270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2017 Political Players Fantasy Draft

Here's a fun forum idea. I'm not sure how we would keep track of scoring, but maybe the fun is just in drafting political players similar to a Fantasy Draft (similar to a football, baseball fantasy draft). 

If you're interested in this. Check out this link for an example: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-powerful-political-players-of-2017-draft-extravaganza/

I think it's a great, and fun idea. Anyway, I'll list 50 political players, and then we could do a draft. I'll pick last, since I'm creating this. We will do a snake draft, which means, every other round will be done in reverse order of the previous round. This means, as the last pick, I would pick first in round 2, and the person that picks first would go last in round 2. This would alternate. 

In the comments below, let me know if you want to take part in this. Draft order will be based on the order that you comment below. When we have about 5 to 10 participants, we will start. 

Here are 50 political players that could be drafted (write-ins are accepted). Most of these are from the list made by Nate Silver and his people. 

The goal is to draft a team, similar to Fantasy Football, that has the most political influence for 2017. Below are prospects available to draft. Write-ins are accepted, as long as they're American political figures: 

Pres. Donald Trump

VP Mike Pence

Reince Priebus

Steve Bannon

Sec. Rex Tillerson

Sec. Steven Mnuchin

Ivanka Trump

Sec. James Mattis

Speaker Paul Ryan

Sen. Mitch McConnell

Sen. Marco Rubio

Sen. John McCain

Mitt Romney

Gov. John Kasich

Sen. Ted Cruz

Sen. Rand Paul

Sec. Ben Carson

Sen. Lindsey Graham

Sen. Ben Sasse

Ronna Romney McDaniel

Fmr Pres. Barack Obama (still President for 20 days in 2017)

Hillary Clinton

Fmr VP Joe Biden (still VP for 20 days in 2017)

Sen. Bernie Sanders

Sen. Elizabeth Warren

Sen. Cory Booker

Sen. Sherrod Brown

Rep. Nancy Pelosi

Sen. Chuck Schumer 

Rep. Keith Ellison

Chief Justice John Roberts

Justice Anthony Kennedy

Sen. Susan Collins

Kellyanne Conway

Michael Flynn

James Comey

Rep. Tim Ryan

Tom Perez

Sen. Al Franken

Gov. Andrew Cuomo

Gov. Jerry Brown

Mayor Bill de Blasio

Evan McMullin 

Michael Bloomberg

Sen. Heidi Heitkamp

Sen. Joe Manchin

Att. Gen. Jeff Sessions

Janet Yellen

Newt Gingrich

US Amb. Nikki Haley

I'm down with this, but we should establish some rules. Like what constitutes as influence: bills being written and passed-or defeating them; or television appearances (since Conway and prebus can't vote on legislation.)

Also another rule is: your roster can't be more than 60% Republican. This is to prevent a few users to stack their roster with the party in power, and forces one to follow what is going on within the other parties. 

And are trades allowed?

13 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'm down with this, but we should establish some rules. Like what constitutes as influence: bills being written and passed-or defeating them; or television appearances (since Conway and prebus can't vote on legislation.)

Also another rule is: your roster can't be more than 60% Republican. This is to prevent a few users to stack their roster with the party in power, and forces one to follow what is going on within the other parties. 

And are trades allowed?

We'll discuss rules. The statistics might be more holistic. Such as a communal vote at the end of 2017 to forge some sort of averaged ranking of influence by all who participate. We might allow some outside observers into this final ranking. I think this would be easier than keeping track of every bill, etc. It might not be perfect, but I think it's the best way to make it manageable. This is more just for fun. 

Trades are allowed during the draft to move up in the draft. 

As far as party balance. We can establish a rule that your choices must be equal parts Democrats (or liberal independent) and Republican (or conservative independent). 

So far we have: Sunny, Lok, Calebs, the Middle, and myself. Let's see if we can get 5 more people to join in by tomorrow. I think I want to cap this at 10 participants. 

I'm in!

Hopefully we can get 4 more people. I'll make the deadline for joining 3pm CST, Thursday, Dec 22.

We have to have the teams set up by Jan 1st. 

During the draft, we will have to somehow have an auto-draft process in place in the event that someone doesn't respond quickly enough. 

Will it take place on the forum thread or on PM?

21 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Will it take place on the forum thread or on PM?

I'm thinking forum

I will join.  Lets see if I can win my fantasy football league (#1 seed in the championship game) and this.

23 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I will join.  Lets see if I can win my fantasy football league (#1 seed in the championship game) and this.

I'm afraid I probably lack the free time to kill for this project at this period of time, so I'll have to politely decline.

I'm thinking the scoring could go something like this. Basically, it's structured three ways and then the points are added up:

Part I

At the end of 2017, we will all give a ranking of the top 50 from most influential politically in 2017 to least, among those drafted.

The top of the list (likely Trump) will win 50 points. 2nd will win 45. 3rd will win 40. 4th 35. 5th 30. 6th 25. 7th 20. 8th 15. 9th 10, 10th 5. 11th-20 will with 3 points. 21-30th will win 2 points. 30-50 will win 1 point. 

Part 2

After this. Whomever owns the most influential executive branch politician gets an extra 5 points. Whomever has the most influential legislative branch politician gets an extra 5 points. Whomever gets the most influential judicial branch member gets an extra 5 point. Whomever has the most influential politico unattached to these branches gets an extra 5 points. Whomever has the most influential Republican gets 5 points. Whomever has the most influential Democrat gets 5 points. This ranking will be determined on the outcome of part 1. 

Part 3

We will then vote on what the top 10 major individual political events are of 2015. Politicians seen as the major players (no more than 3 per event) will be awarded 5 points, and 10 if they are the only real major player for that event. Like part 1, the ten major events will be determined by a communal vote, with the top 10 being the most agreed upon 10 major events. 

Anyway, I think this is a good way to do this, that isn't too complicated. Perhaps we can do it again in 2018 if it works out. We could do a keeper league. But I think we should do it where each returning competitor is allowed to automatically keep one of their bottom 5 scoring politicians in 2018. This would be good for someone that thinks Cory Booker would be great in 2018, but not 2017, but wants to hold on to them. 

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm afraid I probably lack the free time to kill for this project at this period of time, so I'll have to politely decline.

I think most of the work for this will take place tomorrow (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). You can also email me your order of selection and I can draft for you, if you want. In Fantasy Drafts, they let you do this. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think most of the work for this will take place tomorrow (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). You can also email me your order of selection and I can draft for you, if you want. In Fantasy Drafts, they let you do this. 

I am on Christmas Break, so I am available pretty much any time.

I'm in

Yes, I'm on break, but also on family vacation until the 23rd. So I don't know the times of the draft, but I hope it will work out.

When will the draft take place? Like I said, I'll have limited availability through the 23rd and until about 9 PM on Christmas Day. Up through the 4th, I'm on break and that period of 10 days is my freest. I know you said by New Years so hopefully, we can come to a date that will be amicable for all of our schedules.

Yeah sadly I have also some time issues...

@jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @TheMiddlePolitical @Sanser2016 @Reagan04 @JohnnyK (who I will unblock on this thread, so long as he remains civil), @lok1999 and @Sunnymentoaddict. Including myself, we have 10 people. So this will be the 10 teams for the 2017 Fantasy Political Players League. 

If you can email or PM me your preferred draft ranking of the above 50-person-list, then I can auto-draft for you if you happen to be away. Basically, once we start the draft (today), we will have until 12/30 to complete the draft. On 12/31, we will auto-draft if we still have spots open on the rosters. Teams will be of 10 politicians. Also, auto-draft will occur between today and 12/30 should anyone take longer than 8 hours to make their selection. I strongly encourage everyone to try and make their selections as quickly as possible, but I leave 8 hours, since I know some people may have to work or sleep. If you ask me to auto-draft for you on a certain day, then I will do that. I will hold strictly to your ranked list. 

During EST daytime I should never be away for more than 8hrs. However, it is possible if someone drafts maybe 1 minute after I fall asleep I could miss it, let's hope that that doesn't happen!

@vcczar

If I didn't want to have to spend time putting together a list, could I just designate you as my auto drafter?  I trust that you would be fair in your drafting and would pick the best person available.

@jvikings1

You could give me a short list, of say, 10 or 20 picks you'd like to have. Otherwise, I will probably draft in order of the power of their position.