270soft Forum
SirLagsalott

Is this the ideal engine for US House election?

I got PMI UK today and noticed that it would be very easy to make a US House of Representatives election in. But I know Congress Infinity already exists, but I think that's for Senate only. I haven't played that game though so I don't know for certain. Has anyone played both and know which one would be better for this?

1 hour ago, SirLagsalott said:

I got PMI UK today and noticed that it would be very easy to make a US House of Representatives election in. But I know Congress Infinity already exists, but I think that's for Senate only. I haven't played that game though so I don't know for certain. Has anyone played both and know which one would be better for this?

CI is made for both Senate and House elections, and has official scenarios that come with it for both. It's MORE ideal because in CI, you're not choosing a head-of-government (Prime Minister, Chief Minister, Premier, Chancellor, etc.) through the confidence of a majority party or coalition like in PMI - in CI you just need to control a flat majority (or, in some fan-made scenarios, possibly a plurality) to win and not worry about an apex head-of-government position being elected from among the legislative body in question's members.

I personally like PMI better than CI.  Congressional scenarios could work with PMI if they were made.  The leader would just be a party's candidate for either Speaker of the House or Senate Majority Leader.

Are there any other differences between the two other than that in CI you play a party while in PMI you play a candidate?

19 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

Are there any other differences between the two other than that in CI you play a party while in PMI you play a candidate?

In CI, there isn't any direct campaigning.  All of it is done by surrogates.  In PMI, the leader can directly campaign.  PMI is a lot easier to play.  Even I, who has had some experience playing these games, struggle to do well in CI because the campaigning style is different than the one I prefer.

@SirLagsalott it can be done for PMI and I'm considering doing one to see how it looks(I can change some things so it's not a head of state) and more people have PMI than do CI. I'm all for it.

I really want more PMI scenarios.

7 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

I really want more PMI scenarios.

I want an actual library of fan-made CI scenarios to be out there without me making them all. While I have quite a few ideas for them (many, cleverly, that aren't U.S. Congressional elections but work better by this engine), I don't think one HAS to lose out to the other - scenarios should be made for the most appropriate game engine for the election in question, not just all "dumped" to one, even if the given subject of the scenarios aren't fully appropriate. That's my opinion.

Just now, Patine said:

I want an actual library of fan-made CI scenarios to be out there without me making them all. While I have quite a few ideas for them (many, cleverly, that aren't U.S. Congressional elections but work better by this engine), I don't think one HAS to lose out to the other - scenarios should be made for the most appropriate game engine for the election in question, not just all "dumped" to one, even if the given subject of the scenarios aren't fully appropriate. That's my opinion.

I won't be getting CI until people begin making campaigns. @wolves's French campaign he's developing and @JDrakeify's  UK scenarios is what got me to buy the game. Though until I see some CI scenarios I'll be sticking to PMI.

I think the engine is suitable for the game.(the UK version is very good. I can't speak for the quality of the Canadian version)

Just now, republicaninnyc said:

I won't be getting CI until people begin making campaigns. @wolves's French campaign he's developing and @JDrakeify's  UK scenarios is what got me to buy the game. Though until I see some CI scenarios I'll be sticking to PMI.

I think the engine is suitable for the game.(the UK version is very good. I can't speak for the quality of the Canadian version)

As I said, I do have quite a few ideas for CI scenarios of quite a bewildering array of subject matter, to be honest. In fact, I have a thread on my proposed German Reichstag 1871 scenario for CI, which I feel is more ideal because in the German Empire of 1871-1918, unlike the Weimar Republic, West Germany, or Germany since 1990, the Chancellor (originally Otto von Bismarck) was not chosen by or responsible to the Reichstag, or a member thereof, but was selected and dismissed at the pleasure of the Kaiser. However, the Chancellors of the day DID still have a vested interest in working with and machinating over political parties in the Reichstag (Bismarck had a coalition of "pro-Bismarck parties," and there were also, though not really a coalition per se, but a number of "anti-Bismarck parties"), and the Chancellor had a real interest in the results of Reichstag elections, because he needed his legislations and budgets passed, and thus, in that light, the Chancellor to the Reichstag, is more in the same dynamic (kind of) as the U.S. President to Congress.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

As I said, I do have quite a few ideas for CI scenarios of quite a bewildering array of subject matter, to be honest. In fact, I have a thread on my proposed German Reichstag 1871 scenario for CI, which I feel is more ideal because in the German Empire of 1871-1918, unlike the Weimar Republic, West Germany, or Germany since 1990, the Chancellor (originally Otto von Bismarck) was not chosen by or responsible to the Reichstag, or a member thereof, but was selected and dismissed at the pleasure of the Kaiser. However, the Chancellors of the day DID still have a vested interest in working with and machinating over political parties in the Reichstag (Bismarck had a coalition of "pro-Bismarck parties," and there were also, though not really a coalition per se, but a number of "anti-Bismarck parties"), and the Chancellor had a real interest in the results of Reichstag elections, because he needed his legislations and budgets passed, and thus, in that light, the Chancellor to the Reichstag, is more in the same dynamic (kind of) as the U.S. President to Congress.

Has all of those scenarios you proposed for CI actually going anywhere?

Some work has begun on the Reichstag one, including a map, issues (but not yet stances), the actual parties involved, and some other basics. The rest, though having skeletal premises, have enough that I could actually start any of them if I felt particularly motivated, though some would require specialized maps.

3 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

Oh, and I also have a nice start on a U.S. House 1854 one, the session of the U.S. House on record with the most separate and distinct political factions in one sitting in U.S. Federal history (seven parties and factions and one Independent).

@Patine if you finish making those scenarios I'll seriously consider getting CI.

I'm currently making a Senate scenario for an election set on another planet in the year 5644. It will be made in PMI. I was making a PI version of it too a long time ago for President but I'll return to it after this Senate version is done.

4 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

I'm currently making a Senate scenario for an election set on another planet in the year 5644. It will be made in PMI. I was making a PI version of it too a long time ago for President but I'll return to it after this Senate version is done.

I'm just curious how is Virginia 2017 going?

I'm just curious how is Virginia 2017 going?

When I make campaigns I normally want to have fun making them. When I was making Virginia with all 133 of its regions I was NOT having fun getting all the information and putting it in slowly and manually, maybe getting in one region every 5 minutes. I may return to it eventually but it's stressful to work on. Not to mention the fact that all the regions need issue centers, which I completely forgot about when initially making the regions, and will take me a long time to modify every region to change.

3 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

When I make campaigns I normally want to have fun making them. When I was making Virginia with all 133 of its regions I was NOT having fun getting all the information and putting it in slowly and manually, maybe getting in one region every 5 minutes. I may return to it eventually but it's stressful to work on. Not to mention the fact that all the regions need issue centers, which I completely forgot about when initially making the regions, and will take me a long time to modify every region to change.

I remember this doing a Florida Senatorial 2010 scenario back for P4E2008. However, the fact that Delaware Senatorial 2010, Connecticut Senatorial 2010, and Washington Gubernatorial 2008 and 20102 and Senatorial 2010 and 2012 were the other U.S. state-level scenarios I did made it much more bearable in the long run.

That's a thought! Would PMI be suited to federal elections? Or would it be better to wait for Chancellor Infinity?

5 hours ago, Wiw said:

That's a thought! Would PMI be suited to federal elections? Or would it be better to wait for Chancellor Infinity?

Chancellor Infinity is even less appropriate for the U.S. House of Representatives than Prime Minister Infinity. Congress Infinity was made with these elections in mind.

Actually I wasn't thinking of the US House of Representatives. I was thinking of something like the Reichstag.

2 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Actually I wasn't thinking of the US House of Representatives. I was thinking of something like the Reichstag.

Well Patine has a Reichstag 1871 scenario that's been gathering dust so lets' encourage him to finish it.