this topic has been done before, but I was interested in seeing if Trumps Presidency has skewed anyone else's opinions on past Presidents like he has for me.

1. Calvin Coolidge

2. Bill Clinton

3. Ronald Reagan

4. FDR/Truman (not a fan of their policies but their historic leadership through the biggest military and economic crisis of the 20th century earns my respect)

5. Donald Trump (probably still in the post-election honeymoon phase, but I approve so far)

Had Trump never become President, I believe the 4th spot would be occupied by Bush, who I somewhat despise now.

I'd probably agree mostly but I'd put Nixon at #5 because of his many accomplishments.

48 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

1. Calvin Coolidge

2. Bill Clinton

3. Ronald Reagan

I think FDR would be the only one on your lists I'd even remotely consider putting anywhere close to my top five, but I'd have to mull over who my top five would end up being.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

1. Calvin Coolidge

2. Bill Clinton

3. Ronald Reagan

You always have been an oddball.

@ThePotatoWalrus What is the criteria for a "best president"? The list seems quite random. I'm also not sure what Trump has done to warrant being on anyone's top 5 list,considering he hasn't really done anything. 

My top 5 favorite presidents, in no particular order, are: 

FDR (for much of his domestic policies, and for his leadership in WWII, and for proposing a 2nd Bill of Rights based on economics)

Teddy Roosevelt (for putting muscle into the progressive movement, and for avoiding major wars)

LBJ (almost everything, except for the Vietnam War)

Lincoln (Allowing for the abolition of slavery, leading the North in victory over the South, and for much of his domestic policies)

JQ Adams (For his foresight by being ahead of his time in his proposed modernization, infrastructure, educational projects, as well as a relative abolitionist tendencies)

Note: this is not who I think was "best," it's just my personal top 5. If this was a top 10 list, it would probably include Obama. 

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

@ThePotatoWalrus What is the criteria for a "best president"? The list seems quite random.

This list was meant to be a subjective "best" or personal favorites because of their accomplishments.

On 6/30/2017 at 12:00 AM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

1. Calvin Coolidge

2. Bill Clinton

3. Ronald Reagan

At this point I would probably place Trump at third given all of his major accomplishments.

1. Coolidge
2. Clinton
3. Trump
4. Reagan
5. Truman

Worst would probably be Wilson.

16 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

At this point I would probably place Trump at third given all of his major accomplishments.

1. Coolidge
2. Clinton
3. Trump
4. Reagan
5. Truman

What major accomplishments? He's done nothing major that hasn't ultimately been an embarrassment, showed how uneducated and egotistical he was, or are just ticking time bombs he's placed waiting to explode destructively down the road, except MAYBE the Singapore Summit with Kim Jong-un. I can't think of anything else that shows the sign of a great leader or statesman, or even a competent one who knows he's actual doing, or anything but an arrogant bungler, and these tariff wars are just waiting to have their full economic carnage and utter detriment reaped - hopefully just in time to kill his re-election bid in 2020.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

What major accomplishments? He's done nothing major that hasn't ultimately been an embarrassment, showed how uneducated and egotistical he was, or are just ticking time bombs he's placed waiting to explode destructively down the road, except MAYBE the Singapore Summit with Kim Jong-un. I can't think of anything else that shows the sign of a great leader or statesman, or even a competent one who knows he's actual doing, or anything but an arrogant bungler, and these tariff wars are just waiting to have their full economic carnage and utter detriment reaped - hopefully just in time to kill his re-election bid in 2020.

If he's done nothing major then you have nothing to worry about.

7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

If he's done nothing major then you have nothing to worry about.

I didn't say nothing at all. It's just that what he has done has been detrimental and harmful, based on lack of information, incompetence for his office, or his egotistical arrogance, but that too can cause a lot of damage, especially of his loyal, devout cult of personality refuse to call him out on it and just blindly and unshakably believe he has the "Midas touch."

Ill give you my top 10 instead:

1.Lincoln 

2.FDR

3.LBJ

4.JFK

5.Obama 

6.Ike

7.Carter

8.Clinton

9.Truman

10.Teddy Rooswelt

On 6/30/2017 at 12:00 AM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

1. Calvin Coolidge

2. Bill Clinton

3. Ronald Reagan

Back in March, vcczar shared with us an excel ranker in which the user filled in values in certain weighted categories and the Presidents were then autoranked for you, here were my top five, I can share all 44 if you wish:

1. George Washington - 305
  2. Ronald Reagan - 303
  3. Thomas Jefferson - 246
  4. Calvin Coolidge - 201
  5. Dwight Eisenhower -151

(The numbers are how many points they were awarded)

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Back in March, vcczar shared with us an excel ranker in which the user filled in values in certain weighted categories and the Presidents were then autoranked for you, here were my top five, I can share all 44 if you wish:

2. Ronald Reagan - 303
  4. Calvin Coolidge - 201

Calvin Coolidge? What did he do of great merit (except being one of the three successive U.S. Presidents, right between Harding and Hoover, who's contiguous sets of economic policies led to the Wall Street Crash of 1929)?

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Calvin Coolidge? What did he do of great merit (except being one of the three successive U.S. Presidents, right between Harding and Hoover, who's contiguous sets of economic policies led to the Wall Street Crash of 1929)?

I believe had his policies been implemented by his successor, we would not have had a Great Depression, he had one of the best governing policies for a President and one of the best economic philosophies ever seen. 

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I believe had his policies been implemented by his successor, we would not have had a Great Depression, he had one of the best governing policies for a President and one of the best economic philosophies ever seen. 

Yep yep. Hoover and FDR caused the depression. (Mostly Hoover though) Although I would argue that he had the  best governing policy.

14 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Yep yep. Hoover and FDR caused the depression. (Mostly Hoover though) Although I would argue that he had the  best governing policy.

How is it even POSSIBLE that FDR's Presidency caused, or helped cause, the Great Depression, when he was elected after the Depression hit as an electoral reaction to, and because of his promises around dealing with, the Great Depression? Your statement is nonsensical, and smacks of historical revisionism by someone that's been fed to you at some point.

32 minutes ago, Patine said:

How is it even POSSIBLE that FDR's Presidency caused, or helped cause, the Great Depression, when he was elected after the Depression hit as an electoral reaction to, and because of his promises around dealing with, the Great Depression? Your statement is nonsensical, and smacks of historical revisionism by someone that's been fed to you at some point.

I believe he is referring to causing the depression to be prolonged

On 8/5/2018 at 7:59 PM, Reagan04 said:

2. Ronald Reagan - 303
  4. Calvin Coolidge - 201

Do you still have that autoranker?If so,can you send it to me because i would love to test on myself.

6 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Do you still have that autoranker?If so,can you send it to me because i would love to test on myself.

Here you are, the instructions are also included which I figured were rather important 

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

I believe he is referring to causing the depression to be prolonged

I’m curious how you draw that conclusion. Are you referring to the recession from 1937 to 1938?

4 hours ago, Patine said:

It is fairly reasonable to say that FDR prolonged the Great Depression and it was his policies (originally enacted by fellow Big Government man Herbert Hoover) that exacerbated an economic slump into The Great Depression. But no, of course FDR did not caused the Great Depression, but his policies only fueled that flame.

On 8/5/2018 at 12:57 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

1. Coolidge
2. Clinton
3. Trump
4. Reagan
5. Truman

Flip Clinton and Trump now. Trump is now the second greatest President of all time

39 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Flip Clinton and Trump now. Trump is now the second greatest President of all time

Incumbent prioritization zeitgeist syndrome. A REAL observed social trend.

47 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

And what has caused you to change this?