270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JDrakeify

UK PMI Scenarios

On 14/04/2017 at 6:21 PM, victor1313 said:

good you create churchill election in future?

Its on the list of scenarios I am considering doing, but after 1992, 1997, and maybe 2005 as well, which have the advantage of requiring little to no boundary changes. Then I may do a couple of post war scenarios, probably 1950/51, which have the advantage of being far closer than the 1945 result, and not having a few multi member constituencies which PMI might now know how to handle

9 minutes ago, daons said:

For a seat by seat breakdown and turnout in all UK General Elections this website has got lots of data.

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/edates.htm

Yes, and if you want to delve before 1832, it's pretty easy - every county, borough, and the three big Universities (Oxford, Cambridge, and, after the Act of Union of 1801, Dublin) each got 2 MP's regardless of size and population. However, such old elections would have other complications, like the fact that in many there would have to be several separate Whig and Tory "parties" per election, each named after their leader, as the two parties were highly factionalized and lacked true unity or party organization like we know it today, a lot of seats were uncontested (and I mean a LOT, in some cases), the "buying and selling of "rotten" Borough seats might be difficult to account for, there were no campaign finance limits, and, for instance, in the mid-1700's, a Whig leader named Thomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle, one of the wealthiest men in Britain at the time, financed his party's campaigns out of his own personal fortune ways in ways (and amounts, if you translated the currency from then to now) that would completely violate British campaign funding laws today, and the fact that while partisan elections of any sort are verifiably traceable back to the November 1640 election (the Royalists, or Cavaliers versus the Parliamentarians, or Roundhead, on the verge of the English Civil War), the office of Prime Minister in the sense we know it, regardless of whether the title was bandied about in their dates or not, only dates back to Sir Robert Walpole in 1721. I've actually looked into this all a while ago when I had original plans to try my hand such old scenarios.

1 hour ago, JDrakeify said:

1992 is up on the campaigns section of the website now. '97 is next.

You are an absolute legend! This is what I needed today!

1997 is online. Let me know if there are any changes that could be made to improve it. I might take a break from doing new scenarios for now, I am getting a little tired of the creation process. Maybe I'll do a 1950/51 scenario if I decide to come back to UK scenarios at some point.

35 minutes ago, wolves said:

Oh, but the New Zealand 1975 "Dancing Cossacks" ad put out by the National Party, with the first half animated by Hanna-Barbera studios was a real classic. I'm going to see if I can dig up footage of the ad on the Internet somewhere...

Just now, Patine said:

Oh, but the New Zealand 1975 "Dancing Cossacks" ad put out by the National Party, with the first half animated by Hanna-Barbera studios was a real classic. I'm going to see if I can dig up footage of the ad on the Internet somewhere...

I didn't know that :P

I usually like this Labour Party political broadcast because it's very important to the history of the Labour Party plus if you talk to anyone around in 1997 in the UK, they usually remember this.

@JDrakeify, would you be OK with me using your 1979 scenario as the base for importing this old scenario of mine into the PMI engine?

I'd be leaving all the UK candidates in place, with a few changes to issues and the Irish constituencies added in (plus a few Irish-only parties that will be in the mix).

11 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

@JDrakeify, would you be OK with me using your 1979 scenario as the base for importing this old scenario of mine into the PMI engine?

I'd be leaving all the UK candidates in place, with a few changes to issues and the Irish constituencies added in (plus a few Irish-only parties that will be in the mix).

Be my guest. Look forward to seeing it.

On 5/24/2017 at 4:17 AM, JDrakeify said:

Be my guest. Look forward to seeing it.

will you make 2002?

2 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

will you make 2002?

2001 (you got the year off by one) was the most boring election for the British Parliament since the mid-18th Century. :P

1 minute ago, Patine said:

2002 was the most boring election for the British Parliament since the mid-18th Century. :P

correction 2001

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I edited my own post as you were typing.

what about 2010?

2 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

what about 2010?

That was much more interesting. But the only British elections I have interest in making myself are historical ones and possibly Devolved Regional Assemblies (Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), and Cornwall, Orkney, Shetland, the Isle of Wight, and the Isles of Scilly council (not really any others) local elections.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

That was much more interesting. But the only British elections I have interest in making myself are historical ones and possibly Devolved Regional Assemblies (Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), and Cornwall, Orkney, Shetland, the Isle of Wight, and the Isles of Scilly council (not really any others) local elections.

what about non-british ones?

Just now, republicaninnyc said:

what about non-british ones?

My interests are huge in that regard. Basically, if it's a contested election for a meaningful position or legislative body with a real chance of an outcome of more than one participant having a chance at victory, either historically or in a modern sense, I might be interested, as long as it's not done to death on these forums (basically U.S. Federal and British National elections from the 1970's till today are the big categories of "done to death" as I see it). I also plan to deal in election scenarios of hypothetical future set-ups (as I'm also an amateur, though unpublished, science fiction and fantasy author of middling skill), of which my 2048 world hypothetical world set-up is just one.

I'd like to see 2001 in order to try and knock labor out of the government.  I always appreciate a good challenge.

1997 is online. Let me know if there are any changes that could be made to improve it.

A good choice of scenario, which I'm throughly enjoying :). Just one small criticism, as a campaigner for UKIP Nigel Farage has a Henley barnstorming bonus despite there being no UKIP candidate in Henley. 

23 hours ago, republicaninnyc said:

will you make 2002?

I am probably going to take a break from these scenarios for a while. There is only so much number inputting that you can do before the whole thing seems a pretty tedious prospect. If I start up again, it will be 1950/51 I do first. After that, who knows?

10 hours ago, Manic said:

A good choice of scenario, which I'm throughly enjoying :). Just one small criticism, as a campaigner for UKIP Nigel Farage has a Henley barnstorming bonus despite there being no UKIP candidate in Henley. 

That will be because UKIP was created from a Tory duplicate, and so Farage was created from Heseltine (the only time those two have anything in common), I'll try and amend it and reupload the scenario if I remember.