Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

1637 Massachusetts Election

1637 Massachusetts Election  

12 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you be interested in downloading and playing the 1637 Massachusetts Election?

  2. 2. Would you be willing to make the 1637 Massachusetts map for me, since I can't seem to figure it out. (I'll send instructions on how it should look)

    • Yes, please send me a message or email.
    • No, because I don't know how, or I don't have the time.
  3. 3. Which of the candidates for 1637 are you most interested in playing as?

    • Incumbent governor Henry Vane of Boston, the 24-year-old relatively liberal Anne Hutchinson advocate, newly from England, as he seeks reelection.
    • Former governor, and current deputy governor, John Winthrop of Boston, the 49-year-old leading figure of Massachusetts government, who seeks to unseat Vane before he changes Puritan Massachusetts.
    • Former governor, and current assistant (magistrate), Thomas Dudley of Cambridge, the 60 year old consistent rival with Winthrop, who hopes to be the leading force of Massachusetts.
      0
    • Former (and first) governor, and current assistant (magistrate), John Endicott of Salem, 49-year-old leader of the radical separatist group of Puritans, mostly inhabiting Salem.


Recommended Posts

Here's an image of the candidates. I already have events, surrogates, endorsers, % and towns typed out. I just need a map. 

1637Frontispiece.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's an image of the candidates. I already have events, surrogates, endorsers, % and towns typed out. I just need a map. 

1637Frontispiece.jpg

I actually heard on a documentary on television some years a quip by the host about the political spectrum of the Massachusetts Colony compared to today. He said it came to "right-wing was burn all the witches on sight and suspicion, everyone must be Puritan and prove their devotion and conviction every Sunday, and the Lord's Will be done on Earth as in Heaven, while left-wing was we'll give the witches a fair trial and freedom of religion will be observed - as long as it's still an English-derived branch of Calvinist Christianity."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

I actually heard on a documentary on television some years a quip by the host about the political spectrum of the Massachusetts Colony compared to today. He said it came to "right-wing was burn all the witches on sight and suspicion, everyone must be Puritan and prove their devotion and conviction every Sunday, and the Lord's Will be done on Earth as in Heaven, while left-wing was we'll give the witches a fair trial and freedom of religion will be observed - as long as it's still an English-derived branch of Calvinist Christianity."

That would probably be far-left wing. You didn't really have any freedom of religion in Massachusetts. One would have to flee to Pennsylvania or New York. Some found some relative freedom in New Hampshire, future Maine. Rhode Island and Connecticut were different types of intolerance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

That would probably be far-left wing. You didn't really have any freedom of religion in Massachusetts. One would have to flee to Pennsylvania or New York. Some found some relative freedom in New Hampshire, future Maine. Rhode Island and Connecticut were different types of intolerance. 

 

Maryland was VERY Catholic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Maryland was VERY Catholic.

It was, but at the time and region, if you were a persecuted Catholic, you could also learn French, and go to New France (which was absolutely huge in a geographic area back then), or learn Spanish and go to Florida (New Spain was farther afield).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, If I can't find anyone that can do that map, I'll try and do it myself without screwing it up. I'm not terribly patient sometimes, so if I can't do it after three attempts, I'll probably just use the 2016 Massachusetts map, even though it isn't even accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Well, If I can't find anyone that can do that map, I'll try and do it myself without screwing it up. I'm not terribly patient sometimes, so if I can't do it after three attempts, I'll probably just use the 2016 Massachusetts map, even though it isn't even accurate. 

I'll go back to it when I have some spare time, which might not be till next week, if you can wait. But, it'll be a hackjob like you'd likely do, but I've done a few hackjob maps for this game before, including the obviously working ones for my Canada 1957 and West Germany 1949 scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'll go back to it when I have some spare time, which might not be till next week, if you can wait. But, it'll be a hackjob like you'd likely do, but I've done a few hackjob maps for this game before, including the obviously working ones for my Canada 1957 and West Germany 1949 scenarios.

Thanks. Right now I'm just trying to get the Massachusetts map to show up normally Pixlr Editor so I can just zoom in on the Eastern half and edit it from there. Maybe I can make something you can work with by then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ignore this post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine

Ok, here's my hackjob, so far. 

1637Map.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine

Ok, here's my hackjob, so far. 

1637Map.jpg

That's not too bad. What's your map of reference? The ones I found online were utter crap for the practical purposes of making TheorySpark game maps, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

That's not too bad. What's your map of reference? The ones I found online were utter crap for the practical purposes of making TheorySpark game maps, at least.

I just zoomed in on the eastern half of a Massachusetts map, and sort of just made rough boarders for the town property. Obviously the map is inaccurate, since part of the Eastern coast, especially much of Boston, is landfill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine

What does it mean when it says, "this map doesn't have fill positions that can be set"? I'm trying to make the blocks regions in the editor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine

What does it mean when it says, "this map doesn't have fill positions that can be set"? I'm trying to make the blocks regions in the editor. 

It means the border is not solid base colour black completely surrounding the political region in question. I know that error well... Even a single missing or out of place pixel is enough to trigger it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine

So I remade the map, filled the borders completely as black as possible, and I get the same message. Is there something else that's causing this error? Here's the update. I can't fill a single space:

 

 

1637Map.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Conservative Elector 2 has made some maps, I think. He might be able to help out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can look upon this on Saturday. However, I don't see the reason yet why it's not working...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I can look upon this on Saturday. However, I don't see the reason yet why it's not working...

Thanks. I'm a little perplexed by it. Before Saturday, I might make another go at it, and try to make the map look less like a hackjob. I think If I can zoom in a little more, I might be able to make the regions a little better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Conservative Elector 2 @Patine @admin_270

Here's a new colorless version of the map above. This shows more clearly how solid black the lines are. I don't know why it still says I don't have fill positions on any region I've made. This is a jpg version for display, obviously I'm using the bmp version at the correct size when attempting to make the map into regions. 

 

1637Map.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Could the space at the bottom left be the problem?

I'll try blocking it off, but that wasn't going to be one of the regions. Only the locked in squared and blocky areas are regions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jvikings1

I blocked in the entire white area with a solid black border and it still doesn't work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine @jvikings1 @Reagan04 @Sunnymentoaddict @TheMiddlePolitical @The DM @SeanFKennedy @CalebsParadox

Here are the issues for 1637, if you are curious:

  • Relations with the Indians
  • Relations with Rhode Island
  • Relations with Plymouth Colony
  • Relations with Connecticut
  • Relations with England
  • Religious Tolerance
  • Covenant of Works vs. Covenant of Grace
  • Church of England
  • Church Polity
  • Strictness of Justice
  • Taxation
  • Pequot War
  • Expansion of Massachusetts Bay
  • Role of Government
  • Immigration
  • English Law
  • Establishing the College
  • Public School
  • Militia Organization

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine @jvikings1 @Reagan04 @Sunnymentoaddict @TheMiddlePolitical @The DM @SeanFKennedy @CalebsParadox

Here are the issues for 1637, if you are curious:

  • Relations with the Indians
  • Relations with Rhode Island
  • Relations with Plymouth Colony
  • Relations with Connecticut
  • Relations with England
  • Religious Tolerance
  • Covenant of Works vs. Covenant of Grace
  • Church of England
  • Church Polity
  • Strictness of Justice
  • Taxation
  • Pequot War
  • Expansion of Massachusetts Bay
  • Role of Government
  • Immigration
  • English Law
  • Establishing the College
  • Public School
  • Militia Organization

Were the borders and areas of settlement and operation with New France to the north and northwest close enough to intersection in 1637 to make that an issue at all? I know the voyageurs spread out quite boldly and operated in a much bigger sphere of activity than the same number of English colonists by far at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Were the borders and areas of settlement and operation with New France to the north and northwest close enough to intersection in 1637 to make that an issue at all? I know the voyageurs spread out quite boldly and operated in a much bigger sphere of activity than the same number of English colonists by far at that time.

I've just focused on the more accessible trade markets. Trade elsewhere definitely occurred, but I'm not as knowledgeable on it. I know for instance that my ancestor John Tuttle operated ships in a triangle from Boston to Barbados to London. Trade with New France, New Amsterdam, New Sweden, Virginia, Maryland, etc. would probably be dictated by the level of intolerance and level of need for a good. Massachusetts Bay was incredibly closed off. As such, except when supplies were low, they probably didn't allow much imports. Exporting merchants, who probably cared more about money than God when they weren't having to put on as how when they were in the bay, probably ported their ships at any dock that was profitable. 

I'd like to read about their trade a little more. Thanks for bringing this up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×