270soft Forum
wolves

The Politicial Career of the 47th President, Donald J. Trump

The Political Career of the 47th President, Donald J. Trump - An Alternative History

On the 9th of November 2016, the world watched as Donald J. Trump officially became the President Elect, beating Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont with 340 electoral votes and 49.5% of the popular vote, trumping his competition who was often seen the victor in this close race.

cWuywzE.png

Donald Trump, often catergorized as a populist during the campaign was helped by scandals surrounding the Sanders campaign in November, most namely the FBI investigation around his wife and allegations of fraud. Both senior Republicans and Democrats refused to endorse their respective candidates with GOP politicians eventually deciding to endorse Trump when he chose Michael R. Pence as his Vice President. Sanders was never able to motivate the minorities within the democratic party after a lackluster endorsement from President Obama and many third way Democrats pulling endorsements from Sanders after the scandal surrounding his wife.

universe.jpg

Businessman Donald J. Trump talks about 9/11 during the 2001 Mayoral Election campaign.

Donald Trump, often considered a centrist during the last 20 years rapidly moved right at the start of the campaign. Trump, a heavyweight in New York for decades was first elected to political office in 2001 where he unexpectedly soured to the office of Mayor of New York City, beating Republican Michael Bloomberg and Democrat, Mark J. Green. He first declared he was going to run a few months after his failed run for President in 2000 under the Reform Party label. In January 2001, Donald Trump was being interviewed by the New Yorker when he said in response to a question asking his opinion on Mayor Giuliani, "I like Mayor Giuliani, we get along well, really well and trust me, I have known many mayors and they're not all nice. I think I'd do a better job though". The following week he called a press conference and declared his candidacy for the Mayor of New York, running as a Reform Party candidate.

Trump's candidacy was seen as a dark horse, Trump constantly trailed between 15%-20% in the polls. Bloomberg criticised Trump frequently, saying he was giving Green the mayorship and he wasn't prepared to be mayor. Trump's campaign caught momentum after the September, 11th attacks where in response, Trump adapted a hard-line on immigration, criticising the Gore adminstration constantly and insulting the other candidates for being too "scared" to say anything. On the day of the vote, Trump shockingly won despite polls saying otherwise.

ap_01043002828-e1453923569114.jpg

Mayor Donald Trump and his wife Melania talking to businessman Michael Bloomberg

After a successful 8 years as mayor of New York City, Trump announced he was endorsing Michael Bloomberg who had decided to run once again. While Bloomberg won overwhelmingly as an independent, the New York Times reported that Trump had supposedly told several people he had thought about running for governor in the last few years but never thought he'd win as a Reform Party candidate due to the sudden drop off of Reform Party support in the 2008 Presidental Election. A poll released later on that month shown that Trump would be able to overtake the Republican candidate by only a few percentage points if he chose to run but it would still be a lost cause with a generic democratic candidate winning over 50% of the vote.

static.politico.com.jpg

Image of President Bill Clinton,  Rudy Giuliani and Mayor Donald J. Trump in 2008.

After months of speculation with new information coming out all the time, Fox News reported that Rudy Giuliani had been able to convince Trump to run as a Republican candidate under the exception that he'd also run as a Reform candidate under New York's electoral fusion laws. A poll the following week suggested that Trump and the leading Democrat, Andrew Cuomo were neck and neck, something the Democrats didn't expect to happen. Trump went on to become the governor of New York.

Trump's governorship was slated to be a failure by many pundits in the media, many saying that he "winged it" during his time as Mayor, using the 9/11 attacks to his advantage at the start of his mayorship and capitalizing on a stable economy to bolster his reelection chances in 2005. Trump's time as governor is rated as one of the best by New York residents when polled, allowing gay marriage within the state of New York and giving subsidies to companies wanting to flee the state, which used up a chunk of the state's budget were both wildly popular and are what people identify the Trump governorship with.

06TRUMPGOV2-master768.jpg

Governor Trump talks to crowd during his 2014 reelection bid.

Trump won reelection in 2014 and a year later announced in the Governor's residence that he would be running for President of the United States as a Republican candidate instead of Reform party candidate stating "The Reform Party killed itself after Jesse Ventura in 2004, I've represented the party for many, many years but I want to win this election and not finish in third place like in 2000".

(Just thought I'd add in some imaginative writing, I'm not the best but I tried :P I've pre-prepared the scenarios and I'm going to enact this alternative history I've laid out here in PI.)

State of Washington during Donald J. Trump's political career

Key: Republican, Democrat, Independent

43rd President: Al Gore (2000-2004)          VP: Joe Lieberman (2000-2004)

44rd President: Newt Gingrich (2004-Present)                    VP: Bill Frist (2004-2008)

VP: Paul Ryan (2008-Present)

House:

Republican (1994-Present)

Democrat (2010-Present)

Senate:

Democrat (2000-2002)

Republican (2002-Present)

Democrat (2010-Present)

2000 Presidental Election

trump-2000.jpg

Gov. Jesse Ventura and Donald Trump after Trump announces hes going to run

The Reform Party, founded by Ross Perot looked certain to be doomed in 2000. It's only elected representive, Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura wanted to live out the rest of his term as governor and refused to run. He had plans to run in 2004 but even he didn't want the Reform Party to fall under its fragile support, Ross Perot was wildly supported and was a credible opposition to the two party system but if the Reform Party elected someone who'd fail to maintain the support, Ventura would have no leg to stand on in 2004. Ventura and his supporters ran around in their head who they could find to fill Perot's shoes until the answer was easy to see. Billionaire Donald Trump. Ventura and his supporters began to encourage businessman Donald Trump to run. Trump was an american icon for business, a staple of the American dream and was a classic celebrity that everyone knew. He was perfect to keep the Reform Party afloat.

On October 25, 1999, Trump officially confirmed he had joined the Reform Party and declared he was going to run for the nomination, facing Pat Buchanan and physcist John Hagelin. Media attention swarmed Trump, whose platform was seen as a replica of Perot's in its centre-right, anti-free trade message. Trump constantly attacked Buchanan and in January 2000, when he released his book The America We Deserve which was seen as campaign manifesto, he came under scrutiny for it's proposals which included more intervention into healthcare, regulations to the second amendment and close to protectionist policies on trade.

Tensions increased closer to the convention, constant infighting began within the party after Trump was seen as the leading candidate in polls. Hagelin supporters were threatening to push a schism if Trump won. Hagelin consistently demanded the merging of the Natural Law Party and The Reform Party which many people within the Reform Party objected too, including Trump. Ventura once again came to the rescue, convincing Trump that the merging would help his general election chances and after meeting with Hagelin, he promised it in his campaign, to the dismay of many of his supporters.

In August 2000, Donald Trump won the nomination and went back to his home city of New York straight after his speech to rest. The following day, it was reported that Ventura came to see Trump and then, Hagelin came to Trump Tower. A few hours later, Hagelin confirmed that the Natural Law Party (which had gathered over 100,000 votes in 1996) had officially entered coalition with the Reform Party and Hagelin had been confirmed as Trump's vice presidental pick.

Cassidy-What-sort-of-man-is-Donald-Trump-1200.jpg

Trump talking to crowd in Syracuse, New York. October 2000.

In the following months, Trump gathered momentum and equally took from George W. Bush, the Republican nominee and Al Gore, the democratic nominee in terms of votes. Polling put him above Ross Perot in 1996 which was seen as a surprise as the tensions and issues within the party seemed to not bother the general electorate. Trump's campaign was considered to be very hostile to both Bush and Gore. Trump often called Bush a "right wing nutjob" and Gore a "communist". These hostilities furthered when Trump was denied an invitation to the debates and when speaking at a rally in Syracuse, New York, Trump said "The Democrat-Republican appratus will try to ignore me even if I scare them".

On the night of November 7th, 2000, Donald Trump was surrounded by Jesse Ventura, his campaign manager, John Hagelin, his vice presidental pick and Melania Knauss, his girlfriend of two years in Trump tower, watching MSNBC report the results in. Trump originally thought he had a chance to win through his name alone but realized it was a lot harder than he thought it'd be. He knew he wasn't going to win a state that night but he was eagerly wanting to get a high enough vote percentage to help the Reform Party, who he had grown slightly attached to. Ventura, who had already told Trump he would run in 2004 was also watching the results, hoping that the Reform Party vote wouldn't collapse at the last minute and also hoping that more votes would actually swing towards Trump.

oRY40y4.png

After all the votes had been counted, Trump realized he didn't get to the 10% he was polling at, though Ventura told him that he did get 3 million votes more than Perot in 1996. All major news stations broadcasted Trump's concession speech where he thanked the 11 million that voted for him and said "Trust me, I'm not done yet."

I hate Trump but this is extremely interesting and well done, good job and keep it up

7 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

I hate Trump but this is extremely interesting and well done, good job and keep it up

Thanks :) I wanted to add a bit of story to this considering I've been watching everyone else do play-by-play's for a while.

1 minute ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Who was bernie running mate?

Elizabeth Warren. (Just want to clarify right here I didn't add any bonuses to New York, I won it by a couple thousand votes and it was really unexpected but it works well with the story so I don't mind)

2001 New York Mayoral Election - Part 1

Conservative pundits had been criticising Trump for months after the 2000 election. Florida was close and Trump had gotten 16% of the vote in the state, they KNEW those votes would have gone to Bush if Trump hadn't run. People began to compare Trump to Perot in 1992, saying that the Reform Party had ruined another chance for the Bush family. They even labelled it the Trump effect.

It didn't help when Donald Trump attended the inauguration of Al Gore, the 43rd President of the United States. Trump, when asked by the New Yorker if he favored Gore or Bush, said he criticised both sides of the aisle constantly in the 2000 election. In the same interview, Trump hinted numerous times at running for mayor of New York even saying that he "could do a better job than Mayor Giuliani."

The following week, Trump called a press conference and while on stage, confirmed the rumors and admitted he was running for Mayor of New York. Criticising the speculative candidates for the Republican and Democratic party, he said "New Yorkers don't want Republicans, they don't want democrats, they don't want career politicians, they want a New Yorker who loves this city to be it's mayor".

w0qUJgj.png

In the following months, the first polls began to appear as the campaign actually kicked into action. Trump was polling at an average of 13.4% which was way below his expectations. Many pundits were still criticising him for the 2000 run which was nothing more than a spoiler vote and said it'd be the same here, discouraging people from voting for him. Trump had also been very lazy since he had announced he was going to run, not campaigning or spending money on advertisments, phonebanks and leaflets. Trump also wasn't eager to spend his own money in the campaign and any campaign fundraisers weren't able to gain any traction.

TRUMP 2000.A0050.jpg

Reform Party Candidate for New York Mayor, Donald Trump talks to press. July 2001.

The Trump campaign was considered a disaster, Trump had ruined it by allowing his Republican and Democratic rivals across the aisle to gain ground as he sat lazily in Trump Tower. He began to pump money into his campaign, starting with 6 million though it was nothing compared to his opponents. He tried to reorganize his campaign last minute in late July. It was too late for the Trump campaign though, by August 5th he had only gained 2% in the polls, not moving since July.

MOXvkeM.png

Trump once again began to pump more and more money into his campaign, knowing it was nothing more than a lost cause at this point. The New York Times reported that Trump had often lashed out at his campaign advisors for their incompetence and that he knew himself he had no real chance to win, seeing himself as a protest vote. He was constantly dropping in the polls only to go back up and then drop again.

On September 11th 2001, Trump woke up at 6am as he usually would and went to work, before sitting back and watching the news. He reached for his phone to call his campaign manager as CNN continued to report it's breaking news story.

hqdefault.jpg

CNN reporting on the September 11th attacks.

Trump waited a while until appearing out of Trump Tower, his expression was more stonefaced than anything, journalists rushed to him to ask him questions and the only words he said was "The Republicans and Democrats will abuse this tragedy, trust me. I'm going to do something about this" before leaving with the words "I said a year ago there would be a big, big terrorist attack." just before his car drove away.

Bloomberg began to fill his campaign coffers up with money, sending ads out and trying to cash in on the Gore Adminstration's mediocre response but Trump beat him to it, using free media coverage and volunteers flocking to his campaign to his advantage and spending millions on ads and leaflets as well as door knocking around New York.

1Ybo7WM.pngIFlPe0s.png

Trump had unexpectedly surged in the polls and by the end of September, he was catching up to Bloomberg and Green. The most surprising thing was that when polled, Queens residents were in majority support for Trump over Bloomberg and Green with Staten Island being the same. Left wing leaning magazine, the New Yorker said that Trump had used his charisma and expertise to manipulate people while right wing outlets reported that Trump was the real republican in this three man race and began to endorse him despite their criticism of him a year ago.

23 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

how did the you do the trump for governor thing?

I found it online lol

Wasn't expecting to, apparently he was considering a Governor run in 2014 and ran a few private campaign fundraisers for it.

1 minute ago, Presidentinsertname said:

how did toy do the mayoral race?

Someone made a scenario already so I just edited the existing scenario and added events.

58 minutes ago, wolves said:

2001 New York Mayoral Election - Part 1

Conservative pundits had been criticising Trump for months after the 2000 election. Florida was close and Trump had gotten 16% of the vote in the state, they KNEW those votes would have gone to Bush if Trump hadn't run. People began to compare Trump to Perot in 1992, saying that the Reform Party had ruined another chance for the Bush family. They even labelled it the Trump effect.

It didn't help when Donald Trump attended the inauguration of Al Gore, the 43rd President of the United States. Trump, when asked by the New Yorker if he favored Gore or Bush, said he criticised both sides of the aisle constantly in the 2000 election. In the same interview, Trump hinted numerous times at running for mayor of New York even saying that he "could do a better job than Mayor Giuliani."

The following week, Trump called a press conference and while on stage, confirmed the rumors and admitted he was running for Mayor of New York. Criticising the speculative candidates for the Republican and Democratic party, he said "New Yorkers don't want Republicans, they don't want democrats, they don't want career politicians, they want a New Yorker who loves this city to be it's mayor".

w0qUJgj.png

In the following months, the first polls began to appear as the campaign actually kicked into action. Trump was polling at an average of 13.4% which was way below his expectations. Many pundits were still criticising him for the 2000 run which was nothing more than a spoiler vote and said it'd be the same here, discouraging people from voting for him. Trump had also been very lazy since he had announced he was going to run, not campaigning or spending money on advertisments, phonebanks and leaflets. Trump also wasn't eager to spend his own money in the campaign and any campaign fundraisers weren't able to gain any traction.

TRUMP 2000.A0050.jpg

Reform Party Candidate for New York Mayor, Donald Trump talks to press. July 2001.

The Trump campaign was considered a disaster, Trump had ruined it by allowing his Republican and Democratic rivals across the aisle to gain ground as he sat lazily in Trump Tower. He began to pump money into his campaign, starting with 6 million though it was nothing compared to his opponents. He tried to reorganize his campaign last minute in late July. It was too late for the Trump campaign though, by August 5th he had only gained 2% in the polls, not moving since July.

MOXvkeM.png

Trump once again began to pump more and more money into his campaign, knowing it was nothing more than a lost cause at this point. The New York Times reported that Trump had often lashed out at his campaign advisors for their incompetence and that he knew himself he had no real chance to win, seeing himself as a protest vote. He was constantly dropping in the polls only to go back up and then drop again.

On September 11th 2001, Trump woke up at 6am as he usually would and went to work, before sitting back and watching the news. He reached for his phone to call his campaign manager as CNN continued to report it's breaking news story.

hqdefault.jpg

CNN reporting on the September 11th attacks.

Trump waited a while until appearing out of Trump Tower, his expression was more stonefaced than anything, journalists rushed to him to ask him questions and the only words he said was "The Republicans and Democrats will abuse this tragedy, trust me. I'm going to do something about this" and then later on that day, he said "Read my book, The America We Deserve, go on, read it. I already said that there will be an attack like this, no one listened to me"

Bloomberg began to fill his campaign coffers up with money, sending ads out and trying to cash in on the Gore Adminstration's mediocre response but Trump beat him to it, using free media coverage and volunteers flocking to his campaign to his advantage and spending millions on ads and leaflets as well as door knocking around New York.

1Ybo7WM.pngIFlPe0s.png

Trump had unexpectedly surged in the polls and by the end of September, he was catching up to Bloomberg and Green. The most surprising thing was that when polled, Queens residents were in majority support for Trump over Bloomberg and Green with Staten Island being the same. Left wing leaning magazine, the New Yorker said that Trump had used his charisma and expertise to manipulate people while right wing outlets reported that Trump was the real republican in this three man race and began to endorse him despite their criticism of him a year ago.

where's the link for that 2001 mayoral

2001 New York Mayoral Election - Part 2

donald-trump-world-trade-center-40-wall-street-53e3e097-710f-4870-985b-783073c2136d.jpg

Mayoral Candidate Donald Trump walks to the podium, preparing to talk in front of the New York Stock Exchange. October 2001.

Donald Trump's momentum continued through the month of September and as Trump's poll ratings accelerated, more and more people became undecided. Representives of both the Bloomberg and Green campaigns talked about the undecided percentage which had more support than any candidate when asked when Trump's sudden surge, saying his voterbase was "as fickle as his ego".

azPSV7T.png69rQYHt.png

By the end of October, Trump had taken the lead in the polls with most of his support coming from Queens where he led by nearly 15%. By this point, Trump had become the face of the Reform Party, Jesse Ventura had taken a large dip in his approval ratings and there were reports that he wasn't going to rerun in 2002 leaving his 2004 run up in the air despite it being apparent the year beforehand. Perot criticised Trump saying that he had "hijacked the Reform Party and turned it into a populist mess" before endorsing him once he met with Trump in Trump Tower.

Within the following months, the Reform Party also had a sudden surge in membership notably coming from New York state, Trump, a household name for decades was talked about in every newspaper, criticised, praised and analysed. The media denied that Trump had a chance, claiming that his support was just temporary and it'd crash during the vote counting.

With 9 days left before election day, Bloomberg and Green launched last minute cash injections into their campaign, Bloomberg reportedly spent over $40 million in 7 days on advertisements and leaflets. It didn't seem to harm Trump though.

en9ny0T.png

Polling average two days before the election, showing Trump's support dropping.

On the night of the election, Trump was sat in Trump Tower, surrounded again by his friends and family. To him, it felt a lot like a year ago, when he had been slapped with disappointment. He felt more confident but knew from experience to not set the bar too high. As the results began to trickle in, it was certain that this was a two man race between Bloomberg and Trump. CNN reported the election live as it had been the spotlight of national news alongside the government's response to the 9/11 attacks. Trump was watching, tense. He was losing the entire time to Bloomberg until Queens started to report in givingTrump a huge boost to his vote share, quickly overtaking Bloomberg.

Then came Brooklyn, Trump also won that borough. Trump was projected to be the victor.

JcBawfr.png

22 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

where's the link for that 2001 mayoral

I'll tweak it and upload it tonight if you really want it.

2 minutes ago, wolves said:

I'll tweak it and upload it tonight if you really want it.

I'm really enthusiastic about city politics.I may update the 2017 Mayoral campaign soon to reflect new developments like De Blasio defending that correction officer who's involved in a massive scandal.

Just now, republicaninnyc said:

I'm really enthusiastic about city politics.I may update the 2017 Mayoral campaign soon to reflect new developments like De Blasio defending that correction officer who's involved in a massive scandal.

I think I actually edited your 2017 mayoral campaign to get the 2001 one albeit I added a lot of events for my 2001.

1 minute ago, wolves said:

I think I actually edited your 2017 mayoral campaign to get the 2001 one albeit I added a lot of events for my 2001.

actually the 2017 campaign was made by jnewt though I'm thinking about making some NYC mayorals though now that I've finished New York 2010 Governor

Edited by republicaninnyc
fix typo

Just now, Presidentinsertname said:

Did you add trump to the governor?

yes it was part of that update.It was proposed long before you proposed it.

2004 Presidental Election Pt. 1 - Reform Party Primaries - Buildup to 2005 Mayoral

51093861.jpg

Jesse Ventura being questioned after meeting Mayor Donald J. Trump in New York City.

Jesse Ventura had been preparing for 2004 for a long time now, as Governor of Minnesota he focused hugely on infrastructure and cutting taxes but towards the end of his first term, his approval ratings were under water. He decided to not run for a second term.

After rumors he wasn't going to run in 2004, he squashed them after meeting with Mayor Donald Trump in New York City and then announcing he was running to be the nominee for the Reform Party. Later that week, John Hagelin, the vice presidental pick in 2000 announced he was also running despite objections from Jesse Ventura and Donald Trump.

zcESbwf.png

Polling average on the 1st December 2003

Polling as soon as Ventura announced grew for the Reform Party who were initially polling at 0.6%. Ventura was nationally known as being a WWF legend and is a household name in many states. Trump came out and endorsed Ventura and a poll later that week shown Reform polling at 11% in New York and that Reform overall poll ratings went to 9.5%.

5JxhbVL.png

Polling average on 15th December 2003

By the end of December 2003, Hagelin was in all national papers after Ralph Nader endorsed his candidacy. Hagelin ran on a centre-left platform which advocated pulling out of Iraq, expanding democracy, regulating the second amendment, cutting taxes and allowing more people to have access to healthcare. Hagelin was picking up former voters of the Green Party nominee Ralph Nader, representing the centre-left of the party while Ventura was seen to represent the Trump wing of the Reform Party, two radically different views.

Running on the democratic side were President Al Gore and Governor Howard Dean and on the Republican side, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, 2000 nominee George W. Bush, Senator John McCain and Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York.

By Feburary 2004, it was apparent that Gore was going to be renominated with Dean's nomination chances failing while the primary on the Republican side was heated between Gingrich and Bush who was a late bloomer in the race (only becoming a front runner after Iowa.)

Despite Nader's endorsement, it only appeared to have helped Hagelin in the state of Hawaii when former supporters of Naders came out for him. Nevada was the closest that Hagelin got to taking a second state, losing by barely 6 votes.

A4UJTTf.pngokmz1Ja.png

President. Gore was confirmed the winner of the Democratic primary with 3306 delegates and Gingrich won the Republican primary with 1798 delegates.

Z1MQovp.pnguWVpuol.png

FNIt8FC.png

John Hagelin during an interview with CNN. July 2004.

Ventura had been gaining momentum for months and in July, he finally reached 15% in the polls. Donald Trump was campaigning for him in the state of New York when he wasn't busy with his mayoral duties and Hagelin had become silent, refusing to endorse Ventura. After numerous polls were released showing Ventura's average steadily at 15%, Hagelin was interviewed by CNN and during the interview, he endorsed Al Gore and said that the Reform Party had been hijacked by Donald Trump, a sentiment also expressed by Reform Party founder Ross Perot. Hagelin also admitted that he regretted allowing the merge of the Natural Law Party and the Reform Party.

After the Reform Party convention, Ventura clocked in at 16.3% in the polls despite Hagelin's endorsement of Gore and numerous pundits dismissing Ventura as nothing more than a "protest vote".

iKrLhIW.png

(Going to also be doing the 2008 election, maybe not 2012 because it's central to Trump's governor run in 2010)

4 minutes ago, wolves said:

(Going to also be doing the 2008 election, maybe not 2012 because it's central to Trump's governor run in 2010)

You're finishing this one too right?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

You're finishing this one too right?

Yeah, don't worry. The 2008 one is going to be a part of this.