270soft Forum
vcczar

1968 Election: Poll

This election takes place amid the protests of the Vietnam War. LBJ was elected in a popular landslide, but his foreign policy has forced him out of the race for the presidency.   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which candidate do you support in the 1968 election?

• Richard Nixon - NY - moderate Republican (supports some of the Great Society programs, vows to handle Vietnam War better, balance business with labor, rebuild urban slums and rural areas, hard on crime, fund NASA)
    • Nelson Rockefeller - NY - liberal Republican (supports most of the Great Society programs, critical of Vietnam, balance business with labor, fund NASA)
    • Ronald Reagan - CA - conservative Republican (opposes most of the Great Society programs, vows to be more aggressive with Vietnam and Communist countries, pro-business, limited government, fiscal conservative, hard on crime)
    • Hubert Humphrey - MN - liberal Democrat (support the Great Society, more or less in line with LBJ on Vietnam, pro-labor, fund NASA)
    • Robert F. Kennedy - MA - progressive Democrat (supports the Great Society, opposes Vietnam War, pro-labor, focusing on Civil Rights and anti-poverty legislation, reform elections, Fund NASA)
    • Eugene McCarthy - MN - progressive Democrat (supports the Great Society, strongly opposes Vietnam War, pro-labor, favored by intellectuals, reform elections, fund NASA)
    • George McGovern - SD - liberal Democrat (supports the Great Society, somewhat opposes Vietnam War, pro-labor, reform elections, fund NASA)
    • George Wallace - AL - States Rights American Independent (opposes most of the Great Society--especially Civil Rights, segregationist, supports Vietnam War--vows to be more aggressive with the possibility of using nukes, limited government, states rights)
  2. 2. As a member of Congress, what is your view on the Vietnam War strategy?

• We should be more aggressive, escalating the war, possibly using nukes.
    • We should be more aggressive, escalating the war, but we should not use nukes.
    • We should keep the war going, but not escalate it any further, and not use nukes.
    • We should slowly withdrawal from the War and cobble together a dignified peace.
    • We should immediately withdrawal and admit our mistake for entering the war.
  3. 3. As a member of Congress, did you support the military draft?

• Yes, if we cannot get enough volunteers for our excursions, then we should always draft our citizens for war.
    • Yes. Although, not until we appeared to be losing the war.
    • No. However, I do support a military draft in the cases of defense, since our country is in peril. This draft was uncalled for. People died when they didn't want to fight.
    • No. We get one life and people shouldn't be forced to put their lives in peril if they don't want to. I never favor a draft, even in self-defense.

20 hours ago, Patine said:

I bet you would condemn someone from Germany (or Austria, for that matter) who had pride in an ancestor who was a Nazi Party Member or SS Officer and their activities, but would still claim that this was something entirely different. It NOT different, in the grand scheme of things!

While I think it is different 70 versus 150 years and the Nazis still exist causing trouble, I would never fault someone for taking pride in their family.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

While I think it is different 70 versus 150 years and the Nazis still exist causing trouble, I would never fault someone for taking pride in their family.

I think, given the KKK still exists and is active, that the negative aspects of Confederate policy still exist and are causing trouble today.

Just now, Patine said:

I think, given the KKK still exists and is active, that the negative aspects of Confederate policy still exist and are causing trouble today.

The KKK isn't active like the Nazis are, and they don't go and lynch and kill, like Nazis are doing, and they are aren't running for office like the Nazis are.

Yes they do, and yes they are. Maybe significantly less often than in the 1960's, but Robert Byrd, the longest-serving US Senator, who died in office in 2012, never did renounce publically his ties to the KKK, whose backing won him several elections. A few Southern elected officials (mostly local and state level, not so much federal anymore) are believed to be tied to them, or even still be members. The Confederate Flag issue recently sharply divided public opinion in the South, and the KKK was right there stirring up the debate. Also, Neo-Nazis don't lynch people openly nowadays anymore often than the KKK do, statistically speaking. Both groups have had to cut down on extra-judicial mob killings majorly due to less tolerant, more effective law enforcement.

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

Yes they do, and yes they are. Maybe significantly less often than in the 1960's, but Robert Byrd, the longest-serving US Senator, who died in office in 2012, never did renounce publically his ties to the KKK, whose backing won him several elections. A few Southern elected officials (mostly local and state level, not so much federal anymore) are believed to be tied to them, or even still be members. The Confederate Flag issue recently sharply divided public opinion in the South, and the KKK was right there stirring up the debate. Also, Neo-Nazis don't lynch people openly nowadays anymore often than the KKK do, statistically speaking. Both groups have had to cut down on extra-judicial mob killings majorly due to less tolerant, more effective law enforcement.

I think you go over Germany that its a bit different, I don't think yu understand my stance, if your live in Germany or Austria I can't blame you for your pride, if you now live in America, I can and will because they are not American. The Confederacy is a part of American history. The Nazis are German.

So, the moral rightness of something in an objective sense is based on one's nationality? I haven't heard ludricrous claptrap to THAT level for some time, at least outside of parody...

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

So, the moral rightness of something in an objective sense is based on one's nationality? I haven't heard ludricrous claptrap to THAT level for some time, at least outside of parody...

No I'm saying that's it's very acceptable to take pride in your ancestors if you are still a member of that nation which the history is involves, in America, we are Americans and honoring German history and culture is not what to do.

17 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

No I'm saying that's it's very acceptable to take pride in your ancestors if you are still a member of that nation which the history is involves, in America, we are Americans and honoring German history and culture is not what to do.

So, let me get this straight. In a country where every current citizen, other than Native Americans, Alaskan Inuit, Aleuts, and ethnic Hawai'ians, have a traceable heritage in recorded history within the last less than 400 years (at most) of coming from immigrant stock, having ANY pride at all about ancestors who were not living in the US is NOT acceptable, BUT having pride in any ancestor who lived in the US, even if they were a part of amongst the most despicable and horrid parts of US history, is acceptable, and, in fact, encouraged and pressured? That seems like a VERY warped and twisted perspective to me...

1 minute ago, Patine said:

So, let me get this straight. In a country where every current citizen, other than Native Americans, Alaskan Inuit, Aleuts, and ethnic Hawai'ians, have a traceable heritage in recorded history within the last less than 400 years (at most) of coming from immigrant stock, having ANY pride at all about ancestors who were not living in the US is NOT acceptable, BUT having pride in any ancestor who lived in the US, even if they were a part of amongst the most despicable and horrid parts of US history, is acceptable, and, in fact, encouraged and pressured? That seems like a VERY warped and twisted perspective to me...

No I was not being clear I'm saying that for this applies to those ancestors that erred, if your graetx24 grandfather invented the German system of currency as we know it, I would hope you'd be proud.

No I was not being clear I'm saying that for this applies to those ancestors that erred, if your graetx24 grandfather invented the German system of currency as we know it, I would hope you'd be proud.

No, you're not being clear. You're trying to set up one of those muddied, ill-defined, nebulous standards that so many "moral authorities" (or so they think of themselves as) like to do where the lack of clear definition and prerequisites allow them to declare that they and those they support are "right" by it, and those they disapprove of are "wrong" by it, even if doing, effectively, the same thing. It's a very common tactic, nowadays, and a deplorable one.

19 minutes ago, Patine said:

No, you're not being clear. You're trying to set up one of those muddied, ill-defined, nebulous standards that so many "moral authorities" (or so they think of themselves as) like to do where the lack of clear definition and prerequisites allow them to declare that they and those they support are "right" by it, and those they disapprove of are "wrong" by it, even if doing, effectively, the same thing. It's a very common tactic, nowadays, and a deplorable one.

I'm sorry its coming across unclear let the passage you quoted supersede those prior.

I'm sorry its coming across unclear let the passage you quoted supersede those prior.

Clear as mud, once again! You've got the evasive, roundabout sort of talk associated with the bad stereotype of politicians under way as a skill. You have to start on the other skills and traits of a political leader now... :P

Just now, Patine said:

Clear as mud, once again! You've got the evasive, roundabout sort of talk associated with the bad stereotype of politicians under way as a skill. You have to start on the other skills and traits of a political leader now... :P

Haha... so true.....

But I don't want it to be muddled for you I truly don't my friend.

-Bobby Kennedy

-Keep the war further with no escalating

-No.People shouldnt be forced to sacrifice their lives.

-Robert Kennedy

-Slow Withdrawal

-anti draft