270soft Forum
LegolasRedbard

UK General Election Poll 2017

UK General Election 2017  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you backing in the UK election in June?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • UKIP
    • Lib Dems
    • Greens
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SDLP
    • Sinn Fein
    • DUP
    • UUP
    • Alliance
    • BNP
    • Monster Raving Loony
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you think would make the best Prime Minister?

• Theresa May
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Tim Farron
    • Paul Nuttal
    • Caroline Lucas
    • Howling Laud Hope

As the title says, who are you backing?

(Also how do you tag people?)

10 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

As the title says, who are you backing?

(Also how do you tag people?)

I'd probably say I'd vote for Nicola Sturgeon myself, but she's not exactly running for PM (at least not of the UNITED Kingdom)...

I would vote UKIP because I think they have the best policies as a party, but I am not a fan of Nuttall as Leader of UKIP or Prime Minister.  I wish Farage was still the leader if UKIP.  If he was, I think UKIP could win some more seats in Parliament and hold the Conservatives accountable on Brexit.  Of these candidates, Theresa May would be the best choice.  Corbyn is a nut that would be disastrous. His platform is so far left.  Farron wishes to try and stop Brexit and override the people's votes.  Sturgeon is an opportunist and it looks like it might hurt the SNP in the election causing them to loose some seats.  The UK needs to be united right now, and she continues to try and divide the country.  I do not even know how to describe the Green's Platform.  They make the Labor manifesto look moderate.  Plaid Cymru is like the SNP.  Both are pro-EU and are dividing the country when it needs to be united.  Sinn Fein has some questionable connections and is too far left.  Additionally, its position on the EU is confusing.  If I lived in Northern Ireland, I would probably vote for the DUP is 1) UKIP wasn't on the ballot or 2) UKIP was polling very low.  The SDLP is pretty much the Labor Party in Northern Ireland, so I couldn't vote for them.

21 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I would vote UKIP because I think they have the best policies as a party, but I am not a fan of Nuttall as Leader of UKIP or Prime Minister.  I wish Farage was still the leader if UKIP.  If he was, I think UKIP could win some more seats in Parliament and hold the Conservatives accountable on Brexit.  Of these candidates, Theresa May would be the best choice.  Corbyn is a nut that would be disastrous. His platform is so far left.  Farron wishes to try and stop Brexit and override the people's votes.  Sturgeon is an opportunist and it looks like it might hurt the SNP in the election causing them to loose some seats.  The UK needs to be united right now, and she continues to try and divide the country.  I do not even know how to describe the Green's Platform.  They make the Labor manifesto look moderate.  Plaid Cymru is like the SNP.  Both are pro-EU and are dividing the country when it needs to be united.  Sinn Fein has some questionable connections and is too far left.  Additionally, its position on the EU is confusing.  If I lived in Northern Ireland, I would probably vote for the DUP is 1) UKIP wasn't on the ballot or 2) UKIP was polling very low.  The SDLP is pretty much the Labor Party in Northern Ireland, so I couldn't vote for them.

I think Sturgeon would have to, in all good conscience, abdicate her position as the leader of the SNP and declare herself an Independent if she sheepishly towed a line of "UK unity." I remind you of the platform, ideology, and purpose that has dominated her entire political career. Declaring herself suddenly a supporter of "unity" would, itself, be opportunistic and reek of hidden ulterior motives...

44 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think Sturgeon would have to, in all good conscience, abdicate her position as the leader of the SNP and declare herself an Independent if she sheepishly towed a line of "UK unity." I remind you of the platform, ideology, and purpose that has dominated her entire political career. Declaring herself suddenly a supporter of "unity" would, itself, be opportunistic and reek of hidden ulterior motives...

She doesn't have to be going around saying she is for unity.  But, she should stop playing opportunist with Brexit and wait until the UK leaves the EU before pursuing another referendum on Scottish independence.  I also think that would help the SNP which has seen a drop in support. Right now, they have about a 13% advantage in Scotland with 43% of the vote compared to a 25.7% victory with 50% of the vote in 2015.  The Scottish people are against holding a second referendum right now (most of those polls ask about voting before the UK leaves the EU).  Also, the Scottish people are polling against independence which will probably remain that way until the transition from the EU is complete in 2 years.

Sadly Lib Dems is the only party willing to be pro EU, and Corbyn's ineptness with the brexit negotiations is why I'd vote for the more centrist party.

7 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Sadly Lib Dems is the only party willing to be pro EU, and Corbyn's ineptness with the brexit negotiations is why I'd vote for the more centrist party.

Does the people's vote to leave mean anything to you?

4 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

The majority of people in Scotland voted to stay, and this is part of Sturgeon's activism at the moment. I can't speak for the Liberal Democrats and their point of view - I wouldn't vote for them, anyways.

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

The majority of people in Scotland voted to stay, and this is part of Sturgeon's activism at the moment.

I know, but the people are against her push at this moment.  I think she is making a mistake with her timing.  The people would probably be more receptive if she waited until the transition from the EU was complete.  When that happens, the people will be able to make a decision based on the deal that is negotiated and can go from there.

42 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I know, but the people are against her push at this moment.  I think she is making a mistake with her timing.  The people would probably be more receptive if she waited until the transition from the EU was complete.  When that happens, the people will be able to make a decision based on the deal that is negotiated and can go from there.

After the transition (I'm not saying this would or would not happen, just pointing it out), the PM of the UK in two years will very likely be in a very good position to deny a binding second referendum on Scottish Independence from even happening and suffer minimal political fallout because of it at that time...

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

After the transition (I'm not saying this would or would not happen, just pointing it out), the PM of the UK in two years will very likely be in a very good position to deny a binding second referendum on Scottish Independence from even happening and suffer minimal political fallout because of it at that time...

Why would anything be different?  While the Brexit vote temporarily increased support for independence, it has fallen back down to normal levels.  But, if the Scottish people think that the Brexit deal is a bad deal, then support for independence would probably increase.  This would put the SNP in a stringer position to ask for a referendum.  But, they are pretty weak right now when even the Scottish people don't want t referendum before the UK leaves the EU.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

Why would anything be different?  While the Brexit vote temporarily increased support for independence, it has fallen back down to normal levels.  But, if the Scottish people think that the Brexit deal is a bad deal, then support for independence would probably increase.  This would put the SNP in a stringer position to ask for a referendum.  But, they are pretty weak right now when even the Scottish people don't want t referendum before the UK leaves the EU.

David Cameron (despite no longer being PM - I don't even know if he still is a Member of Parliament) proclaimed in 2015 that the referendum that year was "the last such dealing with question this century" or "in our lifetimes" or some other such statement. If agitation isn't made while the iron is hot and the cards are not fully down, what's to stop the PM two years from now from defaulting to Cameron's words on the issue, especially as it will LIKELY be a Conservative PM at that point?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

David Cameron (despite no longer being PM - I don't even know if he still is a Member of Parliament) proclaimed in 2015 that the referendum that year was "the last such dealing with question this century" or "in our lifetimes" or some other such statement. If agitation isn't made while the iron is hot and the cards are not fully down, what's to stop the PM two years from now from defaulting to Cameron's words on the issue, especially as it will LIKELY be a Conservative PM at that point?

1) David Cameron doesn't have any power

2) Why would the PM hold a referendum right now when the people are against it?

18 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

It does, but a hard brexit will have negative effects for the UK. Let alone that there's a portion of the population that has buyers remorse. Then again, I'm your typical free trade liberal, so I'll back that party anyways. 

9 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It does, but a hard brexit will have negative effects for the UK. Let alone that there's a portion of the population that has buyers remorse. Then again, I'm your typical free trade liberal, so I'll back that party anyways. 

Polls show otherwise. Support for Brexit is in the 60s now which is the highest ever. Support for staying has dropped into the 20s

Jeremy Corbyn and Labour, and his vision for Labour is closest to my actual views.

Not touching any of them with a barge pole, I'm gonna draw something inappropriate on my ballot paper to scare the person counting the returns :P

I suppose I'd vote Labour, though Corbyn doesn't really seem to have the necessary fire in his belly.

The UK really has too many parties for first-past-the-post to produce democratic outcomes now. Some form of proportional representation would free up the hard-left and moderate Labour factions and the Europhile and Eurosceptic Tory factions to go their separate ways, and meanwhile whoever forms government would have to have the combined support of more than just 35-40% of the voters.

2 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

I suppose I'd vote Labour, though Corbyn doesn't really seem to have the necessary fire in his belly.

The UK really has too many parties for first-past-the-post to produce democratic outcomes now. Some form of proportional representation would free up the hard-left and moderate Labour factions and the Europhile and Eurosceptic Tory factions to go their separate ways, and meanwhile whoever forms government would have to have the combined support of more than just 35-40% of the voters.

This is the country that pretty much invented FPTP. They're not going to give it up without a fight, I don't imagine. It's unfortunate, but probably quite true.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

This is the country that pretty much invented FPTP. They're not going to give it up without a fight, I don't imagine. It's unfortunate, but probably quite true.

There have been attempts to reform the system by smaller parties such as UKIP, but the established parties don't want to weaken themselves (naturally).

Just now, jvikings1 said:

What do you think about the Tory manifesto?

centre right stuff littered with some rather radical pledges

a bit like the 2015 labour manifesto