270soft Forum
vcczar

US 2020 Election Issues

As many of you know, I'm in the process of updating my 2020 Election. I'm now considering altering some of the issues or adding other issues. Please let me know which issues you think will be important in 2020. Currently, I have the following. Please give feedback and suggestions. Constructive criticism is desired: 

1. Abortion  (considering changing this to Planned Parenthood)

2. China 

3. Defense Spending

4. Education

5. Energy

6. Environment (might change this specifically to Climate Change)

7. Financial Regulations

8. Free Trade (might change it to Free Trade vs. Protectionism)

9. Government Spending (might change it to Federal Budget)

10. Gridlock (might rename it to Congressional Gridlock or Bipartisanship)

11. Gun Control

12. Health Care (might change it to Obamacare vs. Trumpcare)

13. Immigration (might change it to specifically to Immigration Ban)

14. Iran

15. LGBT Rights

16. Military Intervention 

17. Reform (which would deal generally with both election and governmental reform)

18. Refugees (may change it specifically to Syrian refugees or to Sanctuary Cities)

19. Role of Government

20. Russia

21. Social Security

22. Student Debt (I'm banking that this becomes important enough to put here in 2020.)

23. Tax Rates

24. War on Drugs (might change it to Drug Legalization)

25. War on Terror 

Potential additions:

Syria

Impeachment

Electoral College 

51st State (for DC and/or Puerto Rico)

Power of the Presidency

ALT-Right or Populism

Minimum Wage

Border Wall

Trump's Foreign Policy (regarding America's quickly declining leadership abroad--even McCain says America's foreign policy was stronger under Obama)

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

ALT-Right or Populism

"Alt-Right" is one of (many) terms used today that should just really disappear from the common parlance. It is not as all a  new or "alternative" right-wing movement with new ideas, philosophies, policies, and solutions. It is old-fashioned racist, xenophobic, siege mentality, White supremacist, Fascist-myth-believing, right-wing-conspiracy-theorist political ideology that has been around for over two centuries, with it's only "evolution" being the addition of bad ideas and myths accreted over time, that was just suddenly renamed and rebranded and a surprising number of people fell for it.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

"Alt-Right" is one of (many) terms used today that should just really disappear from the common parlance. It is not as all a  new or "alternative" right-wing movement with new ideas, philosophies, policies, and solutions. It is old-fashioned racist, xenophobic, siege mentality, White supremacist, Fascist-myth-believing, right-wing-conspiracy-theorist political ideology that has been around for over two centuries, with it's only "evolution" being the addition of bad ideas and myths accreted over time, that was just suddenly renamed and rebranded and a surprising number of people fell for it.

Alt-Right is a term coined by the media to attack Trump and some on the right who are considered by some to be populist.

@vcczar

1.  No don't unlike "Gay Marriage", I view abortion as an issue that the American public is drifting to the right on, however slowly and will remain very controversial for a while. A Full ban is still a position on par with others.
  2.  Yes, good idea, China in the age of Trump will be interesting as, in my opinion, we need to form a mutual alliance to deal with N. Korea.
  3.  Yes
  4.  Yes, this will remain a big issue for the rest of American history.
  5. Again, this is an issue that both sides are starting to pick up as a talking point if anything it will rise to prominence
  6. Probably a good idea as the Environment is a rather unifying topic, not a campaign issue.
  7. This is sure to make a big return as in my opinion we are headed for another crash sooner than later.
  8. Good idea here but the vs is unneeded as all issues are inherent "VS" issues
  9. Yes make that change, sounds better
  10. This is an issue that I don't recommend you keep because it isn't a campaign issue and a rather monolithic one if it were, however, if yu do keep it, change to Bipartisanship.
  11. YES, again this is not going away anytime soon
  12. Again, no vs needed as it can be explained in the issue stances thought O-care v T-care might be a good way to phrase positions with the Farthest to each side supporting neither.
  13. Yes, making some slighter changes and boosting this will be big
  14. Depending on what Trump does and how Iran acts this one could be background or major
  15. This is better as Marriage has faded, things like RFRA take precedence
  16. Always an issue
  17. This could be combined with EC later on the list
  18. Do immigration as a whole and compact these issues
  19. Always a pain in the butt
  20. Ehhh, depends on if Putin is a dick to us in the Middle East
  21. Yes this is getting bigger and bigger with insolvency issues
  22. Yes a big bank indeed, who knows, I know where I stand, does the nation?
  23. Of course, always a nipper
  24. Probably a good idea depending if Trump keeps waging the war
  25. Yeah this will only get bigger as we keep contending with ISIL
  26. Good idea, but perhaps see 18 or make it an intervention issue
  27. No, this is not a political issue, I detest this being made a campaign theme
  28. See 17
  29. This will get bigger and I sense candidates wanting to take a stand on it
  30. I suppose but this is more of a campaign attitude than an issue
  31. Good idea as Progressives and Conservatives pick their battles, this will be one
  32. I doubt anything else will be pursued on this unless a big directive is passed it's dead in the water so just don't even bother with it.
  33. Yes, but perhaps say "America's role in the World"

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

As many of you know, I'm in the process of updating my 2020 Election. I'm now considering altering some of the issues or adding other issues. Please let me know which issues you think will be important in 2020. Currently, I have the following. Please give feedback and suggestions. Constructive criticism is desired: 

2. China 

3. Defense Spending

4. Education

5. Energy

7. Financial Regulations

11. Gun Control

14. Iran

15. LGBT Rights

17. Reform (which would deal generally with both election and governmental reform)

18. Refugees (may change it specifically to Syrian refugees or to Sanctuary Cities)

19. Role of Government

20. Russia

21. Social Security

22. Student Debt (I'm banking that this becomes important enough to put here in 2020.)

23. Tax Rates

25. War on Terror 

Potential additions:

Syria

Impeachment

Electoral College 

Power of the Presidency

ALT-Right or Populism

Minimum Wage

Border Wall

Trump's Foreign Policy (regarding America's quickly declining leadership abroad--even McCain says America's foreign policy was stronger under Obama)

1. It's pretty clear that this will be a dominant issue in the next campaign.

2. I love the inclusion of China as an issue

3. Defense spending is always an issue

4. Especially with the education secretary and charter schools, this will certainly be a bit divisive

5. No real changes here

6. I would make it climate change, as that's way more wide ranging/public friendly

7. Insert drain the swamp joke here

8. I think keeping it free trade would suffice, with protectionism being a wing

9. I like federal budget, as neither party seems to view the deficit as pressing

10. Congressional Gridlock seems more precise

11. Nothing to add here

12. One could feasibly see TrumpCare and Obamacare as individual issues as well, for argument's sake, I would keep it as Healthcare

13. I'd prefer to see Immigration as an issue with the immigration ban a position to take

14. Maybe change to focus on the Iran Deal?

15. No change needed 

16. Maybe Inverventionalism?

17. Political Reform?

18. Refugees should stay as is

19-25. Stay as is

I would include Syria, the electoral college, and Statehood, as the others seem to be premature or too present based, rather than issue based.

Gridlock doesn't easily break down into left and right positions.  People want the legislation they favor to pass and the rest to be buried somewhere.

57 minutes ago, pilight said:

Gridlock doesn't easily break down into left and right positions.  People want the legislation they favor to pass and the rest to be buried somewhere.

I think I have a good left and right position on this. The far lefts and rights don't want compromise. The left and right are wary of it, but are more open to it. The center lefts and rights are in favor of finding amicable solutions in order to make government function better, and hopefully improve  their favorability rating. Center is all for bipartisanship as a new principle of government. 

@vcczar I have an idea. what about

Tweeting at 3 A.M:P

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think I have a good left and right position on this. The far lefts and rights don't want compromise. The left and right are wary of it, but are more open to it. The center lefts and rights are in favor of finding amicable solutions in order to make government function better, and hopefully improve  their favorability rating. Center is all for bipartisanship as a new principle of government. 

That makes the left and right positions the same.

35 minutes ago, pilight said:

That makes the left and right positions the same.

Obviously, they will be worded differently. But the extremes on this issue will be alike in their obstinacy, and the moderates on this issue will be alike in their eagerness for more bipartisanship. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

Syria

Impeachment

Electoral College 

Power of the Presidency

ALT-Right or Populism

Minimum Wage

Border Wall

Syria - sounds good but what about it?

Impeachment?  So Far Left = incumbent gets impeached, or just that impeachment as ok? I don't see it as a campaign issue, which should be about ideas and policy.  f the Democrats make that the major campaign issue, they will lose badly.  But I digress.

Power of the Presidency - needs more specifics.  What about Presidential power?  Almost every POTUS going back to 1900 has abused power at least once.

How is ALT-right an issue?  Needs to be defined first for specifics.  It's an adjective, not a noun.

Minimum Wage and Border wall are good ones.

Instead of "Trump's Foreign Policy" making the issue about one person, how about just things like "nation building", "national defense", "North Korea".  I think it's way too broad to be one issue.

Thanks everyone, I've written down the feedback that I will use in the game. You have all been really helpful. Thanks again. 

I agree all the issues you listed are good potential issues.

On 6/12/2017 at 0:03 PM, vcczar said:

Syria

Impeachment

Electoral College 

Power of the Presidency

ALT-Right or Populism

Minimum Wage

Border Wall

Definitely keep 1-25. As for the new additions, the electoral college and 51st state are definitely great ideas to add. The others can go either way.

On 6/12/2017 at 5:11 PM, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar I have an idea. what about

Tweeting at 3 A.M

For crap's sake enough with the candidate-specific issues!  Maybe I'll make a 2012 campaign and include "Lying about health care coverage", "Giving guns and arms to our enemies" and "Increasing national debt" as the issues.  So many of these ideas are not real issues, they're just the result of anti-Trump rage and have no place in a campaign.

1 minute ago, servo75 said:

For crap's sake enough with the candidate-specific issues!  Maybe I'll make a 2012 campaign and include "Lying about health care coverage", "Giving guns and arms to our enemies" and "Increasing national debt" as the issues.  So many of these ideas are not real issues, they're just the result of anti-Trump rage and have no place in a campaign.

I was kidding when I wrote that.I'll edit it to make that clear.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:03 AM, vcczar said:

2. China 

3. Defense Spending

4. Education

5. Energy

7. Financial Regulations

11. Gun Control

14. Iran

15. LGBT Rights

19. Role of Government

20. Russia

21. Social Security

23. Tax Rates

25. War on Terror 

Potential additions:

Syria

Impeachment

Electoral College 

Power of the Presidency

ALT-Right or Populism

Minimum Wage

Border Wall

Enough with the candidate-specific issues.  Too many of these are ill-veiled frustrations of the Trump Presidency.

By the way, John McCain is a RINO who should have retired decades ago.  Obama was the worst foreign policy President ever.  Need evidence?  Look at what China, Russia, and North Korea are doing?  Strategic patience and cow-towing to our enemies has weakened our military, alienated our allies and emboldened our enemies.  Barack Obama at a fundamental level HATES the United States, or at least the American values of the Founders.  He thinks that the United States should not be near the top and that we need to even the playing field by bringing ourselves down to other countries.  The guy is a traitor who needs to be tried and imprisoned for crimes against humanity.

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I was kidding when I wrote that.I'll edit it to make that clear.

Apologies, I kind of figured that but I've been seeing those type of issues in several posts and I kind of lost it. I know I've ranted a bit in these posts and while I don't take back any of the opinions or thoughts, I could have stated them better.  It just infuriates me when I see people attack and vilify everything our President has done as being the worst person in the world.  There are many legitimate oppositions to Donald Trump's Presidency.  I wish he would tweet less, I wish he had more Conservative/Libertarian priorities.  But what I'm seeing in this board and in the media as a whole is this constant vitrol and hatred being launched at the Presidency.  I see loons trying to assassinate GOP Congressmen, comedians holding up fake severed heads of our President, then every day on MSNBC & CNN the constant belittling and personal attacks of Trump.  He isn't perfect but he's my President, I support him 100% because when I consider the alternative under Hillary...

You all know me by now.  I'm one of the few vocal conservatarians on this board.  I say what's on my mind when it's on my mind (just like Trump).  I can be brash at times but my opinions are my own and I make no apologies.  I know there are other conservatives on this board but they're not as active.  That's their business, I'm not criticizing.  Like what I say or not, block me or not, it really makes no difference to me.  I know there are enough people on here on all sides who truly like well-reasoned debate, and that's what keeps me coming back every time.