270soft Forum
vcczar

2020 Election Scenario Candidates (VCczar)

I've made a new 2020 scenario. This election supposes that Trump makes it through 4 years of his first term. As president, Trump becomes increasingly populist, routinely bucking the Republican establishment. He's been impeached, but was acquitted. A combined Democratic and Republican congress has occasionally overrode his vetoes. Some Republican leaders have proposed removing Trump from the party. Despite a failed presidency, Trump is still soundly popular with his Midwestern base, since he generally uses that population as his sounding board for his policies. 

Many believed Trump would not seek reelection, but he's opted to do so. Anti-Trump Republican leaders from the  various tribes of the Republican Party are sending their leaders out to take the party back from a man they wish to expel from the party. Rubio leads the conservative establishment. Cruz leads the even more conservative wing. Kasich leads the moderate wing. Rand Paul leads the libertarian conservatives. Lindsey Graham hopes to reintegrate neocon policies into the Republican party. Susana Martinez runs on a platform of revenge for statements Trump has made to women and Hispanics during his presidency. Three more possible candidates include independent Republican Jon Huntsman, who desires more compromise with Democrats, and two younger anti-Trump politicians, Ben Sasse and Tom Cotton. 

Democrats are split between establishment Democrats and progressive Democrats. Cory Booker is the front-runner for the establishment, with Elizabeth Warren the front-runner for the former Bernie Sanders supporters. Other establishment challengers are moderate Martin Heinrich, liberal Kirsten Gillibrand, and first-year senator Kamala Harris. Other progressives include working-class hero Sherrod Brown, populist Alan Grayson, and military veteran Tulsi Gabbard. Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz hopes to be a liberal alternative to a CEO-President like Donald Trump. Two other possible candidates are 2016 nominee Hillary Clinton and Julian Castro.  

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

R3.jpg

Vcczar, where can  download this scenario...? I've been waiting, what, 1 or 2 days for the chance to smoke Trump-Pence as Warren-Booker, lol...

@Take Me to La Riva

I'm still working on it. I am adding some new issues, and I'm having some trouble quickly coming up with each stance on the issues. I'll appreciate anyone willing to help in this regard. 

33 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Take Me to La Riva

I'm still working on it. I am adding some new issues, and I'm having some trouble quickly coming up with each stance on the issues. I'll appreciate anyone willing to help in this regard.

A Trump presidency would, of course, change the default stances on a number of issues, like Health Care, Trade, Immigration, Russia (assuming that became it's own issue), Middle East Conflict (a fusion of the traditional War on Terror and Iran issues), and even possibly NATO (though he may not get enough votes in the Senate to annul this treaty, or even the TPPA or NAFTA treaties, as, if I'm not mistaken annulling or renegotiating a treaty requires the same 2/3 majority Senate vote as ratifying a treaty in the US Constitution). And his opinions and views on North Korea seem entirely contradictory - on one hand, he mulled giving South Korea and Japan nuclear weapons to defend themselves against it; on the other, he said he felt Kim Jong-un needed a mentor figure internationally, initimating he'd be willing to volunteer for the job.

These are the issues that I'm adding in addition to those already in the game (I'm changing Gay Marriage to LGBT Rights): 

1. China
  2. Russia
  3. Cyber Security
  4. Election Reform
  5. Transparency
  6. Police
  7. Equal Pay
  8. Refugees
  9. NATO
  10. War on Drugs
  11. Student Debt
  12. Political Reform
  13. Financial Regulation
  14. Gridlock

So telling me what each ideological stance on these would be helpful. Otherwise, I can try my best. 

2 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

Tim Kaine?

Andrew Cuomo?

I don't think either will run. Kaine is too establishment for 2020. Cuomo's time has passed. Maybe it will arrive again. 

The next thing I'm working on, after remaking the issues, is adding a ton of events so it feels like a live scenario. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

I don't think either will run. Kaine is too establishment for 2020. Cuomo's time has passed. Maybe it will arrive again. 

Another Cuomo who misses his chance at the big chair, eh...? Guess Cuomo Clan fans'll have to wait for the 3rd generation...Cuomo III in 2052!

One guy i never see in these scenarios or planned scenarios is Mark Cuban. I'd suggest his inclusion, at least as a VP possibility. He's been trolling that he'd perhaps make a run in 2020. He was openly indicating that he wanted the VP spot on either ticket this time around....

Also, i'm wondering what you'll be doing about third parties in this scenario; any plans? I could probably provide some and stances...

8 hours ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

Another Cuomo who misses his chance at the big chair, eh...? Guess Cuomo Clan fans'll have to wait for the 3rd generation...Cuomo III in 2052!

One guy i never see in these scenarios or planned scenarios is Mark Cuban. I'd suggest his inclusion, at least as a VP possibility. He's been trolling that he'd perhaps make a run in 2020. He was openly indicating that he wanted the VP spot on either ticket this time around....

Also, i'm wondering what you'll be doing about third parties in this scenario; any plans? I could probably provide some and stances...

Awesome. I haven't thought about 3rd parties, or even how powerful they'll be, or who will be the nominees. 

If you could post some potential stances on those issues above, that will be helpful. I've added some, but I'm not quite happy with the stances, I don't think. I'm basically hoping to crank out a rough draft of this, and then improve it based on feedback. The events part will take some time, but it will make the election fun. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Awesome. I haven't thought about 3rd parties, or even how powerful they'll be, or who will be the nominees.

If you could post some potential stances on those issues above, that will be helpful. I've added some, but I'm not quite happy with the stances, I don't think. I'm basically hoping to crank out a rough draft of this, and then improve it based on feedback. The events part will take some time, but it will make the election fun.

A question. I know I've brought this up a few times now, but, given Trump's win just now, and gubernatorial wins in the past 20 years by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura, you can't completely discount the "celebrity candidate factor," will you at all take Kanye West's boast to run in 2020 seriously, even as an uncommitted candidate?

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

A question. I know I've brought this up a few times now, but, given Trump's win just now, and gubernatorial wins in the past 20 years by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura, you can't completely discount the "celebrity candidate factor," will you at all take Kanye West's boast to run in 2020 seriously, even as an uncommitted candidate?

Those are good points. If I add anyone else, it will be after the first release. I might do a poll to see who to add. Those that I am adding are people that I think are likely to run, and likely to stay until Iowa. I don't think Mark Cuban actually runs. He really doesn't interview well on the politics, and seems kind of half serious. I'm not sure about Kanye either. 

What would you think about adding a potential/optional Joseph P Kennedy III? He'll only be 40 by that time, that much is true, but if he were to run and win as governor in 2018, he could have a real chance of competing. 

1 hour ago, CalebsParadox said:

What would you think about adding a potential/optional Joseph P Kennedy III? He'll only be 40 by that time, that much is true, but if he were to run and win as governor in 2018, he could have a real chance of competing. 

That's possible. I might make him a VP option. I'll vote on potential candidates to add later. 

I've done events for October and November, averaging about one unique event for every 3 days. 

A VP option is a much better idea, actually! If he does get added as a candidate, default turned off would be key. I'm looking forward to the release of this, good work and great ideas so far!

46 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

A VP option is a much better idea, actually! If he does get added as a candidate, default turned off would be key. I'm looking forward to the release of this, good work and great ideas so far!

Maybe also have Huntsman turned-off for the Democrats as well (with a house rule written in his bio that he can only be turned on for one or the other) if he gets sick of the extreme path the GOP is going and becomes a centre to centre-right Democrat like Kaine, Webb, Nixon (the recent governor, not the disgraced former president), Bayh, Donnelly, Nelson, and Herseth-Sandin. Actually, such a route could be possible for Kasich too.

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

Maybe also have Huntsman turned-off for the Democrats as well (with a house rule written in his bio that he can only be turned on for one or the other) if he gets sick of the extreme path the GOP is going and becomes a centre to centre-right Democrat like Kaine, Webb, Nixon (the recent governor, not the disgraced former president), Bayh, Donnelly, Nelson, and Herseth-Sandin. Actually, such a route could be possible for Kasich too.

Huntsman is actually rumored to be aiming for Orrin Hatch's seat as an Independent. I have him as an independent, but running under the Republican banner. I think Huntsman is fundamentally too economically conservative for Democrats. He's just willing to compromise a lot more than Republicans are, but he's really about as right-wing as Kasich and Christie. 

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Huntsman is actually rumored to be aiming for Orrin Hatch's seat as an Independent. I have him as an independent, but running under the Republican banner. I think Huntsman is fundamentally too economically conservative for Democrats. He's just willing to compromise a lot more than Republicans are, but he's really about as right-wing as Kasich and Christie.

One thing I greatly admired about Christie was his pragmatism. Though philosophically centre-right (right on fiscal issues), he didn't tend to get hung up on ideological purity and endlessly vetohammer everything his Democratic-dominated legislature put out just in pure protest, effectively shutting down the state...

Update: I'm in mid-March 2020 with the events, averaging about one every 3 days. It's getting pretty intense and chaotic. 

Democratic

• I would hesitate on nixing Senator Kaine, if only because he now has a national profile and has a lot of appeal among Centrist Democrats. Now whether he would actually carry the nomination is a good question, and I personally doubt he would given the proposed field and environment, but I see no reason why he wouldn't opt to give it a shot when he'd be polling in the double-digits.
  • I'd argue Cory Booker's presence in the race would be much smaller, if only because most of the establishment would be backing Tim Kaine, and he has managed to alienate quite a number of key people who would be strategically vital for a successful bid. That, and it wouldn't be hard to paint him as being overly friendly will Wall-Street, his attacks on Obama regarding Bain Capital coming to mind.
  • Bernie Sanders is definitely making some noise, and while I doubt he will actually run in lieu of another Progressive, I believe it would be fair to have him as an "Off" candidate, with the caveat that both Tulsi Gabbard and Elizabeth Warren should be turned "Off" should he be activated.
  • People are making noise about both of Minnesota's Senators, Al Franken and Amy Klobucher.

Republican

• Don't really have anything to say at the moment actually.

32 minutes ago, Lahbas said:

Democratic

• I would hesitate on nixing Senator Kaine, if only because he now has a national profile and has a lot of appeal among Centrist Democrats. Now whether he would actually carry the nomination is a good question, and I personally doubt he would given the proposed field and environment, but I see no reason why he wouldn't opt to give it a shot when he'd be polling in the double-digits.
  • I'd argue Cory Booker's presence in the race would be much smaller, if only because most of the establishment would be backing Tim Kaine, and he has managed to alienate quite a number of key people who would be strategically vital for a successful bid. That, and it wouldn't be hard to paint him as being overly friendly will Wall-Street, his attacks on Obama regarding Bain Capital coming to mind.
  • Bernie Sanders is definitely making some noise, and while I doubt he will actually run in lieu of another Progressive, I believe it would be fair to have him as an "Off" candidate, with the caveat that both Tulsi Gabbard and Elizabeth Warren should be turned "Off" should he be activated.
  • People are making noise about both of Minnesota's Senators, Al Franken and Amy Klobucher.

Republican

• Don't really have anything to say at the moment actually.

@Lahbas

Thanks for your feedback. I'll add Kaine and Sanders, and possibly Franken and Klobuchar as OFF candidates. I'll most likely have people vote on who they think is most likely to run in 2020. I'm not including Kaine for the first release because, as you say, the environment isn't right for him. Since I think this is the case, Booker's presence is fairly strong.In fact, he's the preferred establishment candidate, giving it a fresher and younger appearance than had Clinton, Biden, or even Kaine. If Sanders is ON, then I'd probably also turn OFF Sherrod Brown. Although, I can't see Bernie Sanders running when he's nearing 80. I'd love Franken to run. Klobuchar lacks national campaign presence. She's an excellent politician, but after Trump, I don't think any candidate has a shot unless they have some sort of flair. I'm glad you mentioned both of these people, though. I'll add all these suggestions to the poll of potential candidates for the 2nd upgrade. 

I'm skeptical on giving Kaine a big boost, for two reasons:

1) He isn't the most charismatic man in the world.

2) He is tied to the Clinton campaign, which lost an election that many predicted she should've won. 

In short, he is essentially Walter Mondale- a fairly successful senator from a swing state that has the misfortune of being connected to a failed campaign.

Now here's a list of Dems that you should consider:

Tim Ryan ( OH-13th District)

Xavier Becerra (CA-34th District)

Steve Bullock (MT- Gov)

Al Frankin (MN- Sen)

Bill deBlasio (NYC- Mayor)

Keith Ellison (MN- 5th District)[And on the shortlist to head the DNC, as of right now]

Maggie Hassan ( NH- Sen)

John Hickenlooper (CO-Gov)

Isn't deBlasio unpopular in NYC right now over the NYPD-African American relations issues, or has that cleared up or been forgotten in New Yorkers' minds of late?

2 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'm skeptical on giving Kaine a big boost, for two reasons:

1) He isn't the most charismatic man in the world.

2) He is tied to the Clinton campaign, which lost an election that many predicted she should've won. 

In short, he is essentially Walter Mondale- a fairly successful senator from a swing state that has the misfortune of being connected to a failed campaign.

It's funny you mention Mondale, given he ran in '84 and won the Democratic nomination fairly handily despite a spirited challenge from Gary Hart (at least once Super-Delegates are considered). For that reason I'm not entirely in disagreement, but I doubt he would be a weak candidate. As a compromise an argument could be made that his support is soft, akin to the polling strength that Joe Lieberman had during the 2004 Primaries before the Anti-War message proved overwhelming.

I'd argue against all your proposed candidates except Hasan, Franken, Bullock and Hickenlooper, for a myriad of reasons, but I don't believe that any of these candidates will have any real polling strength except maybe Franken (largely because of his previous exposure as a Comedian). There just isn't a national following for the others as far as I can tell, nor do Representatives typically perform all that well (more in appearance than as a rule though admittedly). The same can be said of New York's mayors, but Bill de Blasio has the additional problem of being rather unpopular, and there is an outside chance that he could be ousted in either the Democratic primary or the Mayoral.

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/11/17/tim-kaine-no-plans-to-run-for-president-or-vp-in-2020/21608611/

This might be helpful. I don't know if he'll stick to it between now and then, but this is what he's said.

I think he will. I think he has sense to know that he's out of style.