270soft Forum
wolves

The Politicial Career of the 47th President, Donald J. Trump

2004 Presidental Election Pt. 2 - General Election- Buildup to 2005 Mayoral

20091020_jesse-venutura_33.jpg

Presidental Candidate Jesse Ventura talks to crowd at a rally in Los Angeles, California. September 2004.

In late September, Jesse Ventura was preparing for the first presidental debate. The first third party candidate in a debate since Ross Perot in 1992, a lot of media attention was focused on Ventura who seemed to be having a very successful run which was surprising since Trump's dissappointing return in 2000 gave the Reform Party nowhere to turn in 2004.

Trump was a popular mayor, allocating funds into helping families affected by 9/11 as well as improving the city's infrastructure, he often campaigned for Ventura and polls shown the Reform Party was more popular than the Republican Party in several boroughs of New York City.

On the night of the first debate, Ventura appeared at the Watsco Centre in his convoy and arrived last out of all the candidates. He had been preparing for the entire week and he was confident he'd do decently. He was debating two experienced orators, Gingrich and Gore. During the debate, Ventura was sweaty and constantly attacked by Gingrich, who called him a protest vote and nothing more than a spoiler.

TacCzhc.png

Post-debate polls shown that Ventura was slightly below Gore in terms of who was the most convincing, with Gingrich topping the bunch. Ventura and Gore both dropped down 0.4% in the polls afterwards. The most shocking poll taken after the debate shown that Ventura had made gains in his home state of Minnesota to the point where he could take the state, a first for the Reform Party. He was ahead in the state but it was a three way race between the Republicans, Democrats and the Reform Party.

54f221-20160301-trumpventura.jpg

Trump and Ventura meet before a rally in New Jersey. October 2004.

Donald Trump began to campaign permanently for Jesse Ventura in October just before the second debate. This gave Ventura a boost as the highest elected representive for his party and a popular mayor in a state where there was a huge population was campaigning for him. It was reported also that Trump and Ventura prepared for the debates together.

Ventura appeared in the second debate and had a great showing, insulting Gore for his mediocre response to the 9/11 attack and several other terrorist attacks that happened during his first term as well as criticising Gingrich for his opposition to Ventura's anti-establishment views. In the third debate, Ventura also was considered the most convincing candidate, showing his views on NAFTA as well as his views on what he labelled the "Washington sinkhole of corruption". (apologies I forgot to take a picture of the third debate, Ventura had 10, Gingrich 7 and Gore 2)

cpWtscb.png

Surprisingly after the debates, Ventura's support dropped in his homestate of Minnesota which was a huge disappointment to both him and the campaign as whole.

y0cdSew.png

Electoral Map four days before the election.

On November 1st, 2004, Ventura had his last campaign stop in New York City to a huge crowd of nearly five thousand people, record breaking for a third party candidate. Ventura then went to Trump Tower where he had sat four years ago to watch the returns in 2000. This time he was surrounded by many Reform Party officials from his time as Minnesota Governor and also with the biggest sponsor of his campaign, Mayor Donald Trump. Ventura had been plagued with a scandal that entire week related to his time as Minnesota Governor and he was scared he was going to fall short during his presidental bid due to this.

Early returns had Ventura at 20% of the vote until more of the vote began to trickle in eventually showing that the polls were accurate for Ventura's support and the scandal hadn't dogged him at all. The biggest disappointment though was that he lost Minnesota by only 100,000 votes.

DAA3sy7.png

Gingrich was projected to be the 44th President of the United States and liberal pundits analysed the information and realized that Ventura had actually been taking votes from Al Gore, the complete opposite of the year 2000. The Reform Party nearly gave California to the Republicans with Gore getting 40.1% of the vote and Gingrich 39%. The Reform Party had officially become a menace to both the Democrats and the Republicans.

My new York 2010 Governor includes Donald Trump so you can use that.

10 hours ago, victor1313 said:

are good story about Trump Pres and the fictionals to Mayor and Gubernatorial campaigns

Governor isn't yet :D We'll get to it eventually, that'll be the longest part I think because that'll be much closer

1 hour ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Could you upload a copy of your 2004 i would very much like to play that.

he's using the official version though I would like it if he uploaded his 2001 mayoral.

19 hours ago, victor1313 said:

you will update soon? or are updated?

It should be updated to include him.

@wolves I still love this and hope you update again soon but veeeeery minor thing: if Gore was the 43rd President, then Gingrich is 44 and was elected in '04. Assuming he's reelected in '08, then 45 will be elected in 2012. If he's not reelected, then 45 will be elected in 2008 and either reelected in 2012 or defeated. Thus Trump is either the 46th or 47th President of the United States, not 45 like the title says. Extremely pedantic, I know :P

Just now, Bruce Fischer said:

@wolves I still love this and hope you update again soon but veeeeery minor thing: if Gore was the 43rd President, then Gingrich is 44 and was elected in '04. Assuming he's reelected in '08, then 45 will be elected in 2012. If he's not reelected, then 45 will be elected in 2008 and either reelected in 2012 or defeated. Thus Trump is either the 46th or 47th President of the United States, not 45 like the title says. Extremely pedantic, I know :P

And you my friend, are right. I'm in the middle of actually writing the next post (which will be the NYC mayoral 2005 election).

I wasn't expecting Gore to lose, he actually led by a huge margin at the start and I didn't add events or anything to make Gore drop down so much. It sucks too because it's going to look really strange to possibly have Gingrich get ousted in 2008 and have a NEW president.

Just now, wolves said:

And you my friend, are right. I'm in the middle of actually writing the next post (which will be the NYC mayoral 2005 election).

I wasn't expecting Gore to lose, he actually led by a huge margin at the start and I didn't add events or anything to make Gore drop down so much. It sucks too because it's going to look really strange to possibly have Gingrich get ousted in 2008 and have a NEW president.

OK AWESOME KEEP WRITING

I think it'd be even weirder to have to explain away whoever gets elected in 2012 if Gingrich gets reelected. Either they lose the primaries in 2016 (pretty much unprecedented in modern US politics) or don't run for a second term (also almost unprecedented in modern US politics), or Bernie Sanders is elected in 2012 and is running for reelection in '16... Better for you if Gingrich loses in 08 and then whoever beats him gets reelected in 2012, then it's open on both sides in 2016 (aka how it was IRL)

Just now, Bruce Fischer said:

Better for you if Gingrich loses in 08 and then whoever beats him gets reelected in 2012, then it's open on both sides in 2016 (aka how it was IRL)

I'm going to play third party again in 2008 because I don't really want to intervene but Gingrich will most likely lose anyway now I think about it. Giving that I refuse to edit the big events like the 2008 banking crisis', Gingrich will most likely lose against Obama or Clinton (whoever is nominated) as soon as that event occurs.

But you are right, lol. Here's hoping this works the way I need it to otherwise 2012 may become a LOT more relevant to this story than I estimated.

10 minutes ago, wolves said:

I'm going to play third party again in 2008 because I don't really want to intervene but Gingrich will most likely lose anyway now I think about it. Giving that I refuse to edit the big events like the 2008 banking crisis', Gingrich will most likely lose against Obama or Clinton (whoever is nominated) as soon as that event occurs.

But you are right, lol. Here's hoping this works the way I need it to otherwise 2012 may become a LOT more relevant to this story than I estimated.

However it works out, I'm sure you'll make it interesting. :)

2005 New York City Mayoral Election Pt. 1 - Backstory

dims.jpg

Mayor of New York City, Donald J. Trump walks out of meeting with real estate developers. December 2002.

Donald John Trump, real estate developer, businessman, presidental candidate and now mayor. He entered the Gracie Mansion after a confusing but successful run for the office and now he had real work to do. New York City had been hit by a horrific terrorist attack just before he had taken office and he was determined to follow up on his campaign promises to deal with the situation best as possible. In an interview as soon as 9/11 happened, Trump had promised he was going to allocate $15 billion in funds into accelerating the cleanup operation as well as fixing the site and he began working on this straight away. (sidenote, I'm referencing a real interview I found while making the 2001 mayoral)

During the planning for allocating this funds, Trump and his advisors began their work on another key campaign promise, infrastructure. Trump wanted to use up to $20 billion on infrastructure which included fixing and cleaning up the subway, maintaining roads and most importantly, building schools and hospitals that were desperately needed due to the large rise in population. 

Trump also had a strict stance on terrorism, often speaking in support of Republicans lobbying for an invasion of taliban held Afghanistan to find Osama Bin Laden. Republicans had control of the house but not the senate which was 50-50 with Vice President Lieberman often breaking the tie. Under the advice of former mayor, Rudy Giuliani, Trump appointed Raymond Kelly to be his commissioner. Kelly began to change the NYPD into focusing on counter-terrorism, beginning to put more and more men into working on terrorism as well as working with the CIA.

By late 2002, Mayor Trump had created a huge deficit, expanding on the one he was left with. Reluctant initially, he eventually introduced a very unpopular $4 billion tax to help pay for the infrastructure plan he was currently drafting aswell as the situation surrounding the twin towers.

drumpfy.png

Mayor Trump's approval ratings, intially starting at his run in 2001, when the tax was added, there was a surge for the disapproval until President Gore's authoritization of the Afghanistan War in late 2003.

By mid-2003, the tax had begun to claw back at the deficit. The infrastructure plan had been prepared but Mayor Trump refused to start it until a surplus had been created. Trump's main campaign promises around terrorism had been getting fulfilled but everything else wasn't. In an interview with CNN, Mayor Trump said "I want my first term to be about securing this city and making it safer for it's people, big, big promise, but we can do it" and when asked about his promises around infrastructure and development, Mayor Trump put forward the remark "That's for the second time round".

Projections shown that a surplus would be in place by 2005-2006. Mayor Trump's disapprovals had steadied as he announced a $5 billion plan to make housing more affordable which was recieved postively in both the media and with the general public. Trump's approvals then began to shoot upwards after President Gore announced an invasion into Taliban-led Afghanistan in 2003 but refused to touch Iraq as Republicans wanted. The invasion had bipartisan support after another terrorist attack in Los Angeles which Al Qaeda took responsibility for. Mayor Trump said in response to this attack "Just horrible, we need to thank commissioner Kelly, without him, I know the terrorists would have attacked this city again but now the NYPD has the ability to stop these horrible, horrible people".

02firstdraft-trumpisrael-tmagArticle.jpg

Mayor Donald Trump marching in support for Israel, July 2004.

By 2004, Donald Trump's approvals had hit a sky high but began to recede again after the announcement of him cutting several services in order to help with the deficit. Trump began to scale back on his promise to not cut spending and also on not pushing taxes up. 2004 was a slow year for Trump and there wasn't much done other than watching his approvals drop slightly every week. In December 2004, Trump declared that after the 2005 election, he was definitely going to put forward the plan on infrastructure that had been murmured around by officials in New York City for a year now. Trump announced he was formally going to start his campaign in March, getting a headstart on the Republican and Democratic nominees.

Polls taken in March shown that Trump was ahead of both the Republican and Democratic candidate but only by a slim majority. There was no one running for the Republican or Democratic nomination yet so this could change rapidly depending on who declares. There were rumors in the media that Steve Forbes was thinking about running for the Republican nomination after unsuccessful presidental runs in 1996 and 2000 and on the democratic side, there were rumors that Representive Anthony Weiner was thinking about running.

xfh286G.png

15 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

However it works out, I'm sure you'll make it interesting. :)

I got it figured all out, don't worry.

2005 New York City Mayoral Election Pt. 2 - Primaries

Donald-and-Melania-Trump-wed-in-Florida-on-January-22-2005.jpg.109d89d12a76e10e852dde58fdb81ff9.jpg

Mayor of New York City, Donald Trump and wife Melania Trump during their wedding. January 2005.

Donald Trump announced in March that his campaign started, hitting his mayoral duties like a metal baseball bat. He would regularly do events like attending parades and campaigning around colleges and small parks in populus neighbourhoods. Shortly afterwards, Representive Anthony Weiner announced that he was planning to run on the Democratic side for Mayor of New York, citing Trump's ridiculous authoritian policies including stop-and-frisk and also Trump's lack of "getting anything" done. A week after that, retired represnetive Joesph J. DioGuardi announced he was going to run for Mayor, marking a return to politics.

130523_weiner_nycmayor_ap_328.jpg.ef5a29ac70a118dab29139320e0066f1.jpg

Rep. Weiner during the announcement that hes running for mayor. March 2005.

Weiner's announcement didn't stunt Trump's lead in the polls even though he was well known in New York City. On March 22nd, Steve Forbes announced his candidacy for Mayor of New York City after months of speculation, apparently being inspired by Trump's first term as well as his friend Michael Bloomberg encouraging him, Forbes decided to throw his hat into the ring. Polls released after the announcement shown that the Republican Party had overtaken Trump as well as the generic democrat candidate gaining by nearly 3%. The following day, Borough President, Fernando Ferrer announced he was going to run.

iiygc9z.png.83ccad8ffa23ddb8d6165e7c870c821d.pngpTW3pY1.png.ad1d0bdb352e2bdc70db837dde0de9ef.pngm1yoUJG.png.680a2396e50c4791c537fae0fcff6f93.png

Mayoral Election polling on 22nd March followed by the polling for the Democratic and Republican primaries.

Trump had months left but the race looked competitive early on, more and more volunteers turned out to help but it was still early days. Trump campaigners doorknocked daily and constantly phone banked as well delivering leaflets. By early march, some information surrounding the Republican Party of New York and shady business dealings were reported, which stagnated its part in the polls and a lot of Forbes original supporters began to defect to Trump, giving him a stable lead.

NA66CMP.png.78c9c1c4dfcfc43cee9a5e65a16e9052.png

As June started, Trump had taken a boost in the polls, taking support from democrats due to their fragmented race. Trump's wife Melania also announced she was pregnant which gathered a lot of positive publicity around Mayor Trump.  Meanwhile, the democrats primary was taking an interesting turn, Ferrer had several small scandals come out that undermined his campaign and Weiner took a large lead while on the Republican side, Forbes lead only extended with him looking certain to contest Trump in the general election.

V6Hkt94.png.690d0b7efa610f546d2ca9c68f7b1e59.pngrnOtBfb.png.eaec971c2be75e5b1f6a63be0c24071b.pngcDIIHsk.png.a5442fdf23d21a6f1a4b8fc7d6ae13f9.png

On the day of the primary, Trump was polling at 42.7% with the generic Republican candidate at 29.3% and the generic Democratic candidate at 11.6%. The low polling numbers of the democratic candidate surprised many pundits but it was expected to improve as the general starts. Weiner and Forbes were guaranteed to win their respective primaries and had been included majority in hypothetically polling for the general election. As the returns began coming in, no one was surprised as Weiner won 70.4% of the vote and Forbes won 75.3% of the vote.

Hk2mLaz.png.df83b212e620536036f3b28e0e40c1ac.png10iop7W.png.7a08254b223a6aaf68c63fe8bb95bfea.png

It was official, Representive Anthony Weiner who had a long mountain to climb would represent the Democrats and businessman Steve Forbes would represent the Republicans.

2005 New York City Mayoral Election Pt. 2 - General

giuliani-trump-2.thumb.jpg.b18004f95677c60c3293489565c91c24.jpg

Mayor Giuliani and Donald Trump in 2005 after Giuliani's endorsement of Trump.

It was no surprise to anyone that Giuliani preferred Trump over Forbes. Trump and Giuliani talked throughout Trump's first term and Giuliani advised Trump on numerous policy decisions including the appointment of Ray Kelly to commissioner. Trump's inexperience when it came to governing was a huddle that Giuliani helped him get over slowly but effectively. Trump's support dropped throughout August and eventually sunk below Weiners' democrats in September. The race had become competitive again but victory was still in sight for Trump. He had more money to pump into his campaign this time round and he wasn't going to waste it. Trump had also called Giuliani who had decided to endorse Trump after months of saying he'd stay out of the race. The Democrats and Republicans were hoping the infinitely popular Giuliani wasn't going to endorse Trump as it'd begin to tilt the race in Trump's favor but it unfortunately happened to their dismay.

0JKgeGq.png.4635faa8ae3f517f37d39633dc5d5dfa.pngq5xoPWj.png.ffaa54754aee0f1a975edd559029ca34.png

Polling averages before and after Giuliani endorsement

Polls kept steady with the first debate coming the following week, Trump had been preparing the entire week, cancelling most campaign events and spending his time practicing his debate skills with advisors, running mock debates and trying to improve his ability. By the time the debate came, Trump was the first to arrive, in his mayoral convoy and security surrounding him as he walked into the building, he looked composed. Trump won the debate, or so the media said, overwhelmingly too. He was strong on security and also on infrastructure and revitalization as it had been his forte for the past four years.

By October, Trump had a steady lead in the polls and was expected to clinch victory, his opponents were below 25% each and Trump was above 30%. Pundits said that Trump ran a good campaign, allocating money well aswell as using his family situation to his advantage but pundits also said Trump was skewing of statistics like the NYC deficit as well as the amount of criminals arrested and trying to manipulate people "like a demagogue" (as a journalist at the New York Times put it). Trump was able to convince his supporters that the media hate of him has been "there for decades, ever since the 70s" and at rallies held up newspaper clippings showing slanderous headlines written about him in the 1980s.

The last debate before the election had Trump at his best and his poll numbers continued to rise as did his approval ratings. Trump's campaign in 2005 was an improvement over the horrible showing in 2001 and 2000. Polls the day before the election had shown Trump winning by a large margin.

0Wp8mIh.png.db97c62ae3a8a4a04923faef0b2a3dea.pngTzgpE3t.png.7d1bec620e82c0f31e6e48036a8f13b0.png

The final debate results as well as the political landscape a day before the results.

Trump was considered a shoo in for reelection. Exit polls announced at 10pm EST shown Donald Trump winning 35% of the vote. As the returns began to be counted, it was obvious Trump had far succeeded that. Live reporting by numerous local news stations estimated that Trump was to earn 45% of the vote and no more, something unexpected for a three-way race like this.

kOnWYJM.png.8434785bd6ec6562c332d7b6401ddf80.png

Mayor Donald J. Trump of New York City had won 53.5% of the vote, overperforming in Staten Island and Manhattan. Trump's victory speech afterwards was littered with American flags being waved and cheering of Trump's name. "The people of New York have picked the right choice" rung from Trump's mouth before he walked off the stage.

Edited by wolves
fixed numerous grammar mistakes made when I was tired writing this originally lol

Currently the plan is to release a post on the play-by-play a day. (May miss it today due to work)

2008 Presidental Election Pt. 1 - Primaries - Buildup to the 2010 Gubernational

ObamaIowaWinWinMcNamee-56a9ac045f9b58b7d0fdd980.thumb.jpg.a246bc255166537c51353d5f008ca39d.jpg

Barack Obama campaigning in Iowa in 2008 during the Democratic Party Primaries

Hillary Clinton had announced her campaign before anyone else and was instantly considered the frontrunner, experienced and well known among Americans, she was a household name and well liked. When more people began to announce including Senator Biden from Delaware, 2004 Vice Presidental Candidate, John Edwards and up and coming Illnois Senator, Barack Obama, the field began to grow more crowded. No Reform party candidate came forward with New York Mayor Donald Trump refusing to run, Jesse Ventura being in political exile since his loss in 2004, no one else notable within the party wanted to touch the nomination. By early September 2007, John Hagelin, notorious within the right of the Reform Party and praised in the left announced his decision to run. Hagelin's campaign was endorsed by the Reform Party chairman, Harold H. Bloomfield, formerly a Natural Law Party candidate who had been pushed into the leadership of the Reform Party by the "Hagelin wing" of the party. Many right wingers in the Reform Party shared their discontent with Hagelin and the lack of a right wing opposition. Polling after his announcement, more Reform Party members supposedly supported Gingrich's campaign more than Hagelin. Meanwhile, Barack Obama on the democratic side had been rallying a lot of support to his cause and by November 1st, he had reached 15.2% in the polls and was rapidly gaining.

cQgRgpY.png.988a68951e23d0c6a49803b7c1dd48a2.pngxpY6KFK.png.6f10e8ff491d0a83a155b912b10cb22e.png

Democratic Party primary polling average and General Election polling average by November 1st, 2007.

Gingrich wasn't an unpopular president but that doesn't mean he was popular, he reversed some of President Gore's tax hikes and began stricter intervention into the Middle East but refused to enter Iraq, saying "The time for intervening in Iraq has passed" though after a coup against President Saddam Hussein, Gingrich provided help to a factured Iraq. Gingrich was not good at campaigning though, he won in 2004 due to exploiting President Gore's poor policy when it came to terrorism and got lucky with a rising Reform Party stealing votes from Gore. By the end of November, The Republicans were down by 10% in the polls with Senator Obama as the democratic nominee becoming an increasing reality after strong showings in the debates.

htyeViu.png.d562e2b8f037c31b3b4bc41e40b38c26.png

In Iowa and New Hampshire, Obama and Clinton were below 10% in the polls which didn't relate the national average, Mark Warner was polling ahead in both states and had been slowly rising ever since his announcement in November. Pundits said that Warner may be able to get a boost from his showing in both these races and put himself into third place which was currently occupied by John Edwards. On the night of the Iowa caucus, Obama and Clinton appeared to be losing straight away and the same happened for the New Hampshire primary, for both of these contests, two dark horses won.

15DaV4M.png.2663108c2631e4d43a95788e3e03a23e.pngt0btWoO.png.d1c8241a7232b9b6d6004f81357ea734.png

Results for the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries.

As the race continued, the democratic field became more splintered with other candidates gaining ground on Clinton and Obama at a faster and faster pace. When Super Tuesday came around, Clinton walked away with the most delegates, winning in places like California by large, unprecendented margins that weren't reflected in the polling at all.

O4rTx1U.png.ae163fec463c70fa432f078573faa8db.png

Current delegate count after Super Tuesday.

As the race continued, it looked more and more like it was going to be a contested convention on the democratic side, meanwhile, Gingrich had been able to turn his luck around and overtake the generic democratic nominee when it came to general election polling when nearly 6 months ago, he was 10% behind in the polls. Gingrich had been proposing what he called "Another four strong years" and considering he was backed by a party that had a majority in the senate and the house, it was looking that way.

vjuJQps.png.71ac9de0fcbc7052dd9921155176a723.pngkZqvK1j.png.9bf6b25b2c36305efd790ba48c2620f8.png

Current general election polling average

By May, the general election polling continued to fluctuate while on the democratic side, it was officially confirmed that there would be a contested convention as it was mathematically impossible for anyone to reach a majority. For months afterwards, people kept speculating on who would give their delegates to whom. Barack Obama was likable but he had attacked many of the candidates on his rise upwards, as had Senator Clinton. In August, the democratic convention finally came along and considering no one had a majority of delegates, all eyes were glued on who would be able to get the most delegates at the convention.

Round 1 Results: Evan Bayh's 20 delegates go to Clark

hSPqHEu.png.5229685efcce3acca4d70e79a3b39b49.png

Round 2 Results: Bill Richardson's 28 delegates go to Clark

xARRmPO.png.90e749efead9fe1f98d321fd86b51e99.png

Round 3 Results: Tom Vilsack's 82 delegates go to Biden

x6saCvX.png.05eb0b475e0805fbe705d7f65f136846.png

Round 4 Results: Chris Dodd's 143 delegates go to Biden

J22DgL3.png.7e2cb7a5e60d77c491d01a943d0f9210.png

Round 5 Results: John Edwards' 184 delegates go to Biden

Fnta6ml.png.28c732116903a8cf039584b9834e7fc1.png

Round 6 Results: Mark Warner's 339 delegates go to Wesley Clark

sU9ixzY.png.5fc9893645dfbec03bea8b464f5cb2a2.png

Right now it was obvious Biden was going to be knocked out, his endorsement meant a lot as either Obama or Clinton had even been touched by another delegate so far.

Round 7 Results: Joe Biden's 615 delegates go to Barack Obama

fu758Zw.png.34a2cb17fdfbb2a6cdf20b37ee6e7bd0.png

At that point, it was obvious that Clark's endorsement of either candidate was going to result in the end of the convention. Clinton, the frontrunner for almost two years had nearly been usurped by the young senator Barack Obama, but who was going to walk away the nominee and possibly the future president of the united states

Round 8 Results: Wesley Clark's 720 delegates

go

to...

Barack Obama!

fJF1Ngp.png.88694e05d600508a27613c3f20f94b6f.png

Obama thanked all the delegates that came to him, he also thanked Clinton for such a close race and Clark for his final endorsement. Shortly after the DNC, Sam Nunn, the senator from Georgia was chosen by Obama to be his running mate. The polling stood almost even in the general election, showing this may be one of the closest elections in a long time.

gty_barack_obama_dnc_dm_120117_wg.jpg.0a91c5c0d5f5d6917a66c6e956a357d6.jpg

As I said this isn't dead, but it takes a lot of effort to actually write these posts and play the game effectively, though we're getting closer to the ending now.

2008 Presidental Election Pt. 2 - General - Buildup to the 2010 Gubernational

campaign_2016-fox-gingrich.thumb.jpeg.871d8cb08a2255dd1e7adfe549afb9d1.jpeg

President New Gingrich talks to a crowd in his native state of Georgia, September 2008.

As soon as the general election campaign kicked into action, it was apparent that this was a close election. Gingrich had a been a lame duck of a president, doing nothing but reversing what Gore had put forward and maybe adding one or two tax cuts when he felt like it. His entire forte was foreign policy for his entire term had been ripe with assisting the Middle East. Barack Obama was one of the biggest critics of the Gingrich's adminstration and it's stance on the Middle East, Obama saying it was "close to expansionism" in relation to the small but increasing about of soldiers that Gingrich was trying to stack into the fractured Iraqi state.

Obama seeked to make the Gingrich admin's foreign policy decisions a key campaign point, Obama faced criticism over his inexperience with critics like Glenn Beck saying that he doesn't "know what its like to actually be in government" and the NYT stating it was ironic for Obama to feel like he knows what running a government is like. Obama was able to shake off the accusations of inexperience through brilliant campaigning and an optimistic campaign slogan "Change we can believe in" which Gingrich mocked endlessly, saying "What change?".

In mid-september during the mortage crisis, Gingrich signed in motion the federal takeout of Fannie Mac and Freddie Mac. Critics said that this was foolish to do during campaign season and "just gave Obama more ammo". Bill Frist, the current VP (though not the candidate due to his own request) defended Gingrich on his decision while the VP candidate, young congressman Paul Ryan from Wisconsin stayed silent to the dismay of Gingrich and the rest of the GOP.

John Hagelin, the Reform Party candidate was a breath of fresh air to both the GOP and the DNC. The electorates lack of interest in the Reform Party candidate helped the two main parties gain a foothold with the independent voters and soft conservatives/soft liberals who often fled to the Reform Party in all elections since 1992. Washington Post released an opinion piece in September of 2008 titled "The Death of the Reform Party?" where it talks about Donald Trump's reluctance to endorse John Hagelin and the fact that Reform Party members didn't even like John Hagelin OR Trump (who at the time had low approval ratings due to the mortage crisis).

obama2008-2.thumb.jpg.2433c9d58518d0baaad73d8cd2865b84.jpg

Senator Barack Obama of Illnois talks at a campaign rally in Daytona, Ohio. September 2008.

The first presidental debate was upcoming and Gingrich had work cut out for him, could a President facing as much and being tested as hard as he was defend such a poor record in public? This was his time to try to defend his adminstration's recent decisions to the population and then hope they listened. For Obama, it was his time to start showing the American people why his platform was the one for change. Gingrich arrived at the debate and was looked very nervous next to a calm and collected Obama who later on won the debate. The following few days, the house rejected the bailout plan in reaction to the mortage crisis that was put forward to them, damaging Gingrich further who was already behind in the polls.

V9IGOV6.png.e51efcacd924a04012020340b3e19980.png

Polling average. October 3rd 2008.

Barack Obama was ahead. Compared to 2004, it looked like the tables had turned and the young senator from Illnois appeared to be winning overwhelmingly. Mayor Donald Trump eventually gave out in support of Gingrich, saying "Newt's had a hard time, hes handled it well considering how tried he has been this past year" and shortly afterwards, 2004 Reform Party candidate Jesse Ventura came out in support of Barack Obama. The Reform Party, a beacon of centrism for nearly ten years, was split.

The second debate came and Obama was considered the most convincing candidate by an even bigger margin than before. Few days after the second debate, the bailout bill finally passed through the house, though the DOW Jones dropped over 500 points the following day. Gingrich lost once again at the third debate. By late October, there were reports that people in the Gingrich campaign had lost hope.

Five days before the election and the Gingrich campaign's only response to questions on if they can win was "We're hoping the polls are wrong". The Obama campaign was optimistic and upbeat and the Gingrich campaign was simply "More of the same". The American people had been hit with economic troubles even the government couldn't handle, Obama looked like a fresh change. The day of the election, VP nominee Paul Ryan went to cast his ballot and was asked if he was confident of a Gingrich victory, his response was "I'm going to hope the polls are wrong"

The Gingrich HQ sat watching the returns, as did the Obama HQ. The party was constantly upbeat for one and sober for another. Florida, was constantly down to the wire though due to a lower turnout in the city, Gingrich won the state after a strong showing in the panhandle. Ohio was close too, 2% above for Obama, then 0.2% for Gingrich, then up again for Obama. CNN kept both presidental nominees on their toes then at 10:04pm, Ohio was called for Newt Gingrich. A smile came onto the President's face with Obama's growing more and more pessimistic. "We can now call Pennslyvania for Newt Gingrich" CNN declared as a small bar filled with Gingrich supporters in a town in West Pennslyvania cheered. Obama was constantly ahead in the popular vote though, the analyists would constantly point out. At 12:30am, Barack Obama called President Gingrich to concede, seeing no possible way he could achieve the presidency.

Gingrich walked out for his victory speech, thanking Obama for a rough battle and also saying there was a tough road ahead but the American people had seen who the better choice was.

81mAOtB.png.f0f466c96d5a8d3e6d077c3a8180fc8a.png

The irony was, the American people had chosen Senator Obama.

(The real reason Obama got the popular vote was that there was a weird situation where after so many Dem candidates were campaigning in Michigan for the primaries, the GOP dropped to like 18% in the state, Reform nearly overtook them at one point lol. Same happened in South Carolina and Nevada.)

2010 Gubernational Election Pt. 1 - Background

TrumpTrump-998x665.jpg.e7b274a5cbfdbf0ee31a18a1457a912a.jpg

Mayor Donald J. Trump, once considered a model for a U.S mayor has become hated by the same people who once loved him.

Donald J. Trump stares out of the window, looking at the beautiful landscape around the Gracie Mansion, a once popular mayor who won reelection by an overwhelming margin, the recession and his inability to handle it, sent his approvals tumbling. Trump's second term has been littered with scandals and failures, Trump's infrastructure plan, once considered the most foolproof one to be tried out on a local level, failed as significant partners pulled out after only six months and Trump had to scramble to find backers, postponing the plan by nearly a year. His deputy mayor was implicated in a scandal where he had taken bribes and following it ensued an investigation into Trump which turned out to be fruitless but still damaged his intergity. Trump's attempts to reform the electoral system in New York City to allow himself to run for a third term, citing the 2008 recession as a reason turned out to fail after a popular referendum shown 52.8% of voters opposed it. It looked like nothing had gone right for Mayor Trump.

In 2007, Trump was considered to be running for President under the Reform Party banner and several polls taken with him, Hillary Clinton and Newt Gingrich put Trump from 18% to 25% which was unprecedented for a third party candidate. Reports came out in late 2006 that Trump was considering a run for senate in 2010 against Schumer and a single poll taken by the MorningConsult put Trump at 52% to Schumers 48% (guaranteed there was no Republican in the race). Democrats let out a sigh of relief after Trump announced he was not going to run for senate in 2010, stating "I wouldn't have the time, after politics, I want to go back to my old life." These polls were taken when Trump was popular in New York and definitely wouldn't reflect how people would have voted if Trump had decided to run in either of these elections.

bloomy.thumb.jpg.e84c6dc3ddaaed3645c0041397ce554a.jpg

Mayoral candidate Michael Bloomberg speaking during a rally in Queens, 2009.

Trump had tried numerous times to try to extend his time as mayor and they all failed. In 2009 when the mayoral election began, Trump clearly favored Bloomberg, who he often saw as his successor despite a nasty campaign in 2001. Trump refused to come out in support of Bloomberg who was running as an independent but shut down any attempts of Reform Party candidates running in the election, stating "Bloomberg should get our support, we shouldn't shatter his chances". After Bloomberg's candidacy was endorsed by both Senator Schumer and former Presidental nominee Hillary Clinton, Trump came out in support of Bloomberg and encouraged his independent candidacy to be backed by the Reform Party which it eventually was. Bloomberg won easily against New York City Councillor Bill De Blasio in a margin that was totally unexpectedObvCGgZ.png.3b01494615eedcbb73c1f47659f3d43b.png.

Shortly after the 2009 mayoral election, New York Times reported that Trump supposedly was scared to go back to his previous life as a businessman with an anonymous source saying "He kept asking his advisors if he should run for governor in 2010 before telling himself it was a stupid idea, he did this several times". The report was widely shared until Trump shut it down saying it was nothing but speculation and simple talk that had no real substance to it. The report inspired Rudy Giuliani, considered the front runner for the 2010 New York Gubernational to travel to Trump Tower and meet with Trump where they talked for nearly an hour before Giuliani quickly left the building. A week later, Trump had announced that under the electoral fusion laws in New York State, he was going to run on a Reform Party-Republican Party ticket and Giuliani endorsed him shortly afterwards before withdrawing from the race.

Trump was facing moderate Rick Lazio and conservative Carl Paladino in the race, both criticised Trump due to his failings as Mayor and also for what they called a "switch of party". There were reports that New York Democrats never expected this and one even said it was "political mastery" by Giuliani to try to bring such an influential figure into the race.

One thing was certain though, the New York governor race just got a lot more interesting.

gettyimages-501657346.thumb.jpg.787ae7b6535d5fb99492f8fec80fe4fb.jpg

Trump arriving for his first campaign rally of the gubernational campaign in Syracuse. 2010.

2010 Gubernational Election Pt. 2 - Primaries

PZpBUBE.png.081fb498b014bfbd96b221948aabaa14.png

Trump leaving the stage after his first campaign rally in Syracuse. 2010.

Trump's entry into the primary rocked the Republican contest, Rick Lazio, the former congressman from Nassau was leading after Giuliani's withdrawl and before Trump jumped in. Rick Lazio said he felt "conned" by Giuliani and compared it to a "robbery". Paladino declined to comment on Trump's entry on the race but called Lazio's comments immature. Polling shown Trump ahead in every single country and trumping the vote though he was still behind in general election polling.

5RWVFqp.png.26a99d555def1dd47d9616a0cbbe53ee.pngfciDNSx.png.6d0ff30543b1c331d095e756508cdd82.png

Trump continued to gain and gain when it came to the Republican primaries. It got to the point where the mayor reached 60% in the polls and started to strictly campaign for votes in the general election. Trump was considered savvy, good at bringing people to his side and excellent at exploiting the flaws of his opponents. Talking to a crowd at a rally, he'd always reference Elliot Spitzer's scandal with prostitutes and associate it with Andrew Cuomo. Trump campaigned like he always campaigned, populistic.

Trump was able to close the gap with Cuomo, going from 25.5% in the polls to 37.8% in the space of 2 months. Three days before the primaries, a scandal broke out in Gov Paterson's campaign where he alledgedly allowed personal friends to commit tax evasion. This began an investigation by the authorities and once again, gave Trump something else to talk about in terms of corruption. Cuomo wasn't affected by this but pundits definitely agreed that this would help Trump in the long run.

3dRXW80.png.baee31de2b9bf7d01d18f8b52461aa85.png

CNN officially reported that Andrew Cuomo won the Democratic nomination for the Governor of New York. Donald Trump also won in his race by an overwhelming 71%. After Trump took the nomination, he got a boost in the polls, actually overtaking Cuomo to the dismay of the Democratic Party of New York.

458125054.jpg.47b1bfe3161181e618e141193ec99968.jpg

Cuomo vs Trump was confirmed at this point, the real question was, can Trump overcome the Democratic advantage?

11 minutes ago, wolves said:

2010 Gubernational Election Pt. 2 - Primaries

PZpBUBE.png.081fb498b014bfbd96b221948aabaa14.png

Trump leaving the stage after his first campaign rally in Syracuse. 2010.

Trump's entry into the primary rocked the Republican contest, Rick Lazio, the former congressman from Nassau was leading after Giuliani's withdrawl and before Trump jumped in. Rick Lazio said he felt "conned" by Giuliani and compared it to a "robbery". Paladino declined to comment on Trump's entry on the race but called Lazio's comments immature. Polling shown Trump ahead in every single country and trumping the vote though he was still behind in general election polling.

5RWVFqp.png.26a99d555def1dd47d9616a0cbbe53ee.pngfciDNSx.png.6d0ff30543b1c331d095e756508cdd82.png

Trump continued to gain and gain when it came to the Republican primaries. It got to the point where the mayor reached 60% in the polls and started to strictly campaign for votes in the general election. Trump was considered savvy, good at bringing people to his side and excellent at exploiting the flaws of his opponents. Talking to a crowd at a rally, he'd always reference Elliot Spitzer's scandal with prostitutes and associate it with Andrew Cuomo. Trump campaigned like he always campaigned, populistic.

Trump was able to close the gap with Cuomo, going from 25.5% in the polls to 37.8% in the space of 2 months. Three days before the primaries, a scandal broke out in Gov Paterson's campaign where he alledgedly allowed personal friends to commit tax evasion. This began an investigation by the authorities and once again, gave Trump something else to talk about in terms of corruption. Cuomo wasn't affected by this but pundits definitely agreed that this would help Trump in the long run.

3dRXW80.png.baee31de2b9bf7d01d18f8b52461aa85.png

CNN officially reported that Andrew Cuomo won the Democratic nomination for the Governor of New York. Donald Trump also won in his race by an overwhelming 71%. After Trump took the nomination, he got a boost in the polls, actually overtaking Cuomo to the dismay of the Democratic Party of New York.

458125054.jpg.47b1bfe3161181e618e141193ec99968.jpg

Cuomo vs Trump was confirmed at this point, the real question was, can Trump overcome the Democratic advantage?

continue to the general election today.