270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Viktor Yanushchenkovic

No Prime Minister Forever UK

Whatever its vices, whatever its virtues, the Electoral College is interesting; so interesting that a highly playable and entertaining simulation game could be made of it.

British politics may have centuries of tradition, its extremely dated.

effectively, for those not in the know, its as corrupt and party-disciplined as the House of Reps (gerrymandering), whilst elected nearly as often as the Senate- but the gov. can pick the actual date. Anyone can be in cabinet when the PM wants. Plus no mid-term elections and 650 constituencies that always vote nationally and so the worst kind of politician can be elected with 'labour' of 'conservative' next to his name. No supreme court, either, because there's no constitution-our 'Bill of Rights' was written centuries ago and it protects politicians.

Every other 'western' nation has a 'Freedom of Information Act' but we alone have an 'Official Secrets Act', so if it a civils servant reveals to an elected representative that the government was lying/cheating/killing babies, he can be prosecuted for it.

Its like the Presidency and Congress but guaranteed accountability-free, absent of either check or balance.

Pardon me, but I am very much looking forward to PMF UK.

Regardless of whether you are or not, there are a lot of people here like me that are practically pissing our pants with excitement at the prospect of a simulation of UK politics, plus unlimited parties.

Is PM4E: UK gonna include all the dinky little parties, too? Greens, UUP, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Symru, etc.

Now, allow me to debate some of these claims.

effectively, for those not in the know, its as corrupt and party-disciplined as the House of Reps (gerrymandering), whilst elected nearly as often as the Senate- but the gov. can pick the actual date.
Government-selected dates for elections are a regular thing in many countries. Just because the US does something different doesn't mean it's right. And the UK Parliament is a hell of a lot more interesting and fun to watch than almost any other parliament in the world BECAUSE of the gerrymandering, floor-crossing, and weekly backbencher scandals. Furthermore, because party lines are looser, MPs have more authority and power to do what their constituents elected them to do instead of just always taking the whip and following the party line, which, IMO, is a very good thing.
Anyone can be in cabinet when the PM wants.
So? Cabinet Minsiter has become a very administrative role over the past 20 years. The Civil Service does practically all the work, the minister only has to defend it, do press conferences, explain and understand key policy, and answer questions in the house of commons. That's right: The British Cabinet is actually directly accountable to somebody other than the President. Also, IMO, a good thing.
Plus no mid-term elections and 650 constituencies that always vote nationally and so the worst kind of politician can be elected with 'labour' of 'conservative' next to his name.
I don't see how mid-term elections are a good thing, or how making sure people are represented by such a large number of MPs is a bad thing. England is a complex country with a population of over 60 million people. At 650 constituencies, that's about 250 000 people to an MP... Hardly an obscenely low number. It means MPs are accountable directly to those who elected them, means they are more likely to break with party ranks and vote their conscience, and, IMO, is a target for democracy around the world to aim for.
No supreme court, either, because there's no constitution-our 'Bill of Rights' was written centuries ago and it protects politicians.
This is misleading, as it suggests all British courts are equal... They aren't. They have their equivelant to the Supreme Court, they just don't call it that. And their Human Rights Act protects everyone under the law, politicians included.
Every other 'western' nation has a 'Freedom of Information Act' but we alone have an 'Official Secrets Act', so if it a civils servant reveals to an elected representative that the government was lying/cheating/killing babies, he can be prosecuted for it.
Do you have any idea how regularly a backbencher is splashed across the front pages of 9 or 10 tabloids for lying/cheating/killing babies? The Civil Service has an obligation to keep government secrets, or else the government may as well invite reporters to private meetings. Would a government work if it wasn't allowed to have anything declared private?
Its like the Presidency and Congress but guaranteed accountability-free, absent of either check or balance.
You're kidding, right? The press and opposition do an excellent job of holding the UK government to account because, unlike in the US, if the government loses a single vote in the house of commons, it could be the end of it. That's accountability at it's finest.

Pardon me, but I am very much looking forward to PMF UK.

Regardless of whether you are or not, there are a lot of people here like me that are practically pissing our pants with excitement at the prospect of a simulation of UK politics, plus unlimited parties.

I agree Appel, unlimited parties would be awesome! I am also intested in British politics! :)

No less than 24 hours ago, a Cabinet minister resigned the 3rd best position in British politics because of the actions of his own office - not necesarrily what he did, but what they did in his name. Now's that responsibility and accountability!

Every other 'western' nation has a 'Freedom of Information Act' but we alone have an 'Official Secrets Act'.

The British do actually make non-classified documents publically available, and all classified documents are declassified and released after 30 years unless there are still issues of national security. And all countries have something similar to the Official Secrets Act. The two types of act you mention are not all related, both British and other world governments have both.

whilst elected nearly as often as the Senate- but the gov. can pick the actual date

True, but it's worth mentioning that there is a 5 year maximum between elections, and these days tend to be 4 years apart, the same length as a Presidential term. And in 1970 there were two general elections.

No supreme court, either, because there's no constitution-our 'Bill of Rights' was written centuries ago and it protects politicians.

Britain does have a constitution, and a written one at that - it's just not codified (all written in one place). And though there is no Supreme Court there are the Law Lords who are the highest court of appeal, and who today ruled the detention without trial of terror suspects is illegal. Why was it illegal? Because it contravened the Human Rights Act, which acts a Bill of Rights.

That's your opinion, not the word of god. Just because you don't care about UK politics doesn't mean NOBODY cares. Sheesh.

Is unlimited parties going to be part of PMFUK?

Great! It'll certainly set off a chain of updating scenarios, with every renewing scenarios with more candidates.

i said "i think"

Well theres a first time for everything! ;)

Yes, some day you to may achieve the same thing that he did, but it does not look to likely at the current.

You clearly will never reach this achievement but will flounder in obscurity for all your days!

i said "i think"

Well theres a first time for everything! ;)

Yes, some day you to may achieve the same thing that he did, but it does not look to likely at the current.

You clearly will never reach this achievement but will flounder in obscurity for all your days!

Well this warents a witty come back, so, OH YEAH :P