270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Chief Justice Poll

Who is the Greatest Chief Justice in US History  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is the greatest Chief Justice in US History?

• John Jay (NY), 1789-1795, appointed by Washington. Primarily established basic rules and procedures, such as refusing to endorse legislation. Heard only 4 court cases.
    • John Rutledge (SC), 1795, appointed by Washington. Filled Jay's vacancy for 6 months but denied confirmation by the Senate for supposed mental decline and alcohol abuse. Denounced the Jay Treaty as ChJustice.
    • Oliver Ellsworth (CT), 1796-1800, appointed by Washington. Set precedence for judicial opinion writing on cases. Also confirmed that the president played no role in amending the Constitution.
    • John Marshall (VA), 1801-1835, appointed by JAdams. Formally established judicial review. Confirmed the supremacy of federal law over state law. Established the Court as the final authority on Constitutional cases.
    • Roger Taney (MD), 1836-1864, appointed by Jackson. Routinely defended states over the federal government in cases that he could. Presided over the infamous Dred Scott Decision. Ruled against Lincoln's Suspension of the Writ of Habeaus Corpus.
    • Salmon P. Chase (OH), 1864-1873, appointed by Lincoln. Ruled that the US was a permanent and indestructible union. Presided over AJohnson's impeachment. Sought the presidency as ChJ.
    • Morrison Waite (OH), 1874-1888, appointed by Grant. A moderate that balanced federal and state power, allowing states to establish Jim Crow laws after Reconstruction, and to deny women the right to vote. He argued that the States had to suppress the KKK, not the Fed Gov't.
    • Melville Fuller (ME), 1888-1910, appointed by Cleveland. Made famous the "equal justice under the law" and "separate but equal." Ruled in favor of segregation and monopolies and against income tax.
    • Edward D. White (LA), 1910-1921, appointed by Taft. Conservative judge that upheld military drafts, opposed child labor laws, took middle ground on monopolies, but ruled in favor of the 8-hour work day, and for protecting black voting rights in the South.
    • William Howard Taft (OH), 1921-1930, appointed by Harding. Declared the president did not need confirmation to remove cabinet members, opposed women equality, argued that states cannot deny free speech
    • Charles Evans Hughes (NY), 1930-1941, appointed by Hoover. Supported Civil Rights, most of the New Deal, argued that Congress could regulate labor, worked to block FDR's court-packing scheme
    • Harlan Stone (NH), 1941-1946, appointed by FDR. Relatively inactive. Allowed US to try Nazi's captured on American soil in military tribunals.
    • Fred Vinson (KY), 1946-1953, appointed by Truman. Moderate. Voided Truman's seizure of the steel industry during a strike. Did not oppose segregation, but argued that both races must have equal facilities.
    • Earl Warren (CA), 1953-1969, appointed by Eisenhower. Progressive. Banned segregation in public schools. Defended Black voting rights in the South. Ruled to ensure voting in state legislatures were fair (one man, one vote). Warren Commission--JFK Assassination.
    • Warren Berger (MN), 1969-1986, appointed by Nixon. Supported busing to reduce segregation. Presided Roe v. Wade. Opposed Gay Rights. Presided during Nixon's Watergate.
    • William Rehnquist (AZ), 1986-2005, appointed by Reagan. Presided over Clinton impeachment. Conservative, generally favoring states over federal power, including in cases of civil rights and anti-discrimination, and freedom of religion cases.
    • John Roberts (DC), 2005-present, appointed by GW Bush. Generally conservative; however, he's been moderate on issues like abortion, and he defended Obamacare.
  2. 2. Will you post your ranking of best to worst SC Justices in the comments?

• Yes.
    • Yes, if you remind me later.
    • No.

Chief Justice Poll.

I only had room for a very brief analysis of each judge. Feel free to wikipedia them if you want to. 

@vcczar My ranking:

Rehnquist
Roberts
Taney
White
Waite
Taft
Chase
Berger
Hughes
Fuller
Warren
Marshall
Vinson
Ellsworth
Jay
Rutledge

8 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

@vcczar My ranking:

Rehnquist
Roberts
Taney
White
Waite
Taft
Chase
Berger
Hughes
Fuller
Warren
Marshall
Vinson
Ellsworth
Jay
Rutledge

Thanks! I disagree with your ranking, but I appreciate you posting it. Mine is:

Marshall

Warren

Hughes

Chase

Berger

Jay

Roberts

Taft

Vinson

Ellsworth

Rehnquist

White

Fuller

Waite

Taney

Rutledge

12 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

@vcczar My ranking:

Rehnquist
Roberts
Taney
White
Waite
Taft
Chase
Berger
Hughes
Fuller
Warren
Marshall
Vinson
Ellsworth
Jay
Rutledge

I notice a number of the judges high on your list (like Taney, for example) were big defenders of the idea of "States' Rights." You may or may not be aware that, even though the scope of the issue has definitely broadened in the last few decades, for most of the US's history, until about the 1960's, in fact, the term "States' Rights," was, in a vast majority of cases, with some small number of exceptions, a blanket term to legally and constitutionally justify and defend outright racist policies in Southern States from Federal interference, many of those policies involving artificially maintaining absolute White political power and disenfranchising utterly African Americans and other racial minorities in policies and tactics very similar in style to what Apartheid-era South Africa or UDI-era Rhodesia employed.

Im sorry,But Taney is probably one of the most infamously,racist bigoted men to be on a high position in the United States ever.

1 minute ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Im sorry,But Taney is probably one of the most infamously,racist bigoted men to be on a high position in the United States ever.

Him and Vice President (for two separate Presidents of two opposing parties) John C. Calhoun.

@TheMiddlePolitical @Patine @Conservative Elector 2

Yeah, most scholars place Taney as having been the worst Supreme Court Justice, and having made the worst court ruling in the history of the country--Dred Scott. His nomination is another reason I think Jackson's presidency was a disaster. 

Marshall

Rehnquist

Chase

Taft

White

Jay

Roberts

Warren

Vinson

Ellsworth

Hughes

Waite

Berger

Fuller

Taney

Rutledge

28 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Marshall

Rehnquist

Chase

Taft

White

Jay

Roberts

Warren

Vinson

Ellsworth

Hughes

Waite

Berger

Fuller

Taney

Rutledge

That's a pretty solid ranking from a rational conservative 

10 hours ago, Patine said:

I notice a number of the judges high on your list (like Taney, for example) were big defenders of the idea of "States' Rights." You may or may not be aware that, even though the scope of the issue has definitely broadened in the last few decades, for most of the US's history, until about the 1960's, in fact, the term "States' Rights," was, in a vast majority of cases, with some small number of exceptions, a blanket term to legally and constitutionally justify and defend outright racist policies in Southern States from Federal interference, many of those policies involving artificially maintaining absolute White political power and disenfranchising utterly African Americans and other racial minorities in policies and tactics very similar in style to what Apartheid-era South Africa or UDI-era Rhodesia employed.

@vcczar @Patine @TheMiddlePolitical @jvikings1

You're right @Patine I understand ''States' Rights'' not as the racist movement, but basically as the chance for self determination of states and a high federalism. Therefore, whenever I read that I think ''wow, that sounds really good''. With my interpretation I still support it, but if it's wrong that way I think of course it should not be favored at all.

I really appreciate  it that you correct me, because obviously I get that wrong. On the other hand it's great that you know actually what I get wrong here. That's pretty cool, so thanks for reading my posts carefully. :) So thanks for getting that I am not a racist, but in favor of a high federalism. That's an important point here for me.