270soft Forum
The DM

2016 Election Roleplay

Thanks for all the support guys! 

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Thanks for all the support guys! 

Get well soon. In honor of your sickness, and my impatience, it is now November 30th/December 1st

OOC: Even though everyone has said this already, hope you get well.  It seems like something is going around everywhere.  Some schools here are closing down for the week because of illness.

Sen. Jackson’s Campaign Stops in Oklahoma

Sen. Jackson’s campaign tour landed in Oklahoma for 2 days.  During his time there Sen. Jackson visited Lawton, Norman, Oklahoma City, Enid, Stillwater, and Tulsa.  In Norman, the Senator spoke to students at the University of Oklahoma and students at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater.  He spoke about education, terrorism, and immigration.  To the students, Sen. Jackson spoke about privacy and the economy.

“I want to give education policy back to the states.  The people know how to educate their children better than some bureaucrats in Washington DC.  I wouldn’t trust my kid’s future with these bureaucrats.  They do not have the best interests of the kids in mind.  But, I would trust my kid’s future with people who know the area that they are going to school in.  Local people know the best way to educate local kids and will have their best interests in mind.”

To students: “As most of you know, I am a big supporter of privacy.  I filibustered a bill that was proposed in the Senate which would have given government agencies the power to spy on you without a warrant or probable cause.  Government was trying to use the people’s fear to erode their rights.  As President, I would support your rights.  I believe in the entire Constitution and will defend it without backing down.  Even if I am not popular in Washington because of my fight for the people, I know that the people have my back.  Let’s show the Washington Machine that the people support the Constitution and privacy.”

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson met with the crowds.  Then, he traveled to Arkansas where he had a couple of events scheduled.

Sen. Jackson Endorsed by former Sen. John E. Sununu

Former Sen. John E. Sununu had a press conference today.  During it, he announced his support for Sen. Mark Jackson in the upcoming Presidential election.  He cited the Senator's time in New Hampshire and his commitment to stopping the drug crisis.  The former Senator also mentioned a possible run for his old seat in the US Senate in the future.

Sen_Mark_Jackson_tweet.JPG

Fischer Talks Crime

Gov. Fischer had a small event in Decorah, IA this evening, speaking on crime and punishment. He reiterated his support for abolishing the death penalty, and brought up Guantanamo Bay: "It's my belief that we need to permanently shut down Gitmo and either extradite the prisoners or move them to maximum security prisons in the US." Fischer also touched on community policing and race relations in policing.

It is now December 5th. Tanton is immune to inactivity penalties. 

Virginia treated Alex well, having to drive from the coast west across the state, into West Virginia, stopping in Wheeling, and Huntington on her way through to Ohio, where she spoke at a conservation event hosted beside the Ohio River. Stating:

"It is my belief, and that of ninety seven percent of scientists, that not only is climate change real, but we are causing it. Even if, as many Republicans say, we are not causing it, why should we refuse to leave a clean and pleasant environment to our children. We need to encourage adoption of carbon capturing technology through the introduction of a carbon tax. It is wrong that we continue to kill the world around us, and prioritize short term interests of wealthy benefactors over the long term stability of our way of life. "

3 hours ago, The DM said:

It is now December 5th. Tanton is immune to inactivity penalties. 

Thanks friend, I can probably do 1 short to medium piece a day. Although I do appear to be fighting through it, it may not last into the weekend.

Bennett continues his campaign in South Carolina, by stopping at SC State University in Orangeburg, SC. The Congressman joked that he is not sure if Texas brisket is better than Carolina BBQ after going to Duke's. Bennett than spoke on raising the minimum wage, to alleviate the pains of poverty has placed on rural and working Americans. "But raising the min wage will not fix all of our ills. No. It also needs a much larger safety net. I know in this state, there are many school districts where children are graduating with a reading level worse than an average fifth grader. Imagine the limitations in life one will face because they cannot critically comprehend a written piece of paper: they can get screwed through high interest loans, realize their leases are not friendly to them, or simply lack the ability to move up in the economic ladder. I've been a teacher before, so I understand the difficulties that many educators face- poor funding, lack of community support, and so on- but I was lucky to work in a well funded school district. However, not every school district shares this luxury. The state of Texas, passed a law that I have spoken fondly of when I was mayor; the Robin Hood Act. School districts with a higher tax base will allocate a small portion of their received revenue from taxes to poorer school districts to level the playing field. And guess what, it worked. Kids from Plano- whose parents work high paying jobs for Pizza Hut and J.C Penny's- received just as good of an education as those from Big Spring, a tiny rural ranching town. It worked in Texas, and it can work in the nation. It is not fair that one will have a disadvantage because they were raised in the wrong school system ."  

After the Orangeburg Rally, he then went off to Columbia to meet with immigration activist. There he stated that those in this nation, legal or illegal, can stay as long as they never committed a violent crime. He went on to saying that he was never rich- jokingly said he might the poorest president if elected- because he only $41K as a teacher, and only 60 as mayor; and because of this he and his wife live in Fort Worth's Northside(historic hispanic neighborhood) he understood that your nextdoor neighbor can be illegal. He went onto saying that when he was mayor, he worked closely with the police to insure that Fort Worth is a sanctuary city. We need to end the 3-10 Bar, and allow undocumented immigrants within this nation to apply for a green card within the US. We need to expand access to the naturalization process, and close down the inhumane detention centers. Citing the detention centers in south Texas that serviced the large number of unaccompanied minors. 

OOC: I may not be as active tomorrow since my Congressman Mark Sanford (SC-1st) will be holding a town hall tomorrow, and I will be attending it. 

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

OOC: I may not be as active tomorrow since my Congressman Mark Sanford (SC-1st) will be holding a town hall tomorrow, and I will be attending it. 

OOC: You mean shouting him down so he cannot speak? :P

OOC: Yep. I am going bring an airhorn and blast it when ever he tries talking. And then talk really loudly on my cell phone.

OOC: Cmon, thats a Former Governor.

Sen. Jackson Campaigns in Arkansas

Sen. Jackson had campaign stops in Arkansas over two days.  He stopped in Pine Bluff, Little Rock, Conway, Fort Smith, and Fayetteville. In Fayetteville, Sen. Jackson spoke to students at University of Arkansas.  He spoke about terrorism, the campaign, and taxes.  To students, he spoke about the importance of getting out to vote.

"I know that Sen. Ackermann from here in Arkansas is in the race, but I want to campaign in all 50 states.  I think that the people need to hear from the candidates to make the best choice when at the ballot box.  I want the people to hear my ideas, so even though the Sen. has the advantage here, I wanted to make a few stops in Arkansas.  It is important for people to be informed about people that are supposed to represent them in Washington.  I want to hear the people's concerns because it is important for the representatives to hear from the people.  If the representatives stop listening to the people that they are supposed to represent, then democracy in America will suffer."

To students: "I know that it can be hard to get out and vote sometimes.  College students are very busy and do not have a lot of free time.  But, it is necessary to vote if you want your voice heard.  I will represent all Americans whether you voted for me or against me.  If you are physically able, make sure to get out and vote in both the primary and general election."

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson met with voters and then traveled to Texas.

Sen. Jackson Swings through Texas

Sen. Jackson had a couple more stops in Texas over 2 days.  Those included Abilene, Dallas, Plano, Arlington, Killeen, and Round Rock.  He spoke about immigration, reducing the size of the federal government, and energy policy.

“Thank you for coming today.  Who here thinks that the federal government isn’t doing enough and should be doing more?  *loud boos*  That is exactly what I am thinking.  Who is tired of the federal government trying to interfere in every part of your lives?  *loud cheers*  As President, I will push to reduce the size of government and give things such as education back to the states where they belong.  For far too long the government has tried to continue to increase its control over the people and the private sector.  I want the people to be able to live in a way that they decide not some cronies in Washington.  I want the people to choose their education style not some bureaucrats who do not know anything about local areas.  Do you agree?  *loud cheers*  Let’s show the Washington Machine that we are tired of them sucking up more and more power.  Another thing that I would do as President would be laying off of the over use of EPA regulations which are not even voted on.  These bureaucrats are not accountable to the people which removes a check that the people have on the bureaucracy and the government.  I will make sure that the people can hold their government accountable if their government wants to pursue restrictions that hurt the economy.  Finally, I want to talk about immigration.  Many Americans have been affected by illegal immigration.  Drugs and illegal gins have flooded across the border.  Illegals are taking jobs that Americans can work and send that money back to their home country.  As President, I will secure the border and will deport those who broke the law to come to America.  We cannot reward lawbreakers or more lawbreakers will flood across the border bringing more drugs and illegal guns with them.  Not all of these people are bad, but they still broke the law coming here.  I want good people to be able to come to America, but they must come in LEGALLY.  They must follow the process.  Also, I would suspend immigration from countries that have a heavy terrorist presence and failed states.  In Paris, radical Islamic terrorists came in through thee refugee program and killed over 1 hundred people.  Just recently, radical Islamic terrorists attacked San Bernardino.  One of them came from the Middle East.  I will attempt to keep the bad people out of the country.  I do not care what the PC Machine says about my plans.  I care about America and American lives.”

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson met with people in the crowd before leaving to campaign in Louisiana.

Timothy Parish's Presidential Bid

A late arrival in the Republican Primary, Gov. Timothy Parish of Utah decided to put up his bid for the presidency today. 

Speaking on the steps of the State Legislature, Parish announced his campaign amidst a crowd of fans. A local favorite of Utah and the surrounding states, his name carries a lot of weight among several demographics in the American West.

"The United States as of late has become a nation more closely resembling Rome in the days of Julius Caesar than the greatest nation to ever grace the earth.  The same nation that won two world wars, was and is a beacon of liberty, and became the most powerful military and economic superpower ever known to man has become corrupt and politically divided to an unhealthy extent. While our leaders once were filled with integrity, honor, and diligence. Today our politicians lack these qualities on a scale as unseen since the gilded age of the late 1800s. Now, more than ever, our public servants need to be reminded of their job description: officials appointed of, by, and FOR the people. The American people are upstanding, hardworking, and intelligent. We owe it to them to get our act together, and be the politicians they deserve. As of today, I am running for the office of the President of the United States. If you the people give me the privilege, I swear to make America of, by, and for the people again now and forever!"

Following the speech, his first stop was a political rally in Las Vegas Nevada, where he spoke with local politicians - notably Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nevada) - about the importance of a flat tax and repealing the Patriot act, in addition to reigning in the collection of data from American citizens, which Parish described as an infringement by the government on citizens' rights to privacy. His use of the internet and social media in his campaign, seems to target younger audiences, as older demographics seem favorable to him if his record in Utah - the conservative state and home of the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormonism) - is to be an indication. At the end of the rally, he announces his upcoming tour plans. Next on the list is a stop in California, then it's off to Iowa and New Hampshire. Either way, the unexpected introduction of a new candidate into an already competitive race is sure to shake up the political dynamic even more.

Governor Tanton arrives in IA ... again!

Arriving in Des Moines National Airport departing from a commercial flight, as the Governor doesn't and has never liked private planes, the tarmac surrounding the plane was filled and the airport had to close flights as thousands of Iowans flooded onto the landing strip. The Governor gave a "It's great to be back" speech.

What did I say Iowa! I told ya I'd be back! Ah it's great to be here. Now this visit will be shorter than the last *boos* I know I know. I'm disappointed too. But yall know with Advent and Christmas thats a time for hearth and home. For good Christian families to be together and to share a moment in Christ the Savior and reflect in our own  salvation. But hey, that doesn't mean I can't take a week or two to come back up here to one of my favorite spots and spend some time with some real Americans. Americans that understand the importance of what I like to call the 4 Gs God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy! That's a little slogan I came up back when I was a pastor for a small town just north'a Mobile. I remember one woman, came not just every Sunday, but every single day, and she donated eery day too. Her name was Margerie. I tell you she was the model Christian, I mean really she donated everyday A little old thing, she was on Social Security and she knew she could count on it. Well one day I remember not seeing Margerie in our "Faith, Family, Fellowship" after Church meeting. It turns out she had moved into a better place, I will admit as I officiated her funeral there were tears, but the point is, we have great devout and patriotic seniors here with us now like Margerie and we are cheating them out of their Social Security money that they already use quite generously. I say that that is one of the biggest Abominations today in America. Thanks you Iowa I am happy to be back and I will fight for you. And as you know especially those who can't!

Busy 2 Weeks for Sen. Weathers

Sen. Weathers found herself in El Paso over the last weekend rallying for immigration reform including legalizing undocumented peoples. She met briefly with some of the attendees. She had Lunch with the mayor of El Paso and with Fmr. State Sen. Wendy Davis. She drove to Phoenix Arizona to have a town hall which included a surprise appearance by Fmr. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. They both drove to the University of Arizona where they spoke jointly on the importance of gun control. "I am a member of the NRA and I strongly support our constitutional authority to own guns outlined in the second amendment, but we need to start looking into common sense gun legislation. People on the no-fly list should not be able to obtain a weapon, we shouldn't be able to won assault rifles, explosive weapons, or semi-assault rifles, and we need background check at gun shows. We need to start looking out for our kids and we need to stop making it so easy for a criminal or a mentally insane person to obtain a gun." After the Town hall Sen. Weathers met with the guests and students. That Monday Sen. Weathers drove to Nevada to make her case once again for nationwide legalized gambling at a rally. She ate with Sen. Harry Reid at a local sandwich shop. She met with citizens of Reno for most of the day taking pictures and signing books and other memorabilia. That Tuesday she drove to the University of Nevada to once again speak about the importance of college. She had to leave early due to not feeling so good. She apologized on Facebook. She was seen late Tuesday night at a sorority get together that her niece attends. Wednesday she flew to make an appearance at  the University of Iowa. She spoke about affordable college and free tuition. She bought pizza for all the people who attended the speech. She drove to ceder rapids to have another rally mainly on the importance of renewable energy speaking about how it could help fight climate change and help the everyday man. She spent the night and flew early Thursday morning to Florida where she met with Cuban dissidents who had fled Cuba. She invited them to come to her rally that day in Miami. At the rally she said "It is really sad that we have had many people these last few years having to flee to the U.S. to avoid Castro's regime. We have sat idly by as our world has become corrupt by such dictators. We sat by in the 1940's and watched at the war monstrosities that Nazi Germany and Imperialist Japan committed killed millions. Well no more I call on now that the U.N. do something about the world's dictators. Kony, Kim-Jong Un, Castro, Putin, and Al-Assad and Ali Khamenei. The U.N. needs to have an investigation into their reigns and make them answer for their crimes they have committed." Sen. Weathers shared an emotional hug with her guests at the rally. She met with the entire Democratic congressional envoy. She had lunch speaking of the importance Florida's issues. She spent the rest of the day at Florida's state university speaking about college and the importance of the economy. She used her Friday to drive to New York stopping along small towns along the way. Saturday morning she ate breakfast with Sen. Schumer, Sen. Gillibrand, and Gov. Cuomo. She spoke at the University of New York about once again the importance of college and why it should be free. She had her biggest rally yet where there was a surprised appearance by Fmr. Sec. of State Hillary Clinton who endorsed her. Clinton said "Sen. Weathers is one of the most courageous women I know of. She represents the everyday American. She fights against those who stack the odds in their favor and wants to bring the wealth back to your pockets. She is a strong woman who has shown her strength. As many of you already know I ran eight years ago and one of the things I regret everyday is not being able to serve you all in the White House, but that's in the past. Today I see someone new , someone who can help contribute to the American dream that so many have before her. We need our first female President and I believe that Sen. Weathers is her." The two women shared a hug and walked into the huge crowd of almost 25 000 people. She met with as many as possible, till almost midnight. She flew to New Hampshire where she spoke in Derby about LGBT rights. She spent the weekend going from small town to small town having rallies ranging from 50 people to 5 000 people. On Monday She flew back to Iowa where she pledged to stay for the next coupe of weeks. She spent Monday night at the governor's mansion talking to the Governor Branstad about the issues Iowa faces and what she could do to help. On Tuesday she spent helping out in the soup kitchens and homeless shelters around Iowa City. On Wednesday Hillary Clinton and her had a rally in Des Moines focusing on the wage gap and college. On Thursday Sen. Weathers had an intimate lunch with her husband. Afterwards she drove back to ceder rapids where she had a town hall and a rally both focusing on subsidized farming. Friday she spent in her Iowa campaign HQ making calls and meeting with supporters. Saturday she met with Sen. Ernst and Sen. Grassley. She had an intense debate about abortion with them and had lunch. Saturday afternoon she met with supporters in Sioux City. On Sunday she had a town hall in Cedar Falls and afterwards too the night off to rest.

Fischer In IA, Talks About Unity, PATRIOT Act, Hillary Clinton

At a town hall-style event in Cedar Rapids, Gov. Fischer took many questions, several of which were interesting.

Asked about Gov. Timothy Parish's entrance into the race: "I think it's great and I wish him luck. We agree on several issues, and our foreign policy is actually similar in some areas. I hope he shares my undying passion for uniting this great nation. In any case, I look forward to facing him or any of the other Republicans should we be our party's nominees."

Asked about the PATRIOT Act: "As I've said before, dismantling the surveillance state would be a top priority of mine if I were to be elected President. It's my belief that the Constitution, specifically the 4th Amendment in the Bill of Rights, guarantees the right to a reasonable amount of privacy, and that the PATRIOT Act is quite unpatriotic and clearly violates this right, and is therefore unconstitutional."

Asked about Hillary Clinton's endorsement of Sen. Weathers: "I respect Secretary Clinton and her service to her country. That said, she represents everything wrong with politics. She flip-flops like a pancake, has a dubious relationship with the truth, and, with that email server they found a few months ago, potentially left state secrets unsecured. I don't think she should necessarily be thrown in jail, but the email situation should be looked into further. I'm glad the email scandal emerged riiiight before she was about to jump into the race and made her decide against a 2016 run. I'm afraid the Democrats would basically clear the way for her, but she'd probably lose in the general, hopefully not to some populist demagogue. If the Republican were someone unpopular enough, maybe she'd win the popular vote by like, maybe, I don't know, say 2,864,974 votes, or 2.1%, but she'd probably lose states like PA, WI, and MI by extremely small margins and only net, like, 232 electoral votes. Even if she won, she'd be hampered by the do-nothing obstructionist Congress, and her administration would be plagued by scandal, real and manufactured. Good thing she never ran again amirite?"

Politics are weird today

So Gov. Fischer gave an oddly specific sounding tweet speech yesterday and Governor Tanton responded with another oddly specific answer.

tweet44.PNG

Again. ASK ME BEFORE YOU ENDORSE. NEXT TIME THERE WILL BE SCANDALOUS CONSEQUENCES. sigh

Supreme Court upholds Lower Court Decision; Alabama Abortion Ban Declared Unconstitutional. 

In a highly controversial 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court has ruled the Abortion Ban enacted in Alabama and signed by Governor John Tanton to be unconstitutional. Protests by both sides are expected to last long into the night, but the court refuses to overturn Roe v. Wade in the case known as Parker v. Alabama. Parker, in this case, was an Alabama woman who was told that if she carried her child to term, not only could it not survive with it's malformation, but it could kill her as well. In an earlier interview, governor Tanton said that such cases were "in the hands of God" but Parker disagreed, and so did five of the nine justices in the court, including Justice Kennedy. The ruling will likely be a source of controversy for decades to come

Bennett traveled to Nevada. His first stop was in Nevada, there he spoke on raising the minimum wage, and protecting service sector employees. Saying that he will be the first pro-union president arguably in over a 100 years. He met with Cortaz-Masto (the Democratic candidate for the Senate) and Harry Reid on appealing to casino employees. And promised that if both of us( Cortez-Masto and Bennett) we will work hard to weaken Citizen's United to establish fair elections.

His next stop would be in Carson City, there  he went on working to establish federal pension program for the elderly. Saying that all American's should be able to invest into the Federal Thrift Savings Plan. Citing that many Americans do not have enough income to retire with dignity and not rely on a job to help pay for bills. Many elderly folks try rationing their pills because their Part D supplement could not cover all their medical cost. Vowing that he will allow private citizens to enjoy the same benefits that he and his staff enjoy. 

His next stop would be in Denver, where he spoke to environmentalist on vowing to expand the US's investment into Green energies. Saying that the US was the leader for the last century because we were the leaders of the internal combustion engine, and now inorder to lead the 21st, we need to lead once again in a new field.  

Bennett said he will be flying back to D.C to vote on several pieces of legislation, and then plan on campaigning back in Texas and Oklahoma. 

Sen. Jackson Rolls into Louisiana

Sen. Jackson had some stops in Louisiana over 2 days.  The stops included Benton, Lakes Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and Gretna.  In Baton Rouge, he spoke to students at LSU after his main event.  The Senator spoke about taxes, immigration, and the Washington Machine.  To the students, he spoke about how his tax policy would make it easier for them to pay off any debt that they incur.

“I want to take on the Washington Machine.  For far too long, Washington has soaked up more and more power taking it from the people as well as the state and local governments.  I will stop this trend and return powers to the people and the states.  I will also get the government off of the people’s backs.  My flat tax plan will give the people more money to spend on what they want it spent on.  People as well as businesses need to money for the economy to grow. My tax and regulatory plan will give both more money to spend which will spur economic growth giving more money to the people and businesses.  We can do this together.  My campaign is carried by the people.  I will need all of you if we are going to be successful.  Make sure to get out and vote, but also tell your friends, neighbors, and family to vote.  Let’s show the Washington Machine that the people are fed up with it and want something different.”

To students: “When I was in college, I had to take on some debt to further my education.  I understand the struggles that you must go through.  It was only a few years ago that I was able to fully pay off my loans.  But, I want to make it easier for students to pay their loans.  My tax plan will allow students to keep more of the money that they earn which can be used to pay of loans.  It will also create an environment where graduates have more opportunities to get quality, high paying jobs which are needed to pay off loans.”

Afterwards, Sen. Jackson met with the crowds.  Then, he returned to Washington, D.C. for a few votes before leaving to go to Alabama.

John H. Sununu Endorses Sen. Jackson

Former Gov. John H. Sununu officially endorsed Sen. Mark Jackson for President.  He released a statement to the press, and the news was broke today.  In it Gov. Sununu stated, “I am completely confident in Sen. Jackson’s ability to govern the nation.  He did a great job as Governor, and he has defended the Constitution during his time in Congress.  Sen. Jackson is experienced with the law which is shown by his law degree and time as Attorney General of Kentucky.  He is committed to appointing a person to the Supreme Court, if necessary, that will defend the Constitution.  And, he has shown his interest in New Hampshire which is proven by his many stops in all parts of this great state.  I will be casting my vote for Sen. Jackson, and I hope the great people of New Hampshire will do the same.”  Later in the day, former Gov. Sununu appeared on Fox and confirmed his support.