270soft Forum
The DM

2016 Election Roleplay

Governor Tanton rolls on through Georgia

Governor Tanton visited Macon, Atlanta, Savannah, Marietta, Decatur, and Lawrenceville over the past 2 days. He spoke on issues regarding foreign policy and domestic economic policy. He then met with fellow Southern Governor Nathan Deal in Atlanta and signed a cooperation agreement that allowed greater Commerce between the two states. The deal is projected to create 1,500 jobs.

Hello, Savannah! Home to one of the largest submarine fields in our great nation. I actually came to talk a little about that. Our navy is falling way too behind. The President would have you believe it's all technology making up the gap. However, sorry to say. Nothing is. Even when accounted for tech advances don't bridge this ever growing chasm of weakness. We used to have a knock your socks off navy as much yall recalls. That is something President Tanton would restore, Not too mention jobs, We could certainly reopen the manufactory here in Savannah for the nuclear subs! 

Good Afternoon Atlanta! I stand here with A Deal and an agreement *chuckles from the crowd* The Deal Gov. Deal and I have agreed upon is set to bring 1,500 jobs to Northern and Western Georgia! We are opening up trucking routes and regulatory lines for certain businesses to compete and allow inter-state travel. In fact, this is just a sampling of the deals I'd make abroad. We have been cheating good hardworking Americans for far too long. I want to stand here before you with a record of good deals and job creation!

Later Governor Deal said, "I haven't decided on a horse on the race, but hell I'd be lying if I said John wasn't a damn good man, quick as a whip and love God almost as much as his wife, I will definitely keep my eye on him for my vote!"

Fischer Talks Education in IA

Fischer went back to the Maryland governor's mansion in the middle of December. After celebrating his 35th birthday (12/22/15), Christmas, and New Year's with his family (OOC: as in parents and close friends. He's not married and has no kids, which his parents aren't thrilled about), the Governor attended to some state matters, then hit the campaign trail in Iowa. Less than three weeks before the Democratic caucus in that state, Gov. Fischer spoke about education issues at a rally in Jefferson.

"You've all seen those charts of where each country stands in STEM education, reading, and so on. America's never at the top of any of them. This has to change if we're going to remain the greatest nation on Earth. We need to improve our education system, from Pre-K through college. First, we should give tax credits to families that enroll their kids in preschools or kindergartens; we should reward investing in a child's education. As for grade school, Common Core needs some tweaking. The overall idea is good, but some aspects of it need to be rethought. However, we can't just switch entirely to something else; changing curriculums and standards every 4 or 8 years is probably damaging to children's education. We also need to improve access teachers have to unions, so they can fight for the pay they deserve. And for college, in-state public colleges and universities should be tuition free, and repaying any debt accrued should be easy and as painless as possible. Together, we can fix the broken education system in this country and put America back at the top. Make sure you get out and vote on the 1st of next month! Let's do this!"

The Fischer campaign stated that they plan to stay in Iowa for the most part over the next few weeks, though the Governor may also visit South Carolina at some point.

Sen. Jackson Rolls through Massachusetts

Sen. Mark Jackson had campaign stops in Taunton, Boston, and Amherst.  In Amherst, he spoke to students at the University of Massachusetts.  He spoke about the Washington Machine and terrorism.  To students, he spoke about his economic plan.

“For far too long, politicians from both parties, Democrat and Republican, have continued to spend out of control while letting our infrastructure crumble.  We have spent trillions of dollars in the Middle East and have nothing to show for it.  Roads and bridges are being built by us in Afghanistan while our roads and bridges start to fall apart.  I am tired of seeing this.  One of the reasons that I decided to run was because of this issues.  It is time for change.  It is time for new leadership and new ideas.  I want to focus on America.  We will put American jobs, lives, and security FIRST.  You have my promise.  No more will we go around trying to force our values on people of the world.  Why?  Because that has failed time and time again.  It is time to stop being the world police.  With the Washington Machine, you will get more of the same, but if you elect me as President, I will fight for and represent America!”

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson met with the crowds before leaving to meet with Gov. Baker, Lt. Gov. Polito, and former Gov. Weld.

Gov. Parish's Announcement

At a rally in New Hampshire, 

"As I am watching the election cycle unfold, I have come to realize that the two party system in America has poisoned democracy. Both sides have polarized voters to the point where party lines are more important than governing. The time has come for a third party to help balance out the other two the same way the three branches of government balance each other. I have decided to drop out of the race for the Republican Party's nomination and to switch to the Linertarian ticket. Conservatism, Liberalism, they both have their merits. But at the end of the day, government's purpose is to serve the people, not obstruct their lives with large interference. George Washington warned against the influence of political parties, and in an ideal world, they wouldn't be necessary. But in the global-industrial reality of today, they are a necessary evil. A fresh perspective is needed in warshington. As you consider who you vote for this election year, consider this: are you comfortable with the same two parties doing the same thing for the next four years, or do you want real change of leadership. Vote libertarian this year. Vote Parish 2016."

After the speech there was murmuring among the crowd, and the governor stayed behind taking questions and speaking with local constituents about his ideals and his political platform.

Sen. Jackson Campaigns in Vermont

Sen Jackson had stops in Burlington, Barre, and Rutland.  He spoke about guns and rural America.

“I know that guns are an important part of life in Vermont.  It is an important part of life in my home state of Kentucky.  As President, I would protect the right to bear arms.  If the government is allowed to take guns away from law abiding citizens, the threat of tyranny increases.  Law abiding citizens should be allowed to arm themselves with weapons capable of defending themselves.  Law abiding citizens can help out in many situations.  If the government tries to remove the people’s liberties, the people can stand and defend those liberties.  If a criminal is threatening innocent people, a law abiding citizens could help out in that situation. The police cannot be everywhere, all the time.  Law abiding citizens are a great help for society and make America safer.”

Afterwards, the Senator met with the crowds before going to meet Republican front runner for governor and current Lt. Gov. Phillip Scott.

Sen. Jackson Appears in Maine

Sen. Jackson had 3 stops in Maine today.  Those stops included Portland, Augusta, and Bangor.  He spoke about trade deals and rural America.

“For far too long, countries have taken advantage of America through trade deals.  We lift tariffs in all imports so their products can come in with little or no tax while the other countries institute new taxes on American goods.  This makes it impossible for American goods to be sold in those countries but floods American markets with foreign goods.  If I am elected President, countries will take advantage of America no more.  We will renegotiate current deals such as NAFTA and withdraw from new ones such as the TPP.  America will be put first again!”

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson met with the crowd and then traveled to Iowa.

Gov. Fischer Interviewed on Real Time with Bill Maher

Maher: “We’ve got a great show tonight, Al Gore’s here, we’ve got John Krasinski, Nicole Wallace, and Ralph E. Reed Jr. But first up, he’s the 62nd Governor of Maryland and he wants to be the 45th President of the United States, he’s so young he could be my son, Gov. Bruce Fischer everybody!”

*Gov. Fischer walks onto the stage, sits down with Maher*

Fischer: “Hey, Bill!”

Maher: “Hey Governor, it’s great to have you!”

Fischer: “It’s good to be here, thanks for having me.”

Maher: “OK, so, I’ve got some questions you’ll like, and some you won't. Which would you like first?”

Fischer: “How about we start with the hard ones?”

Maher: “If you say so. Abortion. You’ve said that you don’t agree with it ‘personally,’ which sounds pretty Republican of you. What do you mean by that?”

Fischer: “Well, actually, it sounds pretty Joe Biden or John Kerry of me, or pretty Christian of me. Republicans think they should be able to dictate what women do with their bodies, while I think women should be able to make those decisions for themselves. Does abortion sit well with me, morally? No, not particularly, though I don’t judge people who get abortions; I don’t think they’re bad people or anything. It just wouldn’t be my choice, personally. But as a representative of We, The People on any level, whether it be on a city council or in the White House, I think you have an obligation to leave behind your own moral convictions, to a degree, and serve the people, who elected you.”

Maher: “OK. Well, you mentioned Christianity. You’re a liberal…”

Fischer: “Yes”

Maher: “...and I’m a liberal…

Fischer: *grins* “Well, Bill, you’re a little bit more liberal than I, but yes.”

Maher: “so how can we be so different on this topic? I’ve literally made a movie called ‘Religulous,’ and you’re out there talking about how Jesus would want us to forgive those scary illegal brown people Tanton’s always talking about. You’re a smart guy, at least I think,” *audience laughs, Fischer grins* “ so how do you reconcile your politics, science, and your religion?”

Fischer: “I believe in taking my religion and the principles it teaches, like ‘love thy neighbor as yourself,’ and forgiving those who wrong you, and applying them to policy. No, it’s not a theocracy, obviously, it doesn’t even have to be seen as religious, it’s just my personal moral code. If the voters don’t like it, then by all means, don’t vote for me. But I think the American people, or at least the American left, want to see a more compassionate America when it comes to migrants, or to LGBTQ+ people, or to drug offenders, or to foreign policy or anything else, really.”

Maher: “Oh yeah, that’s right, you’re gay. Congrats on coming out, but I don’t think it’ll do you any favors politically, especially with the Jesus Freak crowd.”

Fischer: “It’s a shame, really. I mean, it’s 2016!”

Maher: “Mmm. You also support Islam and bringing in more Syrian refugees. Isn’t it true that a large number - a minority, sure, but a large number - of Muslims could be radicals? Why would you want to bring more here? And with ISIS, you’ve said that they don’t face an existential threat to the US, and that anyone who thinks so is ‘extremely unpatriotic.’ Want to explain that?”

Fischer: “Talk about sounding pretty Republican! No, it isn’t true that any large number of Muslims are radical, who are you, Frank Luntz? That’s just patently false. Islam is what Muslims want it to be, just like how Christianity is what Christians want it to be, and Atheism what atheists want it to be. If you want to turn it into an excuse to kill everybody, you can, just like with every other ideology, religious or otherwise. But if you want to turn it into a way to cope with hardships in your life, or find meaning and purpose in your life, you can too. I really don’t support caving to ISIS and instituting any kind of ban on Muslim immigration. That’s exactly what ISIS wants, is a holy war with the West. They’re a few hundred sexually frustrated twnetysomethings who bought guns, Toyota pickup trucks, and a plane ticket to Iraq after women didn’t treat them how they felt they deserved and gay people didn’t let them be mean to them anymore. They can’t possibly stand up to the best-funded military that ever existed. To imply otherwise seems horribly unpatriotic.”

Maher: “Well, we don’t agree, but moving on to the easy questions! Is climate change real?”

Fischer: “Of course! I mean Al Gore, who’s here tonight, endorsed me, so obviously yes it is.”

Maher: “Do you think it’s the most pressing issue of our time?”

Fischer: “Yes.” *crowd cheers for 30 seconds straight*

Maher: “That’s great to hear!”

Fischer: “You should ask Tanton the same question and see what he says”

Maher: *laughs* “Well, maybe he can come on the show. Anyway, you know I love pot, in fact I’m high right now. 1, Do you support legalization, and 2, have you ever tried it?”

Fischer: “You are? Wow, I would have never guessed” *Fischer, Maher, and audience all laugh* “Yes, I support legalization, and I believe we should tax recreational pot.”

Maher: “You didn’t answer the other question”

Fischer: “Well, I experimented, but I didn’t inhale” *laughter* “nah, I’m kidding, I’ve never actually tried it before. I honestly don’t even know where or when I would try it. It’s not like I had any friends growing up since I was a political nerd, and after college I went pretty much straight into public service, so no.”

Maher: “Well, you’re missing out. Last question: I have a birthday coming up, I'm turning 60 on the 20th. But it's not my 60th birthday I care much about, it's my 61st. It happens to fall on January 20th, 2017. My question is, will that be a memorable day for you too, the first day of a Fischer Administration?"

Fischer: "I sure hope so!"

Maher: "Of course you do. Give it up for Governor Fischer everybody! Ok, let’s meet our panel…”

Sen. Weathers was joined on the Iowa trail by Sen. Joe Manchin.

Sen. Weathers has beefed up her offices in Iowa for a heated Primary. She went door to door last night with Sec. Hillary Clinton, and Sen. Joe Manchin. His morning she held a rally where she was focused on farming subsidies and helping the common man. During her rally Sen. Joe Manchin came out on the stage to endorse her. He stated that the reason why he was endorsing her was to show that Blue Dog Democrats were not extinct and that he has not seen a candidate like Sen. Weathers that has put a major focus on the rural vote since Pres. Clinton. The audience were all surprised with a signed copy of Sen. Weathers book.

Her campaign released a poll that says that almost 55% of all Iowans has personally talked to Sen. Weathers.

1 minute ago, Sanser2016 said:

Sen. Weathers was joined on the Iowa trail by Sen. Joe Manchin.

Sen. Weathers has beefed up her offices in Iowa for a heated Primary. She went door to door last night with Sec. Hillary Clinton, and Sen. Joe Manchin. His morning she held a rally where she was focused on farming subsidies and helping the common man. During her rally Sen. Joe Manchin came out on the stage to endorse her. He stated that the reason why he was endorsing her was to show that Blue Dog Democrats were not extinct and that he has not seen a candidate like Sen. Weathers that has put a major focus on the rural vote since Pres. Clinton. The audience were all surprised with a signed copy of Sen. Weathers book.

Her campaign released a poll that says that almost 55% of all Iowans has personally talked to Sen. Weathers.

OOC: she's personally met 1.7 million people?!?!?!

1 minute ago, Bruce Fischer said:

IKR, I've just been disregarding some of these polls as political plays, but holy SH**

Fischer Heavily Emphasises Volunteer Work in Iowa

Gov. Fischer announced that from tomorrow until the Feb. 1st caucuses, he would be doing miscellaneous volunteer work around the state, whether it be helping out at homeless shelters and soup kitchens, or weeding an elderly citizen's yard. He stated that the only media presence allowed near him during that time is that Washington Post reporter, of whom he's grown quite fond; he doesn't want it to appear to be a publicity stunt for votes. His website will be updated with information as to where he'll be each day, so anybody who wants to personally talk to him can do so.

Tonight, however, Fischer has an event in New Hampshire...

Fischer Endorsed by NH Senator Jeanne Shaheen

At an event in Concord, New Hampshire, Gov. Fischer was endorsed by Senator Shaheen.

"I believe that Governor Fischer is the best candidate for President out there. He's smart, he's experienced, he's young, and he's got great ideas! Go out and vote for him on February 9th, and then on November 8th!"

Fischer shook hands with the Senator, and then left for South Carolina, his last stop before returning to Iowa for his volunteer projects.

Fischer Gives Speech on Drones

At a late night rally in Greenville, South Carolina, Gov. Fischer spoke about his disagreements with President Obama's drone policy.

"We need to end the sloppy, inhumane drone strikes we've been doing over the past 8 years in the Middle East. They're not that effective at getting terrorists, but they're really good at murdering civilians and striking fear into the hearts of innocent people who shouldn't have anything to worry about. We should scrap this program altogether and focus on surveillance drones."

After meeting with the crowd, Fischer flew back to Iowa.

2 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

sorry i meant 30% and forgot to put of likely voters, but it has been 4ish months

Governor Tanton flys back to Iowa; gets important endorsement!

Landing at Ames Domestic the Governor has landed in Iowa for the final long haul until Caucus night. He delivered stump speeches in surrounding Suburbs about morals and unlocking the potential of the middle class.

In other news, the Family Leader has chosen the Governor as their candidate running an op-ed praising Tanton for his Religious and moralistic views. At the end of said story, the paper said that "The Family Leader and all those associated, because of the virtues of the candidate as stated, hereby endorse the candidacy of Governor John Tanton for President! We encourage all Evangelicals to get out and caucus for this man of character and morals!" The magazine is widely read among Christian circles and will hopefully encourage large numbers of Christian Evangelical Iowans to get out and Caucus for the Governor.

Sen. Jackson Mobilizes for Iowa Caucus; Officially Endorsed by Rand Paul

Sen. Jackson had 6 stops over 2 days to meet voters before the Iowa Caucus.  He sopped in Dubuque, Vinton, Mason City, Fort Dodge, Emmetsburg, and Le Mars.  He spoke about the importance of rural America, gun rights, and about protecting the Middle Class.  Joining him was Sen. Rand Paul who was leading speculative polls last year.  Sen. Paul officially endorsed Sen. Jackson which was expected.  Sen. Paul spoke about how Sen. Jackson has protected the Constitution over the years and his proposals to reduce the size of the federal government.

“The Middle Class is what this great country is built upon.  If the Middle Class suffers, then the rest of the country will also suffer.  The government’s policies must work to protect the Middle Class.  This means finding free market solutions to the rising price of healthcare and the reduction of taxes.  I will support the Middle Class and make sure that the Washington Machine takes advantage of the great people of the Middle Class and America no more.”

Sen. Paul: “I will be voting for Sen. Jackson when the Kentucky caucus comes around.  I hope you all will do the same.  He has defended the Constitution during his time in office, and we need more politicians like that.  Sen. Jackson cares about the entire Bill of Rights and not just a picking and choosing.  He will help defeat the Washington Machine and will reduce the size of the federal government which will increase the power of the states and the people.  Please join me in voting for Sen. Mark Jackson of Kentucky when you go to the polls.”

Afterwards, the Senators met with the crowd.  Each evening, they went and helped serve food at a soup kitchen run by local charities.

It's time that we can call the Republican Iowa Caucus.

The Winner is....

John Tanton of Alabama!

g1Cj5vy.png

Now, the Democratic contest is being called, and by the slimmest margin in the history of the competition, the winner is.....

Alex Greene, of Pennsylvania 

AvaMsiP.png

Fischer Event in Iowa

"Thank you Iowa! Thanks to you, we had an exceptionally close finish, not even 700 votes! We may not have won, but we're doing pretty well, so don't despair. It's a close race! I'd like to congratulate Senator Greene on her victory, and look forward to the forthcoming primaries."

Fischer then flew to New Hampshire to hold a rally in Concord that attracted 11,000 people, then flew to South Carolina to meet with Governor Haley and Sens. Scott and Graham. Fischer will hold more events there in the coming days, and make a few stops in Georgia and other states that have primaries coming up.

Fischer Endorsed By Vice President Biden!

After meeting with the Governor and Senators from the state, Gov. Fischer held a rally in Sumter, South Carolina, at which Vice President Joe Biden was a surprise guest. The Vice President gave the following remarks:

"Hey everybody! I'd just like to say, Governor Fischer's a good man. He's got great ideas too; his education policy would revitalize our school systems, his healthcare plan would leave even less people uninsured, and his tax plans look out for the little guys and make the superrich pay their fair share for once. I think the President and I have made a lot of progress over the past 8 years, or at least as much as Congress will let us make, but I think that Governor Fischer is the right man to continue the progress we've made, and go beyond it. He's fighting for you, so let's fight for him! Vote Fischer on February 32nd-" *Fischer whispers something in Biden's ear* "-err, I mean February 27th, and again on November 8th!"

OOC: I laughed to myself at the classic Biden gaffe

7 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

OOC: I laughed to myself at the classic Biden gaffe

OOC: Once the DM gave his endorsement to me I knew I had to have him make at least one gaffe :P

Sen. Jackson Caucus Night Event

Sen. Jackson hosted an event on the night of the Iowa Caucus.  The crowd waited anxiously waited for the results to come in.  After the race was called, Sen. Jackson came out to make a speech.

“Thank you all for coming.  As you all know, the race has just been called in favor of Gov. Tanton.  I want to congratulate him on his victory tonight.  He fought hard for this one.  But, we finished a solid second.  I want to thank all my campaign staffer and volunteers for their work.  I could not have done it without you.  Now, we move onto New Hampshire where the polls are looking great.  The people of Iowa are great, and I will return to Iowa once the general election comes around in order to turn Iowa red again.”

With that, the crowd started to cheer and the Senator left the stage in order to fly to New Hampshire.

Sen_Mark_Jackson_tweet.JPG

Sen. Jackson Campaigns in New Hampshire; Endorsed by Chris Sununu

Sen. Jackson had events in Hudson, Londonderry, Salem, Laconia, and Guildhall over 2 days.  Chris Sununu joined him at those events.  Sen. Jackson and Chris Sununu endorsed each other.  At these events, the Senator spoke about the drug epidemic and terrorism.

“The drug epidemic has hit many families hard.  States like New Hampshire and Kentucky have been hit a lot harder than others, but it still effects every state.  As President, I would make the drug epidemic one of my priorities.  We must stop the inflow of drugs into our great country.  This will require securing the border and severely punishing those who sell the drugs.  Another thing that we need is an updated drug rehabilitation program.  This would help those effected by drugs get back on their feet.  Another issues that the US is confronting today is terrorism.  We must take steps to help deal with the terrorist threat.  While I agree with Gov. Fischer that ISIS cannot take on the US head on, they can do some damage to innocent civilians.  The reason terrorism is such a bug deal is because people are afraid that there could be another large scale terrorist attack in the US.  Terrorists have no chance against the US, but they can hurt the people who we love.  As President, I would send in an army to eradicate ISIS.  Once ISIS is defeated, our troops would come home.  We will not stay and prolong the conflict which would cost tax payers millions of dollars and result in more American lives.  If I am elected President, I would say radical Islamic terrorism, and I will not be enslaved by the PC police.”

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson and Chris Sununu met with the crowd before going back to Concord for the night.  The first night, they both volunteered at a local charity.

Sen_Mark_Jackson_tweet.JPG