270soft Forum
LokiLoki22

Political Roleplaying?

I was wondering if we could have little debates in here, and keep a poll of who would be the best president based on 1. Viewpoints, 2. Evidence, 3.Charisma, I might even run simulated elections depending on multiple variables. You may have two characters, in different parties, and you must post which one you are posting as. Press releases, major events (within reason), and decisions can also go in here. I will literally roll a 20 sided dice to see how well an action goes, but your phrasing and reason could be the difference between five people showing up to a rally, and a major gaffe on an important issue.

Requirements

Name (of candidate NOT personal):

Party:

Home State:

Ethnicity (so I can churn how minority blocs will vote):

Previous position:

Claims to fame/description:

Do NOT use real people.

Name: Alex Greene

Party: Democrat

Home State: Pennsylvania

Ethnicity (so I can churn how minority blocs will vote): White

Previous position: Senator (8 years so far), Pennsylvania State Senate (Erie), and Erie school board member, local Democratic Party Chairman. 

Claims to fame/description: A young senator from Pennsylvania, Alex Greene combines center-left politics with reformist rhetoric, and is was elected by a decent margin. She would be the first female president, if elected. Being younger, could pose a problem if the "fresh face" campaign doesn't turn it to an advantage. A new deal Democrat in every sense of the word, Greene hopes that her not so new form of liberalism that focuses on giving the poor government jobs, not free checks, will win over moderates sick of out of control welfare spending, while improving the nation's infrastructure. She believes that a trimmed and streamlined budget, combined with raising taxes only slightly, and eliminating loopholes can eliminate the federal deficit. The military is one of the "untouchable" programs that she intends to trim down, as is Medicare and Medicaid, which she intends to replace with a more efficient and covering single payer system. By her, free trade is definitely a good idea, cutting prices and giving a boost to the economy. The most radical part about her, economically, is her belief that government corporations, like Amtrak, should be expanded and allowed to grow, to encourage competition in uncompetitive markets and oligopolies. Socially, she is closer to a Libertarian than a modern Democrat, a product of growing up in Erie, a socially moderate area. She believes that there is no compelling reason to legislate morality, and that abortion and the death penalty are better left up to the states, even if she disagrees with how they decide. Politically, she is vocally against gerrymandering,and would like a federal commission on it. 

Name: Christian Jay Ackermann

Party: Republican

Home State: Arkansas

Previous positions: Arkansas House district 57 1986 - 1988, Arkansas Senate district 15 1988 - 1998, Arkansas Attorney General 1999 - 2005, Senator since January 3rd, 2005 (12 years so far) - defeated Blanche Lincoln in 2004 :P

Claims to fame/description: Ackermann is an icon in Southern politics. The staunch conservative from rural Arkansas represents both economic interests and traditional values. Described by some as a neoconservative he holds a strong appeal with Christian voters. Can he win the election?

Sounds interesting

Name: Bruce Rutherford Fischer

Home State: Maryland

Ethnicity: White

Previous Positions: Governor of Maryland since 2014 (beat Anthony Brown in primaries, then beat Hogan in general), U.S. representative for MD-2 from 2002-2014

Claims to fame/description: At only 36 years old, he would be the youngest president ever elected, just barely eking past the Constitutional minimum of 35. He has center-left political views on most issues, but also believes in a fiscally responsible government. Nuclear nonproliferation, non-interventionist foreign policy, and cutting wasteful and unnecessary government spending are central themes to his campaign. 

Name: Lowell Trowbridge

Home State: Massachusetts

Previous Positions: President of Harvard University 2016-present; Former UN Ambassador 2008-2016; Former Governor of Massachusetts 2004-2008; Former Senator of Massachusetts 2000-2004; Former US Rep for Massachusetts 1998-2000; former President of the New England Historical Society 1996-1998; Presidential Regional Campaign Manager in 1996 for New England. 

Claim to Fame/Description: At 47, Trowbridge has held a wide range of positions in government for his age. He combines a progressive ideology, but holds an old world sophistication that one would find in mid-19th century New England Whig. While a progressive, he will adopt policies from conservatives if he feels that their ideas might be the only way to move forward. He believes in rapid progress in technology, politics, society, education, foreign policy, etc., believing that ultimately society must work harmoniously together for the sake of human survival. He is a big proponent in funding NASA, space colonization, and efforts to create peace, harmony and equality on Earth. He's highly and openly critical of societal anti-intellectualism, which he finds rampant in much of the world, including in the United States, and which he thinks could lead to the downfall of human existence. Unlike some progressives, he is moderate in some areas and will often clash with mainstream liberals, who he feels often adhere to an ideology rather than to common sense progressive legislation that is much more popular than cookie-cutter Democrat solutions. More controversially, he believes in an opt-out clause for states to nullify some Federal Laws, but not ones in regards to human rights (Gay Marriage, anti-discrimination) and safety (Food and Drugs administration), believing that allowing states to opt-out (albeit at the cost of some Federal funding for their state) if they build their own replacement, they will be less likely to opposed government solutions, and by having to convince states to join in, the option for states to opt out will make the government more competitive in finding better solutions. 

Name: Mark Jackson

Home State: Kentucky; note: lived in Illinois until age 13 and still has many friends and family there

Previous Positions: Kentucky state house district 39: 1992-1999; Kentucky state house minority leader 1997-1999; US Congressman 6th Congressional District: 1999-2004; Attorney General of Kentucky 2004-2007; Governor of Kentucky 2007-2015; Senator 2015-present; Chair of the Kentucky GOP 2007-present

Claims to fame/description: Mark Jackson first entered politics by winning a seat in the state House of Kentucky at the age of 25.  At the time, pundits were stunned at his victory in a pretty Democratic leaning district. His success was related to him being educated locally at Asbury College and University of Kentucky College of Law.  Jackson was heavily involved in student politics as a college student.  After some time in the state house, he ran and won a narrow race for the 6th Congressional district seat in the US Congress. He won re-election twice pretty easily as his approval ratings were high.  Because of his popularity, Jackson decided to run for Attorney General of Kentucky.  His huge base of support in the 6th District lead him to a pretty comfortable win in both the primary and general election.  After his term as Attorney General, he decided to run for governor and won there pretty easily.  At the same time, the state party deiced to elect Jackson as chair of the state party because of his success.  After a vigorous campaign season, Gov. Jackson successfully helped the Republicans take a 56-43-1 advantage in the state House for the first time in almost 90 years in 2008.  His time as governor saw the repeal of the prevailing wage, elimination of the income tax with a slight raise in the sales tax, the lowering of the gas tax with tolls used instead, the legalization of marijuana for both medical and recreational use, the start of a fix to the pensions system, the legalization of gambling, a 20-week ban on abortion, the defunding of Planned Parenthood, and the passages of right to work legislation.  In 2014, Gov. Jackson successfully challenges long term Senator Mitch McConnell in the primaries and became Kentucky's 42nd class 2 Senator.  His campaign was based on libertarian and conservative principles.  Despite being heavily involved in state politics, he had appeal among those wanting someone outside of the establishment.  At age 48, he is a rising star in the Republican Party.

Name: Isaac Bennett (born 09/25/76)

Home State: Texas

Present Position: US Congressman Texas 33rd District (2013-present). Member of the Education and Workforce Committee,and Vice-Chair Congressional Progressive Caucus.  

Previous Positions: Mayor of Fort Worth 2007-2013. Fort Worth City Council District 3 member 1999-2007. High school teacher since 1999-2007. Teacher of the year once-2005. 

Claims to fame/description: First winning his first campaign race right out of college by going door to door, saying "A fresh face for a fresh century." He fought hard to insure that the rapid rate of fracking in Fort Worth would have some limits: limiting their close proximity to schools, parks, and lakes. Adding onto his tenure as city councilman, he helped oversee the revitalization of the old Linwood neighborhood of near west Fort Worth that was ravaged by the 2000 Tornado. Despite not keeping his promise on keeping the Tandy Center(a downtown shopping mall), he did make up for it by converting the old warehouses along 7th street to an urban shopping center as mayor in 2010. During his tenure as mayor, the city began building its first serious public works projects. With the Great Recession serving as an undercurrent, Bennett managed to create a bond program to minimize the number of homes being foreclosed, and worked closely with developers to create low income housing-critics have accused him of strong arming developers into building mixed income housing in neighborhoods that would normally be middle to upper middle class housing development. While his goal of a rail line connecting southwest Tarrant County to the northeast sector didn't come to reality during his tenure, he did start the aggressive groundwork the TEXrail project. In 2009, a gay club- Rainbow Lounge- was raided by the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission(TABC), and in almost career ending move, Bennett said the next day, "These actions should not and will not reflect the values of our city. This city knows that Jennings street has a special history that should be respected, and so should those that go down that street.." Alluding to that neighborhood being the historic focal point for the gay community of the city.  Going back to his teaching roots, the mayor began an initially controversial program: elective busing. Allowing students to choose which high school they want to attend within the school district. Building off of this, to prevent a new version of White-flight, he worked closely with the school board to have each school district specialize in a field of studies( health science, vocational trades, humanities, arts).  Defying odds of being a white Jewish man, Bennett won the Democratic primary for the newly created minority-majority district; which insured an all but certain victory for the former mayor. In the House, the freshman Congressman became a vocal proponent for the DREAM ACT, and Common Core- once again going back to his teaching roots.

Oooh, i want to play!

Name of candidate: Jerry Zahn

Party: Green

Home State: California

Ethnicity (so I can churn how minority blocs will vote): white

Previous position: San Jose city council member

Claims to fame/description: The son of a self-made Silicon Valley multi-millionaire, Gerald "Jerry" Zahn is a former college baseball star who enjoyed a "cup of coffee" in the big leagues. In his college days, he was linked with certain illegal activism, but was never formally charged.

Zahn has served on San Jose city council for eight years, originally elected as an Independent with a mostly self-funded campaign, but soon formally switched his affiliation to Green. His policy stances on nearly all issues are weighted in the environment almost (some would say definitely) to extremism.

2 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

You guys should create these characters in this political sim game and then run against each other.

http://oppressive.games/power/map.php

This is meant as a bit more of a private thing, but your suggestion is appreciated and I might look into that siye further 

11 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

You guys should create these characters in this political sim game and then run against each other.

http://oppressive.games/power/map.php

I was just looking at the list again and thinking this will make a hell of a nice PI scenario, especially if @LokiLoki22 plays his role as DM well and if someone joins as a Libertarian. (Come on, i know some are on this forum...)

2 minutes ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

I was just looking at the list again and thinking this will make a hell of a nice PI scenario, especially if @LokiLoki22 plays his role as DM well and if someone joins as a Libertarian. (Come on, i know some are on this forum...)

I may be able to round someone up. I also have an experienced D&D DM whispering tips in my ear. I do not know how he got there. 

Name (of candidate NOT personal): Sandy Weathers

Party: Democratic

Home State: Texas

Previous position: Texas State Legislator (1989-1995) Texas State Senator (1995-2003) (Senate Minority leader 2000-2003) U.S. Senator from Texas (2003-Present) 

Claims to fame/description: Sen. Weathers is a skilled lawyer and former Republican strategist, opting for leaving the party in 1992 following the disastrous campaign of Pres. George H.W. Bush. Even though a Democrat she has moderate values and is able to win state wide elections in the deep red state of Texas. She is well respected on both sides of the aisle and is considered the Mother of the current Texas Democratic Party. 

Name (of candidate NOT personal): William Barkley

Home State: Michigan

Previous position: Governor of Michigan 2014-present
Michigan Senator 2000-2014, 
Michigan Chairman of Republican Party: 1991-2000,
City Council member of Detroit 1987-1991
Small business owner: 1979-1999 (sold to focus on political career and upcoming senate run)

Claims to fame/description: Barkely is an a moderate member of the Republican Party that has championed his bipartisan efforts to rebuild and repair Michigan throughout his long political career. He favors tax cuts to small business owners, generous time restrictions of abortions, and a mix between prioritizing profit and environmental effects without infringing on the free market. He has vocally supported the Republican Party throughout his life, though he has pushed for the more moderate wing to coalesce around certain candidates, and was considered to be on the short list for McCain's secretary of labor, had McCain won the 2008 presidential election. 

Barkely is often accused of being too pragmatic or without the fervor of his more conservative counterparts, but that is what has drawn him so much political attention as well. He has behaved himself rationally during political appearances and debates, having clear messages delivered through concise statements. His focus on bipartisan efforts to improve the nation are hailed by his supporters, but he drew fire for making a rare attack against the Republican Party for the gridlock that occurred under the Obama administration. He played a chief part in the negotiation of the Affordable Care Act, but has expressed his regrets for the program, stating that it was a failure of a policy that has harmed more middle class and working families than it has benefited. 

His bipartisan, moderate, pragmatic charm has garnered him respect on the national stage, and he's regarded among the party just as highly as other members such as Lindsey Graham and Jon Huntsman, but he's not quite the stars that Rubio and Cruz were meant to be. However, his Presidential campaign is catching wind, and he hopes to bring his cooperative vision to the White House, whether it be as President, Vice President, or within the cabinet. 

16 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

I may be able to round someone up. I also have an experienced D&D DM whispering tips in my ear. I do not know how he got there. 

"use the +2 mace ... use the +2 mace..."

10 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

Name (of candidate NOT personal): William Barkley

Home State: Michigan

Previous position: Governor of Michigan 2014-present
Michigan Senator 2000-2014, 
Michigan Chairman of Republican Party: 1991-2000,
City Council member of Detroit 1987-1991
Small business owner: 1979-1999 (sold to focus on political career and upcoming senate run)

Claims to fame/description: Barkely is an a moderate member of the Republican Party that has championed his bipartisan efforts to rebuild and repair Michigan throughout his long political career. He favors tax cuts to small business owners, generous time restrictions of abortions, and a mix between prioritizing profit and environmental effects without infringing on the free market. He has vocally supported the Republican Party throughout his life, though he has pushed for the more moderate wing to coalesce around certain candidates, and was considered to be on the short list for McCain's secretary of labor, had McCain won the 2008 presidential election. 

Barkely is often accused of being too pragmatic or without the fervor of his more conservative counterparts, but that is what has drawn him so much political attention as well. He has behaved himself rationally during political appearances and debates, having clear messages delivered through concise statements. His focus on bipartisan efforts to improve the nation are hailed by his supporters, but he drew fire for making a rare attack against the Republican Party for the gridlock that occurred under the Obama administration. He played a chief part in the negotiation of the Affordable Care Act, but has expressed his regrets for the program, stating that it was a failure of a policy that has harmed more middle class and working families than it has benefited. 

His bipartisan, moderate, pragmatic charm has garnered him respect on the national stage, and he's regarded among the party just as highly as other members such as Lindsey Graham and Jon Huntsman, but he's not quite the stars that Rubio and Cruz were meant to be. However, his Presidential campaign is catching wind, and he hopes to bring his cooperative vision to the White House, whether it be as President, Vice President, or within the cabinet. 

Ah but is he related to Sir Charles...?

1 hour ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

"use the +2 mace ... use the +2 mace..."

SCANDAL!! HE USED AN ELVEN MACE ON HIS DEBATE OPPONENT! ROLL FOR CHARISMA SAVE. 

22 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

SCANDAL!! HE USED AN ELVEN MACE ON HIS DEBATE OPPONENT! ROLL FOR CHARISMA SAVE. 

This website should have hearts or stars so that i can give this comment one and complain about how i can't give it a few thousand more.

@LokiLoki22 hope I'm not too late....

Name: John Tanton

Home State: Alabama

Previous position: Congressman:1987-2005 Senator: from 2005-2013 Governor: 2013- 

Claims to fame/description: John Tanton is an Evangelical Baptist conservative born in 1954 in Birmingham Alabama. He comes from a very modest upbringing and was the son of a Pastor. He is a very conservative politician and always was very controversial, a former Democrat, Tanton is not dedicated to his party and special interests, but to his values and people. Against many liberal social reforms. Steadfast against abortion and gay "marriage" he is honey to Southern Religious people but vinegar to many Liberals and even moderates.  Tanton has been the Chair of the Heritage Foundation since 2007 and is very dedicated. Can Tanton bring his Far-Right vision of America to fruition and win?

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, Take Me to La Riva said:

His policy stances on nearly all issues are weighted in the environment almost (some would say definitely) to extremism.

Who cares about Radical Islamic terrorism when you can recycle

10 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

@LokiLoki22 hope I'm not too late....

Name: John Tanton

Home State: Alabama

Previous position: Congressman:1987-2005 Senator: from 2005-2013 Governor: 2013- 

Claims to fame/description: John Tanton is an Evangelical Baptist conservative born in 1954 in Birmingham Alabama. He comes from a very modest upbringing and was the son of a Pastor. He is a very conservative politician and always was very controversial, a former Democrat, Tanton is not dedicated to his party and special interests, but to his values and people. Against many liberal social reforms. Steadfast against abortion and gay "marriage" he is honey to Southern Religious people but vinegar to many Liberals and even moderates.  Tanton has been the Chair of the Heritage Foundation since 2007 and is very dedicated. Can Tanton bring his Far-Right vision of America to fruition and win?

Never too late, this is still early, the more variety, the better! 

7 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

I like to recycle policy points! 

I am now drowning in spreadsheets. This is fun. I am enjoying this.

4 hours ago, The DM said:

I am now drowning in spreadsheets. This is fun. I am enjoying this.

Excel 97 Never worked so hard.

On 2/14/2017 at 7:24 AM, LokiLoki22 said:
On 2/16/2017 at 6:07 AM, The DM said:

On 2/15/2017 at 11:01 PM, JohnnyK said:

Soooo .... i guess you don't believe the Pentagon's stance since 1999 that climate change will be/is a top national security concern, then? (Not that i'm necessarily advocating such a viewpoint; i'm just role-playing the character's. Although i do advocate that viewpoint.)

Name: Timothy Parish

Home State: Utah

Previous position(s): Salt Lake City District Attorney (1990-94) Salt Lake City Mayor (1994-98) Utah Senator (1998-2004) Utah Governor (2004-present)

Claims to fame/description: Born and raised in Utah, Timothy parish went to Stanford university for his undergraduate education, and would go on to graduate from Columbia Law school. After college, he returned to his home state and worked as a lawyer from 1998-1990, when he won the office for the district attorney. His campaign centered around his accomplishments as a criminal prosecutor, notably his breakthrough case wherein he successfully convicted the leaders of the biggest crime syndicate west of the Mississippi for their actions - ranging from the case instigating assassination of the lieutenant-governor of Utah, to criminal actions at casinos, to drug and human trafficking, to bribery. 

As district attorney, he won a reputation for his incorruptibility and moral upstanding. When he ran for mayor, he was an easy choice for the locals, and ever since he's been the prodigal son of Utah. Now, in 2016, he's decided to throw his hat into the ring, despite the election being crowded with many strong candidates.

Some key political point of his platform include:

-Abortion: should only be allowed within the first trimester, or in instances wherein the birth stands to harm the mother

-NSA/Patriot act, etc.: the government serves the people, and as such their illegal spying on the American people should be stopped unless warrants have been signed by a judge for a specific instance of suspected criminal activity/terrorism

-Taxes: equal taxation for ALL. One flat tax rate, no matter the income level. Some tax breaks can be kept, as in for people under 30K being completely exempt from taxation, but otherwise the flat rate is 9.5% businessea who produce in America and start new factories here will receive a 50% tax cut for 10 years of they majority of their products are made in America - the specific "majority" being so defined as 66% of a given company's goods or components of goods being made in the United States. 

-Foreign policy: Russia's actions of expansion are not to be tolerated, but the key is diplomacy. Putin is only acting out of desperation, and if a deal is made he can be brought to heel. China is a powerful trading partner, and but we need to work together to accomplish our goals safely, as opposed to the current model of Chinese politics. Cultivating our relationship with Southeast Asia and India are especially important, and helping their economies and governments develop will help them grow into powerful allies as developed nations. 2nd and 3rd world countries need help developing properly, and often are still dealing with the ramifications of poorly executed decolonization. And country wanting aid is welcome in a new program of government assistance to other nations. Improving their nations and polulace's quality of live will make new economic possibilities available to the US.

-Terrorism: radical Islamic terrorism is a threat to liberties worldwide, and must be stopped properly this time as opposed to the previous war on terror's methods. Arm the locals to fight back, increase action from military advisors, Spec. Ops., and strategic bombing. Use coalition diplomacy to get local nations to fight for themselves. When the war on terror is completed, the local ethnic groups will gather and determine the new country borders in a political conference hosted by the United States, involving all local tribes of the Middle East, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and other stable countries in the region. 

-2nd Amendment Rights: Gun ownsership is fundamentally protected by the Bill of Rights, but convicted felons should not be allowed to purchase one. In addition, gun shows should not be allowed to continue to sell guns without background checks. A greater degree of psychological evaluation may be necessary to prevent shootings from continuing.