270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2000 Election: Poll

This election follows the popular presidency of Bill Clinton, which saw much economic expansion. However, his presidency has been rocked by personal scandal.   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which candidate do you support in the 2000 Election?

• Al Gore - TN - Moderate Democrat (balance labor with business, moderate on Health care, guns and campaign finance reform. Supports social programs. Favors peacekeeping missions. Continue Clinton economic policies. Fiscal restraint. Major focus on investing in technology and environment)
    • George W. Bush - TX - Moderate Republican (pro-business, opposes peacekeeping missions and nation-building, supports Social Security and most social programs, pro-guns, cater to religious right, cut taxes, protecting minorities, increased funding to education, welfare reform, increase foreign aid to poor countries, focus on natural resources--such as oil)
    • John McCain - AZ - Moderate Republican (pro-business, focus on campaign finance reform, welfare reform, tax reform, stronger foreign policy, social centrist--overall a more hawkish and reformist version of Bush's platform)
  2. 2. As a member of Congress, do you support the concept of foreign aid and peacekeeping missions?

• Yes to both - Both of these allow us to help our allies or potential allies. It is also an investments in that country to help us in the future. By helping them, we also expand our influence within their country and their region. It's also the right thing to do for humanitarian reasons.
    • I favor foreign aid but not peacekeeping missions - I agree with sending needy countries money, supplies and weapons in order to maintain stability or to help us in our priorities, but peacekeeping missions put our soldiers at risk and get us too involved in their issues.
    • I favor peacekeeping missions but not foreign aid - I think it is wasteful spending to give countries money when it never goes to the people that need it, a lot of the time. At least with peacekeeping missions, we can control the situation with our military.
    • No to both - Most of the foreign aid does not get to the people that need it and the Peacekeeping missions just put our troops at risk, and get us bogged down into escalated situations.
    • I don't know/ I don't care.
  3. 3. As a member of Congress, do you think Al Gore made a mistake by distancing himself from the popular, but scandal-plagued Bill Clinton?

• Yes - If I were Al Gore I'd have Bill Clinton campaigning with me as much as possible, to convince voters that my administration could be as economically sound as his. Questions about the scandal could easily be brushed aside.
    • No - I think avoiding an impeached president, even if he's popular, makes it clear that you fault his behavior. It also allows you to appear to be somewhat unattached to the administration, and not just a 3rd term Clinton.
    • I don't know. I don't care.

Here's 2000. 10 votes and I go to 2004. Past polls are in the forum.

This election was the first election I voted in. I watched a few of the debates, but both candidates seemed rather the same to me -- both running as centrists. I was barely old enough to vote. I was definitely more centrist when I was young, and I stupidly voted for George W. Bush, a vote I regret. I simply voted for him since I, too, was from Texas. I found Al Gore to be so plastic as to be insincere. Fortunately, I'm a much more informed voter and wiser than I was in 2000. 

Also, I've started the semester, so the rest of these might not be as detailed as the previous polls, since I'll be spending about 10 minutes on them instead of 15 to 30 minutes. Also, I may only post one poll every day or two. I'll try to keep up with the 10 votes though. 

@vcczar

Honestly, Gore is likely to be my favorite politician from the modern era. He had a lot of potential, and I still believed he rightfully deserved the Presidency in 2000. 

Yeah. This election also shows you how much Bush veered from his campaign platform. 

24 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah. This election also shows you how much Bush veered from his campaign platform. 

yeah when I saw "opposed to nation building" my jaw dropped

1)Bush, I would have preferred Keyes or Hatch

2)3

3)No

1) George W. Bush

2) No to both

3) No