270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RFK/JFKfan

UK Constituency Elections

With the new popular vote feature, making U.S. senate, governor etc elections is much easier. I figured that it might also be neat to do some notable constituency elections.

Waaaaay back in the day, the user Treasurer of the PC made some good Westminster constituency scenarios, mostly by-elections if I remember correctly. 

In terms of the upcoming general election, the following would make quite interesting scenarios imo. Feel free to add your own suggestions. 

Moray - Can the SNP's Westminster leader Angus Robertson hold off a Tory challenge?

Vauxhall - Can the maverick Brexiteer Labour MP Kate Hoey win her seemingly safe seat again, with the Lib Dems fiercely targeting the seat?

Twickenham - Will the heavyweight former Lib Dem cabinet minister Vince Cable win back the seat that he so shockingly lost in 2015?

Ynys Mon - In one of the most interesting constituencies in Wales, will Albert Owen defy the odds and continue the seat's taste for re-electing incumbents (no incumbent MP has lost this seat since 1951)?

Birmingham Yardley - A battle between two outspoken characters in Labour's Jess Phillips and the Liberal Democrats' John Hemming. Who will win?

Um,except that in the UK citizens vote for parties not candidates

14 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

Um,except that in the UK citizens vote for parties not candidates

That's not correct. They vote for candidates, who often (though not always) belong to parties. Each constituency elects a member, who has the plurality of votes in that constituency. The Government (Prime Minister and Cabinet) traditionally come from the party or coalition with the "confidence of the House,' which usually means a majority of seats, but some governments try the risk of a 'minority government' (ruling with a plurality of seats and coaxing different parties to support different laws individually to stay afloat and avoid a vote of no confidence). It's the same system as here in Canada. Think of it as though the President and Cabinet in the US were, rather than a separate Presidential election, chosen from the majority of the members of the House of Representatives, and dependent on keeping that majority instead, to get anywhere close to the Westminster System.

Just now, Patine said:

That's not correct. They vote for candidates, who often (though not always) belong to parties. Each constituency elects a member, who has the plurality of votes in that constituency. The Government (Prime Minister and Cabinet) traditionally come from the party or coalition with the "confidence of the House,' which usually means a majority of seats, but some governments try the risk of a 'minority government' (ruling with a plurality of seats and coaxing different parties to support different laws individually to stay afloat and avoid a vote of no confidence). It's the same system as here in Canada. Think of it as though the President and Cabinet in the US were, rather than a separate Presidential election, chosen from the majority of the members of the House of Representatives, and dependent on keeping that majority instead, to get anywhere close to the Westminster System.

Sorry I confused the systems.

I had an idea of the the recent Stoke Central by-election where the UKIP leader stood as it would be interesting. It could also work in the PI engine where candidates could fight it out for their party nomination. I might try and put together a base scenario that people could build Constituency elections from or test a Stoke scenario when the ai strategy is updated for Pop. Vote.

This website is pretty good at analysing individual constituencies and estimated vote breakdown by ward.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Stoke-on-Trent would be a great one because it was really the first post Brexit test for UKIP.

I've tried to have a go at creating Bishop Auckland, a nearby marginal to me.

It's hardly playable because of graphics, events, issues and so on (and all the US parties are in but with no support or ballot access). But the map and percentages work well. I've made a lot of undecided voters to make the election more interesting, and to make it more interesting for the smaller parties these undecideds have mostly come from Labour and the Conservatives.

BA.png