270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

What is the purpose of the Federal Government to you

In your own words, and in the fewest and clearest words, answer the following questions: 

Question #1: What do you think is the purpose of the Federal Government. 

Question #2: What do you think is the meaning of the "necessary and proper clause"? 

Question #3: If you were allowed to make one amendment to the Constitution, what would it be? Why? 

1) I believe that the purpose of the federal government is to sustain the union and its culture and values and keep us safe through the police military and courts.

2)It gives Congress the power to run the government as said above, It is basically saying that Congress is the boss and that in order to run the government and to abide by the Constitution it may enact laws that will uphold those duties.

3)(This is where it gets hella partisan) I would say a federal life amendment as the federal government is not doing a good job keeping 58 million of its citizens safe every year,  in 2nd place would be a federal marriage amendment in keeping the building block of the nation together, the family.

How about you @vcczar?

Purpose of the government, in my mind, is to defend the core liberties that all people are offered. Another purpose is to uphold these liberties in public practice, whether it be through the judiciary or through the military in physical defense.

I think the clause allows for the Congress to enforce the Constitutional privileges stated beforehand in purpose of a functioning government.

I would make no amendment to the Constitution, but if forced I would probably support some amendment moving towards electoral reform, maybe in relation to independent district drawing or a change from FPTP.

1) The purpose of the federal government, to me, is to create, legislate, execute constitutional laws on behalf of the people, in accordance with the changes of each generation, and in accordance to universal laws espoused by the creators of the Declaration of Independence.

2) The "necessary and proper" clause was included because the wise creators of our Constitution knew that they could not predict the future, or name all necessary and proper things. This elastic clause was agreed upon by every state, as a measure to deal with unforeseen problems. In my opinion, the most genius and farsighted portion of the Constitution.

3) Since @streiner has suggest the amendment I'd most like to see, I'll add a new one. An amendment that limits Senators and US Reps to two terms. 

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

45 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Great Answer!