270soft Forum
servo75

Democratic candidate in 2020?

Who is likely to be the Democrat choice in 2020?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Select as many as you deem appropriate

• Cory Booker
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • Michelle Obama
    • John Hickenlooper
    • Chelsea Clinton
    • some Hollywood celebrity
    • other

I see that there's a lot of votes for Warren, but I find it very unlikely that she'll pursue a real presidential campaign. I believe she'll let it be speculated, but eventually rule it out as Biden did. 

I agree, and if she were to get nominated, it will show that the Democrats have learned nothing from 2016.

Based on early moves, I feel like the following Democrats are trying to position themselves as the leading anti-Trump Democrat: Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand, Chris Murphy, Al Franken, Cory Booker, Sherrod Brown and Bernie Sanders. Everyone else seems rather quiet so far. I'd give the following guesses on their chances of running in 2020:

Warren 80% (She will run unless a progressive Democrat with a lot of charisma emerges out of the shadows)

Gillibrand 70% (She says she won't run, but I think she will. She might not if Warren runs)

Murphy 50% (He might not enter if Gillibrand, Franken or Booker enter)

Franken 50% (He might not enter if Warren and Gillibrand enter)

Booker 50% (He might not enter a crowded field)

Brown 35% (I doubt he enters if Warren enters)

Sanders 25% (I think he's really hoping someone else runs in his place on his platform--maybe Tulsi Gabbard)

Clinton 10% (She's been disappointingly quiet. As someone that wanted to be president, was the opponent of Trump, and who won the popular vote by 3 million votes, you would assume she would play the part of leader of the opposition until a successor was established or found. I think she used all her energy on campaign and is just done.)

For Republicans, I think the following have a chance of opposing Trump: Lindsey Graham, John Kasich, Ted Cruz. I also think some anti-Trump reps are likely to jump in. I now think Rubio and Ryan and people similar to them are not going to oppose Trump. 

For Libertarians, I doubt they find anyone to capitalize on their 2016 "success." They had their greatest run, because of Trump and because they had two experienced moderate Libertarians that could appeal in some way to a larger political spectrum. I think they'll return to running people with little name recognition.

For Green, Stein will probably run again, which is a huge mistake. The party has become her sounding board, and running her continuously makes it seem as if there is no depth in their leadership. They need a former governor, former senator, a high-profile former Rep (Kucinich), a former general or former billionaire. The latter two will dilute accusations that Green is anti-military or anti-wealthy. They also need to moderate their positions, similar to how the Libertarians did in 2016. 

41 minutes ago, streiner said:

No talk of Gavin Newsom? There's talk that he might leave the Governorship after two years if they're a successful two years.

I haven't heard anything about him regarding 2020. I do know that he's the likely heir apparent for California, though. 

All these wouldn't win against Trump tbh, they can be abused very easily, especially Brooker (voted against regulations on big pharma) or Warren (lying about native american heritage)

I find it funny that now that Trump's been elected and his element of dividing and tearing apart the Republican Party with his unorthodox rhetoric has been brushed under the carpet and it's just been notched by most as "another standard GOP victory," most predictions for 2020, or the US future in general, or analyses of Trump's Presidency going forward, have comfortably fallen back into the old unproductive, non-innovative, predictable, sheepish, "business-as-usual" groove of down-the-line, never-break-the-ranks-for-any-reason, partisan political viewpoints in most of the US. It's very disappointing, to be honest, as personally, I believe this strict partisanship in every area of US society, not even just strictly political, between the main parties is not healthy for a nation - in fact, it's destructive, and NO US President is going to make the US "great again" while it persists. It just won't be possible.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand," Abraham Lincoln at the 1858 Republican National Convention, who would later be elected US President, paraphrasing a verse from Mark 3:25.

43 minutes ago, wolves said:

All these wouldn't win against Trump tbh, they can be abused very easily, especially Brooker (voted against regulations on big pharma) or Warren (lying about native american heritage)

I don't know what Warren's heritage is, but how would her lying about being native american heritage be any worse than Trump's lies, which are rather blatant and occur daily? I think Al Franken would be a good match for Trump. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I don't know what Warren's heritage is, but how would her lying about being native american heritage be any worse than Trump's lies, which are rather blatant and occur daily? I think Al Franken would be a good match for Trump. 

Because you want someone who is honest to run against Trump. You saw what happened to Hillary, viewed as even less trustworthy than Trump. Could you imagine 12 months of "Pocahontas this, Pocahontas that,"?

10 hours ago, streiner said:

No talk of Gavin Newsom? There's talk that he might leave the Governorship after two years if they're a successful two years.

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

I haven't heard anything about him regarding 2020. I do know that he's the likely heir apparent for California, though. 

He seems slightly hesitant.

I'm hoping for Warren/Duckworth or Warren/Franken, or maybe Franken/Duckworth or the reverse.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:35 AM, servo75 said:

I agree, and if she were to get nominated, it will show that the Democrats have learned nothing from 2016.

What is there to learn? The Democrats nominated someone who, rightly or wrongly, is probably the most hated woman in the country, and still managed to win by 2.1%, or almost 3 million votes.

13 hours ago, Biden Should've Run said:

He seems slightly hesitant.

I'm hoping for Warren/Duckworth or Warren/Franken, or maybe Franken/Duckworth or the reverse.

What is there to learn? The Democrats nominated someone who, rightly or wrongly, is probably the most hated woman in the country, and still managed to win by 2.1%, or almost 3 million votes.

I'd really like to see a president Warren, but I have a feeling she doesn't have the kind of charisma on campaign that might be needed to go against Trump. I think Al Franken would be a great choice. Franken/Gabbard or Franken/Duckworth, or even Franken/Warren. Warren comes off to me as someone that would make a great VP, cabinet secretary or, what she already is, a senator. 

On 11/02/2017 at 9:20 PM, vcczar said:

Because Trump saying killings at 50% higher isn't at all as bad as lying about your heritage to get more votes or sympathy, in Mrs. Warren's case though, her party relies on minority support.

5 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Mark Zuckerberg

He is now doing tours of small town America.

Mark Zuckerbeurg has declined to run in 2020 but if he did he would run as an Independent as he has stated he's is neither a Democrat or Republican

43 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Mark Zuckerbeurg has declined to run in 2020 but if he did he would run as an Independent as he has stated he's is neither a Democrat or Republican

When and where did Zuckerberg rule out running for President? :o

It still could change as we are no where near the 2020 election, but for now he has declined, so has Cory Booker, Michelle Obama, Kirsten Gillibrand and Chelsea Clinton isn't even a Politician

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Chelsea Clinton isn't even a Politician

Nor was Donald Trump before the Republican Primaries of 2015....

The first mother-daughter losing team, glass ceiling shattered!

I hope Mike Bloomberg runs as an independent this time. Or Mitt Romney.

1 hour ago, VanMav said:

The first mother-daughter losing team, glass ceiling shattered!

I hope Mike Bloomberg runs as an independent this time. Or Mitt Romney.

Ron and Rand Paul were a father-son team to both run and not even get nominated for the GE... :P

Well that glass ceiling was shattered long ago with John Adams and J.Q. Adams, and George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush. 

Hot takes:

Judging by the reception she got on Trevor Noah's show, if Elizabeth Warren can hold her composure and not take on the haughty attitude of Hillz, she'll be on the ticket.

Corey Booker might be DNC head by then. I voted for him in this poll, but he might have other priorities...

Chelsea Clinton? Please. too Soon. Give her another 7 or 11 years, though, and she'll be there.

Clearly, everyone needs to check the "celebrity" (i'm thinking Mark Cuban) and "someone else" boxes, though. Clearly, there are Dems out there that most of us don't know who'll be running. Think Gina Raimondo...

9 hours ago, Patine said:

Nor was Donald Trump before the Republican Primaries of 2015....

Chelsea Clinton in no Donald Trump though.