270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Which events since September should be included?

Which General Election Events should be included in the 2016 scenario. How powerful should they be? 

FBI scandal 10 days out. Seems to have knocked Clinton down by at least 1% nationally. 

You had best update your map, vcczar. Trump down 0.1% in Florida now,  so you can give him that. And North Carolina. And Nevada. Still not enough to tip the scales, but election night is going to be close unless something huge happens in the next week.

1 hour ago, VanMav said:

FBI scandal 10 days out. Seems to have knocked Clinton down by at least 1% nationally. 

You had best update your map, vcczar. Trump down 0.1% in Florida now,  so you can give him that. And North Carolina. And Nevada. Still not enough to tip the scales, but election night is going to be close unless something huge happens in the next week.

If you look at my more recent 10/29 map, I now have Trump with FL. 

Ah, yep. You have the same map I had a week ago. Nothing has changed on my end, though. I hope Trump wins NH and Clinton wins ME3. A tie would be the best season finale to democracy we've ever had.

10 minutes ago, VanMav said:

Ah, yep. You have the same map I had a week ago. Nothing has changed on my end, though. I hope Trump wins NH and Clinton wins ME3. A tie would be the best season finale to democracy we've ever had.

That reminds me of a colorful quote from Star Wars - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. When Palpatine declares himself Emperor, ushering in a "greater era the Republic EVER knew" and outlaws the Jedi before the Senate, Bail Organa says to Mon Mothma, 'So this is how democracy and freedom end - with thunderous applause."

At this stage, how can you not be pleading for it to be ended.

Just now, VanMav said:

At this stage, how can you not be pleading for it to be ended.

Here's an interesting article. The Republicans are always the ones up in arms about voter malfeasance and fraud and rigged elections of late, but maybe at least some of them are slipping in their own irregularities to try to get an edge.

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/10/31/naacp-files-a-lawsuit-in-north-carolina-over-voter-registration/21595706/

I wish for some sensible Voter ID laws. Make the ID free, but make it necessary to vote in any state. End the "voter roll" system, you should not need to be registered to vote, but you should need some form of photo identification which shows your citizenship status.

2 minutes ago, VanMav said:

I wish for some sensible Voter ID laws. Make the ID free, but make it necessary to vote in any state. End the "voter roll" system, you should not need to be registered to vote, but you should need some form of photo identification which shows your citizenship status.

Here in Canada, Conservative PM Stephen Harper instituted a voter ID law similar to many of the US states that have. He still lost to Liberal leader Justin Trudeau in 2011, though, but the law MAY (it's unverified) have hurt the New Democrats, who lost a LOT of seats in that election.

I suspect Voter ID laws may only hurt around the very edges. And if implemented properly, they ought to only damage the party who is most helped by electoral fraud. Australia has begun some investigation and possible implementation after the last election, where people were voting for there friends or housemates who didn't want to go in to vote (compulsory voting here).

20 hours ago, Patine said:

That reminds me of a colorful quote from Star Wars - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. When Palpatine declares himself Emperor, ushering in a "greater era the Republic EVER knew" and outlaws the Jedi before the Senate, Bail Organa says to Mon Mothma, 'So this is how democracy and freedom end - with thunderous applause."

Padme actually says this.

14 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Padme actually says this.

Ah, my mistake. I had forgotten they originally had an actress and role for a young Mon Mothma (canonically, only the older version of the character appears in official movies in the Rebel Briefing before the attack on the Second Death Star in RotJ), and that actress appears in a number of cut scenes that come with the Special Edition DvD, and she appears in those roles in the official novelization of RotS by Matt Stover, which I read before actually watching the movie, but most of her roles and lines in the officially released RotS where filled in the end by Padme, but, for some, I remembered that as being part of a discourse between Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, as it was in the novel, hence the discrepancy.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, my mistake. I had forgotten they originally had an actress and role for a young Mon Mothma (canonically, only the older version of the character appears in official movies in the Rebel Briefing before the attack on the Second Death Star in RotJ), and that actress appears in a number of cut scenes that come with the Special Edition DvD, and she appears in those roles in the official novelization of RotS by Matt Stover, which I read before actually watching the movie, but most of her roles and lines in the officially released RotS where filled in the end by Padme, but, for some, I remembered that as being part of a discourse between Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, as it was in the novel, hence the discrepancy.

Makes sense that you would remember the thing the you learned first.

I think this scenario will have so many events, mostly negative, that the player would have little control over anything, except for trying to not completely collapse. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think this scenario will have so many events, mostly negative, that the player would have little control over anything, except for trying to not completely collapse.

But, a lot of those events would be completely untriggered if the player came out of the Primaries with, for example, a Sanders vs. Cruz GE, which, albeit, would be a matter of greater extremes of policy (Bloomberg may have even fulfilled his ideal of jumping in as a viable centrist Independent in such a case), but the two main parties' candidates' integrity (or lack thereof) likely wouldn't be the issue so much as each trying to sell platforms more extreme than is typical of major parties' GE candidates in the US of late.