270soft Forum
Conservative Elector 2

Poll: 2016 Austrian Presidential election

Who would you have voted for in Austria? What's your stance on the Italian constitutional referendum?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have voted for in the first round?

• Norbert Hofer (Freedom Party) - 45, right-wing, Protestant, anti-immigration, anti-islam, critical of the EU, mandatory time of consideration for abortions, Austrian nationalism, somewhat neoliberal and somewhat pro-business wants award the Austrian citizenship to South Tyroleans, gun enthusiast, member of a German national fraternity, has to deal with Nazi accusations
    • Alexander Van der Bellen (formally independent, but heavily supported by Greens) - 71, former leader of the Greens, typically green politics (environment etc), atheist, progressive, very pro-EU, pro-centralism within the EU, pro-immigration, alleged Communist
    • Irmgard Griss (Independent) - 69 former Chief Justice, centrist, favors same-sex marriage, against euthanasia, pro-EU, pro-immigration, anti-corruption
    • Rudolf Hundstorfer (Social Democratic Party) - 64, Former Secretary of Labor, represents workers and pensioners, pro-labor, somewhat anti-immigration, pro-EU, establishment left
    • Andreas Khol (People's Party) - 74, former President of the National Council, traditional conservative, anti-immigration, pro-EU, catholic, against same-sex marriage, very pro-business, pro-NATO, neoliberalism, establishment right
    • Richard Lugner (Independent) - 83, right-wing businessman without any political experience, critical of the EU, anti-immigration, pro-business, more or less a satirical campaign
  2. 2. Who would you have voted for in the (first) second round?

• Norbert Hofer (Freedom Party)
    • Alexander Van der Bellen (formally independent, but heavily supported by Greens)
  3. 3. Who would you have voted for in the (second) second round?

• Norbert Hofer (Freedom Party)
    • Alexander Van der Bellen (formally independent, but heavily supported by Greens)

I thought I create a poll on this due to the current events. :)

I voted Khol in the very first round, and Hofer in both run-off elections.

Griss and Hundstorfer endorsed Van der Bellen.

Lugner endorsed Hofer.

Khol didn't endorse anyone, but was closely to Hofer's ideology... 

7 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Looks like Van der Bellem has just been announced the winner. Not like he has any REAL power, constitutionally, but there you go...

53 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

I think he cheated again.

I wonder if you believe left-wing candidates always cheat, and right-wing ones always win honestly. Your few posts have shown hints of belief in such unrealistically generalized stereotypes.

No surprise that the results of this poll is just as close as the one in real life. In all honesty, I am surprised Hofer lost. Not that I wanted him to win, but I just assumed the anti-EU/immigrant sentiment was much stronger in Austria as it is in the UK, and arguably in the US with Trump and NAFTA.

The problem is that they created a campaign of fear. Their message was when Hofer is elected, the possiblity for leaving the EU is there. This would cause high unemployment they said and people began to rethink. They had a massive TV ad programme which was anti-Hofer financed by a millionaire businessman (Hans-Peter Haselsteiner). This campaign was not very fair at all. Anyway VdB was elected, I'm pretty disillusioned about Austrians but we'll have to deal with it and accept their decision.

There will be parliamentary elections in 2017 or 2018 (regular) and the next presidential election will be in 2022. There will be a time to vote them out again. The show must go on. :) So I am not paralyzed by this result... 

2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The problem is that they created a campaign of fear. Their message was when Hofer is elected, the possiblity for leaving the EU is there. This would cause high unemployment they said and people began to rethink. They had a massive TV ad programme which was anti-Hofer financed by a millionaire businessman (Hans-Peter Haselsteiner). This campaign was not very fair at all. Anyway VdB was elected, I'm pretty disillusioned about Austrians but we'll have to deal with it and accept their decision.

There will be parliamentary elections in 2017 or 2018 (regular) and the next presidential election will be in 2022. There will be a time to vote them out again. The show must go on. :) So I am not paralyzed by this result... 

lol bad results... your next president are the same policy of hollande and others president with great high dissaproval in europe

3 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I don't know the real root of your disappointment here. The real decisions in Austria are made in the National Council chamber, not the Presidential office, despite your idealism and wistful for a situation otherwise. As far as I can gather, the Austrian President only has marginally more real power than the British Monarch.

Yeah that's quite true, but at first it's a pretty symbolic victory for the left and it seems that the people here don't have the desire for real change. I have a bad feeling about the next elections too. I would have even voted for the Social Democratic guy instead of VdB. Hundstorfer was just lame, but it was pretty funny watching him in the debates (reminds me of Jeb Bush). It was like: I don't want to get elected at all, but I'm doing this here because the party wants me to run for president and I hope it will be over soon. He represented the status quo like no other, but I'd be glad if he became Austria's president instead VdB. Greens are worse than Social Democrats here.

But it's not like that I'm grumbling all the day about this. About 90 % of the people I know were celebrating on Sunday, but that doesn't bother me as long as they can accept that I'm not satisfied with the new president. When Trump won it was the other way round and I felt sad for all the people who placed their hopes in Clinton, but because we have a higher goal I am very glad that Trump won anyway. I believe if Trump works continually to improve the US and it's role in the world, they will have a better impression about him and it's necessary that the nations whether Austria or the US will come together again. I don't believe that VdB will convince me of his politics, but nothing is impossible.

We have to accept the situation now and we'll need to work for our countries. Protesting against a newly elected president is just pointless.

2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Yeah that's quite true, but at first it's a pretty symbolic victory for the left and it seems that the people here don't have the desire for real change. I have a bad feeling about the next elections too. I would have even voted for the Social Democratic guy instead of VdB. Hundstorfer was just lame, but it was pretty funny watching him in the debates (reminds me of Jeb Bush). It was like: I don't want to get elected at all, but I'm doing this here because the party wants me to run for president and I hope it will be over soon. He represented the status quo like no other, but I'd be glad if he became Austria's president instead VdB. Greens are worse than Social Democrats here.

But it's not like that I'm grumbling all the day about this. About 90 % of the people I know were celebrating on Sunday, but that doesn't bother me as long as they can accept that I'm not satisfied with the new president. When Trump won it was the other way round and I felt sad for all the people who placed their hopes in Clinton, but because we have a higher goal I am very glad that Trump won anyway. I believe if Trump works continually to improve the US and it's role in the world, they will have a better impression about him and it's necessary that the nations whether Austria or the US will come together again. I don't believe that VdB will convince me of his politics, but nothing is impossible.

We have to accept the situation now and we'll need to work for our countries. Protesting against a newly elected president is just pointless.

Personally, as I'd been saying for at least three months before the US Election Night, I felt both Trump and Clinton were bad for the US and the world, just in different ways, and I don't like or trust either of them at all. Perhaps I'm a bit more cynical than some, but the 2016 US Presidential Election was the absolute worst election in totality in my lifetime in my opinion. If those were the only two viable candidates to be nominated in a nation of over 300 million, it doesn't fill me with confidence on the breadth and depth of the REAL level of political dialogue there in most circles.

Khol 

Hofer

Hofer

32 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Khol 

Hofer

Hofer

Like I did. :D *high five*

8 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Khol 

Hofer

Hofer

In the first round, it was between Khol and Hofer for me.  I chose Hofer because of him being critical of the EU.

14 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

In the first round, it was between Khol and Hofer for me.  I chose Hofer because of him being critical of the EU.

Yeah I know that was a difficult issue for me as well.  I am not in line with Khol there, but anyway. He is  a respected politician here. He served 4 years as Parliament speaker, favored a coalition with the Freedom Party and was considered as Secretary of the Interior. He served as acting president for two days in 2004.

I am a member of the People's Party so I chose their candidate, although I don't like their position on the EU. A survey found out, that 10 % of the People's Party members are also critical of the EU however.