270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sebor13

2016 People vs. Trump Game Results

I decided to take up a game beginning in August as Clinton, refocused my platform to be more about the issues (like healthcare) and attacking Trump's leadership. I campaigned heavily in the Midwest (which some say Clinton didn't do enough of in reality, leading to her doing poorly there and ultimately costing her the election). Also, I generated a high damage scandal against Trump in late September, which barely hurt his poll numbers nationally (due to his good momentum in swing states), but dropped him by about 10 points in Texas, putting us neck and neck there until election night (where he got crushed in Texas).

I was ultimately able to win every swing state that I wanted to except for Wisconsin, Oregon (which was 5 points in my favor on my last turn before the election), and New Mexico (where Trump and I both had really bad momentum for the weeks leading up to the election).

I've never played a game this short (I usually start my 2016 games off in early 2015) and I found this to be a fun way to kill an hour or so.

2016 game results.png

In this next campaign, I played as though Obama had been able to run for a third term and he completely crushed Trump.

I think the game lets you capitalize on scandals and such against opposing candidates more than you would IRL, because I was against able to take Texas without that much effort. I also noticed that Johnson (who won New Mexico in my last game) got over 20% of the vote this time around while he only got 9.3% in reality this election.

The difficult part of winning these results were getting Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Every time I had the option, I'd put a ton of effort into those states and one with +5% or more of the vote. Montana, South Carolina, and Alaska were all happy accidents, where Trump and I ended up being neck and neck which made me start targeting them too.

For a solid month (early August into September), I was polling a few percent higher than Trump but was virtually tied with him the EC, but once I got a few good scandals on him, I was able to reach my goal of almost getting Johnson vs. Goldwater numbers.

I didn't do as well as Johnson (61.1%) but Trump did worse than Goldwater (38.5%). The difference between them was 22.6% and mine was 22.4%.

2016 trump vs obama game.png