270soft Forum
Conservative Elector 2

Poll: 2016 Italian referendum

What is your stance on the Italian referendum?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve the text of the Constitutional Law concerning 'Provisions for overcoming equal bicameralism, reducing the number of Members of Parliament, limiting the operating costs of the institutions, the suppression of the CNEL and the revision of Title V of Part II of the Constitution' approved by Parliament and published in the Official Gazette no. 88 of 15 April 2016?

The Referendum itself is not very important for non-Italians, but Prime Minister Matteo Renzi (Social Democrat, pro-EU) said, he will step down if the No campaign wins. This could lead to new elections with a winning populist party (Movimento 5 Stelle) and have a big (perhaps negative) impact on the EU.

I don't know many details of it, but basically it wants to reduce the powers of the Senate, the numbers of the Senators as well and a positive referendum gives more powers to the Prime Minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_constitutional_referendum,_2016

I would have voted No.

6 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The Referendum itself is not very important for non-Italians, but Prime Minister Matteo Renzi (Social Democrat, pro-EU) said, he will step down if the No campaign wins. This could lead to new elections with a winning populist party (Movimento 5 Stelle) and have a big (perhaps negative) impact on the EU.

I don't know many details of it, but basically it wants to reduce the powers of the Senate, the numbers of the Senators as well and a positive referendum gives more powers to the Prime Minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_constitutional_referendum,_2016

I would have voted No.

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, Italy, along with the Czech Republic, the US, and arguably Australia, are currently the only First World countries left with an upper house of  equal and meaningful ,or even close to it, constitutionally speaking.

3 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Yes

Given you've lived in Australia, I have to ask, was your 'yes' to the referendum choice, or confirming my suspicion of the current equal bicameral system in Australia?

It could slightly attribute to your suspicion I could say :) However when I lived in Australia recently I supported Palmer's United,a third party choice you could say if I voted in this recent election I would of voted for Natale,Shorten and Turnbull,no thank you.