270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vols21

strategy

what different strategic tacts does everyone use?

barnstorming vs speeches?

what do you use in your theme?

how often to rest?

ads?

etc??

what have you found to work best /worst for different candidates?

If you put a very sucessful add with 7 or 8 power, across the nation you can get an 5-10 bounce, w/ a major canidate, and a 8-12 bounce with a 3rd party canidate. Its costs about 10 million dollars a day though!!!

the chances of getting an 8 power add are almost impossible (got it twice, in hunderds of games)

7 is rare, 6 is every few games, but you mostly get 2 or 4 strengths, they dont do much (1-3 dosnt do anything, except for select states_

I start with Positive Ads and then I use Very Negative Ads on my opponent. I've used this strategy every time. I've blown out my opponent each time. I remember One time in the 1860 Scenario I played as Breckinridge and I was down in Vermont by about 65% so I ran positive ads and then double negative ads on Steven Douglas and Abe Lincoln. I ended up winning the state. I think I've gotten 17 Point bounces before and It's pretty strong.

I've run most my campaigns without using many ads at all.

The few times I tried a negative ad, it backfired.

I can see where that would be the best way to build up a landslide.

has anyone won big by running a positive campaign?

I've ran positive campaigns and have done well But the real numbers come into play when you bash your opponent. The Best I every did in one scenario was about 67% with Al Smith in 1928, I destroyed Hoover.

i like to do research from the first day

then i release a few scandals in the last weeks of the campaign and spin them

it works to destroy the opposers momentum and bring in a few unexpected races

Having played the game many more hours than I'd like to admit, I feel obligated to share a few of the strategies that have worked best. Obviously, it depends greatly on the initial conditions, especially your starting funds. But perhaps my biggest claims to fame are winning with George Wallace and sweeping the whole country, save DC, with Ross Perot. Here's my tried-and-true methodology:

1) Shift your position to "Centrist" on the three highest-ticket issues. You'll likely take a one-time hit for flip-flopping, but it's worth it. Making sure the other candidates are non-centrist on those three issues--this is a MUST--set these three to be your theme.

2) On Turn One, start developing a POSITIVE issue ad for your candidate in one of these three issues. Meanwhile, start researching another of these three issues. It doesn't really matter which of the three you choose--after you start advertising in the national market, the issue will rise to purple prominence, regardless of where it starts. Spend the rest of your CP on the endorsements.

3) Repeat step 2) until the ad is finished. If the research finishes, move on to another of the three issues. Keep dumping the extra CP into the endorsements, but DO NOT, under any circumstances, actually move above the 100-point threshold; instead, you will break 100 on all four endorsements, or on as many of them as possible, in the same turn, so as to maximize your momentum.

4) When the ad is finished, run it nationally over every state in your strategy and start the next positive issue ad for your candidate, using an insight if available. The idea at this stage is to get as many positive issue ads produced as possible, since you'll need them to maintain your momentum.

5) In the same turn as you first run this first ad, break 100 on all the endorsements, preferably the momenergizing ones.

6) Next turn, you should have a groundswell of momentum. Now start building foot soldiers in all the states in your strategy, one at a time, focusing on the states in which your momentum is highest. Yes, this does mean you have to click on every state in your strategy (actually, use only the ones where you're not already ahead) to see its momentum level. The idea here is to use the momentum bonus for speedy, one-to-two-turn foot soldier construction. You need to crank these things out quickly, as you need a lot to have an impact--I typically get over 100 in a game, easily.

7) This turn, DO NOT run your national ad. Keep the continues issue insight research going, and the next ad in production.

8) Now your momentum will wear off a little, but you can't afford to blow money to keep your momentum unnecessarily high. Next turn, restart the ad.

9) From there on, keep building those foot soldiers, iterating through all the CONTESTED states in your strategy, using the ones with the highest momentum so you can capitalize on the bonuses. Keep building new positive issue ads, and successively researching for insights in the three issues in your theme. Do not try to "branch out" to new issues or do anything other than these few things. Once new polls come out, cut the ads in states where you have advantages, to save money. Do not build foot soldiers in states where you lead. Do not ever, ever move your candidate or have him give speeches or barnstorm--it's a horrible waste of CP and money. Foot soldiers will help you forver, whereas a speech (maybe) helps you once--a foot soldier is a much better investment!

10) Keep watching the polls as you repeat these steps. Once the number of undecideds has dropped near zero, it's time to start cranking out negative ads. Be strategic in when to develop them. Basically, you'd like to be able to run a positive ad followed by a negative ad in adjacent turns, so that you can both pick up votes (remember: voter movement works on a turn-by-turn basis) and peel them off from your opponent.

11) Once you've filled every state in which you don't have a commanding lead with the maximum five foot soldiers, THEN send your candidate around the country, one state at a time, to improve their morale. The morale bonus is HUGE for foot soldiers--it doubles, then triples their effectiveness, so you want to pick the states where it'll mean most. From what I can tell, it doesn't matter what the candidate does in the state; presuming he does SOMETHING--even if it's "Debate Prep"--there is a chance he will improve the state morale. I usually send him around on one-CP tasks so that I can save CP for the simultaneous ad deployment and research.

12) Let me know if you have any questions. My basic conclusion is that speeches and barnstorming are complete wastes of time--and that ads and foot soldiers, combined with good morale, are the most cost-effective way to deal the deadly blow to your opponent.

good stuff ken!!! I got a masterful score using most of your ideas (I forgot and let the ads run a full 7 days and blew my money too quickly.....but a few fund raisers - and foot soldier morale boosts at the same time - got me back in the game). I might have gotten more than the 448 ev's if I had thought to release the high power scandal I was sitting on.

I got hit by three 9 power scandals which devastated my momentum. But still managed to weather the storm.

I notice you didn't mention crusaders. I cranked out 3 of them in rapid fashion at the height of my momentum and they made a big impact by getting more momentum/votes in the close states.