270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

180 Policy Change

Over Thanksgiving, I had a 180 policy change on certain issues like the death penalty, gay marriage, interventionism, terrorism, immigration, and more issues, effectively making me a centrist Libertarian. Must be from all the left-wing leaning videos that I watch. Just wanted to put this out there.

What was your initial position on all of these and what did it change to? Just curious. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

What was your initial position on all of these and what did it change to? Just curious. 

All Right-Wing positions, lol. Don't know what happened.

Admin_270 has spoken!

Geez, Potato Walrus, what was in your T-giving turkey? Or did your family all drop some mescaline together? The way you phrased it, it sounds as though this holiday weekend was quite the formative experience...fantastic!

I knew you would eventually come to senses Im diffrent however I use to be Far-Left when I was in High School now Im center left in college

6 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I knew you would eventually come to senses Im diffrent however I use to be Far-Left when I was in High School now Im center left in college

REEEEEEEE I THINK I'M BECOMING A DEMOCRAT

10 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I was probably center or center-right as a teenager. Actually probably economically agnostic and more socially conservative (but not necessarily in a religious way, I was more traditional then). The most left-wing I ever was, was probably in grad school and during the Great Recession. I'm still left of center-left, but I can move much further right on a case-by-case basis, if I think it's a better solution than concepts I'd usually agree with. 

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

REEEEEEEE I THINK I'M BECOMING A DEMOCRAT

Contrary to popular belief, having a certain ideological perspective does not immediately tie to a certain political party as an absolute. Political parties are transitory, artificial, shifting, adapting, arbitrarily defined clubs of individuals working in tandem, more or less, to enact certain political agendas within one or more polities. Ideological perspectives and beliefs are purer and transcend such flimsy limits in a broader, more general sense.

On 11/30/2016 at 4:34 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Over Thanksgiving, I had a 180 policy change on certain issues like the death penalty, gay marriage, interventionism, terrorism, immigration, and more issues, effectively making me a centrist Libertarian. Must be from all the left-wing leaning videos that I watch. Just wanted to put this out there.

God's Blessings be upon you my friend.

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

God's Blessings be upon you my friend.

Thanks. You too as well! Something must have been in that turkey! 

It's normal for people to change views, yes, even a 180 is very human. I used to be far-right and a die hard Avigdor Liberman fan and much, much, much, more religious (in Jewish terms kinda between Young Israel and Lubovitch). But as I grew older and left my teenage years and after so many personal experience and encounters and coming out of the closet, my political views have also changed. I can't tell if it'll change again because really, opinions constantly change. It'll be fun to take a look at this thread five years from now and see how much we've changed. 

I don't know what caused the change in me the most: spending a lot of time in Appalachia, surfing in California, leaving Chicagoland, or getting almost married to a Scotsman. 

Just kidding, they didn't have any effect on my views. 

On December 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Thanks. You too as well! Something must have been in that turkey!

I'll let you in on a secret myself. Back in the early '90's, when I was first able to vote, and even for several years before I had the vote, I was a big supporter of the Reform Party of Canada, a majorly far-right-wing party from (and only initially popular in) Western Canada (including Alberta, where I live), led by Preston Manning and including, as a member, future Canadian PM Stephen Harper. I lost interest in that party in the very late '90's when they rebranded as the Canadian Alliance and Stockwell Day became leader (and then he led that party to a merger with the remnants of the federal Progressive Conservative Party under Peter MacKay, still not recovered from their 1993 electoral disaster) into the modern Conservative Party of Canada, which chose Harper as it's leader in 2003). In the very early 2000's, I became enchanted with Jack Layton as New Democratic Party leader, who led the social democratic to it's greatest electoral success ever on the federal level in 2011. But, in that case, it was more the party leader himself that drew me, and when he died of prostrate cancer not long after the 2011 election, I felt I couldn't stand Thomas Mulcair, the new NDP leader. I voted for Trudeau in 2015 as more of a strategic and 'least of three evils' vote, I will fully admit.