270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

James Mattis Chosen as Sec. of Defense

General James Mattis was just chosen as the Secretary of Defense, according to a Breaking News CNN event on my phone. Thoughts on this?

I am literally overjoyed. ISIS will finally be destroyed. Will Terrorism be an issue in 2020?

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

General James Mattis was just chosen as the Secretary of Defense, according to a Breaking News CNN event on my phone. Thoughts on this?

I am literally overjoyed. ISIS will finally be destroyed. Will Terrorism be an issue in 2020?

It will indeed, because this is not a conventional war like WW2. Military victories, draconian national security policies, and podium-thumping rhetoric will not resolve the core issues that create, spawn, and empower terrorism. Quite the reverse, actually! Ron Paul has one of only a VERY FEW significant American political figures in the 21st Century who even acknowledged this fact, and I'm NOT even a big Ron Paul fan...

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

and I'm even a big Ron Paul fan...

Do you mean to say you're not even a big Ron Paul fan?

12 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

Do you mean to say you're not even a big Ron Paul fan?

Yes, thank you...

There. Edited.

6 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

didnt you say you hate democracy a few weeks a agos?

Do you have me confused for someone else? When did I EVER say this? I warn you now, the last two people who used to like to put words in my mouth without warrant or rational backing evidence (servo75 and Johnny K) are now blocked by me. I have a thick skin, and can argue and debate rationally, but such childish, irrational, and unbackable tactics I don't tolerate for long. Consider yourself warned.

I believe he was a great choice,very respected. Straight forward,get what needs done done.

1 minute ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I believe he was a great choice,very respected. Straight forward,get what needs done done.

I don't know much, at all, about him. I was just critical of the optimism of him "wiping out terrorism so it wasn't even an issue by 2020," thing, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Kudelka said:

First of all threating people online is NEVER okay and you should apologize. Secondly I don't recall and nobody on this forum ever recalls any instance where I put words in your mouth. You defame and smear anybody who doesn't share your same views, and troll them. The slightest little statement sends you into a state of all out aggression. You are sounding more and more like a online bully rather than the rational thick skinned person you claim to be.

I don't think he can see what you're typing because he blocked you. You might think he went a little overboard, just as he thinks @Presidentinsertname went overboard, but you're going overboard as well. I'd argue that @Patine is one of the least trolling people on here. He's actually trying to encourage debate, wanting people to defend their position with logic. That isn't trolling. It's either trying to figure out why people think the way they do, or trying to show people that they can't even defend their own positions. A troll is someone that just insults or uses childlike behavior. 

Honestly, I haven't really seen anyone in this forum have a true thick-skin. I feel like the regulars, myself included, react to rather than ignore a lot of comments that are better off ignoring. 

@Patine Yeah terrorism will always be alive,hes very outspoken,I just dont think you can completely stop it. Hes very well respected on both sides of the spectrum

1 hour ago, Jonathan Kudelka said:

The definition for a Troll: a troll (/ňątro äl/, /ňątr…íl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Just go back and look at his posts and you will see ALL the times he went on forums and DIDN'T EVEN MENTION the topic of the forums. He just goes there to start arguments, say how upset he is and goes off topic. He continues to slander and defame me, and I've had enough.

I don't see this in @Patine very often. So I wouldn't call him a troll. I think you're just magnifying it because he is targeting you, for reasons I sometimes agree with. If someone is going to post something that's incorrect, illogical, insensitive or not well-thought-out, they have to expect a rebuttal. I'm also all for people being passionate in their rebuttals so far as the person is rational in their response. I wouldn't call anyone in this forum really a troll. I've seen two people that come close to it, but they haven't posted in a while. 

Can you show us examples of Patine slandering you or defaming you? I can't find those examples. He may have probable cause to block you. I've blocked people before (although, I've unblocked them), but it's generally because the topic has becoming inflammatory on both sides of the debate. I don't think Patine's purpose is to sow discord. It's a vain attempt to sow reason if anything. Personally, I consider Patine one of the more valued people in this forum, and I think your attempt to tie him in as a troll is more personal than accurate. I'd have to see proof to see if his remarks towards you are warranted or not.