270soft Forum
TheMiddlePolitical

Why would you lock my thread?

You need to make an offtopic section @admin_270 Nobody was argueing with anyone and thats something we all enjoy talking about. Also it was kind of annoyance because it took me a while to research. 

2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

which says

"This forum is not for political posts. It's for posts about 270soft (including TheorySpark and 80soft) games and campaigns."

Just throwing this out here. On the CivFanatics forum, where I also have a presence in the subforum of my other favourite TBS game, Civ2, but, the CivFanatics site as a whole has subforums for all six iterations of Civilization, plus related TBS games such as Alpha Centauri, Colonization, Black Nebula Traders, Galactic Civilizations, Master of Orion 1-3, the two Activision homages to Civilization, and a few others, including a Chess subforum, also has an Off-Topic subforum where the regulations and moderation rules are a LOT looser. However, I do also realize that CivFanatics has 30-40 moderators/administrators/other staff, not just one, and is visited by over 500 people a day, AT LEAST, but I thought I'd bring it up nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just throwing this out here. On the CivFanatics forum, where I also have a presence in the subforum of my other favourite TBS game, Civ2, but, the CivFanatics site as a whole has subforums for all six iterations of Civilization, plus related TBS games such as Alpha Centauri, Colonization, Black Nebula Traders, Galactic Civilizations, Master of Orion 1-3, the two Activision homages to Civilization, and a few others, including a Chess subforum, also has an Off-Topic subforum where the regulations and moderation rules are a LOT looser. However, I do also realize that CivFanatics has 30-40 moderators/administrators/other staff, not just one, and is visited by over 500 people a day, AT LEAST, but I thought I'd bring it up nonetheless.

I'd also like an Off-Topic forum. I'm glad the college football thread was closed though, because I don't like mixing something that off topic with the general forum. Anthony could give some volunteers, who are general neutral or not getting into arguments in the forum, moderating powers for the Off-Topic forum. That way he doesn't have to really deal with it. I think @Conservative Elector 2 is respectful, not prone to causing inter-forum controversy, etc, and he's on here regularly enough that he might be willing to do it. Although, that's still a lot of responsibility to check it regularly. @Sanser2016 is another, I think. 

which says

"This forum is not for political posts. It's for posts about 270soft (including TheorySpark and 80soft) games and campaigns."

It said political,Is college football political? ahah,I just wish we had an off topic section cause we basically all know each other here 

7 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

It said political,Is college football political? ahah,I just wish we had an off topic section cause we basically all know each other here 

I totally subscribe to this message and can guarantee that my forum activity would triple if an Off-Section, and lightly moderated group were created.

Any forum section would require a mod. Either I mod, or I hire someone to mod. I have tried volunteer mods in the past, and it doesn't work.

Off-topic threads tend to devolve into name-calling or arguments, on a politics-related board such as this. I have tried this in the past, and it has on the whole been a big headache.

I believe that most if not all of us can agree to have manners on an off topic section. Some of our debates get heated but on the whole there has been little to no real problems.

If Anthony says it won't work, I'll take his word for it. He has far more experience than we do with forum creation and maintenance, and we are not going to be an exception to the volunteer modding rule. 

Thank you, @admin_270 for explaining this to us. We will respect your wishes.

Any forum section would require a mod. Either I mod, or I hire someone to mod. I have tried volunteer mods in the past, and it doesn't work.

Off-topic threads tend to devolve into name-calling or arguments, on a politics-related board such as this. I have tried this in the past, and it has on the whole been a big headache.

Of course you do realize, if I'm not distracted on this site debating actual politics and getting drawn into heated debates, I'll have a lot more time to hound you about those MANY ideas I've had for improving TheorySpark games you've liked to brush under the carpet, some of them for years now. And that's NOT against the site TOS. :P

@vcczar Thank you! Yeah I try to keep calm all the time.

John Kasich said it very good in one debate. There are too much beefs in politics. I don't want to engage is such things... That's not my nature.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:16 PM, admin_270 said:

which says

I think part of the confusion on the forums is that you have a Game Feedback section, Play-by-play, campaign creation; therefore, general seems like it would welcome everything non-game related, since it seems the other sections have it covered. On the Forum homepage, you have brief descriptions on most of the sections, such as "Feedback on the games, including bugs," while the general section is without any guidance. Perhaps, if you put "For general discussion regarding 270soft games and campaigns." This would deter new users who repeat our mistakes, as well as remind us not to be off topic. 

I'll miss some of the off-topic conversation, such as ranking US presidents, for example. Maybe we could use the steering council section as a safe way to debate off-topic in a way that can't be accessed by the public. That is if you're worried about our heating exchanged somehow marring the name of your business. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Maybe we could use the steering council section as a safe way to debate off-topic in a way that can't be accessed by the public

I wish I was on that ;) 

24 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I wish I was on that ;)

I always resented the Steering Council as a plutocratic elite unnessecary in such a small forum community as it is, but that's a grumble I really only have with @admin_270.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

resented

plutocratic elite

grumble

Side note: I'm fairly certain that you have to most expansive vocabulary on this forum. This is far from the best example of that.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I always resented the Steering Council as a plutocratic elite unnessecary in such a small forum community as it is, but that's a grumble I really only have with @admin_270.

I actually liked it. It was a reward for helping fund the game, and it didn't require that much money. I assumed all the regulars at the time took part in it. I was sad to see it go, since it sort of let us know how quickly progress was being made and what was on the agenda. We even had a say in some of the improvements.