270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RI Democrat

European Parliament 2019 now available

After working on this off and on for a long time and trying to take account of the changing European political scene, I finally have this in a form that I'd like to share. Note that this is something of an AU scenario in which the EU changes its system to resemble the German MMP system somewhat. Here is the blurb from the scenario file explaining why this is going on:

A series of crises for the European Union - including Britain's exit, Scotland's plans to leave the UK, rising nationalism, a refugee crisis, and controversial austerity measures - have set the stage for a critical European Parliamentary election. In an effort to create a more cohesive body politic and weaken the standing of extremists, European leaders have agreed to hold an early election under mixed-member proportional representation with EU-wide thresholds for obtaining party list seats, with the EU parties now allowed to share funding and resources across national borders. Each party is required to put forth a candidate for Commission President again, with numerous current and former heads of government in the running along with some other prominent pan-European figures.

I had to do quite a bit of educated guessing, particularly when it comes to issue stances and what to do with parties that are non-aligned IRL, so please let me know if you think I'm off the mark or if you have suggestions in general.

European Union - 2019.zip

3 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

After working on this off and on for a long time and trying to take account of the changing European political scene, I finally have this in a form that I'd like to share. Note that this is something of an AU scenario in which the EU changes its system to resemble the German MMP system somewhat. Here is the blurb from the scenario file explaining why this is going on:

A series of crises for the European Union - including Britain's exit, Scotland's plans to leave the UK, rising nationalism, a refugee crisis, and controversial austerity measures - have set the stage for a critical European Parliamentary election. In an effort to create a more cohesive body politic and weaken the standing of extremists, European leaders have agreed to hold an early election under mixed-member proportional representation with EU-wide thresholds for obtaining party list seats, with the EU parties now allowed to share funding and resources across national borders. Each party is required to put forth a candidate for Commission President again, with numerous current and former heads of government in the running along with some other prominent pan-European figures.

I had to do quite a bit of educated guessing, particularly when it comes to issue stances and what to do with parties that are non-aligned IRL, so please let me know if you think I'm off the mark or if you have suggestions in general.

European Union - 2019.zip

can you please port this to PI or PMI if possible.It looks like a good scenario.

@RI Democrat I haven't seen you here in a while, how is it going?

41 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

can you please port this to PI or PMI if possible.It looks like a good scenario.

It's possible that R.I. Democrat finds PMI and PI as annoying to work with, underdeveloped as engines, stifled by Anthony's priorities of development, and other factors inhibiting his making of scenarios by them as opposed to P4E, PM4E, and K4E (like I do). That, and you can't do the European Parliament Elections with any credibility AT ALL by either PI or PMI, because the MMP system in a functional form is REQUIRED, but Anthony has annoying put a new version of that to the perpetual backburner (another priority decision of his that greatly annoys me).

@Reagan04 Not bad, thanks for asking.

I do work with PMI and PI occasionally, and in fact I plan to do a sort of "sister scenario" in PI where EU voters are now electing a Council President through a sort of Electoral College. However, for the purpose of the parliamentary election, K4E is really the only option. Having the EU adopt first-past-the-post would just be a stretch too far, IMO.

I don't mean to sound whiny, but does the lack of response mean:

1) Most posters here don't own K4E and thus can't play the scenario?
2) People aren't interested in this particular scenario?
3) People played it and have no feedback?
4) People don't like it and are being too polite to say so?

If #4 is the answer, please feel free to be impolite and voice your criticisms. Otherwise, I'm wondering whether I should post it as is on the site or just shelve it due to lack of interest.

(EDIT: I said CI when I meant K4E.)

3 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

1) Most posters here don't own CI and thus can't play the scenario?

If #4 is the answer, please feel free to be impolite and voice your criticisms. Otherwise, I'm wondering whether I should post it as is on the site or just shelve it due to lack of interest.

Well, I dont own CI, but the scenarios of CI are playable in PMI.

I'm thinking about possibly getting Chancellor Infinity.  But, I think #1 is probably the reason for this.  If proportional is added the PMI, I would definitely be interested in playing a European Parliament election.

11 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I'm thinking about possibly getting Chancellor Infinity.  But, I think #1 is probably the reason for this.  If proportional is added the PMI, I would definitely be interested in playing a European Parliament election.

same though if Patine's scenarios are made I may get Congress Infinity.

8 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

1) Most posters here don't own CI and thus can't play the scenario?

I never got around to playing it, ill give it a go.

I don't have Chancellor forever which is why I haven't responded.

Oh, this is for Chancellor Forever! Not Congress Infinity, I have K4E I just never installed a scenario and am not seeing the folder for it, any help?

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Oh, this is for Chancellor Forever! Not Congress Infinity, I have K4E I just never installed a scenario and am not seeing the folder for it, any help?

I thought it was I'll check now

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

it's for chancellor forever confirmed.

10 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I thought you said you had installed my West Germany 1949 scenario and actually played it.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I thought you said you had installed my West Germany 1949 scenario and actually played it.

Let me check, FML yep it's on there, well I must have forgotten how to download it. 

BTW, I am planning to do a companion President Infinity scenario to this whereby the changes to the EU parliamentary election system are accompanied by the establishment of an electoral college to choose the President of the European Council (a separate office from the President of the European Commission, who answers to the parliament).

However, I'm wondering what to do about the parties since none of the EU parties would ever even come close to winning a majority of EU voters' support. I was considering having a "primary" where candidates from the main left-of-center and right-of-center blocs might compete with each other to be the standard-bearer for the general election. So probably PASD, G-EFA, and GUE-NGL would compete for the left's nomination, and EPP, ECR, EFDD, and ENF would compete for the right. (The fringe hard-left and neo-fascist parties would still be on their own and potentially playing spoiler.)

Would people prefer that, or just have each party run its own campaign and let the chips fall where they may? The latter would probably result in "Congress" choosing a winner most of the time, while the former would group together parties that often don't get along IRL and would leave me with a dilemma over what to do with the ALDE affiliates.

2 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

BTW, I am planning to do a companion President Infinity scenario to this whereby the changes to the EU parliamentary election system are accompanied by the establishment of an electoral college to choose the President of the European Council (a separate office from the President of the European Commission, who answers to the parliament).

However, I'm wondering what to do about the parties since none of the EU parties would ever even come close to winning a majority of EU voters' support. I was considering having a "primary" where candidates from the main left-of-center and right-of-center blocs might compete with each other to be the standard-bearer for the general election. So probably PASD, G-EFA, and GUE-NGL would compete for the left's nomination, and EPP, ECR, EFDD, and ENF would compete for the right. (The fringe hard-left and neo-fascist parties would still be on their own and potentially playing spoiler.)

Would people prefer that, or just have each party run its own campaign and let the chips fall where they may? The latter would probably result in "Congress" choosing a winner most of the time, while the former would group together parties that often don't get along IRL and would leave me with a dilemma over what to do with the ALDE affiliates.

I would be interested in this type of campaign.  Although, with the new popular vote feature, you could have a 2 round popular vote system.  The ENF, EFDD (although depending on when this occurs, the EFDD will be weakened with UKIP's exit), and ECR could be its own "party" as the Eurosceptics on the right.  The EPP could be alone because they represent the pro-European center-right.  Considering the GUE-NGL has some far-left tendencies and parties, they could be off on their own with other far-left non-Inscrits (such as the Greek Communist Party).  I am not sure where the ALDE would go. Although, they could be in the left camp instead of the GUE-NGL.  Or, its supporters could be split between the left camp and the pro-Europe center-right.  Non-Inscrits such as Jobbik and Golden Dawn would probably go together for a far-right party.

I'd play any PI version you'd like to make. Just not going to buy an old German election game running on a 2005 (I think) version of the engine. 

3 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

I'd play any PI version you'd like to make. Just not going to buy an old German election game running on a 2005 (I think) version of the engine. 

UMM ACHKUCHUALLY ITS A 2009 VERSION:P

13 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

UMM ACHKUCHUALLY ITS A 2009 VERSION:P

There were both 2005 and 2009 versions.

I'm trying this out now.